Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi everyone....an update on my life in Pennsylvania as of today.  Toplef10Hi everyone....an update on my life in Pennsylvania as of today.  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi everyone....an update on my life in Pennsylvania as of today.  I22gcj10Hi everyone....an update on my life in Pennsylvania as of today.  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi everyone....an update on my life in Pennsylvania as of today.  Toplef10Hi everyone....an update on my life in Pennsylvania as of today.  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi everyone....an update on my life in Pennsylvania as of today.  I22gcj10Hi everyone....an update on my life in Pennsylvania as of today.  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi everyone....an update on my life in Pennsylvania as of today.

+5
trolleydriver
OhioGardener
AtlantaMarie
sanderson
jimmy cee
9 posters

Go down

Hi everyone....an update on my life in Pennsylvania as of today.  Empty Hi everyone....an update on my life in Pennsylvania as of today.

Post  jimmy cee 3/15/2019, 11:40 pm

Hello to all my wonderful friends here on the forum. My gardening days as I knew them are over. Many reasons for my decision because my heart is not into doing it any more. Not to worry though, I have acquired other past times
chasing women being among one of them.... lol!...
Seriously though, I have returned to a love of mine from the 1970s, that wonderful masterful game of CHESS.
We had a rather large club when Spasky and Fisher were going at it. Even had a couple of grand masters come to town to engage our group...Of course grand masters won every game, against 26 opponents. Here in the eastern part of Pennsylvania there are a bunch of chess clubs that play non stop.............. Ive recently had a slight scare with my heart, however after some serious testing, it was just about determined my heart is fairly normal for an 83 year old human.
I'm planning on getting back into my banjo and fiddle learning, of which I enjoy immensely................ I do still have a 6 foot watering trough that I am going to plant a few tomatoes this year, a few basil plants in between also. My son wants to fence in a small part of the yard to protect from deer. I honestly cannot understand how deer even stay alive in this area with all that traffic day and night, but they  do well here. I am living what you might consider the outskirts of Philadelphia, PA. Just 3 miles down the road is a shopping complex that is fairly common in vastly populated areas....Imagine this....Home Depot on one side of the road and a Lowes across the street. Both flourishing enterprises.
I am attending our local church of the Nazarene, Sunday school and not church service as my hearing is no good in an electronic audio environment. A small class with many other older folks seems to suit my needs today..Three grand daughters of mine 11, 16, and 18 are busy in school sports and that keeps me going when there are games. Basketball, Soccer, field hockey, volley ball, and probably more coming along as grades go higher. Restaurants galore here in this area, just about every conceivable style of food is offered. with stores to go along for the folks who came from other countries. Those of you living in or near cities would understand, those living in rural America would find it hard to believe. I am still doing composting, only not traveling around to pick up material as I once did. I love composting and find it very satisfying to have a compost bin working 24 /7...Once I set up my horse watering trough I will send some images along. My new i phone takes nicer photos than did my digital camera... but then I am not doing much other than some Facebook groups. I was asked last season to give a talk on SFG at a local senior center, 10 folks showed up, I had all my 8 x 10 photo's along with samples of Mels Mix before mixing together. It went very nicely..Well folks, I am done for tonight. God bless you all and may your gardens bring forth fine fruits......Jimmy C
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Hi everyone....an update on my life in Pennsylvania as of today.  Empty Re: Hi everyone....an update on my life in Pennsylvania as of today.

Post  sanderson 3/16/2019, 3:22 am

Jimmy, So good to hear from you! happy hi It sounds like you are busy. Chess, church Sunday school, composting, plucking and fiddling, exploring restaurants. Someone asked if anyone used galvanized watering troughs for SFG. so, I stole two photos of yours and the person was delighted. bounce

For many of us, it's seeding time. Others are canoeing around town and digging out of snow. Countrynaturals (Suz) narrowly missed the devastating fire in northern California.

Do post photos of your tomatoes and basil and anything else you are up to.

Sanderson BIG hug

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Hi everyone....an update on my life in Pennsylvania as of today.  Empty Re: Hi everyone....an update on my life in Pennsylvania as of today.

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/16/2019, 6:15 am

Hi Jimmy! Good to see you!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/16/2019, 8:32 am

Hi, Jimmy!  Sounds like you have a good transition plan for yet another lifestyle change. I used to play a lot chess in my younger days, but haven't played for years - don't know if I remember high But, in another few years I'll enter my 80's and may take it up again. Your posts have inspired me, and many others here, to Keep On Composting! I have 2 neighbors now who do juicing, and neither of them garden - can't imagine what they spend for "organic" vegetables to juice, but that's another story - so they bring their vegetable pulp over to put in my compost tumblers. Never had such rich compost as that makes! Very Happy

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4470

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/16/2019, 8:36 am

Great to hear from you Jimmy.  We sure miss you on the forum.  It's wonderful that you are taking part in so many activities. 

Up here in Ottawa, Canada we are still covered in snow but thankfully the temperatures are starting to get up to and sometimes above freezing.  Mrs TD and I had a narrow escape last September when fivte ornadoes touched down in our area.  One of them was quite close to our house. There are still many damaged houses in need of repair.

Keep in touch and God bless you.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/16/2019, 9:35 am

Great post, Jimmy. So glad you took the time to bring us up to date. I love to read the "back stories" of my friends, here. We are such a diverse group. boogie woogie Hi everyone....an update on my life in Pennsylvania as of today.  3759993749 :canada: BB\'s happy face happy banana happy turtle
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/16/2019, 9:37 am

Great to hear from you, Jimmy!  Sounds like you are having fun and exploring all this world has to offer.  I am relieved to hear about your heart scare.  I love you  Here in Ohio, it is getting seasonable.  I have some things starting under lights in the basement.  Will wade out to the 4x4 today to see if I can plant peas and radishes, maybe some spinach.  Other than that, the usual.  Work, cook, clean, sleep, repeat!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/16/2019, 10:53 pm

sanderson wrote:Jimmy, So good to hear from you! happy hi  It sounds like you are busy.  Chess, church Sunday school, composting, plucking and fiddling, exploring restaurants.  Someone asked if anyone used galvanized watering troughs for SFG.  so, I stole two photos of yours and the person was delighted. bounce

For many of us, it's seeding time.  Others are canoeing around town and digging out of snow.  Countrynaturals (Suz) narrowly missed the devastating fire in northern California.

Do post photos of your tomatoes and basil and anything else you are up to.

Sanderson BIG hug

Regarding galvanized or any metal tanks.  they do not over heat with fill in them. Empty they will become atrociously hot..Filled with soil, they stay very cool because the inside fill keeps them cool...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/16/2019, 10:56 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Hi, Jimmy!  Sounds like you have a good transition plan for yet another lifestyle change. I used to play a lot chess in my younger days, but haven't played for years - don't know if I remember high But, in another few years I'll enter my 80's and may take it up again. Your posts have inspired me, and many others here, to Keep On Composting! I have 2 neighbors now who do juicing, and neither of them garden - can't imagine what they spend for "organic" vegetables to juice, but that's another story - so they bring their vegetable pulp over to put in my compost tumblers. Never had such rich compost as that makes! Very Happy
You are blessed with great neighbors. Compost is not only good in gardens, can be used on all living plants. Grass, trees, bushes, flowers, etc etc. it's just plain fun to see it mature.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/16/2019, 11:00 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Great to hear from you, Jimmy!  Sounds like you are having fun and exploring all this world has to offer.  I am relieved to hear about your heart scare.  I love you  Here in Ohio, it is getting seasonable.  I have some things starting under lights in the basement.  Will wade out to the 4x4 today to see if I can plant peas and radishes, maybe some spinach.  Other than that, the usual.  Work, cook, clean, sleep, repeat!
I miss my seed starting more than anything. I actually started seeds year round. Just to gain the experience and see how they went. I especially like starting seeds because my growing medium was free...I used Mel's Mix that I made...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/16/2019, 11:01 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Hi Jimmy!  Good to see you!  
Thanks Marie. always nice for you to stop by...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/16/2019, 11:48 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Great post, Jimmy. So glad you took the time to bring us up to date. I love to read the "back stories" of my friends, here. We are such a diverse group. boogie woogie Hi everyone....an update on my life in Pennsylvania as of today.  3759993749 :canada: BB\'s happy face happy banana happy turtle
TD and I are the ones waving the Canadian Flag.
Good to hear from you, Jimmy; I still remember all the compost piles you made a few years ago.  Your really did go a bit over the top.  That was when we were talking about compost tens and tens of bags of leaves etc.  and LLama Momma was the winner and you, I think was runner up and I had a mention.  But the years roll on and I for one am slowing down and most probably having a lifestyle change but I intend to keep up with this Forum because of all the lovely people in it and that includes you. I wonder who the guy is with the horns?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/17/2019, 10:24 pm

Kelejan wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:Great post, Jimmy. So glad you took the time to bring us up to date. I love to read the "back stories" of my friends, here. We are such a diverse group. boogie woogie Hi everyone....an update on my life in Pennsylvania as of today.  3759993749 :canada: BB\'s happy face happy banana happy turtle
TD and I are the ones waving the Canadian Flag.
Good to hear from you, Jimmy; I still remember all the compost piles you made a few years ago.  Your really did go a bit over the top.  That was when we were talking about compost tens and tens of bags of leaves etc.  and LLama Momma was the winner and you, I think was runner up and I had a mention.  But the years roll on and I for one am slowing down and most probably having a lifestyle change but I intend to keep up with this Forum because of all the lovely people in it and that includes you. I wonder who the guy is with the horns?
Thank you, you are right, I will try to maintain my presence here mainly because of the great folks, and I do enjoy promoting my successes...LOL... far and few in between now...I will have a few photos, of some very simple compost containers that many might find interesting. in expensive and also very functional. Ill have some photo's this week.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/18/2019, 6:41 am

Looking forward to seeing them, Jimmy.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/20/2019, 11:52 pm

Jimmy C, glad to hear you are doing ok. 

Philadelphia is a great city. of course the first thought I had when you said Philly was "Pat's or Geno's"? Then there is all the history. I hope you take advantage of those treasures. 

Enjoy all those sporting events. Some of my best memories are watching my kids play soccer. Hopefully the kids will return the favor and help you with your veggies or maybe plant some flowers.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum