Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 Toplef10TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 I22gcj10TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 Toplef10TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 I22gcj10TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer

+16
yolos
LilBittyBean
Yardslave
bluelacedredhead
RJARPCGP
Kelejan
mollyhespra
Scorpio Rising
Judy McConnell
donnainzone5
countrynaturals
CapeCoddess
OhioGardener
AtlantaMarie
sanderson
trolleydriver
20 posters

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 Empty Re: TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer

Post  trolleydriver 11/7/2019, 9:32 am

Today will be radiation treatment (RT) #18.  Tomorrow (Friday) #19 and the last one #20 will be on Tuesday after our long weekend. So far the side effects have been manageable.  Once the RTs are finished the waiting game will start. I meet with my radiation oncologist tomorrow to find out what happens next in terms of follow-up and testing.

Photo of the hospital campus where I am being treated. The cancer centre is on the right.
TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 Genera10
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 Empty Re: TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer

Post  Yardslave 11/7/2019, 11:06 am

Great- on the home stretch now TD TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 3170584802 TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 3170584802
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/8/2019, 6:24 pm

Yardslave wrote:Great- on the home stretch now TD TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 3170584802 TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 3170584802
+1 What did you find out at today's visit?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/8/2019, 6:37 pm

Great news!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/8/2019, 6:49 pm

sanderson wrote:
Yardslave wrote:Great- on the home stretch now TD TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 3170584802 TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 3170584802
+1   What did you find out at today's visit?
I met with a resident doctor who works with my radiation oncologist. She told me I will meet with the radiation oncologist in six months to go over the results of a PSA blood test that will be done a few days before the meeting. That will provide an idea as to whether or not the treatment has worked. The resident was very encouraging but there are no guarantees. It's going to be a long wait. I will have to occupy myself with other things to take my mind off it. Exercise is important for men like me on long term hormone therapy, so I am thinking of joining a gym (I currently exercise at home).  As well, maybe I'll take the new version of the SFG Certified Instructor Course.

BTW, at the gym I will be able to show off my big belly and new breasts Very Happy  that are side effects of hormone therapy. Among the other possible side effects are hot flashes, fatigue, body hair loss, bone loss, muscle loss, weight gain, brain fog, dementia, cardiovascular problems, diabetes, etc. Yikes!!!
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/8/2019, 7:40 pm

trolleydriver wrote:BTW, at the gym I will be able to show off my big belly and new breasts Very Happy  that are side effects of hormone therapy. Among the other possible side effects are hot flashes, fatigue, body hair loss, bone loss, muscle loss, weight gain, brain fog, dementia, cardiovascular problems, diabetes, etc. Yikes!!!
Fingers crossed you get to pass on all of the above. Sad We like you just the way you are. I love you
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/8/2019, 10:10 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:BTW, at the gym I will be able to show off my big belly and new breasts Very Happy  that are side effects of hormone therapy. Among the other possible side effects are hot flashes, fatigue, body hair loss, bone loss, muscle loss, weight gain, brain fog, dementia, cardiovascular problems, diabetes, etc. Yikes!!!
Fingers crossed you get to pass on all of the above. Sad We like you just the way you are. I love you
Thank you
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/9/2019, 4:26 am

Shocked I also hope you can pass on most of those side affects. Walk and exercise!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/9/2019, 7:16 am

Gotta love those hormones.... Big thing is to keep moving!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/9/2019, 7:58 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:Gotta love those hormones....  Big thing is to keep moving!
Absolutely. Been walking 2 miles in the hallways of the Cancer Centre before each treatment. Taking up strength training as well.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/9/2019, 9:34 am

trolleydriver wrote:
AtlantaMarie wrote:Gotta love those hormones....  Big thing is to keep moving!
Absolutely. Been walking 2 miles in the hallways of the Cancer Centre before each treatment. Taking up strength training as well.
Excellent attitude! winner
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 11/9/2019, 5:13 pm

TD,
 My father-in-law said that another side affect he experienced was having a strong desire to eat ice cream and watch movies like Beaches, Steel Magnolias, and Thelma and Louise He claims that the meds made him start to cry during the final scene of the Notebook.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/9/2019, 5:26 pm

Yardslave wrote:TD,
 My father-in-law said that another side affect he experienced was having a strong desire to eat ice cream and watch movies like Beaches, Steel Magnolias, and Thelma and Louise He claims that the meds made him start to cry during the final scene of the Notebook.
Exactly. I forgot to mention the emotional changes. And then there is the loss of libido, etc.(I'll spare the details). Life changing for sure
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/10/2019, 5:14 am

Yardslave wrote:TD,
I couldn't help but laugh. Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/13/2019, 11:16 am

Finished my radiation treatments yesterday.  Now for the long six month wait for testing to see if things have improved.

This photo was taken by one of the radiation therapists. She said, "I'll take the photo before you pull your pants down.". I am sure we are all thankful for that.  Very Happy
TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 Img_2625
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 11/14/2019, 8:05 pm

Way to hang in there, we live in good times- no more cobalt machines!
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/14/2019, 8:33 pm

Congrats, TD!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/14/2019, 9:07 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Finished my radiation treatments yesterday.  Now for the long six month wait for testing to see if things have improved.
Now, you can relax and enjoy the holidays and next spring's garden plans. TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 3170584802
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/16/2019, 4:26 am

TD, I'm glad you are done with the radiation treatment. I had to laugh at your description of the nurse taking the photo for you. Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 11/16/2019, 8:12 am

I love your attitude, TD.  I think with your treatment you are becoming a girl, as we have suffered those effects you listed, so perhaps it is not so bad after all.

When I was little I badly wanted to be a boy, the only reason being that my two foster brothers did not help in the house and seemed to be out to play all the time while I had bed-making and housework to do.

Hope you can keep up with your lovely garden.  Hugs! TD. I love you
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 Empty Jim

Post  trolleydriver 11/16/2019, 10:51 am

It is recommended that prostate cancer patients get aerobic and strengthening exercise to combat fatigue from radiation as well as fatigue, muscle loss, bone loss and weight gain from hormone treatment. So I managed to get a great deal ($300 Canadian) on a Total Gym Titanium. It's unused and still in its unopened packaging. Got it from someone on FB Marketplace who bought it a few months ago for $700 and never even opened it.TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 Img_2626
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/16/2019, 1:24 pm

trolleydriver wrote:It is recommended that prostate cancer patients get aerobic and strengthening exercise to combat fatigue from radiation as well as fatigue, muscle loss, bone loss and weight gain from hormone treatment. So I managed to get a great deal ($300 Canadian) on a Total Gym Titanium. It's unused and still in its unopened packaging. Got it from someone on FB Marketplace who bought it a few months ago for $700 and never even opened it.TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 Img_2626
Nice find, TD. good job!

Total Gym helped save our farm. Back at "the turn of the century" we were really struggling financially, until Hubby discovered a marketing niche in used exercise equipment and bicycles. Nobody else wanted to mess with shipping the big, heavy stuff, and it was readily available for pennies on the dollar at yard sales, so we became Power Sellers on eBay, as "Bob's Bikes & More" and were able to hang on until we could sell the farm for top dollar and move on. TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 43549 What an adventure -- 7-day work weeks, 14-hour days -- including Christmas. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, TD. I love you
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/16/2019, 6:30 pm

TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer - Page 6 3170584802 Nice find.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/26/2019, 10:12 am

Today marks two weeks since my radiation treatment (RT) ended. I was told that the short term side effects of RT should peak during this period. 

The following may be too much information so stop reading at this point if you prefer.

Current status:

- Urinary problems - mostly under controi by taking one Flomax pill per day before going to bed. I still get up during the night (about three times last night) but sometimes I can sleep right through.  The weak flow, frequency (every 30 to 60 minutes), pain, etc. have gone.

- Bowel problems - All OK in this department. I had bleeding hemorrhoids for a few days after treatment stopped. The bleeding stopped and hemorrhoids no longer noticeable.

- Fatigue - I still get tired and spaced out. This may be from both the RT and the Androgen Deprivation Therapy (ADT) plus interrupted sleep.

- Dizziness - Getting some slight dizziness that may be a side effect of the Flomax pills.

- Hot Flashes - I have been experiencing some mild, short, hot flashes which are a side effect of the ADT.

The ADT can have horrible side effects including hot flashes, weight gain, muscle loss, weaker bones, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular risk,anemia, fatigue, breast growth, loss of body hair, loss of libido, brain fog, mood changes increased risk of kidney failure, headache, bowel problems, joint aches, risk of lung infections, periodontal disease, etc.  I am scheduled to be on ADT (an injection every 3 months) for two years.  Makes you wonder if it is worth it.

Exercise is recommended for men on ADT to offset many of the side effects.  I am walking outside just about every day for about 3 kilometres or doing cardio indoors (e.g., Wii Fit Plus exercise).  I also do some strength training. I am trying to hire a personal trainer to do a physical assessment, help me set up a proper home exercise program, show me how to exercise properly and occasionally follow-up on progress.

I am still maintaining a Whole Food Plant Based diet with no meats (red meat, chicken, pork, fish), no dairy, no eggs and reduced sugar and salt. I do cheat on the fish with a bit of wild salmon and sardines. I have lost twenty pounds since my diagnosis and my BMI is now in the normal range.

Life has changed dramatically for Mrs TD and me.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/26/2019, 12:05 pm

YIKES, TD -- that paragraph about ADT is particularly scary. I love you BIG hug Hang in there, Friend. Fingers crossed the worst is over and all those warnings are just lawyer-speak for CYA (Cover Your A_ _) for the company involved.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next