Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Do I need to pollinate my zucchinis? Toplef10Do I need to pollinate my zucchinis? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Do I need to pollinate my zucchinis? I22gcj10Do I need to pollinate my zucchinis? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Do I need to pollinate my zucchinis? Toplef10Do I need to pollinate my zucchinis? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Do I need to pollinate my zucchinis? I22gcj10Do I need to pollinate my zucchinis? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Do I need to pollinate my zucchinis?

+2
Robbomb116
hammock gal
6 posters

Go down

Do I need to pollinate my zucchinis? Empty Do I need to pollinate my zucchinis?

Post  hammock gal 7/22/2017, 7:50 pm

I have loads of green tomatoes, a few peppers, and a couple of cukes, but so far, I have not been able to find any zucchini. Granted, my SFG is an overgrown jungle of lush, green leaves, stems and tendrils, but I really haven't been able to see any zukes in there. I've always heard stories about zucchini being so prolific that people sneak onto their neighbor's porches in the dead of night to deposit their excess ones. So I thought they'd be a cinch to grow. This is my first time with them, and I've just been reading about the male and female flowers, so tomorrow, I will have to see if I'm able to locate both of them. I was thinking that if the tomatoes, cukes and peppers have been pollinated, that the zucchini would be too, but do I need to get out there and "bee" a pollinator myself? Is there a reason why the pollinators would have hit the other plants but not the zucchinis?
Do I need to pollinate my zucchinis? 2636062189
hammock gal
hammock gal

Female Posts : 381

Back to top Go down

Do I need to pollinate my zucchinis? Empty Re: Do I need to pollinate my zucchinis?

Post  Robbomb116 7/22/2017, 9:34 pm

One thing with zucchini and all squash really is the first about 10 or so flowers are all male, so even though you're seeing flowers, you moghtbnot have female flowers yet.

Side note, the male flowers are edible too! So you can pick the first 5 or 6 usually to eat and still know you'll have male flowers to pollinate the female flowers when they arrive.
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 364

Back to top Go down

Do I need to pollinate my zucchinis? Empty Re: Do I need to pollinate my zucchinis?

Post  hammock gal 7/23/2017, 9:24 am

Robbomb116 wrote:One thing with zucchini and all squash really is the first about 10 or so flowers are all male, so even though you're seeing flowers, you moghtbnot have female flowers yet.

Side note, the male flowers are edible too! So you can pick the first 5 or 6 usually to eat and still know you'll have male flowers to pollinate the female flowers when they arrive.

Ahh, this is good to know! I haven't eaten squash blossoms since my wonderful Italian landlady used to make them for me, many years ago. I found this recipe, which sounds very much like she used to make them. Maybe I'll give it a go. hungry
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/fried-ricotta-stuffed-zucchini.html
hammock gal
hammock gal

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/24/2017, 1:53 pm

Robbomb116 wrote:One thing with zucchini and all squash really is the first about 10 or so flowers are all male, so even though you're seeing flowers, you moghtbnot have female flowers yet.

I'm so glad you posted this.  I always think my seeds and plants are duds.
Altho I still have to wonder why the fruits sometimes shrivel up and fall off BEFORE the flower has even opened. That makes me a little crazy.
hyper
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  SQWIB 7/24/2017, 3:30 pm

I cant grow Zukes
I hand pollinated and got a few but me and Zucchini do not get along.
SQWIB
SQWIB

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/24/2017, 4:53 pm

Curbits in general & especially courgettes ie . marrows & zuch can be problematic in pollination especially if there are not many honey bees or bumble bees flying .
You'll  also  need in excess of  50 oF or  10 oC air temp & a fairly dry day .........65 to 70 oF is best  . Much past 70 oF & the plant starts to close down for the day as it's getting too hot .

WRT . which flower arrives first ...
I've always thought that the female flower arrived first , however  it matters not really .

What does matter is how to identify the differences twixt male & female flowers .

A female flower is recognised by being a flower in bud on a stem about 3 inches long ,  24 hrs later if the weather is over 65 oF & not too wet  this stem starts to swell like a mini , mini zuch & the flower bud starts to show  a willingness to start opening up .
 So now  you have a 1/3 ( 8 mm ) dia by 3 or so inches long baby zuc etc. with an about to open bloom in front of you .

The flower will usually open the next day ,  by which time you should also see a young male flowers either on this plant or the all important " stand by in reserve plant " adjacent to it .

The male flower looks like a female but the stem from which the flower head grows does not have any indication of the swelling . In other words this stem is about 1/8 inch thick for the three inches of its length .

Now for the easy bit  between 0800 & 11.00 hrs  as the day warms up when pollen & nectar production are on the rise cut off a single male flower if it has opened up and rub the pollen head into three or four female flowers .

Or
 You may want to try using a fine soft squirrel hair artists water painting brush or a rabbits tail pollinating mop to take pollen off the male flower & put it in the female flowers instead .

As far as I can discover  , you need a male curbit of the same species to pollinate the female . So you can't use say a bean pollen flower  to fertilize the curbit .

If the female flower does not get fertilized it will start to go rotten when the flower falls off . Often referred to as Blossom End Rot or BER

Some times if you have several plants with a lot of unfertilized female growth they can be cut off & added in a salad or popped in a stir fry .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/24/2017, 8:58 pm

https://www.google.com/search?q=male+vs+female+squash+flowers&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj24NPQnKPVAhWJ5yYKHeRnAtAQ_AUICSgB&biw=1024&bih=704#imgrc=ptX756YArhRUJM:
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/24/2017, 8:59 pm

https://www.google.com/search?q=male+vs+female+squash+flowers&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj24NPQnKPVAhWJ5yYKHeRnAtAQ_AUICSgB&biw=1024&bih=704#imgrc=PutmSuDYOFaBLM:
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/25/2017, 7:34 am

That's even better having the pictures SR. 
I also forgot to say the male flowers have the long thin straggly leaves at the base of the flower whereas there are none on the female flower  to speak of .

This a.m. two male flowers have opened , so with luck & judicious use of an artists soft paint brush they will ensure total pollination of the half dozen or so female flowers on the yellow zuch's in my ANSFG bed
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/25/2017, 10:19 am

Plantoid, why do the females sometimes shrivel up and die before their flower opens?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal 7/27/2017, 4:01 pm

Small family emergency had me away from the garden for a few days. Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. I finally had a chance to get out and check for male/female blossoms, and honestly, all the ones I see appear to be male. I'm keeping my fingers crossed some females make an appearance! But I have to tell you, it's a jungle in there!!! My SFG bed is so thick, there could be females that I just can't find. The tomatoes are about seven feet tall and sprawling everywhere, the zukes and cukes have such big leaves that I've totally lost the peppers! I'm going to have to mount an excursion into the "heart of darkness" soon, to see what goodies may be trapped in there. Shocked
hammock gal
hammock gal

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/27/2017, 4:41 pm

HG, I'd LOVE to see your garden. Would you please post photos in the New England thread? Pretty please?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down