Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from Everett WA, transplant from Central FL Toplef10Hi from Everett WA, transplant from Central FL 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from Everett WA, transplant from Central FL I22gcj10Hi from Everett WA, transplant from Central FL 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from Everett WA, transplant from Central FL Toplef10Hi from Everett WA, transplant from Central FL 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from Everett WA, transplant from Central FL I22gcj10Hi from Everett WA, transplant from Central FL 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi from Everett WA, transplant from Central FL

5 posters

Go down

Hi from Everett WA, transplant from Central FL Empty Hi from Everett WA, transplant from Central FL

Post  Bickleyr 4/1/2018, 2:16 pm

Looking forward to learning much more on SFG methods with all the resources provided.

Most gardening done in Florida was pineapples and bananas......easy and successful. Tried once with some veggies ....I didn't get much enjoyment but the insects chowed down.

Now that I live in the PNW....this is my 4th year of growing things and the first effort with SFG.
Started with a few Tomatoes during the summer months.....increased to carrots and lettuces the next. Strawberries and Boysen Blackberries.....Raised garden added radishes, Spinach, Beans & peas.

Built new raised garden last year.....u-shaped , will work great for SFG as it is an easy 48 squares to work with and 12 of those squares are 12-14" deep.

Adding potatoes to the mix this year......I use bags for my tomatoes, so potatoes are going into a bag as well.

Now SFG 2nd edition book has enlightened me......made Mel's Mix for the first time.....what great soil to work with.

I do not plan on posting much, learning from others is what I do......if I have success this season I should start sharing the learning.

The only downfall of SFG......I filled that Big raised bed with a lot of soil the is not Mel's mix....if there are any options that do not involve removing 30 cubic feet of soil......much appreciated.

Done....where I'm from & experience growing things to eat.....I look forward to this new method adventure.
Bickleyr
Bickleyr

Male Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Hi from Everett WA, transplant from Central FL Empty Re: Hi from Everett WA, transplant from Central FL

Post  sanderson 4/1/2018, 2:46 pm

Bickley, Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here Don't be shy about posting photos, we love photos! I love you

Regarding the dirt in the box, you would only need to remove enough dirt to be able to top with 6" of Mel's Mix. From that point on, you will only be adding multi-source compost. If the dirt is weedy, you can put a layer of weed fabric, cardboard or news papers between the dirt and Mix.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. Remember, we all pick up ideas from each other and this group is a good support and resource.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Hi from Everett WA, transplant from Central FL Empty Re: Hi from Everett WA, transplant from Central FL

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/2/2018, 9:20 am

MMMMmmmmm..... Boysenberries..... My favorite!

Hi Bickleyr! Welcome from Atlanta, GA. Sorry... Usually I start with that. But you had me at boysenberry, lol!

Going from FL to PNW is quite a change. But I know you'll get lots of advice for your particular area.

I agree with Sanderson - I hope that you do more than lurk. We can always get advice from each other and all of our members are important! We want to hear from everyone.

There is also a lot of information available in the archives. Feel free to poke around & bring back older subjects. Looking through those posts will be a good refresher for the "older" gardeners & may give good info to the newer ones. :-)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 4/4/2018, 10:21 am

glad you\'re here Bickleyr!
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/4/2018, 12:13 pm

happy hi Bickleyr. We would love to see pics of your setup. I tried to garden in FL and PNW, too. Too much sand in FL and too many big trees in Oregon. Now I've found my "Goldilocks" setup in No Cal. (except for our brutal summers  Rolling Eyes ).
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum