Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Toplef10The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 I22gcj10The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Toplef10The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 I22gcj10The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 10:38 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning

+3
sanderson
Dan in Ct
yolos
7 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Empty Re: The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning

Post  OhioGardener 6/19/2019, 8:28 am

has55 wrote:I don't know the cost, but it's another alternative for tubes.
plastic tubes

That is an interesting alternative if they were left in the pile, since they would probably be difficult to pull out.  They look a lot like the tree guards I use to keep rabbits and deer from chewing on the small trees.

https://www.amleo.com/leonard-rigid-plastic-mesh-tree-guards-4-inch-diameter/p/VP-BG/

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4505

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Empty Re: The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning

Post  has55 6/19/2019, 5:56 pm

OG, It does look like the same product. I had planned to leave them in and harvest the mature compost up to and around the tubing as needed, then remove it easily.

Have you seen good prices of the metal tubing?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/4/2019, 3:30 pm

Oh, oh.  Am I supposed to cover everything with a plastic tarp?  Mowed alfalfa hay, fall leaves, bedding straw, plus 1 cup blood meal and half a bag of alfalfa feed pellets.  And lots of water on each layer. Here are 3 photos: The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Compos28
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Compos30
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Compos29

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/5/2019, 3:46 am

do the pipes have holes? It will prevent the compost from going anaerobic. you'll pulled the pipes out after 24 hrs. The piles looks right , at least 12 inches from each other to prevent any dead space or anaerobic conditions. is that a breathable fabric on the back and side walls. Use a weed cloth cover on the top. Look at my pictures to see how everything is allowing air to flow into and through the pile, outside and inside to prevent an anaerobic condition.
Yes you water every layer as you are building it. this why the air flow is so important. The sources you are using is ok.

after it built, you will water everyday for one min, sometimes twice a day for very hot climates.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/6/2019, 3:40 am

The pipes are rigid leach lines and the perforations are on the back sides, not shown. I have a layer of bedding straw on top, like mulch. Three (3) side have weed fabric and the front has the warped removable boards so I hope there's enough ventilation. On the morning of 4th, steam was coming out of the pipes. This evening when I got back in town, the 5th, the temps were 160*F in the center and 150* 4" in on the sides. I'm just watering with the hose as I am here 99% of the time.

So, I should remove the pipes now? I will place the bridal tulle cover over it to prevent crepe myrtle flowers from falling on it over the weeks.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/6/2019, 10:37 am

Sanderson, you're doing great!!!  Remove the pipes because it getting too hot and will go anaerobic. It will settle down.  It needs the air flow. the pipes stay only 24 hrs because there not enough holes in it to allow the air to spread thru the compost pile. you need to cover the entire top of the box, no sunlight, so the microbes can do their thing. you need to find a way to make you door aerated so air is flowing from the outside in. in my pictures, the weed cloth is allowing air and water to flow through the walls and the top and thru the pipe vents. Don't let the steam fool you. it usually just a sign of two temps between the outside air and inside, like in the winter when you blow hot air out of your mouth and it meets the cold air.
ps -water every day for one minute, maybe twice a day if temps are too hot. don't let the top layer dry out, it will keep the rest of the pile moist.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 7/6/2019, 11:12 am

has55 and sanderson, thank you for sharing. I haven't even started mine yet. I won't have the needed materials until the leaves begin to fall but sanderson gave me a great way to place my tubes, in two pairs and a triplet. Thank you very much. Now I don't have to get my brother to weld me anything in a circle, three straight pipes, up and out. If it helps you are basically herding microbes in an enclosed pasture, water and air regulate temperature to allow the microbes to thrive. 160 F is a critical temperature for beneficial microbes, 145 F for pathogens and weed seeds, better to stay in the 150 - 155 F. Most living things, plants and animals begin to labor just to maintain above 95 F.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/6/2019, 12:27 pm

update, I had the holes closed again after adding two pounds of Alabama jumpers to the 2 pounds of compost worm I added earlier in the project. They have caused my holes to fill in again. I would think when they stuck their little head through the walls of the vent they would turn around, but NOOOOOOOO, they seem to continue moving through the vents causing it to fill in, maybe collapse. I'm not sure how it happening since their no camera there to catch the actual live event.
Solution: decided to use my PVC pipes since they already on hand and drill many holes into it so it is very aerated and air passes thru easily into the compost pile. I also glued and screwed to the pipe a super solar screening from Lowes to prevent those critters from figuring a way to refill the pipes. I reinserted the pipes and recovered the bioreactor. I'll let you know how it goes. The compost has dropped two feet from the 5 feet, unbelievable!!!, but it will be concentrated nutrient full of healthy microbes when matured. So a little bit of compost will go a long way.

The second Bioreactor is still open, but if it closes I will add permanent pipes to it too, but I will use a hole saw to make 1-2 inch holes in the PVC pipe and cover with the solar screen. It was a lot of drilling to make the small holes before the light bulb came on because I had not figured out about using the solar screen to prevent further closing at the time I started the multiple holes project.

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Img_0712
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Img_0711
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Img_0710The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Img_0713
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Img_0714

release yesterday on David Johnson Channel.

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/6/2019, 2:57 pm

So, Dan, you like my bamboo and old shoe laces set up? Wink This is my last compost pile in the 3x3x3 bin so I didn't want to put a lot of money into it, just had to purchase the pipes. I was able to use up all the stores of fall leaves, bedding straw, alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets. Bagged composts will take their place.

Has, I don't know if I will be adding any worms when it cools. My earthworms? The pile will only be short 2' tall when it cools. Meanwhile, I have the tumbler where I used up the frozen stash of kitchen waste, plus some of the material listed above.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/7/2019, 4:34 am

sanderson wrote:

Has,  I don't know if I will be adding any worms when it cools.  My earthworms?  The pile will only be short 2' tall when it cools. 
the worms complete the maturing of the compost. you can harvest your worms from the compost bioreactor bin to put back into your worm bin when it finishes maturing.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/7/2019, 2:16 pm

Razz No more worm bin. Some mammal burrowed underneath and scarfed up lots of worms. Then, the big garden roaches and black widows moved in. I'm thinking that I may use the J-Su rough compost in the 1'x50' BTE strip, then recover with wood chips. The worms can have a ball there.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/12/2019, 4:06 am

I about hurt myself this evening when watering the J-Su bin wearing some slip-on bedroom slippers.  I have a layer of straw mulch on the surface to slow evaporation.  Well, I'm up next to it, watering with the hose wand, when a mouse jumps up out of the straw and runs in my direction. affraid   I jumped backwards, off a 4" ledge, losing both slippers and almost fell down.  #2 reason to end my illustrious carrier of making compost.  Razz

Note: The core is still warm at 140*F with 5" in from the sides at 122*F.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/12/2019, 5:23 am

temps are good. Did you remove the pipes? Have you covered the system with weed cloth barrier? Remove the straw to prevent other mammals from coming to terrify you. You're a brave women taking on that mouse with a quick retreat.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/12/2019, 1:02 pm

has55 wrote: You're a brave women taking on that mouse with a quick retreat.
rofl

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/15/2019, 3:48 am

Sanderson, were you able to remove the pipes and completely cover it? how are you doing with the aeration? How's the temp?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/17/2019, 9:58 pm

The short pile is now down to 18". I water daily and it looks like the mouse has left the house.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/18/2019, 10:21 am

sanderson wrote:The short pile is now down to 18".  I water daily and it looks like the mouse has left the house.
yea, that was my concerns. I saw a 5-foot shredded leaves bioreactor drop 2 ft which is about the size of a standard compost pile you are turning by hand. I love not turning it, but I think you have to make it deeper. The good thing is you can see how aggressively the microbes work on it. It is fascinating.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Empty Update -fixing closing of the holes

Post  has55 8/23/2019, 7:10 pm

Update, two weeks ago I had to reopen the holes again for the third time due to the worms being so aggressive. So I decided to put in permanent pipes with large holes, wrapped in solar screen to prevent it from going anaerobic. So far, so good.  

pipes with large holes for aeration and wrapped in solar screen
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Pipes_12

Pipes stack up in IBC tote
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Pipes_10

Pipes inserted into #2 bioreactor holes
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Pipes_11

bioreactor compost in #2 bioreactor
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Biorea10

setting  sprayer again in #2 bioreactor
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Settin10

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/23/2019, 9:46 pm

The compost is looking good! The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 3170584802

I really like the idea of making large holes in the pipe and wrapping with weed fabric to prevent cave-ins. Your worm activity reminds me of the movie Tremors.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 8/23/2019, 11:34 pm

sanderson wrote:The compost is looking good!  The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 3170584802

I really like the idea of making large holes in the pipe and wrapping with weed fabric to prevent cave-ins.  Your worm activity reminds me of the movie Tremors.
Lol. Tremors, One of my favorite movies series.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/24/2019, 3:25 am

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 60389

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 8/24/2019, 1:02 pm

sanderson wrote:The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 60389
have you seen the last one in 2018 Tremors 6: A Cold Day in Hell) with Burt still being the star?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 8/26/2019, 5:33 pm

this is for you Sanderson. I found this on the post today. 
You're awesome.

Sigrid Anderson Question: Are the perforated pipes sitting on the pallet slats, each straddling 2 slats so there is good air flow? I set mine down on loose beveled brick and the bottom got septic. Now air flow from underneath. I like the way Austin Smith cut plenty of holes, and big holes, and wrapped with weed fabric. That way he could leave them in and the worms couldn't drag/push material into the holes.

Josh WrightThe SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 _ZvGTxrlsmm Sigrid Anderson I cut holes through the pallets on the bottom then put the pipes all the way to the ground so in theory there's almost 4 inches under the bottom layer of weed stop fabric. I also maintained (to the best of my ability) the same gap around the entire perimeter. Air seemed to flow very well so far.
I saw a few that were built and they had found no difference between the reactors with maintained holes and ones that were allowed to cave in as part of natural progression.
Honestly I have no clue if this will work out well, but I had the resources to try it so I gave it a try. I have a thermometer coming tomorrow to check temperature but from a simple hand full feels as though it is progressing well.

Sigrid Anderson Josh Wright I tried the design in my 3'x3'x3' compost bin using leach field/ french drain pipes. It was the last compost I will ever be making, of any type, as I am almost 71. Little old lady. :smile: I have just had to try all types of composting so I would be a better instructor.

Austin Smith you're awesome Ms. Sigrid Anderson

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 68736149_694103647775399_7268171575025729536_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_oc=AQno6Lxje41WWd_1r67tU-81fpCI92eGIJoj_c1eVqSo17gHhV1ONs3L8UgGpiMHvng&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 69214609_694103677775396_4497793785069043712_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQlchQjbH-2fCzHOd0TujqeOTnRRsYVqM2LS9FpkkVmKq7BQYVGupYpJynbA4IIw064&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 69029970_694103741108723_8057536403107479552_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQlSTfHckFWihX8zwJDb9GMPHAgFjBcngr4Ar1aC64g0m4uXm0dXeMpmDBot-_m7za4&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 69214234_694103787775385_1922569623891345408_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQnbxW9ZdVxFSCRTcgi5mbscIjoVsI6Ps5YNaDgZxhb4m091-Rx5bMEjJl4pxZ3Gfxw&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/29/2019, 2:43 am

I just saw that! Embarassed

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 9/23/2019, 11:02 pm

My first test report came in for #1 Johnson Su Compost Bioreactor. It's ok for my greens I just planted. How much homemade compost is everyone applying to their beds?
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Image011
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Image010

The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Austin10
The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning - Page 3 Austin11
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next