Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  Toplef10N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  I22gcj10N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  Toplef10N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  I22gcj10N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!

+3
Dan in Ct
trolleydriver
OhioGardener
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  Empty N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/1/2019, 10:48 am

Well, another year in the history books, mates! Seed catalogs accumulating here, along with some early bird online incentives in my inbox!  Not ready to do any real planning as of yet.  Walked out to my backyard lake yesterday to get a mental plan; my legacy boxes are in a terrible location, but will fall apart if looked at too long...going to put a succession plan together for their eventual demise.  

For this year, a new box; either another 4x4 or another 3x7 after committing that one to the strawberries.  Getting pencil and paper out...

What’s going on in your heads, Midwesterners?   study happy hi
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  Empty Re: N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!

Post  OhioGardener 1/1/2019, 11:59 am

Went out this morning to look at my beds to see if anything needs to done, and everything looks good to go! The cover crops are growing nicely - it hasn't been cold long enough for them to go dormant yet - and I could see holes of evidence that the night crawlers have been coming up to get to the coffee grounds scattered on top of the soil. Anxiously awaiting late March when I will be redoing the soil of the beds to add charged Biochar to the top 6".

I, too, have a large collection of seed catalogs, but already have all of the seeds for spring planting - I have a lot more seeds than square feet to plant them! Ha!

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4504

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  Empty Re: N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/4/2019, 7:50 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Went out this morning to look at my beds to see if anything needs to done, and everything looks good to go! The cover crops are growing nicely - it hasn't been cold long enough for them to go dormant yet - and I could see holes of evidence that the night crawlers have been coming up to get to the coffee grounds scattered on top of the soil. Anxiously awaiting late March when I will be redoing the soil of the beds to add charged Biochar to the top 6".

I, too, have a large collection of seed catalogs, but already have all of the seeds for spring planting - I have a lot more seeds than square feet to plant them! Ha!
We had some cold, but it was brief and not really cold...what’s biochar?

I dont need any seeds either, OG, just dreaming!  Maybe a pickling cuke type.  Wasn’t hugely impressed with the “Early Opener” tomato, neither early nor an opener.  Had brandywines before any of them!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/4/2019, 8:17 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:We had some cold, but it was brief and not really cold...what’s biochar?

I don't need any seeds either, OG, just dreaming!  Maybe a pickling cuke type.

SR, Biochar is pure charcoal that is added to the soil to retain moisture and provide a home for microbes, etc..  I experimented with adding it to one raised bed this past summer, and had better results than I expected, so I am going to add it to all beds next spring and hope for a repeat of the results. There is a whole thread on it here: Biochar

I am going to try these Cool Customer Pickling Cucumbers this year from Johnny's Select Seeds.  The description sounds too good not the try them! Ha!

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/6/2019, 11:45 am

The lettuce is looking nice on its 15th day from seeding under the grow lights. There is a mixture of Black Seeded Simpson and Oak Leaf seedlings. In another week or so I will be thinning them down to a couple plants per pot, and eating the thinnings....  Very Happy 

The Spinach is just coming up, but it is looking good so far.

N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  Lettuc12

N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  Trays11

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 1/6/2019, 5:36 pm

Those are looking real good OG.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/6/2019, 5:56 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
SR, Biochar is pure charcoal that is added to the soil to retain moisture and provide a home for microbes, etc..  I experimented with adding it to one raised bed this past summer, and had better results than I expected, so I am going to add it to all beds next spring and hope for a repeat of the results. There is a whole thread on it here: Biochar

I am going to try these Cool Customer Pickling Cucumbers this year from Johnny's Select Seeds.  The description sounds too good not the try them! Ha!
Will check them out!  So, no composing, just directly on the beds?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/6/2019, 7:37 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Will check them out!  So, no composing, just directly on the beds?

Still composting, and topping off beds with it as much as possible.  The Biochar is a one-time soil amendment to enrich microbe life of the soil - one of my latest experiments.

The weather was so nice today that I was able to pull back the straw mulch and add some compost with Biochar to the one bed that does not have a cover crop on it. I was amazed how many earthworms there were when I turned the compost and Biochar into the soil - I thought they would have gone down deeper in the ground with the cold weather, but apparently it hasn't been too cold for them.  There was at least one, and usually several worms in every shovelful of soil that I turned over.  This one bed did not get a cover crop because it will be used for planting onions in mid-April, and the cover crop would not have had time to get its spring growth.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/7/2019, 9:20 pm

Interesting!   I am trying to figure out what to do...  I have a bunch of coffee grounds (mine) and miscellaneous kitchen offing’s.  Frozen solid.  Hmmm
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/8/2019, 9:53 am

Anyone besides me ready for spring?  Very Happy 

"Gardeners, I think, dream bigger than emperors."
                                                  ~ Mary Cantwell

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/9/2019, 6:31 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Anyone besides me ready for spring?  Very Happy 

"Gardeners, I think, dream bigger than emperors."
                                                  ~ Mary Cantwell
Understatement of the year!!!!  Well, the year is early, right?   bounce
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/11/2019, 2:32 am

"To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow." Audrey Hepburn

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/11/2019, 7:12 am

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."   ~ Chinese Proverb

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/11/2019, 8:10 pm

Do we have a thread for great gardening quotes?  Those are gems!!!N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  3170584802
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/12/2019, 11:31 am

Today snow, yesterday this....   Ready for Spring!

N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  Robin10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/12/2019, 5:11 pm

You have robins????  Not here.  Snowing like crazy.  But it’s January in Ohio, ya know? It has been a strange season as far as abrupt changes.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/12/2019, 7:24 pm

SR, we have a pair of Robins that stay here year around.  They have 2 or 3 nests of babies in the apple tree each summer, and in spring all of the ones that were raised here return to make their nests as well. Sometimes they become a little of a pest in digging for worms in the raised beds, but we love having them here.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/12/2019, 10:11 pm

OhioGardener wrote:SR, we have a pair of Robins that stay here year around.  They have 2 or 3 nests of babies in the apple tree each summer, and in spring all of the ones that were raised here return to make their nests as well. Sometimes they become a little of a pest in digging for worms in the raised beds, but we love having them here.
My sister lives in Columbus, and she says a lot of the robins don’t leave there anymore, weather patterns, and the fact that there are so many developments with ornamental fruit trees that they can rely on for food over the winter.  Not here.  We will see them in  early spring.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 1/13/2019, 8:30 am

Scorpio Rising, I used to think the same thing until about 10 years ago when I saw hundreds of robins flocked together early in the morning in January near a local shopping area. At The Crazy Half Acre I never see more than a few flocked together feeding on the plentiful earthworms here beginning in March. I am wondering if it is a migratory thing, there aren't the enough food sources along the trek route to make the trek or the robins just got lazy, toughened up a little and stay cation. There maybe be grant money in it. Now I am wondering how far south they originally migrated?
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/13/2019, 12:06 pm

No Robins in sight today.....8" of heavy, wet, white stuff...

N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  Dsc_0010

N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  Dsc_0011

N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  Dsc_0012

N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  Dsc_0013

N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  Dsc_0014

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/13/2019, 1:13 pm

Dan in Ct wrote:Scorpio Rising, I used to think the same thing until about 10 years ago when I saw hundreds of robins flocked together early in the morning in January near a local shopping area. At The Crazy Half Acre I never see more than a few flocked together feeding on the plentiful earthworms here beginning in March. I am wondering if it is a migratory thing, there aren't the enough food sources along the trek route to make the trek or the robins just got lazy, toughened up a little and stay cation. There maybe be grant money in it. Now I am wondering how far south they originally migrated?
Interesting, Dan.  You know, the Canada geese used to do the same thing, leave here, go wherever they go.  But because of the no-till farming practices, some now overwinter here, and a lot of them do in the urban areas where there are lots of ponds and food sources.  Maybe the global weather changes also play into it?  

OG, we got about 5” here, yes, wet, packable snow.  It’s pretty!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/16/2019, 2:38 am

Robins one day, snow the next. You guys get some wide swings in weather.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/16/2019, 8:19 am

sanderson wrote:Robins one day, snow the next.  You guys get some wide swings in weather.

Yes, yes we do! 

N&C Midwest: January/February 2019!  Ohio_w10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/16/2019, 7:35 pm

Dang!  Great visual, OG!!!  Lol!lol!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/16/2019, 10:50 pm

rofl

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next