Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Wondering how folks organize their seeds? - Page 2 Toplef10Wondering how folks organize their seeds? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Wondering how folks organize their seeds? - Page 2 I22gcj10Wondering how folks organize their seeds? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Wondering how folks organize their seeds? - Page 2 Toplef10Wondering how folks organize their seeds? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Wondering how folks organize their seeds? - Page 2 I22gcj10Wondering how folks organize their seeds? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Wondering how folks organize their seeds?

+17
Ha-v-v
jenjehle
timwardell
ander217
Megan
boffer
Wyldflower
SirTravers
PB
chocolatepop
Selandra
Bec
Chopper
chexmix
camprn
dixie
middlemamma
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wondering how folks organize their seeds? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wondering how folks organize their seeds?

Post  PB 5/20/2010, 9:27 pm

Happy Anniversary Mr. and Mrs. Boffer!!!
My 27th is Friday the 21.
Hubby has his workshop. I have my barn. There the line is drawn!! Wondering how folks organize their seeds? - Page 2 Suspect
PB
PB

Female Posts : 95

Back to top Go down

Wondering how folks organize their seeds? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wondering how folks organize their seeds?

Post  boffer 5/21/2010, 1:46 am

PB wrote:Happy Anniversary Mr. and Mrs. Boffer!!!
My 27th is Friday the 21.
Hubby has his workshop. I have my barn. There the line is drawn!! Wondering how folks organize their seeds? - Page 2 Suspect

And we meet happily in the middle for dinner! Happy anniversary to you too.

I know the experts recommend refrigerating seeds for storage, but does anybody have experience to offer to show that it does or doesn't help? Or am I getting by OK without refrigerating because of my moderate climate?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  PB 5/23/2010, 7:53 pm

Well I figured if they are in the refrigerator. I will know where they are...... I have been known for sticking some here there and everywhere! Wondering how folks organize their seeds? - Page 2 Icon_redface
PB
PB

Female Posts : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  bonnie0128 5/24/2010, 8:39 am

I thought this was a good blog post:
http://chiotsrun.com/2010/02/26/organizing-the-seed-stash/
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Female Posts : 110

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 5/24/2010, 11:39 am

bonnie0128 wrote:I thought this was a good blog post:
http://chiotsrun.com/2010/02/26/organizing-the-seed-stash/

That sure looks like a wonderful system! (I'm still more of the "toss it in the shoebox" school of thought - though at least now I have taped the packets shut.)
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 5/24/2010, 12:08 pm

Thanks for asking the question. It was something I have also been wondering about. I like the idea of saving the gel packs from things to keep the seeds dry. So far, my seeds have been in a small box in the garage. I fold over the tops when I use them and fasten with a paper clip. Mine are separted into flowers, herbs and veggies and then they are alphabetic. Think I need some plastic bags though or a sealed tub and those gel things.

Someone mentioned they had tuperware that fit the seed packs. I would love to find one of these. Do you have dimensions or an idea where I could pick one up?
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 5/24/2010, 2:22 pm

Hi,
I am the file box shoe/ box style of gardener. I just have a veggie box and a flower box. I save all of the envelopes that seeds come in and make notes in my garden book or stick them in the back of the files labeled "empty packages from past gardens." The notes help me to remember if my family liked something, if it did well or was mole/vole food. Every once in awhile I go back through the box and see if I need to reorder an old favorite, which I forgot about. Happy gardening.

Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 5/24/2010, 4:27 pm

I have a file box that has 14 files. One for each month and 1 each for warm season repeaters and cool season repeaters. I did it this way since my biggest struggle has been the timing of when to plant what. I'm still learning all that for TX (compared to when I was a kid in Nebraska - zone 5/6).

So, packets (or zip bags) are clipped together by types - tomatoes, squash, beans, warm flowers, cool flowers, etc and placed in the file for the first possible month they can be planted. Since I almost have 3 different seasons (2 cool, 1 warm) the cool crops will be planted around September, then they go into the file for the next possible planting month - ie: Broccoli is in the "September" file now and will go back into the "February" file when I'm done with it this year. Carrots and lettuce are in "September", but they will go into the cool repeater file until I can no longer plant them because of the heat next summer. I will be planting them right through winter in the cold frames.

Tomatoes are back in "January" since I just started my seeds indoors for the July planting of tomatoes. Squash, cukes, melons, etc just stay in "March" since that's the only planting I do of those. Basil is in February with Eggplant, since I start them indoors in March and set them out about April.

The entire box is in the house at room temp, but if I had room in the fridge, it would be in there. I don't have dessicant packs in there since the box doesn't seal that well. My soybean/edamame seeds did not sprout worth a darn this year - had to buy more anyway and the second planting with new seed started much better.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Sharon
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2