Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers! Toplef10Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers! I22gcj10Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Today at 4:02 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 3:37 am

» Catalog season has begun!
by sanderson Today at 3:35 am

» NATIONAL SEED SWAP DAY - 2020
by sanderson Today at 3:34 am

» Upcycling milk cartons into starter packs
by markqz Yesterday at 9:36 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by markqz Yesterday at 9:23 pm

» Plant-Based Diet
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 9:05 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:19 pm

» January & February 2020 - Northern and Central Midwest
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:18 pm

» TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:05 pm

» garlic
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:03 pm

» Not new, but I've been away for a spell...
by Kelejan Yesterday at 12:46 am

» Good day to you all .The name is Gord.I am new around here,and looking forward to learning and sharing with you.
by Kelejan 1/21/2020, 11:14 am

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing January to March 2020
by Kelejan 1/21/2020, 11:04 am

» Celery
by Scorpio Rising 1/20/2020, 4:57 pm

» Gnatrol Bti for Fungus Gnats
by countrynaturals 1/19/2020, 2:51 pm

» Diabetes Friendly Garden
by trolleydriver 1/18/2020, 5:53 pm

» Hey there, small, hot and composty
by Dan in Ct 1/18/2020, 6:55 am

» Brix tests for nutrition density
by Dan in Ct 1/18/2020, 6:13 am

» Answering questions . Good day to you all .
by Scorpio Rising 1/17/2020, 9:10 pm

» Soil Microorganisms
by countrynaturals 1/17/2020, 6:04 pm

» Water and a little more ?
by Dan in Ct 1/17/2020, 4:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by LilBittyBean 1/17/2020, 2:27 pm

» Converting 1"of water.
by Gord 1/16/2020, 7:20 pm

» wheelbarrow
by yolos 1/16/2020, 4:28 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson 1/16/2020, 1:59 pm

» Eagle eggs ready to hatch in nest
by countrynaturals 1/16/2020, 11:26 am

» Biochar?
by countrynaturals 1/16/2020, 10:35 am

» New members - What is the process now for joining the Forum?
by trolleydriver 1/16/2020, 9:11 am

» Growing Celery
by Scorpio Rising 1/14/2020, 6:30 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers!

Go down

Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers! Empty Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers!

Post  countrynaturals on 9/17/2019, 4:54 pm

Once last year and twice this year, I have nurtured volunteers from the compost heap that had to have come from store-bought produce -- probably cucumbers. All 3 turned up in different locations, grew large and healthy, but only produced male blossoms (lots of them). Any chance they were deliberately altered to make them sterile? Is there any other explanation? None of my vine crops have done well this year, but this is ridiculous. Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers! 950477
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5198
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers! Empty Re: Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers!

Post  OhioGardener on 9/17/2019, 4:56 pm

CN, they most likely were hybrids, and could not reproduce.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Posts : 1309
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

Back to top Go down

Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers! Empty Re: Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers!

Post  countrynaturals on 9/17/2019, 5:38 pm

@OhioGardener wrote:CN, they most likely were hybrids, and could not reproduce.
Ah, that would explain it, and commercial growers probably use hybrids for their disease resistance. Okay, tomorrow I'm cutting down those puppies and planting something else. Razz
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5198
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers! Empty Re: Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers!

Post  markqz on 9/17/2019, 5:57 pm

Is it possible you need to wait longer?

New Mexico State University: The male flowers begin forming before the female flowers form. So, it is possible to have cucumbers blooming, but not producing fruit. The time between the first development of male flowers and the female flowers depends on plant variety and environmental conditions. Your problem may just be that the female blossoms have not formed yet.

markqz
markqz

Posts : 144
Join date : 2019-09-02
Location : Lower left hand corner

Back to top Go down

Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers! Empty Re: Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers!

Post  countrynaturals on 9/17/2019, 7:57 pm

@markqz wrote:Is it possible you need to wait longer?

New Mexico State University: The male flowers begin forming before the female flowers form. So, it is possible to have cucumbers blooming, but not producing fruit. The time between the first development of male flowers and the female flowers depends on plant variety and environmental conditions. Your problem may just be that the female blossoms have not formed yet.
One plant has had blossoms for over a month, and last year I gave it the whole season, but I won't be gardening again until Thursday, so these babies can have one more day. Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5198
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers! Empty Re: Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers!

Post  countrynaturals on 9/18/2019, 1:33 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
@markqz wrote:Is it possible you need to wait longer?

New Mexico State University: The male flowers begin forming before the female flowers form. So, it is possible to have cucumbers blooming, but not producing fruit. The time between the first development of male flowers and the female flowers depends on plant variety and environmental conditions. Your problem may just be that the female blossoms have not formed yet.
One plant has had blossoms for over a month, and last year I gave it the whole season, but I won't be gardening again until Thursday, so these babies can have one more day. Mad
Thanks, Mark. You were right. Here's a baby cuke on one of the volunteers.
Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers! Volunt16
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5198
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers! Empty Re: Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers!

Post  markqz on 9/19/2019, 2:49 pm

It might be in first gen hybrids females come first. I noticed that almost all of the squash hybrid flowers are female.

This cucumber just showed up today, even though no male flowers have shown up

Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers! MRGH6O0
markqz
markqz

Posts : 144
Join date : 2019-09-02
Location : Lower left hand corner

Back to top Go down

Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers! Empty Re: Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers!

Post  sanderson on 9/22/2019, 3:52 am

Interesting.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 18600
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 71
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers! Empty Re: Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers!

Post  No_Such_Reality on 9/22/2019, 11:14 am

@countrynaturals wrote:Once last year and twice this year, I have nurtured volunteers from the compost heap that had to have come from store-bought produce -- probably cucumbers. All 3 turned up in different locations, grew large and healthy, but only produced male blossoms (lots of them). Any chance they were deliberately altered to make them sterile? Is there any other explanation? None of my vine crops have done well this year, but this is ridiculous. Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers! 950477

Naturally occurring cucubrits start off with all male flowers then eventually switch to a combination.  They also respond to heat, water or low.light stress by producing male flowers and hold off on female.flowers until environmental conditions improve.
avatar
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 663
Join date : 2011-04-22
Location : Orange County, CA aka Disneyland or Sunset zone 22

Back to top Go down

Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers! Empty Re: Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers!

Post  plantoid on 9/22/2019, 4:34 pm

That make a lot of sense  it's been a dismal spring and early summer here in the UK .

Everything was a good month late , had several direct sowings fail to germinate . Those that I got going  either in the heat & light cabinet or the heated glass house bed  soon succumbed  to the colder than usual nights when planted out ( most nights would normally have been frost free )
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 3905
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 69

Back to top Go down

Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers! Empty Re: Conspiracy Theory - Volunteers!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum