Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I am a newbie, where do you buy all these stuffs to make Mel's mix??? Toplef10I am a newbie, where do you buy all these stuffs to make Mel's mix??? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I am a newbie, where do you buy all these stuffs to make Mel's mix??? I22gcj10I am a newbie, where do you buy all these stuffs to make Mel's mix??? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I am a newbie, where do you buy all these stuffs to make Mel's mix??? Toplef10I am a newbie, where do you buy all these stuffs to make Mel's mix??? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I am a newbie, where do you buy all these stuffs to make Mel's mix??? I22gcj10I am a newbie, where do you buy all these stuffs to make Mel's mix??? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

I am a newbie, where do you buy all these stuffs to make Mel's mix???

4 posters

Go down

I am a newbie, where do you buy all these stuffs to make Mel's mix??? Empty I am a newbie, where do you buy all these stuffs to make Mel's mix???

Post  Mui mui 5/16/2019, 1:32 am

Hi,

I just started to read Mel's gardening book. I am a total newbie on gardening. Saw one  of the review on Mel's book recommending what to buy.

VERMICULITE 37.98
PEAT MOSS 19.95

COMPOST MADE UP OF THE FOLLOWING:

Organic Vegetable and Fruit Compost 11.98
Black Kow Composted Cow Manure: 9.94
Organic Mushroom Compost 11.98
Earthworm Castings (worm poop) 24.98
Organic Composted Chicken Manure 13.98

I found Vermiculite and Peat Moss at a local Home Depot store. However, they don't sell compost at all. Can anyone tell me where I can buy the 5 compost with a web address / brand / pictures? 

Or does Mel sell the ready-to-go ones that I can buy somewhere?

Thanks
Mui mui
Mui mui

Back to top Go down

I am a newbie, where do you buy all these stuffs to make Mel's mix??? Empty Re: I am a newbie, where do you buy all these stuffs to make Mel's mix???

Post  sanderson 5/16/2019, 4:11 am

Hi Mui, Welcome to the Forum from Fresno, California! glad you\'re here Mel's Mix is not available as a pre-mixed product except in a couple of states, and CA is not one of them. Sad

The composts for making Mel's Mix varies depending where one lives. Just do the best you can starting out and keep looking for other varieties. You will be adding more blended compost every time you plant. This year, I found Nature's Care Really Good Compost at Home Depot along with Gardener's composted chicken manure. I found Ecoscraps Compost and Ecoscraps Garden Soil (really a compost but has less veggies in it than than the Ecoscraps Compost) at Lowes. Mushroom compost is another compost available at various big box stores and local nurseries. Call around. Worm castings are expensive but you can limit them to 5-10% of the blended compost you will make.

Remember that compressed peat moss will almost double in volume when you fluff it up, so fluff before you measure it. Hopefully, you can find coarse vermiculite. Lowes and HD only carry the medium grade. I buy coarse vermiculite at an independent nursery. $40 / 3.5 cubic feet.

If you have any questions about buying a product you find, just ask us. We are here to help you get started.

This is a good thread about Mel's Mix. https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t7451-mel-s-mix-how-strong-is-your-backbone.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

I am a newbie, where do you buy all these stuffs to make Mel's mix??? Empty Re: I am a newbie, where do you buy all these stuffs to make Mel's mix???

Post  countrynaturals 5/16/2019, 9:39 am

Mui Mui -- welcome from Redding, CA. I found pre-mixed MM here at Home Depot 2 years ago, but then they stopped carrying it, so now I just use whatever I can find around the property (small farm -- all organic). That means I'm no help, but I can give you one tip in another area:

When seed packets say "6 hours of direct sunlight" they are NOT talking about California. Be sure you put your garden where it will get some relief from our brutal summers. One of my raised beds is in a redwood grove and the other is in a cluster of oak trees. I still need shade cloth. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/16/2019, 1:38 pm

yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down