Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi Everyone Toplef10Hi Everyone 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi Everyone I22gcj10Hi Everyone 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi Everyone Toplef10Hi Everyone 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi Everyone I22gcj10Hi Everyone 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi Everyone

+5
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
sanderson
Scorpio Rising
skidmoca
9 posters

Go down

Hi Everyone Empty Hi Everyone

Post  skidmoca 2/22/2018, 9:07 pm

This will be my first year trying SFG.  We finally cleared up the side area of the yard and I have a sunny area to play in.  Looking for any advice you have.  I will try to start small!  I'm located in southern Ontario near Toronto.

skidmoca
skidmoca
skidmoca

Female Posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Hi Everyone Empty Re: Hi Everyone

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/22/2018, 10:35 pm

skidmoca wrote:This will be my first year trying SFG.  We finally cleared up the side area of the yard and I have a sunny area to play in.  Looking for any advice you have.  I will try to start small!  I'm located in southern Ontario near Toronto.

skidmoca
Welcome, scidmoca!  How fun is this??!!!  Have you read Mel Bartholomew’s All New Square Foot Gardening??  

What are your plans?  What do you like to eat?  Ever gardened before?  

Can’t wait to hear!  Lots of great guidance from your Canadian neighbors on here as well!glad you\'re here
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/22/2018, 11:09 pm

Skidmoca, Welcome to the Forum from Central California! glad you\'re here Your Canadian host will be by soon to welcome you.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/f21-canada

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Hi Everyone Empty Thanks Scorpio Rising

Post  skidmoca 2/23/2018, 12:12 am

I'm planning to plant green beans, broccoli and lima beans so that I can hopefully freeze them.  I'm not a big lima bean fan, but I miss them in Campbell's vegetable soup!  Also red peppers, jalepenos, peas, lettuce and tomatoes.  I 've only kind of dabbled at veggies before and didn't think lettuce would be easy but I planted some last year and it was great!  So nice to be able to go out and pick fresh lettuce.  I'm also going to try starting some of the plants indoors.  It will be really nice to be able to learn from and share with others.

Smile
skidmoca
skidmoca

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/23/2018, 4:19 am

Hi Skidmoca. Welcome from Atlanta, GA! Glad you found us!

Sounds like a good plan so far... And I agree about being able to pick your own lettuce as you need it, lol.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 2/23/2018, 7:24 pm

Hi Skidmoca and welcome from your neighbour (4 hours drive away) in Ottawa. Lots of great people on this forum. Questions are welcomed and we love to see photos 

:canada:
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 2/23/2018, 10:23 pm

Welcome from a fellow lettuce fan!
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/24/2018, 8:29 am

skidmoca wrote:This will be my first year trying SFG.  We finally cleared up the side area of the yard and I have a sunny area to play in.  Looking for any advice you have.  I will try to start small!  I'm located in southern Ontario near Toronto.

skidmoca
glad you\'re here skidmoca happy hi
from Kelejan in British Columbia :canada: your host from Canadian Region.
I think you are very wise to start small especially as a new SFG starter.  Lucky you to have a sunny area to play in.  I started small with two 4 x 4 and I was thrilled to be able to keep myself in salads tht first year.  Look forward to seeing your progress.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/24/2018, 9:33 am

Sidmoca, come and see us on the Canadian Region thread where I have posted another welcome for you.
BIG hug
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/24/2018, 12:30 pm

Just checked my local weather forecast for the next seven days.  Everyday has three snow flakes on it.  It is going to be messy as each day the temp is above freezing and the night temps are below. Sad By then we will be in March.  I hope it is not going to be like 1987 when we still had snow on the ground in April and I had no idea what lay beneath that covering of snow. (I did have a typo of 1887 but I am not really as old as that.)

Now to go out and clear my pathway to the road; again.  At least it gives me some exercise. Very Happy  This when I am happy not to have a car to clear and the driveway it takes up.  Right now I have a nice SV parked there which my neighbours are hoping to sell.  They have a small house within parking only on the road where they park their two cars.  I have a small house with parking for four cars.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  farmersgranddaughter 2/24/2018, 12:58 pm

Welcome!  I'm so glad that you have a sunny area for your square foot garden beds.  My first attempts were challenging because we lived in a forested area.  We recently moved and are now surrounded by pasture, so there's plenty of sunshine.

Is your growing season short?  Are you starting seeds indoors or purchasing transplants?  This year I started seeds using a heat mat with a thermostat (VIVOSUN brand purchased on Amazon.com) and all of my pepper seeds germinated in a week's time.  I used seed starting trays with lids (KORAM also purchased on Amazon) which act as miniature green houses.  I've also seen where people use salad or rotisserie chicken containers from the grocery store in which to start seeds.  There are a lot of YouTube videos on seed starting.  Someday I would like to have a greenhouse outdoors but for now I'm starting seeds on a shelving unit in a bay window.  I too am starting small.

Best wishes!
farmersgranddaughter
farmersgranddaughter

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/24/2018, 11:04 pm

skidmoca wrote:I'm planning to plant green beans, broccoli and lima beans so that I can hopefully freeze them.  I'm not a big lima bean fan, but I miss them in Campbell's vegetable soup!  Also red peppers, jalepenos, peas, lettuce and tomatoes.  I 've only kind of dabbled at veggies before and didn't think lettuce would be easy but I planted some last year and it was great!  So nice to be able to go out and pick fresh lettuce.  I'm also going to try starting some of the plants indoors.  It will be really nice to be able to learn from and share with others.

Smile
Oh kid, you got it goin on!

Beetles and I love lettuces...they are the bomb!  You thinking bush or pole beans?  Do you have a bed built?  Peas will be your first planting...then lettuces.  

I have never grown broccoli but many here have.  As a resource, in the upper left hand corner is a SEARCH box.  So much advice and experience on this site...can’t wait to hear about your adventure!  Kelejan and TD (Trolley Driver) are great mentors...
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 2/25/2018, 1:53 am

happy hi  from Redding, CA, Skidmoca. Looking forward to your posts.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Hi Everyone Empty reply to farmersgranddaughtr

Post  skidmoca 3/6/2018, 6:41 pm

farmersgranddaughter wrote:Welcome!  I'm so glad that you have a sunny area for your square foot garden beds.  My first attempts were challenging because we lived in a forested area.  We recently moved and are now surrounded by pasture, so there's plenty of sunshine.

Is your growing season short?  Are you starting seeds indoors or purchasing transplants?  This year I started seeds using a heat mat with a thermostat (VIVOSUN brand purchased on Amazon.com) and all of my pepper seeds germinated in a week's time.  I used seed starting trays with lids (KORAM also purchased on Amazon) which act as miniature green houses.  I've also seen where people use salad or rotisserie chicken containers from the grocery store in which to start seeds.  There are a lot of YouTube videos on seed starting.  Someday I would like to have a greenhouse outdoors but for now I'm starting seeds on a shelving unit in a bay window.  I too am starting small.

Best wishes!
Hi!  Yes, our growing season can be short.  I start peas in early May but have learned I should start them in April.  If things last until mid October, that's a good year!  I think if I got ambitious I could grow a second crop of peas and lettuce, planting in mid August.  Another year!
I started seeds today!  Broccoli, red peppers and some flowers.  I got a heat mat and a grow light that will cover about 36 peat moss pellets, but I don't plan to use them all.  I got the tray and cover for Xmas.  I'm supposed to start other seeds like canteloupe in April.  I've saved some egg cartons to transplant seedlings, but I'm not sure they are deep enough.

Good luck to both of us!
Carol
skidmoca
skidmoca

Back to top Go down

Hi Everyone Empty Hi Everyone

Post  skidmoca 3/6/2018, 6:43 pm

countrynaturals wrote:happy hi  from Redding, CA, Skidmoca. Looking forward to your posts.
Hi Suz, looking forward to seeing how everyone does this year!
skidmoca
skidmoca

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/8/2018, 10:21 pm

Short here too, but you will be fine!   Sounds like your timetable is on track.  Hi Everyone 3170584802
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum