Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Urban Farming-Growing Food At Home  Toplef10Urban Farming-Growing Food At Home  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Urban Farming-Growing Food At Home  I22gcj10Urban Farming-Growing Food At Home  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Urban Farming-Growing Food At Home  Toplef10Urban Farming-Growing Food At Home  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Urban Farming-Growing Food At Home  I22gcj10Urban Farming-Growing Food At Home  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Urban Farming-Growing Food At Home

+2
AtlantaMarie
JohnKelly
6 posters

Go down

Urban Farming-Growing Food At Home  Empty Urban Farming-Growing Food At Home

Post  JohnKelly 3/8/2018, 6:47 pm

This is outside the box of SFG but given that the article relates to Australia I thought I would wack in here,

Urban Farmers Growing Food At Home,

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-09/curious-melbourne-meet-melbournes-urban-farmers/9523832

Good to see and I reckon it's not just happening in Australia.
JohnKelly
JohnKelly

Male Posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Urban Farming-Growing Food At Home  Empty Re: Urban Farming-Growing Food At Home

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/9/2018, 8:02 am

Hi IrishDigger! How have you been?

Interesting article... I'm with Ms. Richards - If I can't eat it or use it for medicinals, I don't have it in the yard. (Except the darn grass...) Front hedges are blueberries, etc.

And I think the same is true here in the States as it is there - there's only a couple of days worth of food in the stores & folks are only about 9 meals away from anarchy. But I don't think I'll be stir-frying meal worms anytime soon, lol!

Thanks for sharing! And pop back in, will you?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Urban Farming-Growing Food At Home  Empty Re: Urban Farming-Growing Food At Home

Post  sanderson 3/9/2018, 4:27 pm

Hi Irish Digger happy hi

The article is appropriate for everyone. How many days worth of fresh and stored food do we have on hand is a question for every household.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/20/2018, 11:15 am

sanderson wrote:The article is appropriate for everyone.  How many days worth of fresh and stored food do we have on hand is a question for every household.

Urban Farming-Growing Food At Home  3170584802  This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

"We learn from our gardens to deal with the most urgent question of the time: How much is enough?"
~ Wendell Berry

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4468

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/20/2018, 1:51 pm

I find growing enough of a crop to put up one of the rewarding aspects of my efforts. Of course, I live in an area where I can grow year around so I can go crazy in summer growing tomatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, peppers, eggplants, etc. knowing that winter will be peas, kales, broccoli, etc.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/20/2018, 6:26 pm

sanderson wrote:I live in an area where I can grow year around so I can go crazy in summer growing tomatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, peppers, eggplants, etc. knowing that winter will be peas, kales, broccoli, etc.  

You are fortunate, Sanderson!  Here our growing season is from mid-April until mid-October. The rest of the year we depend on our canned and frozen vegetables.

That is one area I differ from the SFG recommendations on what to plant. We want to grow enough of most vegetables to not only provide fresh ones for the dinner table, but enough extra to can or freeze. So, instead of planting one or two squares of bush beans, I will plant an entire 4'x4' section with beans. Same for carrots, peppers, beets, and brussels sprouts. Of course, we always have an excess of squash & tomatoes without trying.  We have lived on our current estate for about 30 years, and we have never had to buy vegetables from the market in that entire time - they all came from our garden.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4468

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 11/21/2018, 3:46 pm

Great article.
I love the picture of Robyn Richard's squash. (See below.) I'm wondering if she can grow lettuce under that scaffold.
Urban Farming-Growing Food At Home  9527748-3x2-700x467

I grew lots this past summer; I canned some and gave away some. Now I am down to no dilly beans, one last chowchow relish, 3 quarts dented Oaxacan green corn, one pint tomatillo sauce, 3 gallon tomato sauce frozen, a gallon regular tomatoes frozen, and three winter squash.  I'm going to miss my canned items.

I actually garden because I think my vegetables are healthier for me and my family.  I give away my vegetables to extend my friendship with my neighbors.  I also garden to keep myself moving, although the canning did overuse my hand, but better to move than lose flexibility.

Living in Southern California and being a backyard 'farmer' is a blessing because I can continue gardening, but I don't think I could live off my garden without still depending on the grocer for additional items.  Maybe, I should be thinking in that direction.  With the E. coli threat we have now nationwide, I went out and planted lettuce, an item I rarely plant because it is so common in the markets.

Last edited by Roseinarosecity on 11/21/2018, 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected spelling)
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  Aylwen 3/24/2019, 2:57 am

I’m in Canberra and can’t store much so tend to eat whatever is in the garden. Heaps of tromboncino this year that will keep us going all winter.
Aylwen
Aylwen

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/24/2019, 8:08 am

Hi Aylwen! Welcome to our party from Atlanta, GA in the SE USA. We're glad you're here!

Sounds like you've got a good storage system for fresh items... Tell us about your garden?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/25/2019, 3:43 am

Hi Aylwen, Welcome from:welcome: California, U.S.! glad you\'re here

Please go to the Welcome Mat and Introduce yourself. Your hopes and dreams and any photos of your garden. We love photos.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down