Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Toplef10Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  I22gcj10Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Toplef10Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  I22gcj10Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:12 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California

+2
trolleydriver
sanderson
6 posters

Go down

Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Empty Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California

Post  sanderson 9/13/2017, 5:13 am

Day 1, Thursday 9/7 - Fort Bragg
Leaving Santa Rosa, we drove north on 101, cutting over to the coastal highway 1 at Willits.  Winding roads all the way west to the coast line.  This is our first close up of the Northern Pacific Ocean.  Cool and Misty, blessed relief.  Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Day_1_10
Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Day_1_11

Further north on Highway 1 to Leggett, where it joins back with Highway 101.  I was trying to show how foggy it was. Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Day_1_12

Going to see the tree.  Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Day_1_13

This is pretty common in CA when a tree is cut down, to carve something out of the remaining stump.  I thought of Mrs. TD's little garden with these little guys.  Being redwood, they will last for years. Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Day_1_15

Two views of full size carvings. Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Day_1_16

Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Day_1_14

Old, old tree that is still alive. Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Day_1_19

Ken driving through the cut-out. Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Day_1_18

Ken standing in front of the vehicle that came through right after us.  Can you imagine the poor male driver with 3 women standing in front of the car waving hands, telling him to go left, go right, go straight? Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Day_1_20

Ken and I.  It's nice when you find a couple who will reciprocate taking photos of each other.  Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Day_1_17

After Leggett, we drove straight up 101 to Eureka.  I mean, winding roads can take a toll on both driver and passenger.  

Refreshed after a sound night's sleep, we headed north, with the goal of seeing elk and the Oregon border.

Day 2. Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Klamat10

Nice rest area with information.  It's hard to capture the primeval feeling of just stepping into this walkway into the forest.  Spongy under footing of centuries of organic material.  When a tree is cut, lateral trees will grow up from the stumps, having the advantage of the mother tree's roots for nourishment. Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Jededi10

Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Jededi12

Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Jededi11

Roosevelt Elk resting during the day.  Funny how they know they are safe there.  See the bull's antlers?  In the evening when we drove by, they were in the meadow eating.  Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Day_1_21

Klamath River where it empties into the Pacific Ocean.  Okay, so it was a little foggy.  A man told us he was waiting for the fog to lift to watch the pod (?) of sea lions that came and decided to stay.   Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Day_2_10

Oregon.  We weren't paying attention and accidentally crossed into Oregon.  We made a u-turn and saw this marijuana shop at the border right before the road enters back into CA.  Last chance for your recreational blunts, dabs, etc. Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Dayy_210

Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Dayy_211

The hippy van on the left that is coming into view?  It stopped ahead next to the other vehicle.  I guess he had to finish what he was smoking or hide his stash.  Razz  Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Dayy_212

Back in Crescent City in early evening, I had to snap of few photos of these old buildings with their beautiful architecture.  The first one was built in 1850. Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Day_2_11

Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Day_2_12

Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Day_2_13

Day 3.  Driving back home and back to the east (valley side) of the coastal mountains. We were going to take highway 299 across the mountains over to Redding and then south on I-5 to Sacramento and then 99 south to Fresno.  Well, it was really inconvenient of the wild fire that it had to burn that week, so we took highway 36 over to I-5 at Red Bluff.  Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Day_3_10

Prior burn site.  The only thing growing at this time were low grasses and weeds, on which little pollinators were buzzing about.  Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Day_3_11

Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Day_3_12

We drove 1,000 miles in 3 days starting from Santa Rosa (Heirloom Exposition) and that was just the northern part of CA with about 180 miles into the mid part of CA .  There are long day, medium day and short day zones within this one State.  Sandy surf-bunny southern beaches, craggy foggy northern beaches, Death Valley and deserts, snowy high Sierra Mountains, fertile ag valleys and 2 famous, crazy towns known as San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Empty Re: Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California

Post  trolleydriver 9/13/2017, 9:07 am

Great photos sanderson.  Looks like you had a wonderful time. 

Wow that is a tight fit to get a vehicle through that tree.

I'll have to try to find time to head over to the virtual airport to fire up the virtual plane for a virtual flight over the route you took.  Is it OK if I add the virtual flyover to this thread?

Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  Empty Re: Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California

Post  countrynaturals 9/13/2017, 9:19 am

Thanks for refreshing my memory, S. We made that trip the first time we retired, 20 years ago, in a motorhome. It was amazing. Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  3170584802 (We didn't try to drive the motorhome through the tree, however. Razz )
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/13/2017, 1:45 pm

Nice tour, Sanderson.  That stump garden is amazing!  Is each carved grouping of animals all from one stump or is each animal one stump?  

Looks like your car is a wee bit close to that tree tunnel on the drivers side.

Um... blunts and dabs?  I don't know what that means.  Embarassed  Must have been CA lingo.  Or it is current?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/13/2017, 2:25 pm

I enjoyed your tour, sanderson.  I recognize some of the names when we drove down to L.A./Pasadena in the 1980s.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/13/2017, 2:48 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Is it OK if I add the virtual flyover to this thread? Very Happy
Sounds good to me Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/13/2017, 3:15 pm

CC, for your perusing enjoyment. I guessed the meanings and I was wrong. The culture has really expanded since the 60's. https://farmerslabseeds.com/words/ I really didn't pay attention to how they were carved. The small critters were probably carved from one stump. The larger critters maybe from a big stump with a couple of daughter stumps??

CN, Motorhome!

KJ, Thank you

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 9/13/2017, 7:42 pm

Virtual Road Trip of Pacific Coast Northern California  3170584802
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum