Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello UK Toplef10Hello UK 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello UK I22gcj10Hello UK 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello UK Toplef10Hello UK 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello UK I22gcj10Hello UK 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello UK

+7
OhioGardener
plantoid
Kelejan
JohnKelly
sanderson
AtlantaMarie
robert1938
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hello UK Empty Hello UK

Post  robert1938 5/1/2018, 3:51 am

Does anyone in the UK use the forum, only one post this year !!!! Evil or Very Mad
robert1938
robert1938

Male Posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Hello UK Empty Re: Hello UK

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/1/2018, 8:19 am

Hi Robert! Marie here. Not UK though... Sorry...

Plantoid posts quite a bit, but not sure if it's in UK section. And I've seen some other folks posting. But, again, it's within whatever section they may be answering.

Tell us about YOUR garden this year! Let's get the UK section going!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/4/2018, 5:25 pm

Plantoid in Wales is a frequent poster. He just joins in on a post when it is something he is interested in. You can contact him under Members. I think there are enough UK members that you need to start up a thread, like "2018 SFG in the UK".

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Hello UK Empty Garden Allotments

Post  JohnKelly 8/11/2019, 7:39 am

A question for UK members, do you still have garden allotments?

https://www.learningwithexperts.com/gardening/blog/the-history-of-allotments

Cheers.
JohnKelly
JohnKelly

Male Posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/12/2019, 1:16 pm

ID, Did you ever Private Message Plantoid? Are you thinking of an allotment?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/12/2019, 4:10 pm

IrishDigger wrote:A question for UK members, do you still have garden allotments?

https://www.learningwithexperts.com/gardening/blog/the-history-of-allotments

Cheers.

I doubt many people have the allotments now as they used to be pretty large. Nowadays more likely to be small plots like our Square Foot gardens that most of us here use.

I do remember being taken by my dad on his bike about a mile down the road from where we lived, and he had an allotment where he produced all the vegetables we needed. He also had a similar sized garden and he also grew his favourite chrysanthemums and dahlias. He also had rabbits and chickens, and my mum used to heat up the food for the chickens so that they could keep warm in the winter.

I think that is where I grew to love gardening as I was given a potato to plant in a hole I had dug, and some time later I dug it up and there was a lovely pile of potatoes that provided for one Sunday Dinner.  Naturally I showed off saying that I had provided the potatoes for that meal and I did get praised. A very positive experience that many years later when I had a house of my own, I always grew something.

On his allotment my Dad had a shed which was my "playhouse". Naturally I had to share with the forks and spades etc, but there was room for me near the door and I had a little window put in..
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/14/2019, 3:26 am

Nice story, KJ, as usual.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/14/2019, 4:09 am

sanderson wrote:Nice story, KJ, as usual.

That was the first six years of my life, with my loving foster family. I will always remember them with love.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnKelly 3/26/2020, 2:20 am

sanderson wrote:ID, Did you ever Private Message Plantoid? Are you thinking of an allotment?

Gd'day Sanderson, sorry for the late reply, no I never did PM Plantoid.

I have a fairly large block and so I would not need an allotment, however there are quite a number of community gardens in Australia where the local community become involved in growing veggies etc.

My old back is playing up and I was thinking of getting one of these,

https://www.bunnings.com.au/birdies-2-9m-x-1-5m-x-0-74m-aluzinc-6-in-1-raised-garden-bed_p3320686

This is part of my back garden,

Hello UK Dandenongs1

JohnKelly
JohnKelly

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/26/2020, 2:43 am

I am supposed to go back to the UK to live this year but I am wondering if I will ever get there.

If I do, I will remain on this board and perhaps get a few others in time.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/26/2020, 3:18 pm

Irish digger, those tubs look handy , I wonder how long they will last .. ..  " Not long if it is Chinese galvanised rubbish steel if my experiences are any thing to go by .   They could make the internal form for you to put spacers  through holes and temporary bolt on an outer skin of oiled construction ply 5 inches away from the galvanised  wriggly tin then pour a fine grade concrete in between the two skins so you in effect end up with a zinc plated corrugated liner in a concrete tub .

I too have a few physical challenges ( and mental to  Laughing  ? )  , I paid someone to build my 29 raised beds in engineering bricks 900 mm 3 inches ) high .

It was the best thing I've ever done for as I got older ( it was 15 yrs ago ) and now am in my 70th year I would have had to give up any form of gardening in any bed lower than the 900 mm height.   It's also given me something to do now I as a high risk cripple am confined to our property due to the Corona virus reduction laws  that came in place Thursday 26 march 2020 .

Dave
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/26/2020, 4:26 pm

IrishDigger wrote:
My old back is playing up and I was thinking of getting one of these,

https://www.bunnings.com.au/birdies-2-9m-x-1-5m-x-0-74m-aluzinc-6-in-1-raised-garden-bed_p3320686

There is a guy in Australia that has a youtube channel called "SelfSufficientMe" in which he talks a lot about the Birdies raised beds. He seems to really like them.  You might want to check out his channel on these beds.  Here is one of his videos.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4504

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnKelly 3/27/2020, 8:10 am

Thanks Plantoid (Dave) and OhioGardener for the excellent advice.

Cheers.
JohnKelly
JohnKelly

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/29/2020, 5:27 pm

ID, The birdies are quite expensive!! Shocked Have you considered table top beds? Mine are 2' tall, a little short for planting but perfect for tending and harvesting the plants.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/31/2020, 4:26 am

sanderson wrote:ID, The birdies are quite expensive!! Shocked  Have you considered table top beds?  Mine are 2' tall, a little short for planting but perfect for tending and harvesting the plants.
In addition to being expensive,  they seem to be way deeper than we need for MM.  My 4x4 cedar beds are 7" deep and sit hip high to me on cinder blocks. After 9 years of use they started to fall apart last summer.    I also had some display tables that I got for free (best price) that I used for cement mixing tubs.  They are a little shy in depth but are great for salad greens and radishes and sat very nicely just outside my back door. Only 2 of the 3 left.  But sitting high like that sure has allowed me to continue gardening.

Sometimes I wish I could return to England for a summer.  I spent 2 1/2 years at RAF Croughton (Oct 1999-July 2002)  Had the best flower garden every while there.    I really enjoyed my side trips to Wales and Scotland.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnKelly 3/31/2020, 11:08 pm

sanderson wrote:ID, The birdies are quite expensive!! Shocked Have you considered table top beds? Mine are 2' tall, a little short for planting but perfect for tending and harvesting the plants.

Hmmm, worth a thought, thanks Sanderson.
JohnKelly
JohnKelly

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnKelly 3/31/2020, 11:19 pm

walshevak wrote:........Sometimes I wish I could return to England for a summer.  I spent 2 1/2 years at RAF Croughton (Oct 1999-July 2002)  Had the best flower garden every while there.    I really enjoyed my side trips to Wales and Scotland.

Kay

Hi Kay, at the risk of being pulled into line for going off topic, my wife and I did a tour of Scotland and thought the scenery was awesome. We went there to see The Edinburgh Military Tattoo and then did a bit of a tour around the highlands.

Were you stationed at RAF Croughton and perhaps living in married quarters; I served a number of years in the RAAF and was based throughout Australia and SE Asia.
JohnKelly
JohnKelly

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/19/2020, 5:59 pm

@IrishDigger. re reading the thread :-

I used to be 5 foot 10 & 1/2" but two spinal problems have dropped me down into a hunched 5 foot 7 . One thing I can say about my brick built raised beds is that if they had been any less than (  900 mm ) three foot high from the concrete paths I'd have had to give up gardening of any kind  as anything lower is far too painful to work over if it is lower. 

Were I to have to re do everything I'd still keep the beds in strings of six beds but I would reduce the widths to three foot  so weeding , cropping & sowing in the middle is going to be a lot easier on my bust spine , wrecked knees &  damaged  shoulder joints .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/19/2020, 6:04 pm

Hi, IrishDigger!  Welcome back!  Hello UK 3170584802  I have on the ground variety, but I see some taller beds in the future!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/28/2022, 2:04 am

plantoid wrote:@IrishDigger. re reading the thread :-

I used to be 5 foot 10 & 1/2" but two spinal problems have dropped me down into a hunched 5 foot 7 . One thing I can say about my brick built raised beds is that if they had been any less than (  900 mm ) three foot high from the concrete paths I'd have had to give up gardening of any kind  as anything lower is far too painful to work over if it is lower. 

Were I to have to re do everything I'd still keep the beds in strings of six beds but I would reduce the widths to three foot  so weeding , cropping & sowing in the middle is going to be a lot easier on my bust spine , wrecked knees &  damaged  shoulder joints .
Plantoid:  A long time ago I reduced my beds to 3 feet wide so that I do not fall into them.
Kelejan
Kelejan

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/28/2022, 2:17 am

Nice to see a few participants from the UK.  It is some time since I said I was returning to England to live but so far circumstances have foiled my plans, but for the moment they are still on hold.

I have sold my house but for the time being I am living here as a tenant until I can make my way to Essex to live with my brother's family.

Lots to write about, especially what was my garden and what I hope to have on my return to England.  It is getting late for me.

But Sanderson, I must resign from being responsible for the Canadian thread.
Kelejan
Kelejan

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/29/2022, 12:13 am

My garden is in others' hands now while I still wait to get to England.

The new owners are stripping almost everything and to my sorrow they took down the aging cherry tree that gave wonderful sweet cherries that I canned and am still eating, the one I gave it several layers of wood chips. They have also pruned the aging apple tree but I am not sure if they have done it right. 

Also they burned all the the tree and left just a pile of ashes instead of turning it into wood chips. 

Unfortunately one of the workers   had a seizure today and was taken to hospital and he is an important part of the family that now owns my little house. By the time that they finish the house it will be something that I will never be able to afford as they will be living in it when I depart.

But now I can tell you about the home that I will have when I get to England.

It is located in Essex, one of the so-called Home Counties that surround London.  It is a Grade 11 listed building on two and a half ares of land and almost surrounded by a moat that is four hundred years old,  has loads of ducks, moorhens and others, including in swan that so far has not got a mate and is very tame. The moat is bordered by many trees and has beautiful sunsets.

The listed building is a converted barn and the whole lot is surround by trees. My bother is keen on planting a garden and he has taken my advice about using wood chips as he tells me the ground is hard and full of dirt and stones and he had a job of planting the potatoes. He is not too well at the moment but he has finally tested negative for Covid and needs to recover a bit more before he can feel better. 

My niece's partner has already built several raised beds, compost places, planted 30 fruit trees and had a greenhouse built.  Also a pond to for his carp and koi fish.  There will also be stretches of wild flowers.  I think that is enough for now, but I know I will be able to have my own little patch.
Kelejan
Kelejan

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/29/2022, 4:26 am

KJ, Your new home sounds delightful! A Grade 11 listed building sounds especially interesting. When you get there, you must delegate your niece or someone to take photos to share with us. I love you

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/29/2022, 4:59 am

Kelejan wrote:. . . But Sanderson, I must resign from being responsible for the Canadian thread.
I hope you can run the European thread once you have settled in.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/29/2022, 9:03 am

sanderson wrote:KJ,  Your new home sounds delightful!  A Grade 11 listed building sounds especially interesting.  When you get there, you must delegate your niece or someone to take photos to share with us.  I love you

My niece is a very good photographer and loves taking pictures and I know she will cooperate with me.
Kelejan
Kelejan

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: