Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Yellowstriped Armyworm Toplef10Yellowstriped Armyworm 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Yellowstriped Armyworm I22gcj10Yellowstriped Armyworm 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Monthly Avatar: September, Show Off Your Garden Harvest!
by sanderson Today at 2:12 am

» Late thinning ?
by sanderson Today at 2:09 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 2:04 am

» Brandywine-specific question
by sanderson Today at 2:02 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:31 pm

» cherokee purple...seed to dish
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 7:20 pm

» California - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» N&C Midwest—September 2019
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:02 pm

» OG Living Mulch Experiment
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 11:04 am

» Homemade Concrete Raised Beds
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:21 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 10:12 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 9:40 am

» Update on Marie's mom
by Yardslave 9/14/2019, 6:07 pm

» humus, humic substances and humic acid in our soil and compost
by has55 9/14/2019, 10:42 am

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 9/14/2019, 10:05 am

» TD's Health
by RJARPCGP 9/14/2019, 7:06 am

» N&C Midwest: August 2019
by sanderson 9/14/2019, 2:25 am

» ID California Tree, Please
by sanderson 9/14/2019, 2:24 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 9/14/2019, 2:22 am

» Tomato Tuesday - 2018 & 2019
by sanderson 9/13/2019, 12:54 pm

» Future OGSFG
by sanderson 9/12/2019, 4:47 pm

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in September 2019
by sanderson 9/12/2019, 4:43 pm

» Hello from the Southest-Westest of the contig. 48
by sanderson 9/12/2019, 2:53 pm

» Stevia
by countrynaturals 9/11/2019, 6:11 pm

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 9/11/2019, 6:08 pm

» has55's R & D Journey
by has55 9/11/2019, 12:06 pm

» Marigold and other flower choices
by sanderson 9/11/2019, 3:23 am

» What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow?
by sanderson 9/11/2019, 3:10 am

» September: What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by sanderson 9/11/2019, 3:06 am

» New Mulch Between Beds
by sanderson 9/9/2019, 9:55 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Yellowstriped Armyworm

Go down

Yellowstriped Armyworm Empty Yellowstriped Armyworm

Post  LilBittyBean on 8/11/2019, 6:11 pm

Was thinning out my direct-sown cabbage, broccoli, and some other greens in the SFG yesterday. Spotted a very small caterpillar,  which I later verified as a yellowstriped armyworm. Dispatched it and looked for more. None found, but that means nothing.  Mad

Immediately procured and put down some Bt. No other armyworms spotted today. Again, I know there must be more.

Label says to apply every 7 days. Anything else I should put down to help out? Just planted my garden and am not ready to lose it!

I'm awfully worried about killing my beneficial insects. I have not seen very many bees (hoping my bee balm flowers soon) or beneficial wasps around.

Thanks! Yellowstriped Armyworm 998388915
LilBittyBean
LilBittyBean

Female Posts : 36
Join date : 2019-08-08
Location : New Orleans, LA

View user profile http://www.southernplanteater.com/

Back to top Go down

Yellowstriped Armyworm Empty Re: Yellowstriped Armyworm

Post  mollyhespra on 8/11/2019, 8:03 pm

I actually had to look that critter up! And then my second thought was that I've found those in the garden before but never in any significant numbers. Do they happen in plague- proportions in your area?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 877
Join date : 2012-09-21
Age : 53
Location : Waaaay upstate, NH (zone 4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Yellowstriped Armyworm Empty Re: Yellowstriped Armyworm

Post  OhioGardener on 8/11/2019, 8:25 pm

@LilBittyBean wrote:Was thinning out my direct-sown cabbage, broccoli, and some other greens in the SFG yesterday. Spotted a very small caterpillar,  which I later verified as a yellowstriped armyworm. Dispatched it and looked for more. None found, but that means nothing.  Mad

Immediately procured and put down some Bt. No other armyworms spotted today. Again, I know there must be more.

Label says to apply every 7 days. Anything else I should put down to help out? Just planted my garden and am not ready to lose it!

I'm awfully worried about killing my beneficial insects. I have not seen very many bees (hoping my bee balm flowers soon) or beneficial wasps around.

Thanks! Yellowstriped Armyworm 998388915

I have never had a problem with the armyworm on any of my brassica plants, but recently I went out one morning to discover every leaf on my Curly Kale had been destroyed overnight. When I looked for the culprit, I found a hundred or so Cross-Striped Cabbage Worms enjoying what was left of the leaves. I cut off the damaged leaves and submerged them in a bucket of water, and then sprayed the plants and soil around them with Bt. No more damage after that.

The good thing is that Bt is not only non-toxic to us, but it is non-toxic to most beneficial insects (Monarch, Swallowtail, etc., caterpillars being the exception). It does not affect bees, wasps, etc..  Bt is recommended to sprayed every 5 - 7 days, or after a rain. That will control the pest caterpillars very well.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Posts : 1133
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Yellowstriped Armyworm Empty Re: Yellowstriped Armyworm

Post  LilBittyBean on 8/11/2019, 9:31 pm

@mollyhespra wrote:I actually had to look that critter up! And then my second thought was that I've found those in the garden before but never in any significant numbers. Do they happen in plague- proportions in your area?

Hi Molly! I recall my dad dealing with them in large numbers many years ago. Mowed down his plants fairly quickly one season. 

Perhaps they are more common here in the South than they are in other areas.
LilBittyBean
LilBittyBean

Female Posts : 36
Join date : 2019-08-08
Location : New Orleans, LA

View user profile http://www.southernplanteater.com/

Back to top Go down

Yellowstriped Armyworm Empty Re: Yellowstriped Armyworm

Post  LilBittyBean on 8/11/2019, 9:38 pm

@OhioGardener wrote:
I have never had a problem with the armyworm on any of my brassica plants, but recently I went out one morning to discover every leaf on my Curly Kale had been destroyed overnight. When I looked for the culprit, I found a hundred or so Cross-Striped Cabbage Worms enjoying what was left of the leaves. I cut off the damaged leaves and submerged them in a bucket of water, and then sprayed the plants and soil around them with Bt. No more damage after that.

The good thing is that Bt is not only non-toxic to us, but it is non-toxic to most beneficial insects (Monarch, Swallowtail, etc., caterpillars being the exception). It does not affect bees, wasps, etc..  Bt is recommended to sprayed every 5 - 7 days, or after a rain. That will control the pest caterpillars very well.

Yikes! Sorry to hear about the cabbage worms! Will your plants recover? 

Thanks for the reassurance on the Bt. I was pretty sure it wasn't harmful. We try to use environmentally-friendly pest-control but lack of bees has me worried. I suppose that is an entirely different thread of its own. 

Thanks for the advice!
LilBittyBean
LilBittyBean

Female Posts : 36
Join date : 2019-08-08
Location : New Orleans, LA

View user profile http://www.southernplanteater.com/

Back to top Go down

Yellowstriped Armyworm Empty Re: Yellowstriped Armyworm

Post  OhioGardener on 8/11/2019, 10:02 pm

@LilBittyBean wrote:Yikes! Sorry to hear about the cabbage worms! Will your plants recover? 

Thanks for the reassurance on the Bt. I was pretty sure it wasn't harmful. We try to use environmentally-friendly pest-control but lack of bees has me worried. I suppose that is an entirely different thread of its own. 

Thanks for the advice!

Yes, Kale is a quick grower, and it quickly shot up new leaves to replace all of the ones it lost. And, we've been harvesting leaves weekly since that episode.

If you have a lack of honeybees in your area, consider putting up some native bee houses to attract the various native bees.  I did that years ago, and we always have native bees of one sort or another buzzing around. Of course, you also need flowering plants to attract the bees - things like Basil, Borage, Comfrey, etc., will bring in the bees.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Posts : 1133
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Yellowstriped Armyworm Empty Re: Yellowstriped Armyworm

Post  LilBittyBean on 8/11/2019, 10:31 pm

@OhioGardener wrote:Yes, Kale is a quick grower, and it quickly shot up new leaves to replace all of the ones it lost. And, we've been harvesting leaves weekly since that episode.

If you have a lack of honeybees in your area, consider putting up some native bee houses to attract the various native bees.  I did that years ago, and we always have native bees of one sort or another buzzing around. Of course, you also need flowering plants to attract the bees - things like Basil, Borage, Comfrey, etc., will bring in the bees.
Very good news about your kale, Ohio. 

Had no idea about the native bee houses. I'm doing a little research on them now. I do have a good number of flowering herbs around. Most of my regular flowers, though, are in front of my home with garden in the back.
LilBittyBean
LilBittyBean

Female Posts : 36
Join date : 2019-08-08
Location : New Orleans, LA

View user profile http://www.southernplanteater.com/

Back to top Go down

Yellowstriped Armyworm Empty Re: Yellowstriped Armyworm

Post  sanderson on 8/12/2019, 5:20 pm

Any plant attracting nuisance moths/butterflies goes under bridal tulle. Yellowstriped Armyworm Winter21

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 18214
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 70
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Yellowstriped Armyworm Empty Re: Yellowstriped Armyworm

Post  LilBittyBean on 8/12/2019, 6:12 pm

Smart! That's a nice setup!
LilBittyBean
LilBittyBean

Female Posts : 36
Join date : 2019-08-08
Location : New Orleans, LA

View user profile http://www.southernplanteater.com/

Back to top Go down

Yellowstriped Armyworm Empty Re: Yellowstriped Armyworm

Post  mollyhespra on 8/12/2019, 9:10 pm

@sanderson wrote:Any plant attracting nuisance moths/butterflies goes under bridal tulle. Yellowstriped Armyworm Winter21

How long do you find the tulle lasts in your area, Sanderson? That's a mighty fine looking setup you've got there! Yellowstriped Armyworm 3170584802
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 877
Join date : 2012-09-21
Age : 53
Location : Waaaay upstate, NH (zone 4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Yellowstriped Armyworm Empty Re: Yellowstriped Armyworm

Post  sanderson on 8/17/2019, 3:12 am

Thank you!  The tulle is up Oct 1 to March 1.  I hand wash, hang dry, pin the bed labels on each and store until the next fall planting.  I know they have survived 3 winter seasons and are good for the coming forth season. March 9, 2018. Yellowstriped Armyworm Bridal10

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 18214
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 70
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Yellowstriped Armyworm Empty Re: Yellowstriped Armyworm

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum