Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mildew/ mould resistant infections of humans  Toplef10Mildew/ mould resistant infections of humans  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mildew/ mould resistant infections of humans  I22gcj10Mildew/ mould resistant infections of humans  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by countrynaturals Today at 18:23

» First garden in Alberta
by Scorpio Rising Today at 18:20

» Weeds in the compost
by ralitaco Today at 18:19

» Wednesday Wisdom - SFG Foundation
by countrynaturals Today at 18:16

» Tomato Tuesday - 2018 & 2019
by countrynaturals Today at 18:09

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing MAY 2019
by Scorpio Rising Today at 18:06

» Seeds to rehome. Anyone want these?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 18:03

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 18:00

» Fifth Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 4:56

» California's Drought
by Kelejan Today at 3:05

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by sanderson Yesterday at 22:20

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by sanderson Yesterday at 22:19

» Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!
by has55 Yesterday at 21:15

» The end of a old garden era
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 19:20

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 19:16

» World Square Foot Gardening Day July 21, 2019
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:36

» has55's R & D Journey
by has55 Yesterday at 8:47

» The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning
by has55 Yesterday at 8:27

» SfG Journey:using freezer for SFG bed
by has55 Yesterday at 8:20

» Sweet Potatoes
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:12

» Thinning sprouted plants
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 6:50

» New England, May, 2019
by Pikagirl Yesterday at 3:25

» N&C Midwest: May 2019
by sanderson Yesterday at 0:07

» Hello from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
by sanderson Mon 20 May 2019 - 22:20

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Mon 20 May 2019 - 19:27

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Sun 19 May 2019 - 23:49

» Brix tests for nutrition density
by OhioGardener Sun 19 May 2019 - 16:42

» Catastrophe in my garden.
by Scorpio Rising Sun 19 May 2019 - 10:26

» SFG Journey: Plant Health Pyramid
by has55 Sun 19 May 2019 - 5:57

» I have really been missing yall!
by sanderson Sun 19 May 2019 - 0:52

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mildew/ mould resistant infections of humans

Go down

Mildew/ mould resistant infections of humans  Empty Mildew/ mould resistant infections of humans

Post  plantoid on Mon 22 Apr 2019 - 1:25

In between the horrific news of bombings , insane shootings & global mayhem there is some alarming news of a different kind that  may affect many gardeners with compost heaps that get a dose of flour based materials  put in it as kitchen scraps . ..evidence being provided  as follows in " The Times "  newspaper ( on my Kindle ).  It's all about a common mould that has modified itself into a drug resistant form .

In the ever lasting battle to keep crop production going against insect and mould spore infections  farmers all round the world have resorted to spraying  their brassica , grain & legume crops with chemicals that combat mould so the crops aren't ruined . It has worked well for 20 or so years...……. till fairly recently .

It now appears that a common wheat mould has become resistant to the spraying , this looks like being a massive problem in the not so distant future & by the looks of it , it's  not just in the UK but also the USA and all other countries in the world  . .  For the resistant mould spores are now so common that almost every compost heap will also have the fungicide resistant spores in it especially those with flour based kitchen scraps in it .

The fungus  has claimed the lives of at least 15 people who were gardeners  within the UK in the last year .
It seems the folk were immune system challenged and got a chest infection that would not respond to any antibiotic .   They died  and the autopsies showed this mould was the cause of their deaths .  Normal anti fungicide human meds were tried in other cases  and none worked .

The article also carries  the comments of one woman who said  I have had a large portion of one lung removed   to slow it down but it is still spreading within me  I will die because of it .

This has big implications  for older people who buy in ready made composts that use recycled household products as the concentrations of mould appear to be greater in the products.

So perhaps is the time to learn to forsake any  mixed source recycled composts and  stick rigidly to Mels original  formula for his mix .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 3860

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Mildew/ mould resistant infections of humans  Empty Re: Mildew/ mould resistant infections of humans

Post  OhioGardener on Mon 22 Apr 2019 - 5:32

These stories have been around for a number of years - I remember seeing similar articles when I was still farming - but, I am not sure that properly heated compost would support or spread the fungi.

I recently saw an article on the Explore Health site that discussed how this has been a problem in China and Latin America since first discovered in the 1970's. "Infection with sporotrichosis is rare. While it seems to be more common in Latin America, China, and other parts of the world, it’s been estimated that in the United States, the disease occurs in less than one in a million people every year."

This Man's Weird Rash Turned Out to Be a Fungal Infection You Can Get From Gardening
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Mildew/ mould resistant infections of humans  Empty Re: Mildew/ mould resistant infections of humans

Post  plantoid on Mon 22 Apr 2019 - 7:50

Here is a link to another article a different newspaper.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6897019/JANE-FRYER-reveals-lurking-compost-heap-KILL-you.html

is it the same that you are talking of  OG?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 3860

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum