Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atl - Apr 2017 - April Showers bring . . .  Toplef10Mid-Atl - Apr 2017 - April Showers bring . . .  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atl - Apr 2017 - April Showers bring . . .  I22gcj10Mid-Atl - Apr 2017 - April Showers bring . . .  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atl - Apr 2017 - April Showers bring . . .  Toplef10Mid-Atl - Apr 2017 - April Showers bring . . .  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atl - Apr 2017 - April Showers bring . . .  I22gcj10Mid-Atl - Apr 2017 - April Showers bring . . .  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mid-Atl - Apr 2017 - April Showers bring . . .

5 posters

Go down

Mid-Atl - Apr 2017 - April Showers bring . . .  Empty Mid-Atl - Apr 2017 - April Showers bring . . .

Post  sfg4uKim 3/31/2017, 7:03 pm

Have you started planting yet? If so, what's out now? Anything left over from your fall/winter garden? What do you plan to grow this year? Anything new?

I've started peas and have had to throw some plastic over them a couple times, but they look good.

I still have kale and garlic that was planted in the fall.

I'm really behind in my planning, but of course tomatoes.

New things are cardoons and ground cherries.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Mid-Atl - Apr 2017 - April Showers bring . . .  WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl - Apr 2017 - April Showers bring . . .  Empty Re: Mid-Atl - Apr 2017 - April Showers bring . . .

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 3/31/2017, 8:21 pm

Mud. April showers bring mud. Mad I need more woodchips for my garden paths.

I have started planting - more inside than out. The seedlings outside just got true leaves - lettuces, mustards, edible chrysanthemum, and komatsuna. The indoor seedlings are outpacing them. The weather isn't cooperating with hardening off - can't slowly acclimate to full sun if there isn't any... The peas (and favas and chickpeas) will go in this weekend.

I've got half my tomatoes started, and a few of my eggplants and peppers have hatched. I've got a huge batch of things to start this weekend, including the other half of the tomatoes - and redoing the two from the first batch that are being stubborn.

I still have collards, leeks, perennial herbs, and the greens I overwintered low-tunnel style. The kale is still out there, but looking poorly. The garlic that got plastic for a few days is mostly up through the mulch, the garlic that did not is probably just barely up underneath its straw mulch. I figured I'd wait until after these cold rains.

I'm trying many new varieties of plants I've grown before - lots of different tomatoes, peppers, basils, lettuces; tromboncino squash....
But all new plants this year are: wintercress, chickweed, "dandelion" (actually a chicory type), Hon Tsai Tai, Tokyo Bekana, sorrel, parsley root, stinging nettle, musho, and balangu. I'm also retrying shiso, orach, ice lettuce (not an actual lettuce), fenugreek, and saltwort, which I attempted but failed last year.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl - Apr 2017 - April Showers bring . . .  Empty Re: Mid-Atl - Apr 2017 - April Showers bring . . .

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/31/2017, 9:00 pm

Beetles, why are you intentionally growing stinging nettles?  I have some you can have!  All your other new stuff sounds so exotic!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 3/31/2017, 9:31 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Beetles, why are you intentionally growing stinging nettles?  I have some you can have!  All your other new stuff sounds so exotic!
The CSA I used to use offered stinging nettles as part the spring shares. I was really nervous about trying them the first time, and making sure I cooked them enough to kill the sting (it actually doesn't take long)... but I quite enjoyed them, enough that I miss them. They are even quite healthful. If you've got them, and they are still young/short you should give them a try. Use gloves to harvest and prep (chop), and give them a quick cook.
https://www.diynatural.com/stinging-nettle-how-to-identify-harvest-and-eat/
They are a bit like spinach, but less... metallic? and more... bright? acidic? herby?

Admittedly, I'm probably going to sow the nettles back by the creek (it looks like the sort of place they'd grow naturally), and not in my SFG where I might bump into them!

Mostly it's "weeds" and Asian herbs/vegetables. The balangu is from Baker Creek:
http://www.rareseeds.com/balangu-lallemantia-royleana-mountain-balm/
This is probably silly, but I felt sorry for it - it has no reviews, it feels like no one has given it a chance. So I figured I'd give it a go.  ... And either I got the last one, or others felt the same way as it appears to be out of stock now.
The musho is a subtropical plant (so an annual for me, though it can grow as a perennial) related to tomatillos and ground cherries. I like them, so I wanted to try it. I think I've had one of the two I sowed germinate... but there's also a similar looking mystery seedling that appeared from the same potting mix batch, so I'm concerned/confused. 
For the both the balangu and musho I'm going on very little - no idea what's good for germinating, growing, planting spacing... I'm exploring! Smile
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 4/11/2017, 7:40 pm

Last week I planted seeds of sugar snap peas, carrots, four types of lettuce and transplanted brussel sprouts and broccoli.
In two weeks I will plant more lettuce seeds.

Indoor I have sweet peppers, hot peppers and heirloom tomatos along with hybrid tomato plants growing under lights until they can be planted in the garden.

Mid-Atl - Apr 2017 - April Showers bring . . .  2636062189
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 4/11/2017, 9:52 pm

Peas, lettuce, spinach, and carrots planted by seed.   Also planted 48 bare root strawberry plants today to replace my old plants (3'x4' box).  Those strawberry plants gave me 4 years of harvest.....totaling about 50 pounds of strawberries.  Not bad.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum