Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Gardening Newbie Here to Say Hi! Toplef10Gardening Newbie Here to Say Hi! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Gardening Newbie Here to Say Hi! I22gcj10Gardening Newbie Here to Say Hi! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 9:40

» New England, December, 2019
by countrynaturals Today at 8:05

» What are your best Greenhouse tips for a first timer?
by countrynaturals Today at 7:54

» Container Gardening
by countrynaturals Today at 7:06

» new member needs help
by Dan in Ct Today at 6:56

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Today at 6:37

» Brand new in SW Idaho
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:48

» Is this the right place?
by Kelejan Today at 3:21

» What, no French Fries?
by Kelejan Today at 3:19

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by yolos Yesterday at 20:56

» N&C Midwest: November/December 2019!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 20:02

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing October to December 2019
by Kelejan Yesterday at 16:07

» Fifth Year SFG in Canada
by Kelejan Yesterday at 15:30

» Greenhouse Dollhouse
by sanderson Yesterday at 15:13

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by sanderson Yesterday at 14:35

» Potato Seeds, not Seed Potatoes
by sanderson Yesterday at 14:06

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Yesterday at 14:05

» Hydrogen Peroxide
by sanderson Yesterday at 13:27

» Awesome Weather Site
by sanderson Yesterday at 13:21

» Hi I’m new
by sanderson Yesterday at 13:14

» 2018/2019 SFG in Brooks, GA
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:55

» Serrano Peppers
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:51

» What will you do different?
by Dan in Ct Yesterday at 12:47

» December Avatar: 'Tis The Season!
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:20

» Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time
by countrynaturals Tue 3 Dec 2019 - 17:32

» Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots
by countrynaturals Tue 3 Dec 2019 - 17:11

» Friday Rookie Topics 2012
by countrynaturals Tue 3 Dec 2019 - 16:56

» FRIDAY'S ROOKIE TOPIC XV, KOHLRABI
by countrynaturals Tue 3 Dec 2019 - 16:51

» Friday Rookie Topic XIV: Potato Onions
by Scorpio Rising Mon 2 Dec 2019 - 17:10

» Mid-South: December
by yolos Sun 1 Dec 2019 - 13:39

Google

Search SFG Forum

Gardening Newbie Here to Say Hi!

Go down

Gardening Newbie Here to Say Hi! Empty Gardening Newbie Here to Say Hi!

Post  AngieB on Tue 29 Jan 2019 - 9:33

I everyone. My name is Angie and this year will be my second year gardening full force.

Last year I began my garden rather late due to weather and because I was totally unsure what I was doing even WITH research.

Things I've Learned in 1 year of growing:
1. I have crappy soil. Well the soil is ok but only a few inches deep under the grass. This year I'll need to do all raised beds.

2. Not everything is zoned for me. I learned this the hard way. Bought seeds for a zone much cooler in the summer than mine. It's ok. Learning process is long but not pointless

3. Companion planting is a thing. And a good thing at that.

4. I should have grown more flowers. Pollinators LOVE flowers. 

SO those things plus many others are what I'm working on this year. I have a journal I started keeping over the Fall and I also VLOG it all on YouTube.

One year ago this March, we started a homesteading journey. We called it Pine Brooke Homestead and started making our land work for us and not the other way around. Last year I grew tomatoes, squash, strawberries, basil, peppers, and several other successful veggies. And a LOT more unsuccessful things. We have had quail, Pekin ducks, meat rabbits, chickens, guineas, and pigs. This year we will expand to dairy goats, meat chickens, and more quail, ducks, and pigs. 

I hope to learn more this year than ever. I'm very excited!
AngieB
AngieB

Back to top Go down

Gardening Newbie Here to Say Hi! Empty Re: Gardening Newbie Here to Say Hi!

Post  SQWIB on Tue 29 Jan 2019 - 10:00

Hello.
Sounds like you got some great stuff going on.
SQWIB
SQWIB

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on Tue 29 Jan 2019 - 11:40

Hi, Angie. Are you thinking about making the raised beds as Square Foot Gardening beds? So much easier than row gardening in the soil. Even if I had a large garden area (I live in the city with a small lot) I would still use raised beds. If you think SFG is a possibility, please invest in the book All New Square Foot Gardening, 1st, 2nd or the new 3rd edition. In fact, the 3rd edition is available on Amazon for a good price right now.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 18472

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on Wed 30 Jan 2019 - 4:57

Hi AngieB. Welcome from Atlanta, GA. Lived in TX for just over a year, so I have an idea of your climate... (You'll notice I'm not there anymore, lol!)

Good thoughts on keeping a journal! That type of research is invaluable. Sounds like you have some good stuff going on.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5182

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener on Wed 30 Jan 2019 - 8:14

These tips from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds touches on a lot of important points (ignore the marketing points), especially the comments on Succession Planting, on getting started with gardening.

=================================================

Expert Tips for Getting the Garden Started

As the season of garden dreaming begins, the Baker Creek team is gearing up for a busy season of shipping seeds. Our expert staff of gardeners would like to share a few pre-season tips to help you ensure a successful and productive gardening year.

Make a Site Assessment
What does your garden look like? Do you garden in raised beds, in sprawling fields, or on a balcony? The layout of your garden can determine which varieties will perform the best. For example, a container garden on your stoop calls for dwarf varieties. A square-foot garden will often perform best with tidy, compact varieties as well as plants that can be trained to grow in a vertical manner.

• Often, drawing a simple map or even a list will help to determine your needs and make for a more successful garden plan. This can also help you to determine how much seed to buy.
  • When choosing your varieties, keep in mind your growing zone, microclimate and conditions. We offer many varieties that are well suited to a wide growing range. However, you may also find that some regionally adapted heirlooms are particularly well suited to your climate.
  • Don’t forget to use the search bar on the rareseeds.com website, typing in keywords such as “dwarf,” “vining,” “cold hardy” or “heat tolerant.” This can help to narrow your choices and find the perfect variety.

Start Succession Planting
Often we are struck with Spring fever and tempted to plant the entire garden plot in one afternoon. While we don’t want to stifle this kind of garden excitement, it is important to keep in mind the importance of succession planting. The practice of making small plantings several times throughout the gardening season provides a more consistent supply of fresh produce throughout the season.

• When planning for successions, first consider your personal preferences. If you like to eat salads every day, you may want to consider sowing small, frequent successions of salad fixings like lettuce and radish to supplement longer season- producing crops like peppers and tomatoes, which do not require succession planting.
  • Do you plan to process, can or jam your harvest? This will also influence the number of successions that you plant.
  • You can also use succession planting to better tap into seasonal weather patterns. For those who like a consistent supply of spinach, but have had issues with mid-summer bolting, consider starting with a cold-tolerant spinach and transition to a more heat-tolerant green like callaloo amaranth for the summer. This clever timing technique will greatly reduce waste and make for better-tasting harvests.

Get Organized
The use of a garden planner or a calendar will help to keep your garden dreams on track. These tools will also help to keep your planting successions organized, so you don’t miss a sowing!

• A garden planner like the Clyde’s Garden Planner offered on the rareseeds.com website will do the timing and planning for you. This handy tool will guide you on when to sow your crops based on your frost dates. The Clyde’s Garden Planner is small and weatherproof, so you can take it out into the garden with you!
  • Keeping a notebook or calendar to track weather patterns and planting dates is tremendously helpful in planning and planting in the future. You will always be able to refer back to your previous years’ notes to help plan your garden.
  • We offer free shipping on all orders within the U.S, Mexico and Canada. So if you need to buy a few times throughout the season to keep up with successions, you no longer need to worry about shipping costs!
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on Wed 30 Jan 2019 - 15:46

Hi, AngieB!  Welcome!

Glad you found us, I would echo getting your hands on a copy of Mel Bartholomew’s Square Foot Gardening book.  Much easier and more effective than the first version now, and more productive!  

Can’t wait to hear what you like to eat and plan to grow.  Do you buy plants, or start seeds, or a combo?  

Take notes!  Every year is different!
glad you\'re here
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7206

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on Thu 31 Jan 2019 - 0:01

Yes, try to get a copy of the 1st, 2nd or brand new 3rd Edition. Gardening Newbie Here to Say Hi! Book_214

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 18472

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum