Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest: May is here!  2017 - Page 2 Toplef10N&C Midwest: May is here!  2017 - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest: May is here!  2017 - Page 2 I22gcj10N&C Midwest: May is here!  2017 - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest: May is here!  2017 - Page 2 Toplef10N&C Midwest: May is here!  2017 - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest: May is here!  2017 - Page 2 I22gcj10N&C Midwest: May is here!  2017 - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

N&C Midwest: May is here! 2017

+6
nrstooge
Robbomb116
herblover
llama momma
CitizenKate
Scorpio Rising
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

N&C Midwest: May is here!  2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: N&C Midwest: May is here! 2017

Post  CitizenKate 5/10/2017, 11:05 pm

Everything looks good tonight. I took out the diseased plant after finding another spot. Didn't have to think twice, since I had very little invested in that particular plant. There is now a very vigorous Sweet 100 in that spot.

I probably over-dramatized this a bit... this stuff happens all the time. Rolling Eyes
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest: May is here!  2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: N&C Midwest: May is here! 2017

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/12/2017, 11:17 am

CitizenKate wrote:Everything looks good tonight.  I took out the diseased plant after finding another spot.  Didn't have to think twice, since I had very little invested in that particular plant.  There is now a very vigorous Sweet 100 in that spot.

I probably over-dramatized this a bit... this stuff happens all the time.    Rolling Eyes
I enjoy your drama!   LOL!  

I am still waiting, maybe Sunday.  Supposed to be really nice finally.  Cool right now, lows in 40s.  Got the tulle for my kales.  Maybe pick a few leaves....scope out the sprouts.  Gonna check in the basement on the pad to see if melons/squash/cukes up yet....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/15/2017, 7:06 pm

All super hotties (cukes, melons, squash) up and under lights now.  Flowers also germinated.  Sunflowers and nasturtiums.  

Got the herbs and ground cherries planted in containers on the patio, outside my back door.  Handy from kitchen, and honestly neeed the ground cherries up off the ground....ha.

Tomatoes and peppers waiting on me to finish the new 3x7 I have sited and assembled in the yard for Mother's Day!  Just needs MM.  So will probably in reality be this coming weekend.  Just too much work, time etc. to pile onto the end of my work day.  

My 18 (!!!!!!!) tomatoes will take up most of that box, and therefore will need to be creative about the peppers!  Hotties will be OK, because of timing.  

Why do I have 18 tomato plants?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 5/16/2017, 9:02 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:
Why do I have 18 tomato plants?

I would imagine it would be because you like tomatoes.
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 364

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/16/2017, 10:14 am

18 tomato plants ... that's going to produce and abundant crop!

So far I'm planning on just 6 tomato plants ... 2 each of Brandywine, Roma and Sweet Million. But I have 13 good sized transplants available plus a whole bunch of much smaller ones. Me thinks the neighbours will benefit from some free transplants.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/16/2017, 1:14 pm

trolleydriver wrote:18 tomato plants ... that's going to produce and abundant crop!
I wish that were true for me. I'm lucky to get 1 tomato from 18 plants. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/16/2017, 3:52 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
I'm lucky to get 1 tomato from 18 plants. Sad

The first year I did SFG I ran out of MM ingredients so used straight almost finished compost in the last box.  In it I planted the leggy half dead Sungold tomatoes that I bought at a distress sale at the Job Lot (6 pk for $1).  They were the best performers in my whole garden that year.  The fruits hung off them like bunches of grapes.  I've never had that happen since.  

If you have some extra compost, maybe you could plant one of your toms in that just for an experiment.  Shoot, maybe *I'LL* try it again.
What a Face
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 5/16/2017, 5:37 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Why do I have 18 tomato plants?
Probably some or all of the same reasons I have a few more than that (I think....I'm not quite sure... I'm scared to count):
 - have got to try these new to me varieties I saw in the catalog
 - have got to try these new to me varieties forum/friends/family recommended
 - have to have at least one cherry, one paste, one beefsteak, one salad, one red, one pink, one yellow, one green, one purple, one black, one early, one mid, one late....
 - have to keep growing these old favorites
 - have to plant a few extra in case some don't germinate
 - have to plant a few extra in case of blight, etc.
 - have to plant a few extra for canning/dehydrating
 - have to plant one more extra in case the sphinx moths need a nursery plant for their plump green babies (yeah, I might be alone on that one, it's ok.)
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/16/2017, 6:21 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Probably some or all of the same reasons I have a few more than that (I think....I'm not quite sure... I'm scared to count):
 - have got to try these new to me varieties I saw in the catalog
 - have got to try these new to me varieties forum/friends/family recommended
 - have to have at least one cherry, one paste, one beefsteak, one salad, one red, one pink, one yellow, one green, one purple, one black, one early, one mid, one late....
 - have to keep growing these old favorites
 - have to plant a few extra in case some don't germinate
 - have to plant a few extra in case of blight, etc.
 - have to plant a few extra for canning/dehydrating
 - have to plant one more extra in case the sphinx moths need a nursery plant for their plump green babies (yeah, I might be alone on that one, it's ok.)
EXACTLY!  That is it!  Thanks, Beetles.  

Robbomb, yes I do love tomatoes!  A lot!  They are in every meal at peak season, and then some!

TD, I wish some of my neighbors gardened.  They will surely benefit either way with the freebies!

CN, I think CC has had an epiphany!  The most productive squash I had last summer was a volunteer that his out in my compost pile...
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/16/2017, 8:44 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Katie and I raised a batch of them for granddaughter's preschool. She got yelled at by one of the parents, who's a local farmer growing tomatoes to sell.  Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/16/2017, 10:09 pm

Haha!  I have 18, too, I actually planned for that many, and I'm still asking the same question.  Beetles pretty much summed it up for me, too.

trolleydriver wrote:
So far I'm planning on just 6 tomato plants ... 2 each of Brandywine, Roma and Sweet Million. But I have 13 good sized transplants available plus a whole bunch of much smaller ones. Me thinks the neighbours will benefit from some free transplants.
I've got a regular group of people I offer my extras to every year.  I never seem to have any trouble finding good homes for them, where they will be loved and nurtured.

countrynaturals wrote:I wish that were true for me. I'm lucky to get 1 tomato from 18 plants. Sad
I've had some years like that.  Sad

CapeCoddess wrote:
The first year I did SFG I ran out of MM ingredients so used straight almost finished compost in the last box.  In it I planted the leggy half dead Sungold tomatoes that I bought at a distress sale at the Job Lot (6 pk for $1).  They were the best performers in my whole garden that year.  The fruits hung off them like bunches of grapes.  I've never had that happen since.  

If you have some extra compost, maybe you could plant one of your toms in that just for an experiment.  Shoot, maybe *I'LL* try it again.
What a Face
Hmmm.... interesting observation.  I'll get back to y'all on this one.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/16/2017, 10:25 pm

Very Happy Yah....all of this.......
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 5/17/2017, 7:26 am

countrynaturals wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Katie and I raised a batch of them for granddaughter's preschool. She got yelled at by one of the parents, who's a local farmer growing tomatoes to sell.  Sad
Aww. I'm sorry to hear that. I would have thought that the farmer would already need to protect his tomatoes from them: it's not like you were introducing a foreign new pest that he was going to need to do something differently for. Maybe he was worried that classroom hornworms would get an education. Nelson Mandela has said "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/17/2017, 11:26 am

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Maybe he was worried that classroom hornworms would get an education. 

YIKES! Next somebody will start selling them guns. Then what? affraid
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/17/2017, 9:24 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Maybe he was worried that classroom hornworms would get an education. 

YIKES! Next somebody will start selling them guns. Then what? affraid
Ugly...very very ugly....lol

That is just silly.  If this guy is legit, he knows how to handle the common pest!!!!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 5/18/2017, 12:36 pm

Well my last frost date is this weekend, but lows are still pretty consistently in the high 30s, low 40s.  Take it I should wait a little while yet to transplant peppers, tomatoes, and eggplants?
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 364

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/18/2017, 6:54 pm

Robbomb116 wrote:Well my last frost date is this weekend, but lows are still pretty consistently in the high 30s, low 40s.  Take it I should wait a little while yet to transplant peppers, tomatoes, and eggplants?
I would, Rob.  Just to be on the safe side.  The average FFD is just that.  There are cyclical differences.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/20/2017, 10:10 am

The weekend has arrived, so has cool and rainy weather....oh well.  Will do what I can! Gonna get some Naprosyn on board, and get my flowers in, then move to the empty 3x7 this afternoon when I can get a hand with the compost pile and tarp to mix the MM.  Need some peat, have everything else...

Then in go my maters and peppers.  

In the basement under lights are the squash, cukes and melons.  Might give them another week, they will need to harden off.  

Also need to pick up more stakes, since I kinda went cray cray with the tomatoes...cyclops
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/20/2017, 5:59 pm

My eyes are always bigger than my stomach...got 1/3 of the flowers in.  That is it.  Rain.  

Zero in 3x7, and nothing in the containers around the patio.  

Tomorrow, rain....have to go shopping with my kid so no planting tomorrow unless it is just a hit or miss thing

Super windy still.....has been since forever.  Interesting.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/20/2017, 6:55 pm

Same here... the planting has dragged on forever, it seems. I've still got 4 pepper plants and 4 tomato plants waiting on their containers, which I'm finally finishing up on today. So glad I won't have to do this again for (hopefully) a good many years.

Don't think I'll be able to get them planted yet today, and tomorrow I'll be out at the state park with friends most of the day, so there goes this weekend for me, too. Those poor plants are getting so root-bound in those little pots. I really wish I'd started on the conainers sooner...

Weather-wise, we had a lot of rain and a few tornado warnings Wednesday and Thursday. One tornado passed about 20 miles to the west of us. Everyone was outside with beers and smartphones pointed up to the sky. Laughing Suffice it to say, not much work got done in the garden this week, but at least the rain barrels are full again, and I didn't have to do much watering.

Everything in the SFG beds is growing like crazy! The lettuce is bolting earlier this year than it did last year, but I've never had better yields. The bridal tulle cages really keep them protected from all kinds of perils.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/21/2017, 9:58 pm

Yes!  Agree!  The stuff that is in is going gangbusters!  Got a bunch of lettuce, and a few scout this morning.  

Just too wet.  I need to get the MM in that new box, the grass is trying valiantly to grow despite the cardboard....dang it.  

Thinned radishes, turnips and beets.  Peas in their way.  Volunteer potato out there!  Yay!

May take a half day off tomorrow.  Gotta get this stuff in.....and my pool happening, it is mostly rain at the moment, which is good!  It is clear!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/22/2017, 9:27 am

Took a vacation day to get my garden and pool in shape....my tomatoes are falling over!  Getting ready to have a bagel and run to the garden store for peat and stakes for the falling tomatoes....lol!

Finally no rain....very wet out there though!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  nrstooge 5/23/2017, 12:40 pm

Went to purchase more containers for the last 2 patio princess tomatoes, but then I purchased a beefsteak, pepper and kale plant from my CSA farmer - soooo.. back to the store I go for more stuff for mix and containers for my last 2 tomatoes, carrots, and green beans.. sigh.. on the good side, my patio is very full and I'm loving it.  (debating on moving the beefsteak to the ground by my patio - but they tend to spray week killer around (grrr) and use that pot for the smaller patio tomatoes (it is large enough for 2)

Radishes can share a pot with the cucumber and why I put some lettuce in the nice pot I put the carrots in last year is beyond me.. may find a few window boxes (deep enough for the lettuce) and transplant since they have about 4 smallish leaves right now and are due for a thinning) 

I really end up growing enough for a few meals, but I love it - and it is better than nothing.  The planters block the view of license plates/cars as well so makes sitting out there a bit more pleasureable. 

I have a tabletop bed on my Christmas wish list as it would fit and I could really grow some things out there then and SFG to my hearts content Very Happy
nrstooge
nrstooge

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/23/2017, 8:14 pm

nrstooge wrote:Went to purchase more containers for the last 2 patio princess tomatoes, but then I purchased a beefsteak, pepper and kale plant from my CSA farmer - soooo.. back to the store I go for more stuff for mix and containers for my last 2 tomatoes, carrots, and green beans.. sigh.. on the good side, my patio is very full and I'm loving it.  (debating on moving the beefsteak to the ground by my patio - but they tend to spray week killer around (grrr) and use that pot for the smaller patio tomatoes (it is large enough for 2)

Radishes can share a pot with the cucumber and why I put some lettuce in the nice pot I put the carrots in last year is beyond me.. may find a few window boxes (deep enough for the lettuce) and transplant since they have about 4 smallish leaves right now and are due for a thinning) 

I really end up growing enough for a few meals, but I love it - and it is better than nothing.  The planters block the view of license plates/cars as well so makes sitting out there a bit more pleasureable. 

I have a tabletop bed on my Christmas wish list as it would fit and I could really grow some things out there then and SFG to my hearts content Very Happy
Haha!  I know how you feel!  Buyers remorse, but you wo't think that in August when you have your first "real". BLT!  With that actual, summer tomato....

And yes, what ever you can grow is something real that you know how it was sourced. Not so much at the grocery...these days, anyways.  

TT for Christmas?  Hmmmm🤔
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  nrstooge 5/24/2017, 9:09 am

Hopefully these post, but here is my patio so far - I've 2 more levels on the white tower so lettuce will get transplanted.. I think from the turquoise pot so I have that for carrots and I have a ceramic strawberry pot for more lettuce/kale, the cucumber will go in with the peas or radishes - I've still got a patio princess tomato and another tumbling tom (there is one inside the snap peas that are growing up the one cage. 

N&C Midwest: May is here!  2017 - Page 2 18622468_10156237258976038_7927349920127867127_nN&C Midwest: May is here!  2017 - Page 2 18619943_10156237259271038_8065178400119852573_nN&C Midwest: May is here!  2017 - Page 2 18582051_10156237259251038_3212001942548655498_n
nrstooge
nrstooge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum