Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Beans, what is the matter with them? Toplef10Beans, what is the matter with them? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Beans, what is the matter with them? I22gcj10Beans, what is the matter with them? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Beans, what is the matter with them? Toplef10Beans, what is the matter with them? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Beans, what is the matter with them? I22gcj10Beans, what is the matter with them? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Beans, what is the matter with them?

+3
BeetlesPerSqFt
Scorpio Rising
AlwaysHotinFL
7 posters

Go down

Beans, what is the matter with them? Empty Beans, what is the matter with them?

Post  AlwaysHotinFL 5/29/2017, 10:14 pm

My Pole Beans look like they're contracting the veggie equivalent of peripheral vascular disease, i.e the veins are hardening/browning and the leaves are evening taking on a scaly appearance before falling off. I know this will definitely kill the plant, just trying to see prevention/treatment for next time. 

Background- they get watered for 25 minutes every morning via micro drip irrigation to the roots, and are planted in a raised bed with MM. And oh yeah, i live in scorching hot Florida with no shade cloth (though the issue was first discovered on leaves that were shaded, not sun facing).

Beans, what is the matter with them? Img_5914
Beans, what is the matter with them? Img_5913

Last edited by camprn on 5/30/2017, 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarifying title to reflect the thread content)
AlwaysHotinFL
AlwaysHotinFL

Male Posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Beans, what is the matter with them? Empty Re: Beans, what is the matter with them?

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/29/2017, 10:21 pm

Hmmm....looks like scorch, Beetles?  Sanderson?  Turan?  Camp?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Beans, what is the matter with them? Empty Re: Beans, what is the matter with them?

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 5/30/2017, 7:17 am

I think maybe bugs, some kind that sucks rather than chewing, such as leafhoppers, aphids, garden fleahoppers, maybe spidermites -- check the underside of several leaves. Look for tiny bugs, shed skins, stickiness, and webbing. A mister or spray bottle can help webbing become more visible. Check apparently unaffected leaves, too, since they like to move to fresh ones, and see if there's more evidence of what's going on.

Unfortunately, sometimes bugs visit, infect your plants with a virus, and move on -- so the larger symptoms you are seeing could be a virus rather than directly from bug damage. Do you have a local cooperative extension that can diagnose plant diseases? Stopping the bugs with netting isn't a practical option for pole beans, but looking for a variety that is resistant to the disease(s) your local bugs carry might help.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/30/2017, 10:17 am

what variety of beans have you got there?

In my opinion, what I am seeing in the first photo is nutrient deficiency (either due to improper watering or lack of elements in the growing medium) such as puckering leaves, discoloration and finally, cell death.

I'm not sure about the second photo because some varieties of beans have that silvery coloration as a normal feature.

What have you got them planted in? What did you use to make up the growing medium? How often do you water and is the mulch down on the bed?

Can we get a broader view of the bean plants?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Beans, what is the matter with them? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/30/2017, 1:00 pm

I had that last year on my KY wonder pole beans. The scale even appeared on the fruit about a month after the beans first began appearing. I didn't eat the scaly ones and I never did find out what it was. The crop never recovered.

I'll be following this thread.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/30/2017, 2:46 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:I had that last year on my KY wonder pole beans.  The scale even appeared on the fruit about a month after the beans first began appearing.  I didn't eat the scaly ones and I never did find out what it was.  The crop never recovered.

Hi CC, do you mean to say the plants had scale (an insect) or do you mean something else? Did you get photos of those plants last year?

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Beans, what is the matter with them? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/30/2017, 8:39 pm

OK, reviewing...the 2 pictures look different to me...first one the "issue" is affecting the soft leaf tissue between the vascular bed.  The second pic the vascular bed is affected but not the soft tissue...

So could it be nutrient?  Is it progressive?  Like does it start this way and end up that?  Can we get a little broader shot?  

Or 2 different things?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysHotinFL 5/30/2017, 9:52 pm

My mix is straight MM- 1/3- 5 or 6 kinds of compost, 1/3 peat, 1/3 coarse vermiculite

I think Camprn may be on to something. I looked under the "good" leaves and sure enough there seemed to be some aphids or other critters there. I attached 2 pictures but they might be a little difficult to see as the phone doesn't focus the best. I had been focusing on the cucumbers to their right and the squash to their left, and forgot that beans aren't necessarily bulletproof Wink I also feel like I'm starting to notice the "soft tissue" on my cucumbers being affected as well, could def be the critters. 

As for the veining, it might very well be a distinctive of the variety, as I too am using Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans.
SOO, I went out there an Neemed the crap out of them tonight.

Of course not 30-45 minutes after I did that it started thundering and raining! Weather guy keeps getting it wrong these past couple weeks for us! Im not complaining though, I'll take it!

Pictures for your enjoyment, (Sorry i can't get them to rotate correctly):

1. Further out view as requested. My poor butternut squash on the left has an even worse situation and has almost completely dried up, but thats for another post. You can see all the dieback the beans have been getting and the dropped leaves on empty stems. Beans, what is the matter with them? Image410

2. Slightly closerBeans, what is the matter with them? Image110

3. Little green bug. No clue what it is

Beans, what is the matter with them? Image210

4. Little white bugs, I'm thinking aphids. Previous ones i had were black, but these are white. 
Beans, what is the matter with them? Image310
AlwaysHotinFL
AlwaysHotinFL

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/30/2017, 10:05 pm

On pole beans, the early lower leave eventually die and fall off the vine. That is normal. The puckering is not and could be a virus from the aphids.
Your squash looks like it needs to be fed, (the yellowing leaves). Fertilize.

What kind of composts did you use?

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 5/30/2017, 10:09 pm

check out potato leafhoppers (which also like beans) and see if they match what you are seeing (looks like they could be from the photos to me... but it's very hard to take good pics of tiny bugs without special equipment):
http://extension.umd.edu/growit/insects/potato-leafhopper
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/31/2017, 11:25 am

camprn wrote:
CapeCoddess wrote:I had that last year on my KY wonder pole beans.  The scale even appeared on the fruit about a month after the beans first began appearing.  I didn't eat the scaly ones and I never did find out what it was.  The crop never recovered.

Hi CC, do you mean to say the plants had scale (an insect) or do you mean something else? Did you get photos of those plants last year?

Nope, not scale like bugs.  It was kind of a waxy scale on the beans & stems, and the leaves were messed up and dying.   The photos are here, 5 posts down:
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t19931-new-england-september-2015

My mistake - it was actually 2 yrs ago.  Last years beans didn't grow at all even tho there weren't planted in the same box.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/31/2017, 4:38 pm

My first thought was spider mites. I don't see any typical webbing, though.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/31/2017, 4:54 pm

sanderson wrote:My first thought was spider mites.  I don't see any typical webbing, though.
That is what I thought also.  Picture number 2 the bottom right hand leaves look like spider mite damage.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/31/2017, 5:35 pm

Dr. Bronner's or Neem if the soap doesn't work. I think I have tried non-fat milk, also.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysHotinFL 5/31/2017, 6:03 pm

Definitely had a potato leaf hopper, and like I said probably aphids for the little white ones. I shall neem again when no longer raining. 

My composts:
Black cow
Black hen
Mushroom compost
Miracle grow compost (tractor supply)
Compost from BS Farms in lakeland 

What kind of fertilizer would be helpful?
AlwaysHotinFL
AlwaysHotinFL

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/1/2017, 3:21 am

AlwaysHotinFL wrote:

My composts:
Black cow
Black hen
Mushroom compost
Miracle grow compost (tractor supply)
Compost from BS Farms in lakeland 

What kind of fertilizer would be helpful?
You shouldn't need fertilizer with SFG.  Was the Miracle Grow Compost the Nature's Care Really Good Compost? Normally we just top dress with more blended compost during the season.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum