Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fourth Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Today at 3:27 am

» N&C Midwest: November/December 2018
by sanderson Today at 3:26 am

» Half composted, how to finish
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 10:33 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by RJARPCGP Yesterday at 6:27 pm

» types of compost in Mel's Mix
by plantoid Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:04 pm

» Goat manure "compost
by Dan in Ct Yesterday at 9:14 am

» Help needed with pathway
by sanderson 11/13/2018, 4:33 am

» SUGA 2018
by SQWIB 11/12/2018, 8:19 am

» has55's R & D Journey
by has55 11/12/2018, 3:46 am

» This season: what worked? what didn't?
by Scorpio Rising 11/11/2018, 5:00 pm

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing October - December 2018
by sanderson 11/11/2018, 3:11 pm

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals 11/10/2018, 4:38 pm

» Can I tell what year a post was made?
by sanderson 11/10/2018, 2:54 pm

» New England November, 2018
by Scorpio Rising 11/8/2018, 5:50 pm

» Sweet Potatoes
by sanderson 11/8/2018, 1:24 pm

» Fall in the Northern Midwest....
by sanderson 11/8/2018, 2:22 am

» Biochar?
by OhioGardener 11/7/2018, 9:04 am

» Recycle pumpkin Jack-o-lanterns as cathole compost bucket?
by OhioGardener 11/7/2018, 8:02 am

» N&C Midwest: October 2018
by Scorpio Rising 11/6/2018, 9:34 pm

» November Avatar: "Fabulous Fall!"
by Scorpio Rising 11/6/2018, 9:29 pm

» The struggle to lose weight
by Scorpio Rising 11/6/2018, 7:01 pm

» Brix tests for nutrition density
by OhioGardener 11/6/2018, 8:05 am

» Free Mulch & Compost
by sanderson 11/5/2018, 3:49 am

» Sale on Garlic
by sanderson 11/3/2018, 3:06 am

» My first of many wicking bed SFG or Square Meter Garden pictures
by sanderson 11/3/2018, 2:13 am

» Howdy From Melbourne
by sanderson 11/3/2018, 2:11 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by yolos 10/31/2018, 11:49 pm

» G'day newbie from down under
by sanderson 10/31/2018, 4:19 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Trouble with the Neighbors' Dogs+Bears +Garbage

Go down

Trouble with the Neighbors' Dogs+Bears +Garbage

Post  Kelejan on 6/19/2018, 6:33 pm

Two or three years ago our city made everyone have one of these fancy bear-resistance garbage cans so the the garbage men would not have to pick up cans and empty into the garbage collection vehicles. These new cans seem to be everywhere now, even on "Coronation Street" in England. Very Happy

Very laudable as it must be back breaking work doing something like that every day.

My problem are the bears that come from the ridge above the properties that are along the road we live in.  We are on the edge of miles of mountains and trees that are the home of the bears; we are also in the way of them getting to the Columbia River to get water and also food from those lovely  humans who leave it out for them.  The far edge of my garden is  a natural pathway for them so there is no way I can block it off as then the bears will walk much near to my home.

My new neighbors need training.  Two days ago a bear was around and took the contents of Silas' can and spread it around the edge of my garden. I began to pick up the garbage, then Silas appeared on his deck as he heard his dog barking so came to see what was going on.  I lifted up a plastic bag that had contained cooked ribs of some sort and asked him had he lost something. I must say he immediately came down and apologized and helped me clear up. 

This morning, I actually saw the bear there foraging beside the horizontal garbage can.  He looked to be a very strong brown bear, still wary as he ran away when a car passed by, but was soon back actually lying down comfortably munching away.

Then I saw Jessica this morning at about six wondering where their garbage can was.  She peeked around the corner of her garage then disappeared to returned with gloved hands and a trash bag. she did not realize that when she saw her can on the ground in my garden, she did not see the bear round the corner but he heard her and ran up the hillside. He then loitered around for a bit then disappeared.

Once gain I took our my trusty  "reacher" and another trash bag and helped Jessica clear up, picking up that same plastic bag that held the ribs, I then told her how close the bear was and I am hoping that it will teach this nice couple to be more careful now.

When they moved in a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned about the bears and about putting a piece of fence between us but the answer was "No way".

I am hoping for some results.  At least the dogs are alerting them.

The other problem I am having are their dogs, a huge lab/mastiff cross at 130 pounds and a small pug that they have just acquired.  The other side is a new young dog,must be close to 100 pounds, out of control, just a huge puppy who wants to be friends by knocking me off my feet when I am weeding etc.  They all leave their trademarks so I am having to go out every day and remove their deposits.

Then there are the seven new cats that have appeared in this area who love the soft earth I leave just for them. I like cats and dogs, but this is getting a little too much.

Help!!!   Ok, got that off my chest.  They either do something or I will have to live with it and start fencing areas that I do not want trampled.
Kelejan

Female Posts : 5358

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Trouble with the Neighbors' Dogs+Bears +Garbage

Post  SQWIB on 6/19/2018, 9:20 pm

Limit all three of their food supply, then the dogs eat the cats, the bears eat the dogs then you eat the bears.
I'm just trying to lighten up the situation a bit.
But seriously
To me it sounds like a fence is in order.
SQWIB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality on 6/19/2018, 11:06 pm

New neighbors, you clearly should welcome them to the neighborhood with a house warming gift.  May I suggest one of the many fine pooper scoopers available via Amazon?

As for the bears and your neighbors life expectancy, Id suggest a calling wildlife/animal control.  Bears that continue feeding in proximity to humans steadily lose their fear of human proximity and associate their presence and habitation with food.

No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 627

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 6/20/2018, 1:39 am

SQWIB, I did welcome them with a couple of bottles of wine.  I must find the Bear Aware site and report them; I have done it before.

Have you ever eaten bear?  I ate some when I attended our local Wildlife Banquet once. It was a kind of stew, tasted good.  Other things were the usual deer, elk, etc.  I would never shoot a living thing myself, only clay pigeons or targets.
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 6/20/2018, 2:10 am

KJ, Does your town have a leash law? Are dogs allowed to run loose? You are in a sensitive situation in that you want to get along with all neighbors if possible. But, picking up dog poop and having every critter enjoying your hard efforts is too much.

Will the City assist with a call on the neighbors for some training (before a fine)?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 17037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 6/20/2018, 7:16 am

Sanderson, I think that given a little time my neighbours will do something about it.
They have only been in about two weeks and they both have good jobs and have adult
children.

I will give them some time and see if they can sort out their garbage, (this was their first garbage collection), and also build an extension off their deck that can  be enclosed very easily and be both dog and bear proof. When next we talk I will suggest it.
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackjackWidow on 6/20/2018, 9:00 am

KJ, so sorry for your troubles. It's bad enough battling your own critters, without having to double your work due to neighbors' ignorance. As scary as the bear troubles are, I would be most worried about the rambunctious puppy knocking you down! You could easily be hurt. It may take some friendly but firm discussions about what you're dealing with; they all need to know exactly what is happening. I'm not one to call the police at first problem either, but your thought about the Bear Aware site is a good one!
BlackjackWidow

Female Posts : 173

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum