Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
composting questions Toplef10composting questions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

composting questions I22gcj10composting questions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
composting questions Toplef10composting questions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

composting questions I22gcj10composting questions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peat Pots and Peat Pellets
by GreenScienx_Sug Today at 5:50 am

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

composting questions

3 posters

Go down

composting questions Empty composting questions

Post  dstubbs 5/16/2010, 6:58 am

Hi,

I'm thinking about trying to make my own compost. I have very little outdoor space, so I'm thinking of getting either a compact drum composter (eg - Envirocycle) or a vermicomposter (eg- The Worm Factory). Anyone have any thoughts on either of those? They're both a bit pricey so I'll have to save up for a while. This would probably have to be on my roof (where my SFG is!). If I get a worm composter, I suppose I'll have to bring the poor fellows inside over the winter. I know you can worm compost in a roughneck note (cheaper!), but I'm a bit squeamish and I want to interact as little as possible with the critters. I'm currently using store bought compost mixed from the few different sources I can find locally for my Mel's mix: mixed farm manures, acquaculture compost, sheep manure, and coffee grinds from Starbucks. I haven't gotten as far as harvesting anything, so I haven't had to add new compost yet after setting up my SFG.

If I do make my own compost using one of the above methods, is it ok to put weeds like dandelions from the yard into it? I don't use anything chemical on my lawn, but I'm worried that weed seeds might start sprouting up in my SFG if I do that.

All advice appreciated as I'm new and clueless!
dstubbs
dstubbs

Back to top Go down

composting questions Empty Re: composting questions

Post  trustingHim 5/16/2010, 9:11 am

I have been using an old trashcan that I drilled holes in for aeration. I found several videos on youtube that show how to construct a cheap compost bin. It's not as easy as a tumbling model, but the price was right. I already had an extra large trashcan around the house, so it was free!

Weeds are alright to add as long as they are not flowering. You don't want them to go to seed. The earlier you can catch them, the safer they will be in the composter.

Some sources say that the heat of the composting will kill the seeds, but I'd rather avoid the possibility.

I started my compost bin in late winter and my first batch is almost ready! Woo Hoo! composting questions Icon_biggrin
trustingHim
trustingHim

Back to top Go down

Post  dstubbs 5/16/2010, 11:53 am

How do you know when the compost is ready?
dstubbs
dstubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/16/2010, 12:22 pm

I have two drum composters that I was given because they were to small for the organization that had them before me. It was a wildlife rehabilitation place and they had lots of deer poop when they came to the city. I have added EVERYTHING from my yard to them. (except dog poop and rose canes, so I guess it is almost everything). I have composted dandelion and have not had that in the garden. But, I do get plenty of potatoes and the occasional chickweed. Yesterday I even had a tomato. I put worms into mine when I come across them while weeding. They rapidly multiply. I have had mine for two years now and in zone 7 have never brought them inside or protected them in any way. The worms have always survived.

The compost seems to be ready when there is more black muck (not as icky as muck sounds, but it is different from dirt) then clippings and scraps. I used my first batch in spring after a summer of lawn clippings and a winter of kitchen scraps. By late February it had a neutral scent (another sign of ripe compost) and was alive with worms (I probably only added 10 or so). The last three boxes I have filled have bagged compost (the standard 5 different kinds) and get as many weeds as the first box (not really that many) but those weeds are not as interesting as the homegrown. I will be using my own compost to refresh the boxes as I replant for succession planting and probably as a cover for winter if I have enough. Something I have noticed about bagged compost is that it is full of wood shavings. Homegrown is not.

One bonus that I have not used yet is the container of compost tea on the bottom of the bin. But I will try it soon.

Deborah ....who really doesn't know enough about this subject and hopes an "expert" will chime in
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down