Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 Toplef10Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 I22gcj10Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 Toplef10Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 I22gcj10Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?

+6
walshevak
plantoid
BeetlesPerSqFt
CapeCoddess
sanderson
trolleydriver
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?

Post  brianj555 10/28/2017, 7:59 pm

Ok sanderson wrote:Lower the fluorescent light to near top of plants, raising as they grow.  It looks like they are a little leggy?? Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 Seedli12
Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 Seedli13
I will and oh yes,  they are very leggy. They were growing without much light on a south facing windowsill for about 4 days.   I will drop it down.  Thanks. Have a timer on it for 16 hours each day.
Basically it’s all a test.  I have green onion, carrots, and yellow onion in the bigger seed starter, the little plants you see are mustard greens, then there is also that Cherokee purple I started (above) in the Kurig pod.  I realize all of those that are going out to the winter Garden should be direct sowed. I just wanted to try.
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?

Post  sanderson 10/28/2017, 9:01 pm

The winter garden can be direct sowed or started in seeding containers.  Sowed Sept 24, photo on Oct 1. Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 Seedli14

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 11/30/2017, 8:01 pm

I figured I would give you guys an update on the sowing experiment plants that were germinated in the Kurig cup.  They are 47 days from germination.  The much smaller one is the one I cut out and rooted in water.  
Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 D94a4a10
Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 A7d76810
Is a foot tall smaller , bigger or about normal for 7 weeks old?
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/30/2017, 9:27 pm

Very cool experiment Brian!  How long will the fluorescent lighting be good enough?  Will you need to switch to LED's or other "real" grow lights?  I would love it if fluorescent would be good enough for everything in my winter indoor garden, but alas, I fear it won't.  Hope I'm wrong though!

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what is "starter mix"?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/30/2017, 9:40 pm

Hey Saganco!  Starter mix is a super fluffy lightweight mix made to hold moisture at the right rate for seed germination, and that’s it.  After that, you need posting soil mix or MM.  Sometimes, I will pu 2/3 potting mix in the bottom of a container and then top with starter mix and there I sow the seed.  As the root grows down, it gets some goodies!

Brian—WOW!  Looking good!  You gonna stick with the lights? Or try to get a window situation happening?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 12/1/2017, 9:14 am

saganco wrote:Very cool experiment Brian!  How long will the fluorescent lighting be good enough?  Will you need to switch to LED's or other "real" grow lights?  I would love it if fluorescent would be good enough for everything in my winter indoor garden, but alas, I fear it won't.  Hope I'm wrong though!

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what is "starter mix"?

This is the bulbs and fixture I use.  The bulbs are fluorescent, but they do say they are for growing indoor plants.  I'm not really sure how well they will do as the plants get larger, but they are proving to be good for starters. 
Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 Bulb10
Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 Light_10
Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 202994372
The whole set up was only $35.  I figured at that price, it was worth a shot and it seems to be working well enough to suit my needs.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 12/1/2017, 9:22 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:Hey Saganco!  Starter mix is a super fluffy lightweight mix made to hold moisture at the right rate for seed germination, and that’s it.  After that, you need posting soil mix or MM.  Sometimes, I will pu 2/3 potting mix in the bottom of a container and then top with starter mix and there I sow the seed.  As the root grows down, it gets some goodies!

Brian—WOW!  Looking good!  You gonna stick with the lights? Or try to get a window situation happening?

It's funny you mention that scorpio.  I'm at a point with that plant right now, that I don't really know what to do.  I have considered leaving it under the grow lights for at least a little while longer, but I feel like I'm going to have to start doing something different.  I do have a large south facing window, but it just doesn't seem like that's enough light.  I don't really know though.
I could also start setting it outside some.  I was thinking about re-purposing the wheels and handles from an old radio flyer wagon where I can wheel the plants in and out of the garage.  On day's I can't do that due to weather or at night, I can still use the lights, but soon, I will need the lights for the spring starts . (which will be the priority)  
Do any of you guy's have an thoughts or suggestions.  This is the first plant I have ever started from seed, so it does have some sentimental value.  Wink
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/1/2017, 3:59 pm

Brian,  I think "letting go" is the hardest thing about gardening, especially when one has started a plant from seed.  Sad

T8 fluorescent lights are commonly used for indoor starts.  I have no experience with indoor gardens except my plants seemed to burn if too close to the windows.  I use Dec, Jan and Feb as a rest time from the garden.  All I have to do is occasionally water if it doesn't rain for a while, and trim leaves off the kale, chard, lettuce, bok choy, etc.  Come mid winter I am overwhelmed with greens to process. Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 Harves11
Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 Harves10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 12/1/2017, 5:23 pm

sanderson wrote:Brian,  I think "letting go" is the hardest thing about gardening, especially when one has started a plant from seed.  Sad

T8 fluorescent lights are commonly used for indoor starts.  I have no experience with indoor gardens except my plants seemed to burn if too close to the windows.  I use Dec, Jan and Feb as a rest time from the garden.  All I have to do is occasionally water if it doesn't rain for a while, and trim leaves off the kale, chard, lettuce, bok choy, etc.  Come mid winter I am overwhelmed with greens to process. Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 Harves11
Impressive greens
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/1/2017, 5:32 pm

Thanks

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/1/2017, 8:10 pm

Wow!  Gorgeous greens, sanderson.  
Makes me pine for spring!

Brian, if you have a south facing window, I think you will be surprised!  The sun is much more complete than anything we can come up with.  Give it a try!  You can always move the lights up and supplement if need be, right?  But sun is best!sunny
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 12/3/2017, 3:49 pm

Ok.  So I made the transport vehicle for the two Kurig pod Cherokee purples.  I used re-purposed (#sanderson - as I know she loves that ) wheels, axels and handle from a very old radio flyer wagon after pricing casters alone at Home Depot for about $35.  
Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 Ae9a0910
Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 861ae710
Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 186b6e10
Then I made some new MM up using 33% vermiculite, 33% peat and 33% compost (mushroom, chicken, black cow and cotton burr) up-potted into 7 gallon containers with some bamboo stakes.  Now they can be wheeled in and out of the garage, into sun and under lights when needed. 
Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 140e5610
Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 6cc50310
Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 8f95a810
 As Sanderson said previously, letting go of plants you started from seed is hard, so I’m going to try to keep these alive over winter.   Will keep you posted.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/4/2017, 6:29 am

Great set-up!!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 12/4/2017, 1:14 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Great set-up!!
+1!
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/4/2017, 1:51 pm

+2 (re-purposed Very Happy )

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/5/2017, 5:07 pm

sanderson wrote:Brian,  I think "letting go" is the hardest thing about gardening, especially when one has started a plant from seed.  Sad

Holy cow!!!
love the idea drooling hungry
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 2/21/2018, 7:33 am

Update on the plant started in the keurig pod.
Sowing Experiment!  Anyone Tried This? - Page 2 777eb010
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 2/21/2018, 1:24 pm

Jolly, I just went back and read your previous posts in this thread.  How is that wagon working out.  Are you using it to roll your tomatoes in and out.  Except I guess it has been so warm lately that you have not really had to worry about a freeze.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 2/21/2018, 4:21 pm

yolos wrote:Jolly, I just went back and read your previous posts in this thread.  How is that wagon working out.  Are you using it to roll your tomatoes in and out.  Except I guess it has been so warm lately that you have not really had to worry about a freeze.

Correct. They haven't needed to go in for a couple weeks. I actually stopped using the cart because it was taking up a lot of space in my garage. I need to make a smaller one.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/21/2018, 8:49 pm

Wow, the plant is huge!!!  Success!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum