Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG Journey: Beneficial nematodes experiment Toplef10SFG Journey: Beneficial nematodes experiment 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG Journey: Beneficial nematodes experiment I22gcj10SFG Journey: Beneficial nematodes experiment 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Monthly Avatar: September, Show Off Your Garden Harvest!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:05 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:02 pm

» Late thinning ?
by sanderson Today at 2:09 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 2:04 am

» Brandywine-specific question
by sanderson Today at 2:02 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:31 pm

» cherokee purple...seed to dish
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 7:20 pm

» California - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» N&C Midwest—September 2019
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:02 pm

» OG Living Mulch Experiment
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 11:04 am

» Homemade Concrete Raised Beds
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:21 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 10:12 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 9:40 am

» Update on Marie's mom
by Yardslave 9/14/2019, 6:07 pm

» humus, humic substances and humic acid in our soil and compost
by has55 9/14/2019, 10:42 am

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 9/14/2019, 10:05 am

» TD's Health
by RJARPCGP 9/14/2019, 7:06 am

» N&C Midwest: August 2019
by sanderson 9/14/2019, 2:25 am

» ID California Tree, Please
by sanderson 9/14/2019, 2:24 am

» Tomato Tuesday - 2018 & 2019
by sanderson 9/13/2019, 12:54 pm

» Future OGSFG
by sanderson 9/12/2019, 4:47 pm

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in September 2019
by sanderson 9/12/2019, 4:43 pm

» Hello from the Southest-Westest of the contig. 48
by sanderson 9/12/2019, 2:53 pm

» Stevia
by countrynaturals 9/11/2019, 6:11 pm

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 9/11/2019, 6:08 pm

» has55's R & D Journey
by has55 9/11/2019, 12:06 pm

» Marigold and other flower choices
by sanderson 9/11/2019, 3:23 am

» What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow?
by sanderson 9/11/2019, 3:10 am

» September: What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by sanderson 9/11/2019, 3:06 am

» New Mulch Between Beds
by sanderson 9/9/2019, 9:55 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG Journey: Beneficial nematodes experiment

Go down

SFG Journey: Beneficial nematodes experiment Empty SFG Journey: Beneficial nematodes experiment

Post  has55 on 12/14/2018, 8:38 pm

I’m going to try an experiment with my 14 vermicomposting buckets this winter. It may be the wrong time to do it, so if it fails, I will retry in the spring, but I should have some success with my 4 vermicompost buckets in the greenhouse. I have been studying how to grow my own beneficial nematodes to compost the enemies in the soil. I found these websites to be helpful though I have not tried it yet. 

I’m going to go to the pet store and get some wax moth larvae or mealworms and placed them on top of the vermicompost to see if they get infected. I should know within 24-48 hrs because they will be dead. I will place them in with their food supply that I get from the store. If this work, the mealworm cost about 4 dollars for 250 of them or s.0-15.00 for the wax moth worm, 500 ct.
 if successful I will make a small row and bury them approx 3 inches in the soil then top it off with leaves and let those babies clean up the garden beds.
This will be the cheapest ways to get my nematodes and quickly clean up the beds from soil disease.
beneficial nematodes

SFG Journey: Beneficial nematodes experiment Img_1810
SFG Journey: Beneficial nematodes experiment Vermic11
SFG Journey: Beneficial nematodes experiment Vermic12

here's some links on rearing your own. 

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=75677

https://youtu.be/Gg1cosZY6k0

Material & Supply Video for Rearing Nematodes
https://youtu.be/QNpNjFImrN0
has55
has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

SFG Journey: Beneficial nematodes experiment Empty Re: SFG Journey: Beneficial nematodes experiment

Post  OhioGardener on 12/14/2018, 9:11 pm

An interesting experiment, Has55! Be sure to keep us posted. Where did you get your starter culture of nematodes?

A couple years ago in the late spring my raised beds got infested with grubs - Japanese Beetle, and Chafer Beetle - and they were destroying a lot of tender plants. I did a soil saturation with Beneficial Nematodes and in less than a month I could not find a live grub anywhere in the beds. I bought a Beneficial Nematode starter culture from a aquaponics shop and "bred" them to provide enough that I could saturate the soil of all of the beds.  The following year I repeated the process on sections of the lawn where I was seeing skunks dig for grubs, and the skunks moved to our neighbors yards.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

SFG Journey: Beneficial nematodes experiment Empty Re: SFG Journey: Beneficial nematodes experiment

Post  has55 on 12/15/2018, 9:56 am

@OhioGardener wrote:An interesting experiment, Has55! Be sure to keep us posted. Where did you get your starter culture of nematodes?

No starter culture. I'm hoping they are in the vermicompost. This is what the experiment is about. free nematodes. when I took my vermicompost buckets to Heather Rinaldi owner of Texas worm ranch in the spring of this year, she found beneficial nematodes using her microscope. She had taken Dr. Elaine Ingham soil food web course.
has55
has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct on 12/15/2018, 5:02 pm

has55, I was going to run an experiment with meal worms eating styrofoam last year but never got around to it. This year for sure. They sell the wax worms at Walmart and are in stock, not at my local Walmart but not too far away. 36 for $2.17. Here is a link to a Michigan State U, Rearing nematodes, Do-It-Yourself Guide.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/rearing_nematodes_do_it_yourself_guide

Keep us posted as I have Japanese beetles, Asiatic Garden beetles and Oriental beetles. Never a major infestation, just enough to make some of the basil leaves look raggedy. I usually as a bucketeer leave a few strategically placed buckets half filled with water and many just take care of themselves.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 139

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 8/23/2019, 11:48 pm

has55
has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum