Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here! Toplef10N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here! I22gcj10N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List!
by recoush Today at 9:08 pm

» weed plant that has caused some frustration around the yard
by recoush Today at 8:54 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals Today at 6:17 pm

» N&C Midwest: November/December 2019!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 5:32 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Today at 11:19 am

» Tomato Tuesday - 2018 & 2019
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Update on Marie's mom
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:38 am

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 12/10/2019, 9:27 pm

» What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget?
by markqz 12/10/2019, 9:20 pm

» Sanderson - On the Road
by sanderson 12/10/2019, 8:04 pm

» What I learned this year...
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2019, 6:29 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/10/2019, 10:32 am

» Serrano Peppers
by countrynaturals 12/9/2019, 11:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing October to December 2019
by Kelejan 12/9/2019, 7:02 am

» Homemade Christmas
by countrynaturals 12/9/2019, 12:22 am

» Grapefruit
by countrynaturals 12/8/2019, 6:25 pm

» Container Gardening
by countrynaturals 12/8/2019, 10:08 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 12/8/2019, 7:25 am

» Potato Seeds, not Seed Potatoes
by Dan in Ct 12/8/2019, 6:20 am

» Hydrogen Peroxide
by has55 12/8/2019, 3:50 am

» New England, December, 2019
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 5:07 pm

» Steam canning?
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 4:47 pm

» De Jours 18 Radish
by markqz 12/7/2019, 4:11 pm

» Gardening Life hack - fixing bucket handles
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 4:05 pm

» Is this the right place?
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 3:30 pm

» ROOKIE TOPIC XVII Seed Starting Dates
by countrynaturals 12/7/2019, 12:15 am

» TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer
by Scorpio Rising 12/6/2019, 8:37 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 12/6/2019, 1:23 pm

» Bee Balm
by countrynaturals 12/6/2019, 9:34 am

» Hi I’m new
by AtlantaMarie 12/6/2019, 6:47 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here!

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here! Empty N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 2/28/2018, 9:20 pm

Here we are, Midwesterners!  I saw crocuses up today!!!  And once I spot a red winged blackbird, it’s pea planting time.  

Weather is nice here, a. Bit warmish, I’d say.  I am starting parsley and stuff (see Skippy’s app) this weekend on my (cheapo repurposed actual human heating pad) and then under T8 fluorescents.  It has served me well, and it was/is cheap!!!!

So, according to the old wives tale,  see crocuses, say PEAS!!  Yay!  I love my sugar snaps. I trellis them.  Also, I will put in spinach seed direct.  Have not had luck starting spinach inside!  Instant bolt. 

More to come..whatcha all thinking?

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 2/28/2018, 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : stuff)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7217

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here! Empty Re: N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here!

Post  Kate888 on 3/1/2018, 10:05 am

One of my friends said she heard the sandhill cranes which meant things are warming up early this year.  

I've heard to plant peas on St. Paddy's day.  Most years the ground is still frozen then, so I plant as soon as I can after it thaws.  The forecast here is above freezing for the next 10 days so I'm wondering if I should just do it now. 

I also use human heating pads that because I already owned them and T8s for my seed starting.  It works for me.  I may have to buy an actual plant heating pad just because I often run out of heated space.
Kate888
Kate888

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here! Empty Re: N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/1/2018, 9:15 pm

@Kate888 wrote:One of my friends said she heard the sandhill cranes which meant things are warming up early this year.  

I've heard to plant peas on St. Paddy's day.  Most years the ground is still frozen then, so I plant as soon as I can after it thaws.  The forecast here is above freezing for the next 10 days so I'm wondering if I should just do it now. 

I also use human heating pads that because I already owned them and T8s for my seed starting.  It works for me.  I may have to buy an actual plant heating pad just because I often run out of heated space.
I run out of heated space too....hmmm.  

At this moment, my beds are “Islands in the Sea” of rainwater that has formed a small lake in my backyard...What a Face

I have heard that thing about St. Paddy’s Day and peas, too!  We are close, y’all!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here! Empty RE: N&C Midwest - March and Spring is Here!

Post  farmersgranddaughter on 3/2/2018, 9:59 pm

There were redwing blackbirds on the feeder today!  My garden beds aren't ready yet.  I spent some time today "lasagna gardening" (filling the lower 1/3 with layers of cardboard, newspaper, and peat moss).  I still have to fill with Mel's Mix, put mulch around the beds, and install fencing to keep our new German Wirehaired Pointer out of the garden.  So much to do before I can plant anything.  This is my first time to try posting a picture.  I'm a tech dinosaur so hope this works.

N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here! Garden12
farmersgranddaughter
farmersgranddaughter

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/2/2018, 10:05 pm

@farmersgranddaughter wrote:There were redwing blackbirds on the feeder today!  My garden beds aren't ready yet.  I spent some time today "lasagna gardening" (filling the lower 1/3 with layers of cardboard, newspaper, and peat moss).  I still have to fill with Mel's Mix, put mulch around the beds, and install fencing to keep our new German Wirehaired Pointer out of the garden.  So much to do before I can plant anything.  This is my first time to try posting a picture.  I'm a tech dinosaur so hope this works.

N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here! Garden12
Very nice, farmersgrandaughter!!!  You will be eating very well this summer!!!  My old original re-purposed window boxes I filled with leaves etc. from my perennial bed rake out....worked out really well!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 3/2/2018, 11:56 pm

@Kate888 wrote:One of my friends said she heard the sandhill cranes which meant things are warming up early this year.  

I've heard the St. Paddy's day thing, too. I know a couple who does it as a matter of ritual/habit - even if they have to use a drill to make holes in the MM for the peas! (Sometimes they have to re-sow, but they seem okay with that.)

The 10-day forecast didn't look good enough for me on St.Paddy's last year -- and there ended up bring a a low of 13*F on the 23rd.  So I started mine on the 27th last year (I'm not in the midwest - I'm in Pennsylvania, but I am in zone 5a/6b, so I lurk on this thread, too).

This article says you need above 28*F to germinate, and above 19*F for the seedlings to survive:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/frost-damage-pea-plants-54330.html

Looking at the Accuweather month forecast for Demotte (which is admittedly long range, and thus not particularly reliable), it looks like you've got a good chance of succeeding with early peas. I say go for it, especially if you've got enough extras for some replacements.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1439

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate888 on 3/3/2018, 9:42 am

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:The 10-day forecast didn't look good enough for me on St.Paddy's last year -- and there ended up bring a a low of 13*F on the 23rd.  So I started mine on the 27th last year (I'm not in the midwest - I'm in Pennsylvania, but I am in zone 5a/6b, so I lurk on this thread, too).

This article says you need above 28*F to germinate, and above 19*F for the seedlings to survive:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/frost-damage-pea-plants-54330.html

Looking at the Accuweather month forecast for Demotte (which is admittedly long range, and thus not particularly reliable), it looks like you've got a good chance of succeeding with early peas. I say go for it, especially if you've got enough extras for some replacements.

I hope the monthly forecast is right, 'cause it looks good.  I think one year that it got quite cold after the peas had sprouted I just laid a blanket over them and they were good.  Think maybe I'll go for it.
Kate888
Kate888

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/3/2018, 8:18 pm

You guys!!!!  I love youI love youI love youI love you
OK , yes I love that y’all lurk on the Midwest threads...

I completed my plans today for the beds and the additional south Annex (large containers)

Got everything in without building another box.  Glad but want more lol

Planning a new box for fall, may not deal with it this season...excited about VEGGIES!!!

And strawberries.  I tried these in a Rodale traditional bed about 15 years ago, utter fail.  The weeds and grass invaded the spot off the bat.  It was a waste of money and hope.  Fast forward, full on 3x7 dedicated. Can’t wait...
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 3/4/2018, 3:17 am

FGG, Nice looking beds! N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here! 3170584802 I'm glad you are covering the isles around the boxes. It will pay off.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 18492

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here! Empty Re: N&C Midwest - March and Spring is Here!

Post  farmersgranddaughter on 3/4/2018, 10:46 am

Thanks, sanderson!  And thank you for posting great "how-to" instructions for posting pictures.  I saw the photos of your garden and they look awesome!  I'm debating on whether to use cedar or cypress mulch for the paths and welcome suggestions.
farmersgranddaughter
farmersgranddaughter

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 3/4/2018, 11:32 am

Which ever one is cheaper. Very Happy I use plain pine/fir chips.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 18492

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/4/2018, 5:30 pm

Whew!

Just got lettuces, parsley, cilantro, kale—I know—I am trying again...., Chard, and pepper seeds on the pad.!  HOPE!  Lights work. Check!  We are a go!  N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here! 3170584802
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/6/2018, 8:24 pm

OK, so I have a tip from a long long time gardener that Spring is coming early here, Midwesterners.  

Buzzards are here, crocuses are up, and I saw a red-winged blackbird!

Peas, in this weekend...and other stuff!  Will keep you posted...
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here! Empty N&C Midwest --March and Spring is Here!

Post  farmersgranddaughter on 3/6/2018, 11:24 pm

Pepper seedlings are growing true leaves and I plan on starting some tomato seeds this weekend.  The library received a donation of 100 seed packets for our Seed Swap.  As I spread the packets out on a table for a Facebook photo, I saw a package of Mortgage Lifter Tomatoes.  I've heard of them but have never tried growing them.  Oh, and purple carrots!  I feel like a child at Christmas.  I can't wait to take my surplus seeds to exchange!  If I'm not careful, though, I may have to build more vegetable garden beds.   bounce
farmersgranddaughter
farmersgranddaughter

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 3/7/2018, 8:23 am

@farmersgranddaughter wrote:Pepper seedlings are growing true leaves and I plan on starting some tomato seeds this weekend.  The library received a donation of 100 seed packets for our Seed Swap.  As I spread the packets out on a table for a Facebook photo, I saw a package of Mortgage Lifter Tomatoes.  I've heard of them but have never tried growing them.  Oh, and purple carrots!  I feel like a child at Christmas.  I can't wait to take my surplus seeds to exchange!  If I'm not careful, though, I may have to build more vegetable garden beds.   bounce

Gee, FGD... No one HERE would encourage you to build more beds........ (heh, heh, heh - insert devil's horn emoticon here)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5194

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here! Empty N&C Midwest--March and Spring is Here!

Post  farmersgranddaughter on 3/7/2018, 8:29 am

AtlantaMarie, I'm sure I would find encouragement to build more beds here.  From the hubby?  Not so much. He already thinks that three beds are too many for just the two of us. Laughing
farmersgranddaughter
farmersgranddaughter

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/7/2018, 6:32 pm

I think I will need more SF in the form of a 3x7 or 3x8, but I think I can fit everything in my existing boxes and containers as they stand.  I will have to see how things produce, I suppose!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 3/8/2018, 8:36 am

@farmersgranddaughter wrote:AtlantaMarie, I'm sure I would find encouragement to build more beds here.  From the hubby?  Not so much. He already thinks that three beds are too many for just the two of us. Laughing

LOL! It's just the 2 of us too. Hubby was kind enough to build enough beds for 186 squares. And we have room for another 3 beds of 4x10 (I think...) AND we're in the process of building a greenhouse (for the last 2 seasons! - Wind, weather, hubby being down sick have prevented us from finishing it yet. I'm really hopeful for this spring!!) that will have a 2x12 bed.

And that's not enough for what I'd like to do. (Yes, there's more to that. PM me if you're interested in hearing me ramble on. Or I've got links to our website in my personal info area.) I'd love to turn our entire 1/2 acre into SFG beds!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5194

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/8/2018, 10:01 pm

@AtlantaMarie wrote:
@farmersgranddaughter wrote:AtlantaMarie, I'm sure I would find encouragement to build more beds here.  From the hubby?  Not so much. He already thinks that three beds are too many for just the two of us. Laughing

LOL!  It's just the 2 of us too.  Hubby was kind enough to build enough beds for 186 squares.  And we have room for another 3 beds of 4x10 (I think...)  AND we're in the process of building a greenhouse (for the last 2 seasons! - Wind, weather, hubby being down sick have prevented us from finishing it yet.  I'm really hopeful for this spring!!) that will have a 2x12 bed.  

And that's not enough for what I'd like to do.  (Yes, there's more to that.  PM me if you're interested in hearing me ramble on.  Or I've got links to our website in my personal info area.)  I'd love to turn our entire 1/2 acre into SFG beds!
Yeah, it does become a bit of an obsession, doesn’t it?  

I am planning to get my yard more back to native plantings.  Want to support the ecology that is around us all.  

But also want more SFG!!!  I like a 3 foot depth, but if someone gave me a free 4x4, flower
It’s just easier to get into .
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/11/2018, 3:48 pm

Oh, lol, I mean 3 ft. Width!  Not happening anytime soon...

Sunny and cold here, I checked on seeds sown in the basement, most are up, some haven’t germinated.  I am confused by my own labeling (how does that happen—it made complete sense at the time!)

Anyways!  I am thinking next weekend could be pea time, and maybe radishes, spinaches.  Supposed to greaduslly warm here.

Right now, enjoying the cold sunshine☀
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here! Empty Re: N&C Midwest--March and Spring is Here!

Post  farmersgranddaughter on 3/11/2018, 11:37 pm

I started tomato and marigold seeds today.  Next week I plan to plant peas, radishes, and greens.  I think the peppers will be ready to transplant into bigger containers in a couple of weeks. 

It was sunny and warm here this past week but then we were hit with a cold weekend.  It's supposed to warm up again in a few days.  I just don't know what to expect from the weather.   thinking
farmersgranddaughter
farmersgranddaughter

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/12/2018, 10:00 pm

I get it..Spring can really screw you!  It did me last year.  Honestly, I just decided to wait it out.

Indoors stuff, no biggee.  I can pot that stuff up.  But i do get annoyed by it’s demands.  Hey
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/12/2018, 10:01 pm

@farmersgranddaughter wrote:I started tomato and marigold seeds today.  Next week I plan to plant peas, radishes, and greens.  I think the peppers will be ready to transplant into bigger containers in a couple of weeks. 

It was sunny and warm here this past week but then we were hit with a cold weekend.  It's supposed to warm up again in a few days.  I just don't know what to expect from the weather.   thinking
Yep! We got your weather!  LOL!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/15/2018, 9:36 pm

FarmersGD, last year at this time, I had actually set out like 3 squares of spinach starts from inside.  They had been in a week, when we got hit with 2 solid weeks of nighttime temps in the low 20s.  I scrambled and made improvised cloches of 20 oz bottles with the bottoms cut out...put each over a mini plant. No lid. 

Long story short (??????). The cloches literally cookie cutter lifted each plant straight up out of the MM!!!!!cyclops  

Shoved them back down.  It was an instant BOLT.  They were so stressed.  I think, again no idea. 

I am direct seeding spinach this year for the first time.  I have hope!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest—March and Spring is Here! Empty Re: N&C Midwest--March and Spring is Here!

Post  farmersgranddaughter on 3/15/2018, 10:12 pm

Oh no, Scorpio!  To lose all those plants!  Ouch!  

The cherry tomato seeds I planted indoors Sunday afternoon have sprouted as have some of the Romas.  Still waiting on the Better Boys.  

MM is in two planters.  Have one more to fill.  Temps are supposed to drop again next week.  We started installing fencing today around the garden area.  Hopefully it will keep the deer, rabbits, and our dog out of the garden.

It sounds like we're on the same planting schedule.  What zone are you in?  My sister-in-law lives (and gardens) in Toledo, OH.  She always has a nice garden... and loads of raspberries.
farmersgranddaughter
farmersgranddaughter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum