Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First Time Gardener... can you give me advice? Toplef10First Time Gardener... can you give me advice? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First Time Gardener... can you give me advice? I22gcj10First Time Gardener... can you give me advice? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First Time Gardener... can you give me advice? Toplef10First Time Gardener... can you give me advice? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First Time Gardener... can you give me advice? I22gcj10First Time Gardener... can you give me advice? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

First Time Gardener... can you give me advice?

2 posters

Go down

First Time Gardener... can you give me advice? Empty First Time Gardener... can you give me advice?

Post  Songbird56 5/29/2017, 4:50 pm

Here's my plan. This is to be planted mid June in the Dallas, TX area. Some of it will be planted later according to instructions. I plan to use seedlings, not grow from seed. I'm nervous! Mel Bartholomew says to mix the plants up so I kindof just stuck it in there according to height and shade. There is a tall fence along the north side of this garden (which is why its only 2.5ft) so I can only access from the front (south side). There is also a tall wall and trees on the west side so the west plants (probably 15-7ft) will get evening shade. The rest will have all day sun.
Songbird56
Songbird56

Back to top Go down

First Time Gardener... can you give me advice? Empty Re: First Time Gardener... can you give me advice?

Post  Songbird56 5/29/2017, 5:22 pm

First Time Gardener... can you give me advice? Screen11
Songbird56
Songbird56

Back to top Go down

First Time Gardener... can you give me advice? Empty Re: First Time Gardener... can you give me advice?

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/30/2017, 8:47 pm

Songbird56 wrote:First Time Gardener... can you give me advice? Screen11
Hey!  Welcome songbird56!  So you have a 2.5 x 24 foot bed?  And your orientation is which?  Are the pumpkin watermelon the south end?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  Songbird56 5/30/2017, 9:37 pm

The pumpkin is the east side, lettuce is west.
Songbird56
Songbird56

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/31/2017, 6:24 pm

OK well that is probably helpful with the orientation of the fence, however, with your hot temps, might be nice to have some shade!

Curious; what kind of run do you think you will have with lettuce in June in Texas?  You might want to post a Hello to your region which includes Texas ans ask them what to start now....for example, my Black seeded Simpson lettuce is bolting right now, and I am in Ohio...

Also, are these all things you like to eat?  Are those long green things zucchini?  They produce like crazy, unless you preserve or have a whole squadron to feed, might wanna back that off!  I had squash out the yin yang 2 years ago!  (My first ANSFG!!!)

Also, keep detailed notes!  Year, and plan-result (they are never the same!)

Can't wait to see!First Time Gardener... can you give me advice? 3170584802
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

First Time Gardener... can you give me advice? Empty Thanks!

Post  Songbird56 5/31/2017, 6:28 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:OK well that is probably helpful with the orientation of the fence, however, with your hot temps, might be nice to have some shade!

Curious; what kind of run do you think you will have with lettuce in June in Texas?  You might want to post a Hello to your region which includes Texas ans ask them what to start now....for example, my Black seeded Simpson lettuce is bolting right now, and I am in Ohio...

Also, are these all things you like to eat?  Are those long green things zucchini?  They produce like crazy, unless you preserve or have a whole squadron to feed, might wanna back that off!  I had squash out the yin yang 2 years ago!  (My first ANSFG!!!)

Can't wait to see!:beer chug
Thanks for the reply!
I make alot of zucchini bread and we use them in place of pasta... so we proabably eat 5-10 per week depending on if we have spaghetti or not. We also "zoodle" them up for lunch sautee'd with some soy sauce and diced chicken. YUM!
I dont think I'll plant the lettuce until later in the fall according to the Almanac's instructions for our region. Seems like it will burn if I plant it now.
Songbird56
Songbird56

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/31/2017, 6:32 pm

Songbird56 wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:OK well that is probably helpful with the orientation of the fence, however, with your hot temps, might be nice to have some shade!

Thanks for the reply!
I make alot of zucchini bread and we use them in place of pasta... so we proabably eat 5-10 per week depending on if we have spaghetti or not. We also "zoodle" them up for lunch sautee'd with some soy sauce and diced chicken. YUM!
I dont think I'll plant the lettuce until later in the fall according to the Almanac's instructions for our region. Seems like it will burn if I plant it now.
OK, that makes perfect sense!  How are those zoodles?  Do they remotely remind you of noodles?  I grow patty pans as my summer squash, but have heard of the zucchini noodle craze!  I have room....oh.  Maybe next year!  LOL!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Songbird56 5/31/2017, 6:35 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
Songbird56 wrote:

Thanks for the reply!
OK, that makes perfect sense!  How are those zoodles?  Do they remotely remind you of noodles?  I grow patty pans as my summer squash, but have heard of the zucchini noodle craze!  I have room....oh.  Maybe next year!  LOL!
SOOOOO good... ok, so you cant overcook them or they turn to mush! lol. But if they're still a little raw, we just toss them in spaghetti meat sauce. Yum and yum! Funny thing is if I dice the z, nobody likes it. It's as if they're two different veggies. lol. Makes no sense to me but my family is fickle.
Songbird56
Songbird56

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/1/2017, 8:38 pm

Texture is a funny thing!   LOL!  Thanks for the feedback!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum