Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can I compost store bought tomato sauce Toplef10Can I compost store bought tomato sauce 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can I compost store bought tomato sauce I22gcj10Can I compost store bought tomato sauce 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can I compost store bought tomato sauce Toplef10Can I compost store bought tomato sauce 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can I compost store bought tomato sauce I22gcj10Can I compost store bought tomato sauce 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peat Pots and Peat Pellets
by GreenScienx_Sug Today at 5:50 am

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Can I compost store bought tomato sauce

5 posters

Go down

Can I compost store bought tomato sauce Empty Can I compost store bought tomato sauce

Post  No_Such_Reality 10/9/2017, 10:21 am

Oi did some simple searching and didn't see an answer and get mixed info off the internet.  Pretty simple question, can I dump a jar of unused spaghetti sauce into my cold compost heap?

I've seen stuff saying no acidic stuff, I wouldn't think twice about throwing tomatoes or anything else that goes into sauce into the heap so don't think pouring a jar in should matter.  I'm kind of thinking it's like citrus, not too much and you're okay.  

I have a bin that is basically full and ready to just sit a while and starting a new one so I don't want to pour it in the new one, and at the same time not sure if I want to top off the old one with the sauce.  Basically I have about a quart from two jars we left in the fridge instead of freezing like we normally do.

On a second item, I have bone broth in my freezer that I need to throw out, it was made with good pasture chicken bones but unfortunately are it and started the big sick cycle right after.  One of those psychological 'it's contaminated' things where I figure I was doing all the handling to package and freeze when I was probably very contagious.

Since I was sick I don't want to put it in the compost bin but if I wasn't and I had dispose of some for some reason, can bone broth go in the compost?
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Can I compost store bought tomato sauce Empty Re: Can I compost store bought tomato sauce

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 10/9/2017, 11:53 am

I'd say yes on the tomato sauce, but try to mix it with something to help soak up the moisture. My understanding about the warning about acidic foods in compost is that it's more about the worms' preferences than the bacteria/fungi.

I don't know about the bone broth. It seems plain gelatin is ok: http://www.knoxgelatine.com/gelatine.htm
But the other proteins and fats might stink as they rot...
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Can I compost store bought tomato sauce Empty Re: Can I compost store bought tomato sauce

Post  Kelejan 10/9/2017, 4:50 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:I'd say yes on the tomato sauce, but try to mix it with something to help soak up the moisture. My understanding about the warning about acidic foods in compost is that it's more about the worms' preferences than the bacteria/fungi.

I don't know about the bone broth. It seems plain gelatin is ok: http://www.knoxgelatine.com/gelatine.htm
But the other proteins and fats might stink as they rot...

I agree with the tomato sauce being OK, and as animals die in the wild and they consist of bones and fat and eventually they return to the earth and are absorbed. then I think that will be alright as well.  Just make sure they are well buried in the compost pile.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/11/2017, 4:48 pm

Yes compost it , dilute it in a bucket of just over hand hot eater then popur it over the compost , so it's not in a big dollop that will attract vermin before it rots down
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/11/2017, 9:52 pm

Not sure about animal material....I don’t.

I would definitely do the tomato sauce.  I dont worry about the pH.  They figure it out.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 10/11/2017, 10:50 pm

Dumped it in undiluted later tha day.  Dump another bowl of kitchen scraps in today.  It's already all blended in, no muss, no fuss, and just the normal circle of life in the bin
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down