Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Toplef10Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 I22gcj10Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Toplef10Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 I22gcj10Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California

+28
Luvslions
ispinwool
toledobend
mollyhespra
Yardslave
kygardener
SQWIB
No_Such_Reality
Roseinarosecity
BlackjackWidow
Kelejan
jimmy cee
Scorpio Rising
kamigh
CapeCoddess
Kate888
crankyoldman
PNG_Grandma
has55
camprn
liam1027
Turan
AtlantaMarie
farmersgranddaughter
yolos
countrynaturals
trolleydriver
sanderson
32 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Empty Re: Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California

Post  CapeCoddess 8/27/2018, 3:48 pm

Looks great, S!  Cukes love afternoon shade when it's hot out.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Empty Re: Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California

Post  sanderson 8/27/2018, 10:53 pm

I'm thinking that I should plant the Muncher cucumbers in this area of the BTE next year. The corn can go in the 2'x4' SFG bed. Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/28/2018, 5:49 pm

Looking good, s!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/4/2018, 3:08 pm

It's now Fall and I have been busy for a couple weeks cleaning the beds, amending with home made compost, and sowing seeds for the winter garden.  I never got around to starting the seeds in containers in early September. Embarassed  It was still too hot to try to keep them alive outdoors.  September 25, I started direct sowing broccoli, bok choy, kale, colorful Swiss chard and 3 kinds of peas.  The summer flower bed has been sowed with lettuce, radish, green onion and carrot seeds.  This time around, I will only have to cover 2 beds with bridal tulle.

Before sowing the seeds, there was a lot of clean-up and trellis netting repairs to be done.  Summer was a killer with the prolonged heat and smoky air.  Everything was, or still is, covered with sticky dust.  My annual week-long vacation starts Monday so everything has to be ready for me to be absent.

The garden as of this week:
SE corner.  The cotton is popping open, the sweet potato vines are shading the 2'x4'garlic bed, and there are a few tomato plants with green tomatoes left in the BTE stripSanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Garden20

South:  Right side foreground is the former flower bed, now sowed with salad stuff.  Right side middle is the long 2'x8' pepper and eggplant bed now sowed with brassicas.  These 2 beds will be covered with bridal tulle.Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Garden21

Looking toward SW.  The 3 foreground beds in a U-shape formation are the salad, brassica and herb beds.  The 4 beds in the surrounding spots are various peas. Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Garden22

SW corner. L-R, tumbler, orange tree, prolific New Zealand spinach, and cleaned-up cantaloupe bed with trellises. Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Garden23

West side yard.  Three resting beds with bedding straw and alfalfa hay protected with blue tarp.Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Garden24

East side yard.  BTE or amended dirt strip and cleaned bean beds with trellises removed for cleaning the whole area.  Washing windows and walls, pruning roses, weeding, repairing trellis netting that I always manage to cut in at least one spot! Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Garden26

A couple of clean-up photos:
Washing and drying some of the shade cloths. Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Fall_c10

Cleaning and repairing trellises. Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Fall_c11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/5/2018, 6:51 pm

S, where do you get all that energy? Send me some seeds, please. Wink
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/6/2018, 12:37 am

The weather has been so nice that I feel like a new person. We leave on Monday so I needed to get the seeds sowed which meant amending, repairing trellises, taking down and cleaning the shade clothes.. I've been so embarrassed with the way the back yard and patio looked this summer, what with the heat and smoke. Lots of washing!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  SQWIB 10/6/2018, 6:47 am

I am quite impressed with all that you got going on in that garden.
Have a great vacation!
SQWIB
SQWIB

Back to top Go down

Post  kygardener 10/9/2018, 5:49 pm

Thanks for sharing your garden pics.  They are an inspiration for this newbie.
kygardener

Female Posts : 55

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/11/2018, 5:52 pm

Lookin’ good, there, s!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 10/15/2018, 2:13 am

Sanderson, you're a real garden lady, washing and drying the shade cloth. That thought has never pass thru my mind.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/16/2018, 12:24 pm

Thanks, Has. Washing is really important because of the nasty air quality here.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/25/2018, 3:56 am

Ken put up new Christmas lights for me.  Plus there is a beautiful full moon tonight! I love you
Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Lights10
Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Lights12
Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Lights11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 10/25/2018, 12:22 pm

Looks great sanderson.  

You've got me thinking that I should put up some lights on my megatrellis and other trellises (trelli).  The first winter I did have lights on the only two trellises that I had at the time.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/25/2018, 4:09 pm

Thank you. I remember your colored (?) lights. I love lights, so cheerful.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/29/2018, 3:28 am

This thread has almost come full circle to where it started.  Maybe one more series of shots and this year-around garden will have been shown with all its good features and all its warts.  Each year since March 2013, I have expanded the number of beds and/or modified the features.  My favorite features are:  elevated beds, permanent but interchangeable multi-use PVC frames, the grids, micro-drip systems, and the weed fabric and wood chip walkways.  I've had to change from making compost in a 3'x3'x3' bin to an 80-gallon Lifetime tumbler, now using the bin for storing finished batches of compost.

View of SE corner.  Lots of green tomatoes that I don't think will blush before the frost.  The garlic bed hasn't had any "visitors" since I covered it with tulle.  The tall grass in the back ground is lemon grass. Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Garden54

Straight south.  The New Zealand spinach just keeps sprawling. Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Garden55

Shooting towards SSW.  Herb garden, winter greens, salads and 36 sq. ft. of peas this winter. Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Garden56

More SW.  Peas and tomato buckets and Inara. Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Garden57

Oranges are edible but not quite to their full luscious sweetness. Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Orange13

West side of mostly resting beds.  Those pumpkins are now in the compost tumbler along with the bags of Starbucks!  Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Garden58

Baby bok choy. Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Bok_ch10

Opening the bridal tulle with Inara. Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Sigrid10

Me. Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Sigrid11

Inara patrolling the backyard.  I'm so happy with the weed fabric and wood chip pathways during the rainy season. Ignore the dandelion! Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Inara_13

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/29/2018, 3:00 pm

Looks great sanderson.  Happy gardening and happy eating.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/29/2018, 3:44 pm

Wow!  This garden is fantastic!  And it was so much fun watching it change and grow over the years.  Thanks for sharing these great photos.

Inara is beautiful!  Is she new?
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 11/29/2018, 4:18 pm

What a great looking garden, quite a transformation, Sanderson, something to be proud of.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/29/2018, 4:42 pm

Thanks, folks. PS Inara is my 4-legged granddaughter, visiting for the holiday with my daughter.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 11/29/2018, 8:36 pm

Love your nice clean looking pathways.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/3/2018, 3:30 am

CapeCoddess wrote:Wow!  This garden is fantastic!  And it was so much fun watching it change and grow over the years.  Thanks for sharing these great photos.

Inara is beautiful!  Is she new?
CC

+1
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/3/2018, 3:33 am

what type of green plant is this to the Left of the bed? I see swish chard.

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Bok_ch10
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/3/2018, 3:39 pm

Ching Chang, a toy bok choy. Four per square.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/1/2019, 3:33 am

End of January and almost time to start the indoor seedlings.  We have had such a warmish sunny winter (=not much rain) that the bok choy has bolted to the delight of the bees.  Shortly after these photos, I completely uncovered the bok choy and Swiss chard and tucked the tulle to keep the other half of the bed covered.  I haven't seen a white butterfly for a month or two, and she doesn't seem to lay eggs on the chard.   Taken Jan 14. Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Bok_ch11
Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Bok_ch12

It'[s been so warm, in fact, that the oranges have to be picked now. Maybe it's also the variety, Washington Navel. Three or four oranges each morning in the juicer with lots of celery and lemon/lime.

This is the first winter I have grown lettuce.  It is so neat to have clean, fresh lettuce with counter-ripened romas and FB radishes.  Well, I can't seem to be able to find the photo of the salad but here is a dinner of poached wild caught cod with my winter peas and Swiss Chard and tarragon on the fish. My first year of shelling peas, Alaska and Strike. Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Harves15

The peas Dec 26.  Since then, they fell over and started back up so, on Jan 26, I topped them and new side shoots are already starting.  In a month (end of Feb) they will be removed in preparation for amending the beds. Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 5 Peas_b10

The 1'x50' strip of dirt that I use for extra growing room was amended with compost that got wet even though I thought I covered it well.  Ken said it was some nasty stuff (slightly septic) but I know it will in the end be good for the strip.  I pulled back the wood chips and replaced them after Ken was done.  That was one activity that I was healed enough to do.

I covered the tumbler with a blue tarp to keep the "finished" compost from getting wet.  I think rain gets in through the aerating breaker bar that is open to the outside.  I won't make another batch until March, but meanwhile I am freezing the kitchen scraps, making use of the baby upright freezer in the garage.  We have a front moving in and are expecting rain starting Friday night through Monday.  I always say I will believe it when I see it, but one can hope.

That's all for now.  Maybe one last post at the end of February, and I will have gone through a year's cycle on this thread.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 2/1/2019, 7:56 am

Fantastic sanderson.

I can't even imagine picking my own oranges and your SFG looks great.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next