Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Non-Standard Garden Area Prep Questions Toplef10Non-Standard Garden Area Prep Questions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Non-Standard Garden Area Prep Questions I22gcj10Non-Standard Garden Area Prep Questions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Non-Standard Garden Area Prep Questions Toplef10Non-Standard Garden Area Prep Questions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Non-Standard Garden Area Prep Questions I22gcj10Non-Standard Garden Area Prep Questions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Non-Standard Garden Area Prep Questions

2 posters

Go down

Non-Standard Garden Area Prep Questions Empty Non-Standard Garden Area Prep Questions

Post  SFGFTW 10/8/2018, 12:45 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to gardening, but I really want to start growing my own food given the state of phude (food-like substance) purchased from the stores.

However, I'm new to gardening - and I mean new.

I have two plot areas that I want to set up as initial gardens.  The first is former flower bed between the house and the walkway.  However, it has some previous plants with very deep roots.  What is the most efficient and effective way to remove those roots so they don't become a problem later?  Can I just dig most of the root up and then cover the surface with the anti-weed black mesh and never worry about the roots again?

The second plot is actually a hill area in my backyard that rises about 40 degrees.  It also has some deep roots and foliage, but I will use the same principles outlined in answers to question to deal with that condition.

Thanks in advance for the help.
SFGFTW
SFGFTW

Back to top Go down

Non-Standard Garden Area Prep Questions Empty Re: Non-Standard Garden Area Prep Questions

Post  sanderson 10/8/2018, 2:45 pm

SFGFTW, Welcome to the Forum from Central Cal. You have two different area to deal with.

For the area between the walkway and the house, if you have a situation where the plants will not come back up if you remove the major roots, then you can cover with weed fabric and set down your beds. However, don't put the beds near the foundation of the house or you may encourage termites which will cost you $$$. Always keep the foundation clean and dry. Leave enough room to pull up any weeds that may grow between the box and house. Leaving a 2' space will allow you to tend to the plants and harvest.

For the hill, I would go straight to table tops. Set a row of bricks or pavers on the up hill edge and attach legs the proper length to level the box on the down hill side. Set the legs on pavers. One of our members had a steep slope in the front yard and he did it with great success. I wish I could remember his name so I could post a link. Embarassed

Here's how one of my beds was made. https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t22272-sanderson-s-table-top-beds

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Non-Standard Garden Area Prep Questions Empty Re: Non-Standard Garden Area Prep Questions

Post  sanderson 10/10/2018, 12:59 am

Crickets.  Does anyone else have any suggestions?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGFTW 10/10/2018, 2:51 am

sanderson wrote:SFGFTW, Welcome to the Forum from Central Cal. You have two different area to deal with.

For the area between the walkway and the house, if you have a situation where the plants will not come back up if you remove the major roots, then you can cover with weed fabric and set down your beds. However, don't put the beds near the foundation of the house or you may encourage termites which will cost you $$$. Always keep the foundation clean and dry. Leave enough room to pull up any weeds that may grow between the box and house. Leaving a 2' space will allow you to tend to the plants and harvest.

For the hill, I would go straight to table tops. Set a row of bricks or pavers on the up hill edge and attach legs the proper length to level the box on the down hill side. Set the legs on pavers. One of our members had a steep slope in the front yard and he did it with great success. I wish I could remember his name so I could post a link. Embarassed

Here's how one of my beds was made. https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t22272-sanderson-s-table-top-beds

Thanks for the input - especially about staying at least 2" away from the house to avoid termites. That problem would've "bit me." Get it? Ha ha. Seriously, though, that wasn't even on my radar. By "pavers," I think you mean a cement "brick-like" platform upon which the leg can rest instead of on dirt. The hill is about 6' high. Would two levels work out well? I envision space to work the garden being from base of the hill to the top of the hill with no space between the two tables from the bottom to the top of the hill. However, If I do two levels I will have to check and see how much sun gets blocked on the lower level.
SFGFTW
SFGFTW

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/10/2018, 1:11 pm

I'm on a road trip so I don't have access to any photos.  I'm envisioning 4'x4' beds with separation between them on all sides for ease of access all  around each.  Cement bricks or 6"x12" or 12"x12" to set the upper edge of the box and the down-hill legs.  Which direction does the hill face?  If south, and with a 40 degree slope, there will be no problem with sun exposure.  Mel recommended 3' between beds in all directions.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum