Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+18
farmersgranddaughter
BlackjackWidow
Scorpio Rising
Yardslave
sanderson
countrynaturals
trolleydriver
Nakajimaa
yolos
AtlantaMarie
No_Such_Reality
Robbomb116
Mellen
has55
BeetlesPerSqFt
CapeCoddess
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Turan
22 posters

Page 12 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 22  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  countrynaturals 2/25/2018, 2:10 am

sanderson wrote:In Fresno, 31*F at 4:30 am so I am guessing it reached 30*F.  Up to 32*F now at 7:30 am.  You had a hard freeze.
I didn't go outside, today -- afraid of what I'll find -- but I will go, tomorrow. It's only supposed to get down to 31, tonight, and low 30s for the rest of the week. Maybe the worst is over for this year.  Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  countrynaturals 2/25/2018, 10:48 am

countrynaturals wrote:
sanderson wrote:In Fresno, 31*F at 4:30 am so I am guessing it reached 30*F.  Up to 32*F now at 7:30 am.  You had a hard freeze.
I didn't go outside, today -- afraid of what I'll find -- but I will go, tomorrow. It's only supposed to get down to 31, tonight, and low 30s for the rest of the week. Maybe the worst is over for this year.  Rolling Eyes
Asparagus survived! That's all that mattered. Rain and even a possibility of snow in the 10-day, but no more hard freezes. lots o  Too cold to get serious about outside gardening yet, but I will be starting some more seeds inside.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/1/2018, 11:19 am

Reading, watching TV, playing XBox, petting cats, playing with the puppy. AARRGGHH!!!!! Where is spring?  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 671790
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/3/2018, 1:56 am

I must be the only one on the Forum that is enjoying the winter rain and wind, and tinkering indoors. Before I know it, it will be hot and the Aedes Aegypti mosquito will be tormenting me.

This weekend I am starting my seeds indoors. I was wondering what to use for potting soil, when I remembered I had some left over bags of vermiculite, fluffed peat moss and store-bought compost! So I'm making Mel's Mix and filling the seed pots. Tomorrow I will start the tedious job of seeding and most important, labeling what I plant. I wanted to reconfigure the light stands for the T8 shop lights but I won't have time. I procrastinated all winter.

I may have jury duty starting Monday, for 5-6 weeks. What a Face I made the cut for the pool for this long trial. So, a 3-day weekend to get my affairs in order, which to me means starting the seedlings. Wink

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/3/2018, 2:01 am

CN, I love the photo of your daffodils! A promise of spring to come.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 3/3/2018, 6:18 pm

sanderson wrote: Tomorrow I will start the tedious job of seeding and most important, labeling what I plant. 
okay Labels! Wish I'd started using them sooner!
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/3/2018, 7:11 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
sanderson wrote: Tomorrow I will start the tedious job of seeding and most important, labeling what I plant. 
Just finished mine.  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 43549  Re-planted zinnias. Transplanted basil, broccoli, kale. Planted melons, pumpkin, winter squash, marigolds, and sunflowers. 

This is the best start I've ever gotten on the garden. Can't wait for spring.  bounce
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/4/2018, 12:06 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Just finished mine.  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 43549  Re-planted zinnias. Transplanted basil, broccoli, kale. Planted melons, pumpkin, winter squash, marigolds, and sunflowers. 

This is the best start I've ever gotten on the garden. Can't wait for spring.  bounce
forgot to mention that I planted a bunch of cat grass seeds for sprouts for Chessy.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/5/2018, 6:18 pm

Unexpected gorgeous day for gardening! happy turtle I pulled up last year's corn stalks, pulled the weeds in that bed, and applied a bucketful of finished composed over a layer of rabbit poo from last month. I also raked up the wood chips around it. When it's time to plant in that location, it will be ready.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/5/2018, 6:56 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Unexpected gorgeous day for gardening! happy turtle I pulled up last year's corn stalks, pulled the weeds in that bed, and applied a bucketful of finished composed over a layer of rabbit poo from last month. I also raked up the wood chips around it. When it's time to plant in that location, it will be ready.
NICE!!!! cheers

Love those days!  Sounds like you got a lot done!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/5/2018, 9:35 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:Unexpected gorgeous day for gardening! happy turtle I pulled up last year's corn stalks, pulled the weeds in that bed, and applied a bucketful of finished composed over a layer of rabbit poo from last month. I also raked up the wood chips around it. When it's time to plant in that location, it will be ready.
NICE!!!! cheers

Love those days!  Sounds like you got a lot done!
Yup. Felt good. (compost, not composed, btw.  Embarassed )
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/12/2018, 3:23 pm

Thursday:  Seedlings enjoying the warmth and sun.  Rain is forecast for a few days starting tomorrow, Tuesday.  At least we got the light stands up inside for rainy days. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 Seedli15

Friday:  Bridal veils washed and drying on the lines. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 Bridal10

Friday: Getting ready to pull the winter crops. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 Winter14

Saturday and Sunday: Added new compost to the beds and turned it under in preparation for Tuesday's rains.  Also, harvested all of the oranges, which will be juiced on a rainy day.  The frozen orange juice from last year was still delicious this spring.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/12/2018, 3:48 pm

Wow, that is great sanderson. 

It's just not fair. I look out at my SFG and it's just white with snow.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/16/2018, 5:48 pm

Seedlings safe and snug on this stormy day.  I was late getting them started but I won't transplant until late April.  As my daughter and I say, "Better to be late than really late."
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 Seedli16
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 Seedli16

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/19/2018, 3:04 pm

Every day, 3 bees and one hummingbird visit the kale flowers.  I didn't know HB could get anything from the kale flowers. ??

Juicing the last of the oranges for freezing. It's hard to tell but that one huge orange is as big as the 2-cup measuring cup. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 Orange12
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 Orange11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/20/2018, 1:06 pm

sanderson wrote:Thursday:  Seedlings enjoying the warmth and sun.  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 Seedli15
This is exactly what I need to see for motivation!  Thanks, Sanderson.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/20/2018, 1:13 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
sanderson wrote:Thursday:  Seedlings enjoying the warmth and sun.  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 Seedli15
This is exactly what I need to see for motivation!  Thanks, Sanderson.
I'm jealous.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/9/2018, 4:09 am

What with the April rains, has anyone planted their seedlings? I was late starting seedlings indoors and they are still too small to survive a hard rain. I did manage to sow all of the beans this evening after finishing up the new summer squash bed. (A 2' x 1 1/2' short table top sitting on bricks.)

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 4/9/2018, 1:11 pm

I tried to set out some eggplants, basal, and parsley. They have been waiting far too long to be transplanted, but I took advantage of the break in the weather and in they went. They were so leggy that the rain  has beaten them up pretty badly, so my fingers are crossed and I hope they make it.  I'm going to set out the tomatoes in a few days and see if they can get going.I don't know if the sparrows will lay off them and give them a chance- they hit the kale and chard so bad that the stalks barely have any green on them. Seems like they descend on my garden just ahead of a storm front and set up a banquet on anything green or blossoming-it's odd that they haven't developed a taste for weeds, but why should they bother, when I've set the table for them.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/9/2018, 3:34 pm

Sparrows are cute until they decide to eat at the buffet. I think something dug up a bean last night. Today is beautiful, coolish but sunny. I think I will take the chance and plant a few more test plants today. Shocked

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/11/2018, 10:32 pm

Me too, TD!

I need to make my markers short enough to fit under the stupid starter thing....mine get jostled and I lose track of what’s where.  More important for peppers and maters than lettuce!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/11/2018, 10:38 pm

SR ?? Did you mean to reply to a different topic?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/12/2018, 3:07 am

It's midnight and the temperature is 54*F and expected to drop of 46*F. We are having a slight rain with strong winds. All of the seedlings have been outdoors for days now and the grow light back in storage. So . . . I set all of the trays in an unplanted bed and covered with 4 mil plastic to get through the night. I just have to remember to open during the day or I will be back to the drawing board. Shocked

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/12/2018, 3:06 pm

Last night's emergency green house.  One of the benefits of having frames in place year around. I opened it this morning and with the cool (cold) wind it is just perfect today. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 Hot_ho13

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/12/2018, 3:23 pm

sanderson wrote:Last night's emergency green house.  One of the benefits of having frames in place year around.  I opened it this morning and with the cool (cold) wind it is just perfect today. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 12 Hot_ho13
+1
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 22  Next