Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
eggplant - Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire Toplef10eggplant - Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

eggplant - Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire I22gcj10eggplant - Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
eggplant - Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire Toplef10eggplant - Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

eggplant - Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire I22gcj10eggplant - Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire

+4
Fiz
BeetlesPerSqFt
Turan
countrynaturals
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

eggplant - Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire Empty Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire

Post  sanderson 8/20/2017, 12:31 pm

I thought I started a thread on this variety of eggplant but I guess not.  The only kind I am able to grow here is the Millionaire (Territorial / Burpee).  Small diameter, long sweet eggplants, perfect for roasting in a pan with other veggies.  The skin is soft and edible.  This year, the single plant is almost 5' tall and falling out of the bed.  It bent its cage.

I tried making baba ganoush but I think they are too sweet for it.  Shocked

Here it is back in July when it was only 4'  eggplant - Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire Eggpla13

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

eggplant - Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire Empty Re: Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire

Post  countrynaturals 8/20/2017, 12:43 pm

Mine is called "Black Beauty." I bought 4 of them last spring. They've held up beautifully through the heat, but one lost a fight with a chicken. Sad They're all less than 2' tall, but starting to produce. I've only grown them once before and that was last century, so I don't remember when to harvest. (The fruit is fist-sized right now.) geek
eggplant - Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire Eggpla11
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

eggplant - Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire Empty Re: Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire

Post  Turan 8/20/2017, 11:02 pm

O my, those are lovely pictures.

No spider mites or flea beetles?
I can only dream....

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/21/2017, 7:39 am

Turan wrote:O my, those are lovely pictures.

I can only dream....
Hard to recognize as an eggplant without the holes and spots, isn't it! All of mine have plenty of flea beetles. Millionaire is doing better for me than Black Beauty -- but the pH is my beds is 7.5 and higher than eggplants like, so a comparison with proper pH might not show the same result. The square I treated with acidifier has a healthier looking eggplant, almost as healthy as the Millionaire, but I haven't gotten around to doing the other squares.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/21/2017, 11:10 am

Turan wrote:
I can only dream....
So far so good. This is a 1st year bed. The bad guys haven't found it yet.  Razz
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/22/2017, 8:15 pm

I would be interested in the sweeter ones with soft skin.  In my opinion, some eggplant is pretty bitter.  How many do you get off one plant?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/23/2017, 2:09 am

SR, If you are asking me about my one plant, I haven't been keeping track. Maybe 25 or more so far, with more on the plant. My husband doesn't like them. He likes the "regular" ones, like Black Beauty, but only if they aren't bitter. rofl That means slicing and salting.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiz 8/23/2017, 7:57 am

That's quite a haul from one plant, nice! I might get that many from all 4 of my Italian variety the whole season, lol. How big do they get before you pick them?
Fiz
Fiz

Male Posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post  SQWIB 8/23/2017, 10:17 am

I planted purple Stripe and Black Beauty last year and only BB this year, never had to salt my BB's due to bitterness, but it seems that most folks do complain about bitterness.
I try to pick when the skins are shiny, you can see by the pic below that the ones on the plant are ready to be picked and one of the eggplants (left back) in the first pic is starting to get dull.

eggplant - Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire 36572963681_a43eb4c792_b

eggplant - Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire 35037439384_b6ac600e92_b

As a matter of fact just fried 6 last night.

eggplant - Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire 36755991595_f14ecc3ca8_b

I would like to try these Japanese Millionaire eggplants.
SQWIB
SQWIB

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/23/2017, 1:12 pm

Fiz, They are "personal" size, about 6-7" long.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/23/2017, 7:17 pm

They look delish all fried up!  I might give one a go next year!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/16/2018, 9:53 pm

Sanderson, would you be interested or capable of giving me a few eggplant seeds?  The skinny ones?  I want to do 1 Square...maybe 3-4 seeds?  PM me?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/17/2018, 12:39 am

Shocked I'm glad you posted because I am out!  . . . No, wait, I DO have a few.  Oh, well, so I ordered a new pack a few minutes ago.  Embarassed

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/17/2018, 11:42 am

sanderson wrote:Shocked I'm glad you posted because I am out!  . . . No, wait, I DO have a few.  Oh, well, so I ordered a new pack a few minutes ago.  Embarassed
They have some seeds at my local nursery, I am going to check out what they have, or else order some, too!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/22/2018, 8:57 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
sanderson wrote:Shocked I'm glad you posted because I am out!  . . . No, wait, I DO have a few.  Oh, well, so I ordered a new pack a few minutes ago.  Embarassed
They have some seeds at my local nursery, I am going to check out what they have, or else order some, too!
I caved...big box only had Black Beauty.  So I ordered Pingtung from Pinetree....66 days!!!!  Early for eggplant!

https://www.superseeds.com/products/pingtung-long-eggplant-66-days
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/18/2018, 8:34 pm

https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/25/77/83/9ec92310.jpg

This is my first ever Ping Tung (or any other for that matter!) eggplant!  Gorgeous, delicious, simply sauteed with EVOO, garlic and spices....my tiny plant in the SFG in MM is putproducing the one in the South Annex....I think the squirrels are pilfering to be completely honest.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/19/2018, 1:10 am

I definitely like the Asian varieties better than Black Beauty. When we have our seed exchange, remember me for Japanese Millionaire.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 7/20/2018, 2:44 pm

I remembered Beetles remark about eggplants liking a more acidic soil than a lot of veggies so this spring I sprinkled some sulfur where I was going to plant them.  They are doing much better this year.  So far (knock on wood) no spider mites or flea beetles.  I am growing 3 types, a generic in the greenhouse, Orient Express and Diamond.  So far I am most impressed with the Orient Express, besides it is the prettiest with its bright purple flowers.  The local nursery swears by them, says they are the most reliable here.  Next year I am thinking to grow Orient Express, Millionaire and Patio Baby (depending on how they do for Robbomb)

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

eggplant - Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire Empty Ping Tung variety

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/20/2018, 4:36 pm

I am growing Ping Tung, because of its short maturity (54 days) and high ratings on Pinetree seeds.  I have been delighted!  That’s interesting, Turan, about the acidity.

I will be glad to share some seeds, sanderson, let me know and I can send you a few to try.  I doubt I will get any from the fruits, as they are very narrow and non-seedy!  Glad to share however!  PM me!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 7/22/2018, 8:41 pm

Turan wrote:I remembered Beetles remark about eggplants liking a more acidic soil than a lot of veggies so this spring I sprinkled some sulfur where I was going to plant them.  They are doing much better this year.  So far (knock on wood) no spider mites or flea beetles.  I am growing 3 types, a generic in the greenhouse, Orient Express and Diamond.  So far I am most impressed with the Orient Express, besides it is the prettiest with its bright purple flowers.  The local nursery swears by them, says they are the most reliable here.  Next year I am thinking to grow Orient Express, Millionaire and Patio Baby (depending on how they do for Robbomb)
Ha! I didn't quite get to my own advice! I see I managed to get the acidifier to a position by the front door to go out, but apparently it's become background noise/clutter. The eggplants in the Earthbox are doing amazingly well, in spite of some Japanese beetle interest. I didn't know eggplant plants would/could get that big! ...I probably won't do eggplants in my SFG again until I move somewhere else (to be clear this is a not-enough-sunlight thing not a SFG-is-bad thing -- especially so since an ANSFG should not be under a tree and mine is.)
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/22/2018, 10:29 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Turan wrote:I remembered Beetles remark about eggplants liking a more acidic soil than a lot of veggies so this spring I sprinkled some sulfur where I was going to plant them.  They are doing much better this year.  So far (knock on wood) no spider mites or flea beetles.  I am growing 3 types, a generic in the greenhouse, Orient Express and Diamond.  So far I am most impressed with the Orient Express, besides it is the prettiest with its bright purple flowers.  The local nursery swears by them, says they are the most reliable here.  Next year I am thinking to grow Orient Express, Millionaire and Patio Baby (depending on how they do for Robbomb)
Ha! I didn't quite get to my own advice! I see I managed to get the acidifier to a position by the front door to go out, but apparently it's become background noise/clutter. The eggplants in the Earthbox are doing amazingly well, in spite of some Japanese beetle interest. I didn't know eggplant plants would/could get that big! ...I probably won't do eggplants in my SFG again until I move somewhere else (to be clear this is a not-enough-sunlight thing not a SFG-is-bad thing -- especially so since an ANSFG should not be under a tree and mine is.)
How big are these things, Beetles?  Pictures?  I have 2; one pretty compact in the 4x4, one in the south annex.  Bigger but not more productive!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 7/23/2018, 2:09 pm

I was figuring that the ones in the light-starved SFG were below-average, rather than the EarthBox eggplants being above-average. The yard stick is resting on the surface of the potting medium - they are approaching 3ft tall! I think these are Astrakom (which -woah where'd those come from?!- has fruits), Chinese Long, and one with Little Finger heritage...but I won't swear to it, because labels are a work in progress for me. They are each notably larger than my plants have gotten by the end of the season in the SFG.
eggplant - Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire Img_1610
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/23/2018, 5:56 pm

Dang!  Mine are not that bushy at all!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  bluelacedredhead 7/27/2018, 7:44 am

I don't think I've ever seen an eggplant plant that bushy  Shocked  

Ping Tung Long are a favourite of mine as well as Diamond, although I haven't grown eggplant for about 10 years. 

Great job all!
bluelacedredhead
bluelacedredhead

Female Posts : 114

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 7/27/2018, 11:23 am

I picked 1.25 pounds from 4 plants yesterday. Made Szechwan eggplant for dinner.
Some of the plants, especially the Orient Express are looking a bit scorched suddenly.  A few yellow leaves and rolled leaves. I watered them with epsom salts and they seem happier again.  I suspect they would like more compost mulching to sustain growth and production.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next