Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Leaf-Footed bugs Toplef10Leaf-Footed bugs 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Leaf-Footed bugs I22gcj10Leaf-Footed bugs 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Leaf-Footed bugs Toplef10Leaf-Footed bugs 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Leaf-Footed bugs I22gcj10Leaf-Footed bugs 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Leaf-Footed bugs

+6
BeetlesPerSqFt
brianj555
RoOsTeR
has55
sanderson
newbeone
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Leaf-Footed bugs Empty Leaf-Footed bugs

Post  newbeone 6/14/2017, 2:59 pm

They should be called Tomato Bugs Haven't noticed any of them on the squash but they sure like my tomatoes, I've been spraying them at least twice a day and they just keep a coming I think their drawn to the color red, Something else I noticed this year I planted the large Cherry variety , Roma and  Rutgers. The bugs love the cherry and roma but I have not seen one on the Rutgers and they growing right next one another can't tell where one ends and another begins. The difference I see is the cherry and roma tomatoes have a smooth leaf where the Rutgers leaf is fuzzy if that's the case anyone have a suggestion for a smaller fuzzy leafed good tasting tomato.Leaf-Footed bugs Img_2627
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Leaf-Footed bugs Empty Re: Leaf-Footed bugs

Post  sanderson 6/14/2017, 3:23 pm

I find them each year on different plants.  Dustbuster hand vac.  Then empty in a container of soapy water.  I've only seen one this year and got that one with the Dustbuster.  I keep it charged and at the ready by the back door.     One behavior of this pest is that the adults will hang around the nymphs so you can vacuum the whole family if you are fast enough. hiddenID

Last edited by sanderson on 6/15/2017, 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Leaf-Footed bugs Empty RE: Leaf-footed squash bugs

Post  newbeone 6/14/2017, 9:43 pm

Thanks sanderson ! I will have to look for one of them, should be easer on the plants than spraying them all the time.
newbeone
newbeone

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/15/2017, 6:44 pm

newbeone wrote:They should be called Tomato Bugs Haven't noticed any of them on the squash but they sure like my tomatoes, I've been spraying them at least twice a day and they just keep a coming I think their drawn to the color red, Something else I noticed this year I planted the large Cherry variety , Roma and  Rutgers. The bugs love the cherry and roma but I have not seen one on the Rutgers and they growing right next one another can't tell where one ends and another begins. The difference I see is the cherry and roma tomatoes have a smooth leaf where the Rutgers leaf is fuzzy if that's the case anyone have a suggestion for a smaller fuzzy leafed good tasting tomato.Leaf-Footed bugs Img_2627
are you growing squash?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Leaf-Footed bugs Empty RE: Leaf-Footed squash bugs

Post  newbeone 6/16/2017, 4:23 pm

Yes I've had Spaghetti Squash and zucchini I say had thanks to the SVB, I now have Cocozelle Squash and I have another freebie that's doing quite well not sure what it is but it's covered in yellow flowers, time will tell. I done a little more reading on these bugs and they were saying that there is quite a few species of this bug and only a few actually feed on squash plants, so I guess there's my answer.  
I just went out and took a copula picturesLeaf-Footed bugs Img_2628 and while I was out there I noticed a fruit set.
Leaf-Footed bugs Img_2629 Sorry about the wilted look but I'm reading 101* at ground level in my HOT little micro climate.

Last edited by sanderson on 6/18/2017, 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Editted double photos - sanderson)
newbeone
newbeone

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/16/2017, 5:59 pm

they look great. I love squash, but they bring the dreaded squash bug which spreads to my other plants. so I quit growing it.If I had time to search, find and destroy, I would plant it again.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/16/2017, 8:49 pm

has55 wrote:they look great. I love squash, but they bring the dreaded squash bug which spreads to my other plants. so I quit growing it.If I had time to search, find and destroy, I would plant it again.
Check out tromboncino squash. Easily trellised.  Very versatile as a summer and winter squash. And usually not bothered by squash bug. 
It's become one of my favorites.

Leaf-Footed bugs Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/16/2017, 10:33 pm

rooster, how late can you plant it? is it to late for me? I forgot about it. they talked about it last year.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 10/12/2017, 8:12 pm

Will BT kill them and/or the nymphs?
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/12/2017, 10:19 pm

No.  Physical removal is best.  I use a Dustbuster I bought specially for this purpose.  http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74168.html

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 10/13/2017, 8:31 am

sanderson wrote:No.  Physical removal is best.  I use a Dustbuster I bought specially for this purpose.  http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74168.html

Thanks and you were spot on when you mentioned above in this thread about them staying in a family. When I was TRYING to squash the nymphs, the adult appeared almost as if it were trying to protect them. I was able to catch him, but the nymphs were more difficult. Out of a family of twelve, I probably on caught one adult and two juveniles. I understand they are faster in the evening than in the morning, so I will go out early tomorrow and try to locate the rest of them.
I asked about the BT because I wasn't using that when I got rid of a group about a month ago. I was hoping it might help with them. I am presently dealing with a pretty bad infestation of juvenile tobacco/tomato worms. I have not seen any of the larger ones, but lots of very small (1/4") and a few up to an inch. They are still darker color and doing some damage. I've been spraying BT after each rain.

Will my pest problems be reduced some when the weather gets cooler? It is still unseasonably hot here, but we should have relief right around the corner.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 10/13/2017, 9:15 am

My observations in my garden are that each pest has a season. I start seeing the pest, there's a peak, and it tapers off. But every year is a little different, too. Last year I had tons of Japanese beetles; this year, fewer than the past three years. You may well see some of your pest pressure easing up as it cools - but there are likely some pests that have two cycles each year in Mississippi, where as Pennsylvania bugs usually only manage one due to the shorter growing season. I think the second year is easier vs pests in that your local predator population starts to catch up to the increased prey/pests in your garden.

Bt won't work on squash bugs for two reasons. The first is that they aren't caterpillars. The second is that the squash bugs aren't eating the leaves. They suck the juices that are inside the plant - the Bt is on the outside, and they eat little to none of it when they pierce the outside with their mouth parts to get to the inside.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/13/2017, 2:13 pm

As Beetles wrote, each pest seems to have its season, or seasons in mild winter regions. I find the white butterfly/green caterpillar is active all winter. Hence, I cover my winter crops with bridal tulle = no green caterpillars.

I have my late winter starts outdoors and they are just now getting seconds leaves. We are going out of town so I set the 8-packs in a small bed and covered with bridal tulle. I swapped out the drip system (quick couple from Drip Works) for a 3' foot diameter spray mister on timers to keep them alive. Oh, and sprinkled Sluggo Plus in the bed in case there are any sow bugs in there.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 10/13/2017, 3:54 pm

sanderson wrote:As Beetles wrote, each pest seems to have its season, or seasons in mild winter regions. I find the white butterfly/green caterpillar is active all winter. Hence, I cover my winter crops with bridal tulle = no green caterpillars.

I have my late winter starts outdoors and they are just now getting seconds leaves. We are going out of town so I set the 8-packs in a small bed and covered with bridal tulle. I swapped out the drip system (quick couple from Drip Works) for a 3' foot diameter spray mister on timers to keep them alive. Oh, and sprinkled Sluggo Plus in the bed in case there are any sow bugs in there.

Sanderson, do you have or have you posted a pic with the bridal tool over the winter plants. I would like to see how you do it?
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 10/13/2017, 5:38 pm

Too right about those cabbage butterflies, Sanderson. I've been sick for a week, and barely out to the garden between that and the rain. I went out today and found the cabbage caterpillars were all over my collards (I left the cover open on one end. Doh.), what a mess. They don't quite last all winter here in Pennsylvania, but they don't stop at the first freeze, either.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 10/14/2017, 12:39 am

brianj555 wrote:
sanderson wrote:As Beetles wrote, each pest seems to have its season, or seasons in mild winter regions.  I find the white butterfly/green caterpillar is active all winter.  Hence, I cover my winter crops with bridal tulle = no green caterpillars.

I have my late winter starts outdoors and they are just now getting seconds leaves.  We are going out of town so I set the 8-packs in a small bed and covered with bridal tulle.  I swapped out the drip system (quick couple from Drip Works) for a 3' foot diameter spray mister on timers to keep them alive.  Oh, and sprinkled Sluggo Plus in the bed in case there are any sow bugs in there.

Sanderson, do you have or have you posted a pic with the bridal tool over the winter plants.  I would like to see how you do it?
I am sure Sanderson will be around shortly with her pictures.  Here are a few of my pictures using tulle to keep out various pests.

Strawberries
Leaf-Footed bugs Dscn0010

Winter Cole Crops
Leaf-Footed bugs Dscn0110

BroccoliLeaf-Footed bugs Brocco10

Squash
Leaf-Footed bugs Squash10
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/14/2017, 2:11 am

Yolos, your garden always looks so nice!

Brian, I have posted photos so many times in the past that the older members are probably sick of them!  Razz   The frames are interchangeable but for some beds they serve both winter and summer so they are almost permanent.  The frames are used for staking support, bridal tulle, hard freeze protection or heavy rain protection.

Last winter with bridal tulle.  In the spring, I wash, label and store the tulle until the following fall planting. Leaf-Footed bugs Winter10

The general configuration showing the different fittings.  For long beds, 4-way fittings are used for mid-point supports.  Leaf-Footed bugs Frames11

Even the beds that are not used in the winter have short frames.   I top dress with compost for the winter and the red wigglers go to town changing it to fine grains.  If there is too much rain, like last winter, the worms will crawl out of the box, so I cover with plastic if things are getting too wet.  I could also cover with a cotton sheet or weed fabric to keep the wind blown seeds out of the beds.  Last winter the garlic rotted, probably because of all the rain.   Leaf-Footed bugs Frames10

The frames are interchangeable because they are just set in "cup holders" of 1" PVC strapped to the inside. Leaf-Footed bugs Table_10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 10/14/2017, 9:28 am

Sanderson, I for one never tire of seeing photos of your garden and the way you have your table tops and frames set up.  Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 10/14/2017, 3:53 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Sanderson, I for one never tire of seeing photos of your garden and the way you have your table tops and frames set up.  Very Happy
+1, never,never,never, tired of seeing your pictures.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/14/2017, 4:17 pm

Bless you guys.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 10/14/2017, 8:18 pm

Sanderson , do you actually glue the pvc or do you just fit it together so it can be changed around ect ?
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/14/2017, 11:21 pm

Not glued.  I do tie string from vertical to vertical posts on anything that may pull apart do to being oversized or tall.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/3/2018, 9:50 pm

This topic is appropriate at this time of the year.  It was highjacked by the cabbage butterfly / moth, but it is a good time to start watching for these colorful nymphs and their parents.  The leaf-footed bug will stay around their babies so you have a chance to catch the whole family and dump into that little bucket of soapy water.  Not to be confused with the squash bug, the LF bug will visit squash, tomato, cucumber and eggplant, in my personal experience.  I'm charging the Dustbuster to be ready! hiddenID
Leaf-Footed bugs Pest_z10
Leaf-Footed bugs Pest_z11
Leaf-Footed bugs Dust_b10
Leaf-Footed bugs Pest_l10
Leaf-Footed bugs Pest_l11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 6/3/2018, 10:07 pm

I do like your cucumber plants... Very Happy
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/4/2018, 12:31 am

The cucumbers or the decorations? This is from a couple years ago. I grow Muncher and Pickling now, as the Straight 8s were often bitter.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down