Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+18
farmersgranddaughter
BlackjackWidow
Scorpio Rising
Yardslave
sanderson
countrynaturals
trolleydriver
Nakajimaa
yolos
AtlantaMarie
No_Such_Reality
Robbomb116
Mellen
has55
BeetlesPerSqFt
CapeCoddess
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Turan
22 posters

Page 17 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  Yardslave 6/28/2018, 3:36 pm

My zucchini are really pushing out the fruit-enough to feed the two of us and give out 2 each to 4 people/week- should slow up, though- leaf miners are getting in. Have to keep up with the Neem oil sprays, and keep my fingers crossed that the powdery mildew and aphids don't get going. the beans are up, but not blossoming yet and I think that there are cut worms hanging around biting off the stems leaving a stalk and no leaves Evil or Very Mad The beets and radishes are coming along, but the leaf miners are a curse on the beets. Thinning out the carrots and finding they would catch a fine sum at one of those foofie restaurants that like serving Foodies portions that you need a magnifying glass to find the food.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson 6/28/2018, 11:11 pm

Yardslave wrote:Thinning out the carrots and finding they would catch a fine sum at one of those foofie restaurants that like serving Foodies portions that you need a magnifying glass to find the food.
2016 harvest.  Side dish special:  "Organic baby carrots $5.99"
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Carrot10

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/29/2018, 10:37 am

sanderson wrote:
Yardslave wrote:Thinning out the carrots and finding they would catch a fine sum at one of those foofie restaurants that like serving Foodies portions that you need a magnifying glass to find the food.
2016 harvest.  Side dish special:  "Organic baby carrots $5.99"
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Carrot10
I've been munching on those, too. YUMMY!
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/30/2018, 3:48 am

It's appropriate for July 1 that I post melon photos.  The first was taken at night.  This Petit Gris has on its new protective produce mesh coat. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Cantal13

Two other varieties, one probably a Hales.  They meander back and forth among the trellises, totally ignoring my labels. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Cantal14

Sweet melons.  They are too small for the mesh sleeves. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Melon_11

Watermelon, a little misshapen probably due to incomplete pollination.  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Waterm11

This is the 6th summer for SFG and I finally got around to selecting a solar powered water pump and bird bath. The pollinators, bumble bee, bees and wasps, follow me when I water the garden.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/30/2018, 4:18 pm

I'm sure there are folks in AZ, NM, TX and other areas that feel the same. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Meme_c11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackjackWidow 7/2/2018, 8:48 am

sanderson wrote:I'm sure there are folks in AZ, NM, TX and other areas that feel the same. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Meme_c11

Flip everywhere it says "Summer" to "Winter", and everywhere it says "Winter" to "Summer", and you cover all of us in the Midwest  Laughing
BlackjackWidow
BlackjackWidow

Female Posts : 173

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/7/2018, 4:04 am

Big score at the Farmer's market tonight.  When the temps are in the 100s, the produce just doesn't last.  I still have 3 buckets to chop but I'm too pooped so I will do it in the morning. It's time to build another 80-gallon tumbler pile for composting. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Compos16

Three (3) more buckets to go. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Compos15

The corn has not fallen over with the new frame with trellis netting.  However, it's all caught up in the trellis so I will have to cut the zip ties and free it. Then secure it so the ears and tassels (growing) can socialize. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Corn_t10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/7/2018, 12:55 pm

Your corn looks nice and green and healthy.  Next year maybe just some ropes/string down the side instead of the netting.?????????????????????
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/7/2018, 2:51 pm

Corn!!!  Why does it need support?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/7/2018, 4:18 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Corn!!!  Why does it need support?
This is why.  It can get blown over by a nice thunderstorm.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Corn_b10
We are using Mel's Mix which is very light.  Easy to pull weeds but not strong enough to hold up corn from being blown over with the wind.  Also, it is difficult to pull dirt up around the bottom of the stalk because of intensely planting.  Probably some other differences between growing corn in SFG and farmers growing corn out in a field.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Corn_b11
If it is supported in some way, it can withstand a lot of wind.  This bed now has supports all around the stalks and the corn survived the last thunderstorm.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Corn_b12
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/8/2018, 11:20 pm

I managed to get the front row freed from the netting.  The back row will have to wait a day or two.

New compost started in the tumbler with the produce score from Friday night.  Mowed leaves and Starbucks added.  Tomorrow I may have to chop some bedding straw for more volume.  The compost on the blue tarp is heavenly.  Yes, there are still horse droppings but they are pasteurized and smell totally earthy.  The red wigglers love them. For anyone familiar with the Lifetime tumbler, yes it is not in the neutral position. I'm turning and locking into different positions to let the juices trickle through the dry leaves. Only then will I water if needed. I've learned not to over water the tumbler like I could do with the bin. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Compos17
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Compos18

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackjackWidow 7/11/2018, 10:33 am

Wow, Sanders - that is some beautiful compost!
BlackjackWidow
BlackjackWidow

Female Posts : 173

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2018, 2:22 pm

Thank you. I am really pleased with this batch. The new one in the tumbler has not gotten above 115*F. ??

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/13/2018, 4:00 am

I've been playing Nurse Ratchett for Ken after his shoulder surgery Tuesday morning so I've been sporadic on this Forum. Boy, that is one painful surgery, even with just three little holes.

Hot, just plain hot.  The cotton is growing, along with the one soy bean that sprouted. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Cotton12

The corn is 7' and taller.  But, instead of ears and silks popping out, there are clusters of leaves. thinking  I was able to free up the leaves and tassels caught in the trellis netting. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Corn_710

There are plants in just 4 of these pots.  Lemon grass started 3 years ago, Pineapple Sage started 4 summers ago, New Zealand spinach (this spring), and walking onions (2 summers ago).  The sage and NZ spinach fill up the half of this area. I'll get that bird bath level if it kills me. I tried a shim, now it leans a different direction. tongue California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Bird_b12

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/13/2018, 11:26 am

Shoulder surgery -- OUCH! Garden's looking good. 

Hot is right. Bob got heat exhaustion, waiting out in the 107-110 heat, waiting for a delivery truck that never came.  Mad Now I have to watch him like a hawk and not let him out without a neck cooling towel and definitely not after it hits triple digits.  Evil or Very Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/13/2018, 3:51 pm

Yes, tell him to cool it! Wink

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/17/2018, 3:29 am

106*F but the humidity has dropped so it only feels like 106*F. Razz

The SQ corn finally put out some ears with silks. It's about 9 feet tall, or an elephant's eye.

The Cherokee Purple and Arkansas Traveler tomatoes are turning red. The Snow Fairy pumps out ripe tomatoes daily. Nothing is flowering (well maybe the cucumbers), so there will be a break in production until the temps drop (no break in sight for another 10 days min)

I'm sorry there are no photos or exciting news. tongue

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 7/17/2018, 1:28 pm

Same hot weather here, but with a twist- coastal fog settles in at night and temps drop by 40 degrees. It's been a challenge to keep up with the watering, but so far, no droopy squash plants. The Tomatoes are setting fruit, but not at a high rate due to the heat, and ripening is slow due to the cold nights. With the intense heat, the beans are showing some signs of leaf burning when I can't get enough water on them, but they are climbing and showing some blossoms. The thing that has been bothering me is that I planted beans that were supposed to be bush varieties, but turns out I planted Blue Lake pole beans from a mismarked pack, so I had to put up tripod pole arrangements to accommodate the climbers. half the bed is Kentucky Wonder bush variety that won't need trellising, so the outside plants on the 4 corners of the square are pole beans and the center "cross" plantings are bush- it will make it hard to get at the center of the patch with the pole beans in the way. Oh well, I'll have beans no matter what, and my dog is always willing to help find a few bean pods for herself to snack on.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/17/2018, 4:46 pm

I didn't realize that the coastal fog reached all the way to Carmel Valley. Have you posted a photo of you garden buddy under PETS: Garden Doggies?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/19/2018, 1:50 am

I thought we had a cloudy overcast, today.  I kept waiting for a little thunderstorm.  Then I found out it was a smoke blanket over the Valley.  Shocked It was 108*F and smokey. Nothing is setting, but fruit that set before the heat, are ripening nicely.

Super excited to finally have some decent tomatoes of varieties that are hard to grow here.  Cherokee Purple, Rutger, Mortgage Lifter, and Arkansas Traveler.  The reliable Snow Fairy tomatoes, which are the first to set and ripen, have done very well.  I will prep them for the freezer for canned tomatoes later in the season.  

I proudly present Sanderson's first exotic tomato harvest.  Wink   California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 Harves13

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 7/19/2018, 12:08 pm

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 2027012869 S, good to see that all that hard work in the garden is paying off.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/19/2018, 12:33 pm

Yardslave wrote:California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 2027012869 S, good to see that all that hard work in the garden is paying off.
+1
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/19/2018, 5:23 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
Yardslave wrote:California - What are you doing this month? - Page 17 2027012869 S, good to see that all that hard work in the garden is paying off.
+1
+2
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/20/2018, 12:03 am

Thank you, folks

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/24/2018, 3:44 am

I notice there are Heat Warnings through Thursday in many areas of CA. Stay cool and I hope everyone's plants make it.

In Fresno, we were warned that black outs are possible.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next