Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 5 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 5 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New England, December, 2019
by countrynaturals Today at 11:05 am

» What are your best Greenhouse tips for a first timer?
by countrynaturals Today at 10:54 am

» Container Gardening
by countrynaturals Today at 10:06 am

» new member needs help
by Dan in Ct Today at 9:56 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Today at 9:37 am

» Brand new in SW Idaho
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:48 am

» Is this the right place?
by Kelejan Today at 6:21 am

» What, no French Fries?
by Kelejan Today at 6:19 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by yolos Yesterday at 11:56 pm

» N&C Midwest: November/December 2019!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing October to December 2019
by Kelejan Yesterday at 7:07 pm

» Fifth Year SFG in Canada
by Kelejan Yesterday at 6:30 pm

» Greenhouse Dollhouse
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:13 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:35 pm

» Potato Seeds, not Seed Potatoes
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:06 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:05 pm

» Hydrogen Peroxide
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:27 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Awesome Weather Site
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:21 pm

» Hi I’m new
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» 2018/2019 SFG in Brooks, GA
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» Serrano Peppers
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:51 pm

» What will you do different?
by Dan in Ct Yesterday at 3:47 pm

» December Avatar: 'Tis The Season!
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:20 am

» Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time
by countrynaturals 12/3/2019, 8:32 pm

» Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots
by countrynaturals 12/3/2019, 8:11 pm

» Friday Rookie Topics 2012
by countrynaturals 12/3/2019, 7:56 pm

» FRIDAY'S ROOKIE TOPIC XV, KOHLRABI
by countrynaturals 12/3/2019, 7:51 pm

» Friday Rookie Topic XIV: Potato Onions
by Scorpio Rising 12/2/2019, 8:10 pm

» Mid-South: December
by yolos 12/1/2019, 4:39 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 5 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  markqz on 10/23/2019, 10:32 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
@Cajun Cappy wrote:Ahhhh here is a post about the long beans from a couple years ago that includes me in a goofy video we really love them and often grow them.
https://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2015/07/our-yard-long-beansseriously.html
They're so prolific, and take up so little actual garden space, I don't see any reason to grow any other variety. alrighta

Are you both talking about the same kind of beans, and where do you source the seeds? I've always concentrated on the bush beans on the theory that they might live long to provide a harvest. But this looks fun.

Thanks!
markqz
markqz

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 5 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  countrynaturals on 10/23/2019, 10:51 pm

@markqz wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:
@Cajun Cappy wrote:Ahhhh here is a post about the long beans from a couple years ago that includes me in a goofy video we really love them and often grow them.
https://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2015/07/our-yard-long-beansseriously.html
They're so prolific, and take up so little actual garden space, I don't see any reason to grow any other variety. alrighta

Are you both talking about the same kind of beans, and where do you source the seeds? I've always concentrated on the bush beans on the theory that they might live long to provide a harvest. But this looks fun.

Thanks!
I think there are different varieties, but they're all very similar. They're called asparagus beans, yard-long beans, Chinese long beans (or something like that) and I've seen them at Home Depot. Here's what Baker Creek has to offer:

Baker Creek Long Beans

The best part is that you'll never have to buy another bean seed. These guys are so prolific, you'll get more than you could possibly eat or freeze, with enough left over to dry, save, and share with all of your gardening friends. I love you

Another advantage to these over bush beans is that a bush bean plant can take up a whole square. With these, you could get 4 plants along the back of a square, where they could grow out and up, and you could still have whatever else you want in that same square. For example, I have kale and peppers in front of mine.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 4989

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 5 Empty Cabbage and hamburger soup.

Post  MrBooker on 10/25/2019, 6:53 am

I just found this Cabbage and hamburger recipe. Going to harvest some cabbage today and give it a try.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 5 Cabbag13

Here's the link.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 5 Cabbag13
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 591

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 10/27/2019, 2:18 pm

Double photo but no link.  ? Looks delicious. It actually should be posted under the Food and Rcipes - Soups sub-forum so it doesn't get lost.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 18472

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy on 10/29/2019, 12:47 pm

back to the long beans we have 2- 4' trellises on the ends of our 12 'box.  They produce more beans than the bush beans over the whole box do take up virtually no space and the wonderful thing is they are heat resistant and keep making the whole summer.  They are hungry though with all that production and need extra feeding we use miracle grow plant food to supplement their greedy need and they really keep making. Also in the hot steamy south they get some kind of small parasite in the moist heat of summer but good ole seven dust takes care of it.
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 10/29/2019, 1:54 pm

@Cajun Cappy wrote:back to the long beans we have 2- 4' trellises on the ends of our 12 'box.  They produce more beans than the bush beans over the whole box do take up virtually no space and the wonderful thing is they are heat resistant and keep making the whole summer.  They are hungry though with all that production and need extra feeding we use miracle grow plant food to supplement their greedy need and they really keep making. Also in the hot steamy south they get some kind of small parasite in the moist heat of summer but good ole seven dust takes care of it.
We also get way more than we need, but I've never fed them anything. I will make very sure to get that bed well fed before we put anything else there, however. Thanks for the heads-up, Cappy.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener on 10/29/2019, 2:12 pm

@Cajun Cappy wrote: They are hungry though with all that production and need extra feeding we use miracle grow plant food to supplement their greedy need and they really keep making.

That is interesting. Is that because of the type of soil in your area? I have never had to feed bean plants, and always had very high production from them.  I ensure the soil is rich in nutrients before planting by adding rock dust and bone meal, but once the beans are planted the only thing they get is water. I inoculate the bean seeds before planting so that they put a lot of nitrogen in the soil, and after the beans are done I cut the plants off at the soil level and leave the roots for the microbes to convert the nitrogen to a plant-available form - I don't use chemical fertilizers, insecticides, or herbicides, so the soil is high in microbes.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 10/29/2019, 5:04 pm

Look what Bob found, hanging off the back of the kitchen balcony. This is the 2nd one from a volunteer that I almost cut off cuz I thought it was nothing but leaves. This one was a little past it, so we removed the seeds, but the flesh was sweet and crisp. It was especially good, since the rest of the cukes are just about gone. happy turtle

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 5 Volcuk11
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 10/29/2019, 7:09 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:I may try these...the problem with what I have grown is that they get these giant bulges where the “seed” bean is and they get tough.  These look bulge-free.  Are they tender?
We try to pick them before they start to bulge, but if we miss a few, we just shell them and add the shelled beans to whatever dish we're making or keep them for seeds for next season. There's a canned veggie called "field peas & snaps" that gave us the idea.
OMG, I have seen this at Krogers!  Thank you thank you thank you!  Here’s the thing, my work schedule is grueling!  It’s hit or miss if I can get out there at all during the week...dang it.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7206

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 10/29/2019, 7:10 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:Look what Bob found, hanging off the back of the kitchen balcony. This is the 2nd one from a volunteer that I almost cut off cuz I thought it was nothing but leaves. This one was a little past it, so we removed the seeds, but the flesh was sweet and crisp. It was especially good, since the rest of the cukes are just about gone. happy turtle

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 5 Volcuk11
ESCAPE!!!!  So close...
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 10/29/2019, 7:43 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:ESCAPE!!!!  So close...
Not a chance! Caught 'im and ate 'im! Twisted Evil
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener on 10/31/2019, 3:15 pm

Fresh Spinach and Rainbow Chard, good cool weather crops.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 5 Untitl12

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 5 Swiss_14
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 11/3/2019, 3:06 pm

Mr. Booker, I am awaiting your hamburger - cabbage recipe. hungry

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 18472

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz on 11/5/2019, 12:02 am

Zucchini! Most everything else I planted back in August is starting to peter out. But the zucchini is continuing to flower and tantalize with the possibility that more fruits are coming.

I'm reminded of that joke that an optimist is someone who the day after thanksgiving asks, "Is there anything to eat?"
markqz
markqz

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 11/5/2019, 10:06 pm

@markqz wrote:Zucchini! Most everything else I planted back in August is starting to peter out. But the zucchini is continuing to flower and tantalize with the possibility that more fruits are coming.

I'm reminded of that joke that an optimist is someone who the day after thanksgiving asks, "Is there anything to eat?"
My zucchini out paced the rest of my squashes too, as far as longevity!  I loved it!  My first year ever growing it, what a joy...
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 5 Empty Fresh Tomatoes for Thanksgiving

Post  Judy McConnell on 11/27/2019, 12:42 pm

Wow! First time in years  that  I will have fresh tomatoes from my garden to serve tomorrow. Had to pick green tomatoes pre-frost and they have finally ripened - just in time!
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 439

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 11/27/2019, 6:07 pm

@Judy McConnell wrote:Wow! First time in years  that  I will have fresh tomatoes from my garden to serve tomorrow. Had to pick green tomatoes pre-frost and they have finally ripened - just in time!
Perfect!  Happy Thanksgiving!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:08 pm

Had my first sweet pickles for lunch!  They were delish!  Enviable too (lol) Also for supper had an Unstuffed Pepper Casserole.   It was wonderful, yum!  Just add cheese.

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 12/4/2019, 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Took out 2 exclamation marks)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos Yesterday at 11:56 pm

Broccoli and tomato soup made with frozen tomatoes from the garden.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 3819

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum