Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+18
farmersgranddaughter
BlackjackWidow
Scorpio Rising
Yardslave
sanderson
countrynaturals
trolleydriver
Nakajimaa
yolos
AtlantaMarie
No_Such_Reality
Robbomb116
Mellen
has55
BeetlesPerSqFt
CapeCoddess
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Turan
22 posters

Page 9 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 22  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson 11/2/2017, 3:59 pm

Last year was brutal with grasshoppers. This year I think I've seen maybe 4 or 5, so maybe next year will be better for you.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  trolleydriver 11/2/2017, 5:55 pm

sanderson wrote:I haven't worked in the garden since I had the face treatment.  However, today I got out there after the sun moved behind the neighbor's trees.  Both totes of sweet potatoes split so I harvested them.  They were so crowded that they were showing on the top of the Mel's Mix.  This is the best I have done.  Gee, I wonder if I keep learning from this Forum? Very Happy  I sauteed a few root runts and extra starts from the winter garden for a veggie dinner.  PS: The plate is a smaller salad plate. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 Sweet_14
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 Sweet_15
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 Sweet_16
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 Sweet_17

I've also been canning the frozen summer tomatoes.  22 pints of tomatoes and 3 cups of tomato sauce. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 Cannin10

This photo was taken around Oct 18 and shows the mass of sweet potato vines and the 9 tomato plants along the fence.  I have since removed 4 plants on the right end and discovered real tomatoes on the fifth one.  I already pulled the markers but they are pleated so probably Mortgage Lifter.   On the remaining 4 plants, I have been pruning, leaving only clusters that have a chance to ripen by the end of November or early December. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 Garden10

All of the winter starts are planted and covered with bridal tulle.  One bed left for sowing carrot, lettuce and radish seeds and then it will also be covered.

That's about it.  Oh, I ordered the soft neck Susanville, an "improved selection of California Early"garlic, from Territorial, so I have those to plant.  bounce  They will have a 2'x4' bed with an overhead PVC frame, that they can stay in until ready for harvest.  In the past I have had to pull them too soon to make room for summer starts.  Also, there is a valve for the driplines so I won't be over watering.  Last winter, we had so much rain that they rotted.  They will have a tulle cover and a plastic rain coat if needed. Wink

Look at you sanderson, with that amazing garden and harvest.  way to go
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/2/2017, 8:19 pm

Very Happy   Garden after sweet potato harvest and some tomato plants cut down: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 Garden11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/5/2017, 5:10 pm

Everything I wanted to save is inside under lights. Tomorrow (no rain) I will check and see if there's anything else left outside that needs to be salvaged. 

I also need to take stock and see if I need to plant any more seeds this year. I will also go through all of my old seeds and see what I can find for microgreens. 

I'd like to rake more leaves, move more chips, and do some more work on the compost heap, but the 10-day says nothing will be dry enough out there anytime soon. Rolling Eyes 

Today I'm re-organizing and cleaning up my indoor garden supplies and seeds. I may get out to the deck for some sweeping and straightening, but that can wait until tomorrow if I poop out too soon. Razz
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/7/2017, 2:51 pm

Perfect gardening day! I hauled 4 more buckets of leaves for my new sfg. I'll add plenty of rabbit poo over the winter, so this bed should be ready for anything next spring. sunny
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/7/2017, 9:45 pm

sanderson wrote:Very Happy   Garden after sweet potato harvest and some tomato plants cut down: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 Garden11
Love it! cheers
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/19/2017, 3:00 pm

Raked up the compost heap. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 43549 Now I'm moving chips and cleaning out vines for the compost. If that doesn't put my shirt in the dirt, I'll rake leaves. sawing logs
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/21/2017, 1:58 pm

I haven't been writing much on the Forum.  We have been deep cleaning and going through boxes and bags of stuff pulled out of 4 bedroom that we had painted.  I've also done 17 loads of laundry of bedding, towels, quilts and extra blankets that were clean except for lots of dust and micro paint over-spray.  Yep, we are hosting Thanksgiving after 3 years of driving up to Sacramento.

A few nights ago, we had a real down pour, 1/2" in 1 hour.  Now, I know it doesn't sound like much to those in Florida, hurricane/storm states, but it dumped 0.4 " in the first 30 minutes.  The weather has been nice and nights still above 40*F.  I have some beautiful Mortgage Lifter tomatoes that I am hoping will start blushing.  The winter garden is growing nicely in the Table Top beds and doesn't require any work except to ensure the bridal tulle remains tight.

That's all for now.  A new day of deep cleaning.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/21/2017, 6:31 pm

sanderson wrote:
That's all for now.  A new day of deep cleaning.
 You go, Girlfriend! okay
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/22/2017, 2:55 am

I forgot to mention that I finally got the garlic planted in one of the 2'x4' rolling beds.  I planted. carefully covered with straw and then realized I forgot to put the drip lines in before I spaced for planting.  Dummy.

Okay, I gotta share two of the results of all the hard work.  These rooms have been basically storage rooms for a couple of years, totally unusable.  We made hard decisions for donations, garbage, recycle, and what to keep and where.  Deep cleaning, even the silk plants were washed in the shower! Razz  The walls are light brown, NOT pink, though they look it in the photos.  Ken made the Grandfather clock. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 Thanks10
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 Thanks11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/22/2017, 8:22 am

WOW! That looks gorgeous, Sanderson!!!

And as a woodworker, I love the job Ken did on that clock..... SO pretty.....
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/22/2017, 11:04 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:WOW!  That looks gorgeous, Sanderson!!!

And as a woodworker, I love the job Ken did on that clock.....  SO pretty.....

+1
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 11/22/2017, 3:19 pm

sanderson wrote:I forgot to mention that I finally got the garlic planted in one of the 2'x4' rolling beds.  I planted. carefully covered with straw and then realized I forgot to put the drip lines in before I spaced for planting.  Dummy.

Okay, I gotta share two of the results of all the hard work.  These rooms have been basically storage rooms for a couple of years, totally unusable.  We made hard decisions for donations, garbage, recycle, and what to keep and where.  Deep cleaning, even the silk plants were washed in the shower! Razz  The walls are light brown, NOT pink, though they look it in the photos.  Ken made the Grandfather clock. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 Thanks10
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 Thanks11

Looks real nice BUT I see some unfinished business.  Pictures on the floor to the left of the beautiful clock.  Tut Tut.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/22/2017, 5:30 pm

Well!  At least you can't see the pictures hiding behind the (2) easy chairs to the left.  Wink  Mother had a lot of fine/collectible pictures and it was so hard to decide what to put up and what to consider putting up and what to dispose.

Five (5) years ago, this was the condition of the living room and dining room AFTER 2 large estate sales, gifting to the kids and 1 year of eBay selling antiques, collectibles, primitives and 200 sets of china.  Everything left in my Mother's house was brought to our house when her house sold.  Mind you, this was 5 years ago and we since had gotten the 2 rooms close to what is shown now.  Two (2) years ago we had the 4 bedrooms and 2 baths painted and some stuff was still in these rooms until 2 days ago.

Five years ago: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 100_5310
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 100_5311
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 100_5312

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 11/23/2017, 7:53 am

Shocked  That's an amazing transformation! Deep cleaning is hard work, but for me at least, those hard decisions you mentioned would be harder. praise

I hope that you and your guests/family enjoy the re-purposed rooms and have a great Thanksgiving! And then,I'd say you absolutely deserve a rest, whether the pictures are on the walls or not.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/23/2017, 8:49 am

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Shocked  That's an amazing transformation! Deep cleaning is hard work, but for me at least, those hard decisions you mentioned would be harder. praise

I hope that you and your guests/family enjoy the re-purposed rooms and have a great Thanksgiving! And then,I'd say you absolutely deserve a rest, whether the pictures are on the walls or not.
+1
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/27/2017, 3:37 pm

Made it through Thanksgiving!  Weather was great, seeing the kids was great, food, meh.  I can't believe that after years of cooking, this turkey was undercooked!  All the side dishes were hot and I started cutting the turkey and it was half raw!  I hacked off some pieces and microwaved as the side dishes were cooling.   tongue  Here's my little helper, Inara, my daughter's dog.  She recently had pups and lost a lot of hair.  Three women and a dog made the kitchen a bit crowded.  Razz  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 Img_9911

This is Monday and the last dishes related to Thanksgiving and making bone broth are washing in the dishwasher.  The house is still organized and clean (just don't look in the computer/storage room).  It rained 0.25" last night and the air is clean today.  The windows were washed last Wednesday and it's enjoyable looking out at the garden, sky and clouds. As I feel less guilty, I'm off to take a nice nap. Later folks.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/27/2017, 4:08 pm

sanderson wrote:Made it through Thanksgiving!  Weather was great, seeing the kids was great, food, meh.  I can't believe that after years of cooking, this turkey was undercooked!  All the side dishes were hot and I started cutting the turkey and it was half raw!  I hacked off some pieces and microwaved as the side dishes were cooling.   tongue  Here's my little helper, Inara, my daughter's dog.  She recently had pups and lost a lot of hair.  Three women and a dog made the kitchen a bit crowded.  Razz  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 9 Img_9911

This is Monday and the last dishes related to Thanksgiving and making bone broth are washing in the dishwasher.  The house is still organized and clean (just don't look in the computer/storage room).  It rained 0.25" last night and the air is clean today.  The windows were washed last Wednesday and it's enjoyable looking out at the garden, sky and clouds.  As I feel less guilty, I'm off to take a nice nap.  Later folks.

Lookin' good sanderson. Glad you had a really nice family time.

Better the turkey was under-cooked rather than overcooked which reminds me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spmqbs8YCW8
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/27/2017, 4:14 pm

That movie is still hysterical! Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/27/2017, 4:19 pm

I finally managed to catch the back neighbor's yard service a few minutes ago. They always blow off the large patio towards the good neighbor fence between us and dog hair, dirt and other minutia comes flying over getting every thing dirty on my side. They also blow off the sidewalk towards us. Weed seeds, leaves and dirt come flying over. I watched as they did it nicely in the other directions. bounce happy dance

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/27/2017, 4:22 pm

sanderson wrote:That movie is still hysterical! Razz
I try to watch it every year.  I've adopted cousin Eddie's "It's goooood" remark when we have something that tastes good, especially something from the SFG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbbrpQTzmWI
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/27/2017, 4:23 pm

sanderson wrote:I finally managed to catch the back neighbor's yard service a few minutes ago.  They always blow off the large patio towards the good neighbor fence between us and dog hair, dirt and other minutia comes flying over getting every thing dirty on my side.  They also blow off the sidewalk towards us.  Weed seeds, leaves and dirt come flying over.  I watched as they did it nicely in the other directions.  bounce  happy dance

cheers  
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/30/2017, 3:28 pm

I may actually escape the kitchen today.  Very Happy  Tuesday I made sauerkraut and Wednesday canned some of the yams and tomato sauce from the last of the frozen tomatoes.  Canning takes planning, cleaning, counter and stove space and food prep.  The canner is too heavy for me to lift with my back.  But, after every jar has pinged and everything is washed and the counters clean, it gives such a sense of accomplishment.

The weather is still good, the winter plants still growing and the garlic is up!  Still haven't seeded the lettuces, carrots and radishes.  I just caught a mocking bird looking for red wigglers in an exposed bed.   hiddenID   If he would just smooth back the Mix after he was done.  A fat squirrel has been caught twice on the fence in the vicinity of the remaining tomato plants.  It's probably time to pull them out but the Sun Golds are still fully ripening and the Mortgage Lifters are just starting to blush.

Time to figure out what outdoor Christmas lights to put up this year.  My husband using a ladder makes me nervous. What a Face

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/1/2017, 5:44 pm

This article was on MSN today. This was the landslide that forced us to drive the more inland highway 101 between Pismo and Carmel. I can't imagine being the big equipment driver trying to scoop one load of dirt at a time, and hoping the hill doesn't dump a few tons of slide material on top of me. Shocked https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/engineers-still-battling-to-reopen-california-highway-1/ar-BBFYuxu#image=BBFYuxu_1|1

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/1/2017, 8:30 pm

Well that’s scary!!!  Engineers...gotta have ‘em!I love you

Your veggies sound amazing, sanderson.  I can’t wait to get mine going in a few months!  I have learned so much, and am sooo glad I have taken detailed notes!

I hope I got my garlic started in time; I had a big case of the Procrastinations this fall....got it in the deep box last weekend.  It has been 40-50s days and 30s at night.  The MM is not frozen at all.  Hopefully it gets hold.  bounce
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 22  Next