Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to site and new to planting parsips!
by sanderson Today at 3:09 am

» Japanese Beetle Battle
by sanderson Today at 3:03 am

» 2018 SFG in Brooks, GA
by sanderson Today at 12:34 am

» Mini pumpkin question
by sanderson Today at 12:16 am

» SFG Journey:cucumber and heat
by sanderson Today at 12:14 am

» New England July, 2018
by sanderson Today at 12:13 am

» My Onion harvest
by sanderson Today at 12:11 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 12:03 am

» hantavirus
by RJARPCGP Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2018
by yolos Yesterday at 5:16 pm

» What critter did this?
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:50 pm

» Freezing food
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:47 pm

» Fourth Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2018
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:29 am

» Pesto chicken, tortellini and vegetables
by suseine Yesterday at 11:11 am

» Using Dehumidifier Water
by suseine Yesterday at 10:23 am

» July Avatar: Anything Goes!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:29 am

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:16 am

» Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:10 am

» Mel's mix good for some plants but not all?
by sanderson 7/18/2018, 4:31 pm

» "Aggressively Organic" growing method?
by sanderson 7/18/2018, 3:48 pm

» TT's plywood vs. hardware cloth, etc.
by sanderson 7/18/2018, 2:05 pm

» Sanderson's Table Top Beds
by SQWIB 7/18/2018, 7:37 am

» 2nd year SFG in ND
by Turan 7/18/2018, 1:11 am

» N&C Midwest: July Has Arrived 2018
by Scorpio Rising 7/17/2018, 8:14 pm

» Yay me! Look what I found
by Scorpio Rising 7/17/2018, 8:07 pm

» How to build gardens off the ground?
by sanderson 7/17/2018, 4:52 pm

» SUGA 2018
by SQWIB 7/17/2018, 8:25 am

» Interplanting Beans/Cucumbers to repel beetles
by sanderson 7/17/2018, 3:34 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

N&C Midwest: June is Here!

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

re: June is here!

Post  ispinwool on 6/11/2018, 1:23 pm

@farmersgranddaughter wrote:I planted a Brown Turkey fig tree earlier this year.  It's putting out new leaves but hasn't grown very tall.  The blackberries have also leafed out with one having a single blossom.

My husband planted Nasturtiums several weeks ago in containers on the patio.  I went out yesterday with my little green plastic watering can to give them a drink.  Afterward, I set the can on the table and played ball with Minnie, our German Wirehaired Pointer.  Later in the day, my husband noticed something green flying around in the yard.  I guess Minnie found a new toy.  She was lying on her back, throwing the watering can into the air and catching it. When I purchased the can, I was looking for one with a sprinkler head but they didn't have any at the store.  I guess have one now.    Smile

darn funny
ispinwool

Female Posts : 59

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N&C Midwest: June is Here!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/11/2018, 6:17 pm

FGD, I think corn will be OK.  Sweet corn is a pretty short season crop.  What variety are you planting?  Some are quicker than others!  Are your squash in Mel’s Mix?  They are heavy feeders, might need a punch of nitrogen, too.
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 6093

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/12/2018, 7:34 pm

OK, here are some links to pics.  Or pics, depending on what happens!

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/12/2018, 7:36 pm

And now the tomatoes and my South Annex!

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 6/13/2018, 3:40 am

Looking good, SR.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 16505

View user profile

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest: June is Here!

Post  farmersgranddaughter on 6/13/2018, 8:43 am

SR, your garden is looking good.  Those stakes are interesting.  I must do something different next year when it comes to staking tomatoes as the fiberglass stakes I used just don't seem to be stable given the wind in our area.  I may switch to tomato cages.

To answer your questions, I planted Burpee's Golden Bantam corn (80 day).  Although I used MM in the boxes, I used potting mix amended with Black Kow in the four large planters where I have squash, zucchini, watermelon, and herbs so I'm sure you're right.  It's time for feeding.

Happy Wednesday, ya'll!
farmersgranddaughter

Female Posts : 106

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 6/13/2018, 1:40 pm

FGD, Can you just add more Black cow as food? Or a light feeding of organic fertilizer such as Espoma Garden-tone? Organics are made with composted feathers, bone meal, blood meal, etc.

sanderson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N&C Midwest: June is here!

Post  farmersgranddaughter on 6/13/2018, 9:04 pm

Sanderson, I have some Black Kow.  Should I just add it as a side dressing and mix it into the soil or mix it with water and use that to water the plants?  Thanks for your advice.
farmersgranddaughter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 6/14/2018, 1:23 am

Yes, you can either top dress or side dress and mix in, then water. Compost feeds the microbes which help feed the plants. You will be adding more compost the next time you plant, so start your search for a variety of compost. Black cow is a good manure-based type. Look for other-based types.

sanderson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/15/2018, 7:46 pm

Honestly, FGD, I side dress with a couple things in my containers that dont’ have MM; blood and bone meal, worm castings, with a well timed Alaska fish emulsion fertilizer (Wal-Mart).  My heavy feeders need it now, so that is on my to-do list for tomorrow AM before we hit 90*!

I use the worm castings in my MM boxes, as well as blood meal for extra nitrogen for some things.  Squash, cukes especially.
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/17/2018, 10:31 pm

OK, did not get any of that done, but glad to report that one of my beloved patty pans has germinated....cheers

Yea!  Super hot here.  Only work that got done was in the AMs.  Just too darn hot to do anything else, honestly.

Picked sugar snaps this morning.  Lettuce is bolting;  good timing for the squash transplants!  LOL!  There is a grand design here, and it isn’t me!

Sunflower babies are going to go in next weekend!  They are small.
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/19/2018, 7:14 pm

Squash (patty pan) went in yesterday, where the garlic and sugar snaps will vacate by the time it gets big.  Need to sprinkle blood and bone meal around.  Just a boost.

Raining now, nice, really.  Saves me some time and money!  Will get sunflower seedlings in tomorrow, they are getting pot bound, their roots are very vigorous! flower
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackjackWidow on 6/20/2018, 9:12 am

The last few days of heat in the 90's and high humidity has finally broken with rain most of the day yesterday and last night. The tomatoes and squash have really taken off in the heat. I am "suddenly behind" in suckering the tomatoes. I need to get out there and do the pruning. I've had some success with rooting some of the suckers and need to get them in soil. 

Also, according to the reminders I set up for myself, I should be germinating seeds for the brassicas right now. Unsure if I am going to try again, or just concentrate on securing the garden from my groundhog. I hate to spend all that time again, only to set up a salad bar for that chubby rodent!
BlackjackWidow

Female Posts : 173

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/20/2018, 7:00 pm

@BlackjackWidow wrote:The last few days of heat in the 90's and high humidity has finally broken with rain most of the day yesterday and last night. The tomatoes and squash have really taken off in the heat. I am "suddenly behind" in suckering the tomatoes. I need to get out there and do the pruning. I've had some success with rooting some of the suckers and need to get them in soil. 

Also, according to the reminders I set up for myself, I should be germinating seeds for the brassicas right now. Unsure if I am going to try again, or just concentrate on securing the garden from my groundhog. I hate to spend all that time again, only to set up a salad bar for that chubby rodent!
You are rooting the suckers?!  Nice!  I never have had room for that, but how easy is that???  

What brassicas are you wanting to germinate?
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackjackWidow on 6/21/2018, 9:37 am

SR - Rooting the cuttings is really easy! I never heard of taking cuttings from tomatoes before, until I read about it here. I just prune a sucker and pop it in a cup of water until it forms roots. This one is in dire need of potting right now, so ignore the yellowing - poor thing!

This is the first one I did; I bought the Super Sweet 100 Cherry tomato plant on the left, and the one on the right came from a sucker that I pruned when I first bought it. 
BlackjackWidow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackjackWidow on 6/21/2018, 9:46 am

I forgot to answer the question about the brassicas - I want to try for fall plantings of broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage, kohlrabi and baby choi. I had spring plantings of all of these, with varied success as I had cutworms take out most of them when I planted the babies out in the garden. And then most recently, a groundhog got into the enclosure and decimated everything. (I have details in my "BlackjackWidow's Rural Gamble" thread.)

I'd like to give it one more try, if I can fortify the garden area and keep that devil-rodent out of there. My main goal right now is keeping my tomatoes safe so I at least get a harvest of those.
BlackjackWidow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 6/21/2018, 8:14 pm

@BlackjackWidow wrote:SR - Rooting the cuttings is really easy! I never heard of taking cuttings from tomatoes before, until I read about it here. I just prune a sucker and pop it in a cup of water until it forms roots.
I've been a member for 5 years and this Forum amazes me with all the knowledge members have. I just keep on learning. I have read every post and reply for 5 years, now. study

sanderson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackjackWidow on 6/22/2018, 9:35 am

Sanders - I absolutely agree. Before I officially joined the forum, I had read every single post for 6 months, plus every one of the Friday rookie topics and all the stickies. I've bookmarked and referred often to the tomato diagram to figure out what a sucker is and how to prune it, and the compost topic with pictures. I've learned so much from so many people on here. Just a wealth of information!
BlackjackWidow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 6/22/2018, 2:17 pm

Very Happy

sanderson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  farmersgranddaughter on 6/22/2018, 8:39 pm

I'm so glad I found this forum.  I continue to learn from everyone.

I just walked in from my evening tour of the garden.  It's so peaceful and I enjoy checking the progress, pinching off a few suckers, staking where needed, and turning the compost.

A squash and a banana pepper will be ready to pick tomorrow. There's a baby zucchini (finally!), two baby Sugar Baby watermelons, little bell and jalapeno peppers, and even a couple of small okra pods.  The cherry tomatoes are starting to ripen.  Little cucumbers are on the vines.  There are a LOT of Roma and Better Boy tomatoes that are still green.  The cantaloupe vines are blossoming.  It's a small cantaloupe variety called "Minnesota Midget."  Has anyone grown this variety before?  I thought that, because they are small, they wouldn't take as long to mature.

Something is eating the okra.  The leaves have holes everywhere.  It looks like something is eating the corn too... and it's only about 6" tall.  There are ants everywhere.  I'm not sure if they are good or bad for a garden.

Thunderstorms, the tornado producing kind, are moving our way from Oklahoma.  I'm not excited about the winds, but the rains we've received are keeping the gardened watered.  I did have one tomato showing evidence of blossom end rot.  I'm guessing that, after the storm, I'll need to amend the soil.  What's a good calcium source?  Egg shells?

Ya'll have a safe and enjoyable evening!
farmersgranddaughter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackjackWidow on 6/23/2018, 8:35 am

@farmersgranddaughter wrote:Something is eating the okra.  The leaves have holes everywhere.  It looks like something is eating the corn too... and it's only about 6" tall.  There are ants everywhere.  I'm not sure if they are good or bad for a garden.

Ants are supposedly not *directly* bad for the garden - they don't eat plants, their tunnels can aerate the soil and they even will help keep caterpillar populations down. The bad thing is they can carry diseases from one plant to another, and they love aphids' "honeydew". They actively farm aphids and will protect them from predators. They're known to "milk" aphids for their secretions. I've seen them create little farms of aphids on my own plants, so I know it happens.

If you have a bunch of ants in the garden, I would look very closely at the plants the next time you're taking a stroll. If you see trails or spots that look kind of shiny and sticky on any of the leaves, that would be the honeydew left by aphids. Or watch to see if there's a particular plant or two that the ants seem to be favoring, that can give you an indication of where the aphids may be. I hope you don't have any, but if you do, at least the ants are kind of alerting you to the problem in the first place.
BlackjackWidow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 6/23/2018, 11:27 am

Ants and aphids love okra.  The ants seem to enter the okra just where the okra attaches to the stem.  I finally gave up growing okra because it attracts the ants and aphids.  Our ants will sting you and leave a welt so I am continually fighting them.
yolos

Female Posts : 3510

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 6/23/2018, 4:10 pm

So your okra can be sacrificial or trap plants. get that pesky wabbi

sanderson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  farmersgranddaughter on 6/24/2018, 11:29 am

I found evidence of aphids on the okra.  I'm going to spray the plants with an Ivory soap/water mixture and see if that cures the problem.  There are baby pods on the okra plants and I really don't want to lose them to either ants or aphids.

Yolos, I once lived in southeast Arkansas where there are fire ants.  I planted southern "crowder" peas and the ants took over the whole crop.  Although my husband didn't react to their bite, I got large welts.  A poultice using Adolph's meat tenderizer helped.
farmersgranddaughter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 6/24/2018, 4:48 pm

@farmersgranddaughter wrote:I found evidence of aphids on the okra.  I'm going to spray the plants with an Ivory soap/water mixture and see if that cures the problem.  There are baby pods on the okra plants and I really don't want to lose them to either ants or aphids.

Yolos, I once lived in southeast Arkansas where there are fire ants.  I planted southern "crowder" peas and the ants took over the whole crop.  Although my husband didn't react to their bite, I got large welts.  A poultice using Adolph's meat tenderizer helped.
thanks for the info about the Adolph's.  When I lived in Florida we were boaters and skiers.  We used the Adolph's for jellyfish stings.  In my garden, where ever you find aphids you will find ants (at least on the okra and cowpeas).
yolos

Female Posts : 3510

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum