Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbie Oldbie Toplef10Newbie Oldbie 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbie Oldbie I22gcj10Newbie Oldbie 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbie Oldbie Toplef10Newbie Oldbie 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbie Oldbie I22gcj10Newbie Oldbie 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Newbie Oldbie

+6
Scorpio Rising
CapeCoddess
countrynaturals
hammock gal
AtlantaMarie
Browndog
10 posters

Go down

Newbie Oldbie Empty Newbie Oldbie

Post  Browndog 8/15/2017, 4:18 am

New here. Old person, 57, male. I'm about 33% through the book so far. I just gotta set me up one 4x4 SqFt garden. Found this because I'm addressing health more seriously. Buying good food is expensive, to say the least. I gotta grow some myself. 
Have to say it's interesting moving away from all the GMO and other toxins out there. Very interesting. Starting to feel normal. Much less felt stress. 
Have to admit. At first it seemed dumb to me to set up the squares. Now realizing, that keeps one focused. Am just growing for myself. So this method and focus should help. 
I have started learning about juicing and "canning" in jars. I know what to do with extra to make good use of it. Just wanting to help in putting a good dent in my food bill to begin with. 

I have a couple pallets, and some wood. Can build a compost area. As well as a 4x4 Sq.Ft. garden. Don't need to buy anything. Except the compost, peat moss, and vermiculite. Seeds too. 

Haven't decided on a trellis yet. We get blasted with wind. After reading the book. Still thinking about it. 

I have learned a great deal online lately. I didn't realize I could grow just about any tree or bush from cuttings. Really need to grow some. Need too many to pay for them. One row in my garden will work great for this. Might need to set up another Sq.Ft garden just to grow these out some? I hate to fool around with a bunch of pots. Yet, I know they're not expensive.
Browndog

Male Posts : 28

Back to top Go down

Newbie Oldbie Empty Re: Newbie Oldbie

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/15/2017, 6:49 am

Hi Browndog. Marie from Atlanta, GA here. Glad you've joined us!

I love the SFG method. You're right - it keeps me focused too. It appeals to my sense of order, lol!

There are also lots of us who can on here, so feel free to ask questions about that as well. And you might also think about dehyrating. But let's get you set up first!

We're here to help you all we can!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal 8/15/2017, 8:09 am

wave smile Hey there! This is my first year with a SFG, and I've learned a lot here. As far as trellising goes, I followed the book, and used electrical conduit, with netting tied onto it, but PVC pipe would work just as well. I used 2ft long rebar pounded into the ground at the four corners of my SFG, and the conduit slides down over it. The rebar is about half in the ground, and half above ground. It's really sturdy, and if you're worried about wind, I think this could withstand just about anything. Happy growing!
hammock gal
hammock gal

Female Posts : 381

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/15/2017, 9:48 am

"Old person", Smarty Pants? I have kids almost your age. Razz Welcome anyway. Rolling Eyes Just kidding. Glad to have you with us. I know MM can be expensive, and you mentioned saving money, so here's a link to a great thread on that topic. https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t18114-a-really-really-frugal-gardener?highlight=frugal 

You also mentioned "buying good food." According to many gardening gurus, that is almost impossible. Even organic produce is very often picked too soon and stored too long to be really nutritious. 
Growing our own veggies may not be economical at first, but we are doing the very best we can for our bodies. I love you
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Browndog 8/15/2017, 12:20 pm

Thank you all for the welcomes. 

I belong to a Breadroot Co-Op. Other than that. I buy much at the farmers market. They/we all try to do the best we can. At least, all of these, we're not flooded with GMO, and other toxins. I've found out how much better I feel, getting rid of toxins. 

Here recently. I finally found out what Broccoli without pesticides on it tastes like. The commercial store bought stuff. The pesticides can't be washed off. 

In the past. There was always something not quite right about food. I always had stress which is decreased greatly now. 

On the wind. Gee... I've owned this house for a year. It's only 8 years old. Past owner planted a Cottonwood tree in the front yard. It's a small yard/house. That's crazy. Cottonwoods grow fast and get gigantic. Besides.... The wind gets so bad here. That tree has broken off more than once. I pulled out the base of two trunks of this tree that broke off. One was about 10 inches across. Other about 8 inches. That's how bad our wind gets.
Browndog

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/15/2017, 12:29 pm

Yeah, I live in a wind tunnel, too.  It's a different way of gardening, but very do-able.  I sometimes clothes pin up 4'x3' pcs of burlap as wind blocks.  
Getting ready for some hurricane or other that was threatening to pass thru:
Newbie Oldbie Photo_10

Veggies directly from gardens, whether co-op or our own, are hands down superior to store bought.   Like garlic...it's a whole new experience.  I never knew it could taste so good.  And I love the convenience of walking outside and picking a salad.  Amazing!
What a Face
I'm a bit of a health nut myself.  Check out our Health & Fitness section when you get a chance and let us know what your up to to get healthy.

Oh...fyi, I use the trellis's from the ANSFG book.  They stand up to the wind just fine, in my area anyway.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Browndog 8/15/2017, 8:38 pm

I got all my stuff today. 
6 different kinds of compost/manure/yadda yadda. Did get one bag of mushroom compost. 
Only got one 2.2 ft bag of peat moss. Book says it doubles in size. A little on the low side. I think that's ok. 
Ended up with a little extra vermiculite. Bought 4 bags of 8 quart size from a store I like. Bought out their remainder of stock for the summer. Got 4 more of 1.5 Sq.Ft. from another store. Maybe I can consider this making up for the peat moss? 

I think it will work out ok. This is going to be a 4x4, one foot tall. I have the 2x12's already. Filling it a foot deep won't hurt. Not going to put a bottom in it. I think it's best to be strong in itself and well mated to the ground. Especially with the weather we get here. 

I even bought a 3 foot piece of 2x12. That's because I need to build a headboard for my bed. Also the 4x4 SFG. Came 2 feet short of doing both. Otherwise I had the wood. 

I was thinking of putting this stuff together right. Use glue and wood dowels? I know that lasts much longer. Stress and the metal screws will split the wood. Thinking about it. 
Also might stain the outside of it. I have the stain. Bought on sale at the store. 

Hated to spend the money. But geesh... I look at what I spend on groceries. Had to do this.
Browndog

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/15/2017, 9:17 pm

Hey, Browndog!  Welcome!  Can't wait to hear more about your journey!glad you\'re here  Ohio here....

What do you like to eat?  What are you going to grow first?  Starting  this fall?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  Browndog 8/15/2017, 10:59 pm

I like: Broccoli, tomatoes, carrots, spinach. It's what I've mostly bought at the store in the past. 
I can expand out. Have done a little lately. Just trying to vary my intake. I haven't grown anything yet. 
Got suggestions from my Region. So will probably try those. Even though the broccoli needs to be started. Might just plant the seed myself and see how it goes. Finding I rather like good radishes. Liking squash. Told to try leafy stuff that I can cut at anytime. So I'll see. Want to grow something this fall. Make sure I have it ready for greenhousing ahead of time.
Browndog

Back to top Go down

Post  Browndog 8/16/2017, 12:58 am

Here's one I haven't seen so far for growing. I'd like to grow either yams or sweet potatoes. I seriously don't have a clue. ???

As you can see. I'm a little infatuated with this right now. Spending much time reading. Also on here. Probably do me good to have one quick fall crop. Then, let it rest for the winter. Then plan on spring.
Browndog

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/16/2017, 1:05 am

Cape Coddess, I like your setup for wind protection. Is the material burlap or sun shade cloth?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/16/2017, 1:02 pm

sanderson wrote:Cape Coddess, I like your setup for wind protection.  Is the material burlap or sun shade cloth?

Burlap.  I believe I got it at HD. Maybe it was this one but it must have been on wicked sale since I don't think I would pay that much:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Jobe-s-Organics-3-ft-x-100-ft-Natural-Burlap-31100/202251731
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/17/2017, 1:19 pm

I just threw away several yards of burlap!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/17/2017, 1:44 pm

sanderson wrote:I just threw away several yards of burlap!

Shocked
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/17/2017, 8:17 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
sanderson wrote:I just threw away several yards of burlap!

Shocked
silly me
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/19/2017, 12:53 pm

Yep Shocked

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 8/22/2017, 10:47 am

Welcome Browndog.  Getting started is exciting, isn't it?
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Newbie Oldbie Empty RE: Newbie Oldbie

Post  newbeone 8/26/2017, 9:36 am

Welcome to the Forum, In Your post you mentioned planting Trees in one row of your garden and Hi wind, as MM Does not compact which is good but not so good for tall plants in hi wind situation.
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down