Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 Toplef10N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 I22gcj10N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 Toplef10N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 I22gcj10N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

N & C Midwest: March 2017 Brink of Spring

+8
countrynaturals
sanderson
CapeCoddess
BeetlesPerSqFt
herblover
CitizenKate
trolleydriver
Scorpio Rising
12 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 Empty Re: N & C Midwest: March 2017 Brink of Spring

Post  sanderson 3/22/2017, 2:51 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 Img_0016

My shelving unit in the basement, kids' Christmas gift last Christmas!
Sweet!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 Empty Re: N & C Midwest: March 2017 Brink of Spring

Post  herblover 3/22/2017, 11:45 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:
herblover wrote:
CitizenKate wrote:I was hoping I just got an odd batch of them, or maybe someone knows a trick or two to make them more fiery.
I grow jalapenos every other year because I freeze so many!  They produce really well in my SFG!
No reliable tricks, but if the summer weather is hotter and drier they tend to be hotter as the capsaicin concentrates in the fruit.
How do you freeze them, herb?
Just throw them in a freezer bag whole; no blanching or anything.  Perfectly good for any use; even in a fresh salad diced, while the texture isn't like a fresh one, I use them in such a small amount it doesn't matter.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/22/2017, 8:13 pm

Wow, my kind of preserving!  Throw in a bag and freeze!  LOL!  Thanks, herblover!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/22/2017, 8:15 pm

No cilantro or parsley...I dont' think of them as picky germinators.  Will re-seed.  Might get a break this weekend to put in my sugar snaps, radishes, and some spinach seeds...will see!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 3/22/2017, 9:12 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Well, all peppers are up except the coveted Mini Belle Mix.  Figures.  Next weekend tomatoes.  Most herbs up too.
I've now got 3 of my 10 pepper plants that I've started so far showing up now.

I started putting tomato seeds into water last night. That's when I noticed I was almost out of Celebrity... ran to the local store where I always buy those, and others, and... "We don't have any this year." WHA.....???? So then I drove to three other stores, and NOBODY in town has them. What is up with that? Was there some kind of massive crop failure? I ended up ordering more from Totally Tomato, but it'll probably be another week before they get here. Sheesh. I guess next year I'll just order everything from the seed catalogs and skip local retail.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/23/2017, 9:09 pm

CitizenKate wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Well, all peppers are up except the coveted Mini Belle Mix.  Figures.  Next weekend tomatoes.  Most herbs up too.
I've now got 3 of my 10 pepper plants that I've started so far showing up now.

I started putting tomato seeds into water last night.  That's when I noticed I was almost out of Celebrity... ran to the local store where I always buy those, and others, and... "We don't have any this year."  WHA.....????  So then I drove to three other stores, and NOBODY in town has them.  What is up with that?  Was there some kind of massive crop failure?  I ended up ordering more from Totally Tomato, but it'll probably be another week before they get here.  Sheesh.  I guess next year I'll just order everything from the seed catalogs and skip local retail.
No Celebrity?  That is nuts!  That is a staple mater...

Also good news, you and me, Kate:  third Mini Belle Mix is barely up...so late bloomer...really want those.  Had 3 of those crunchy super sweet baby belles for lunch, just so delish!  

Hope to get out there this weekend, work the compost pile, figure out what goes where.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 3/23/2017, 10:11 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:

Also good news, you and me, Kate:  third Mini Belle Mix is barely up...so late bloomer...really want those.  Had 3 of those crunchy super sweet baby belles for lunch, just so delish!  

Hope to get out there this weekend, work the compost pile, figure out what goes where.
Good, I'll know to be patient while waiting for them to come up.  I now have 8 of 10 of my pepper plants appearing out of the mix.

Some of my tomato seeds are already sprouting, so I'll start putting them into growing mix starting tomorrow.  Still waiting to see if the Paul Robeson seeds I gathered from last year's harvest are going to sprout.  I thought I saw one with the beginnings of a little root, but, really, still a little too early to tell for sure.

After my experience searching for Celebrity tomato seeds, I'm kinda digging this heirloom seed saving idea.  Speaking of which... I contacted Lake Valley Seed, and they informed me that they were unable to acquire any Celebrity tomato seeds this year.  It's kinda sounding like there may be some kind of shortage this year.  Never thought I'd be wondering how I could produce hybrid seed... ("No, Kate.  Just.  No. ")
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/24/2017, 9:04 pm

CitizenKate wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:

Good, I'll know to be patient while waiting for them to come up.  I now have 8 of 10 of my pepper plants appearing out of the mix.

Some of my tomato seeds are already sprouting, so I'll start putting them into growing mix starting tomorrow.  Still waiting to see if the Paul Robeson seeds I gathered from last year's harvest are going to sprout.  I thought I saw one with the beginnings of a little root, but, really, still a little too early to tell for sure.

After my experience searching for Celebrity tomato seeds, I'm kinda digging this heirloom seed saving idea.  Speaking of which... I contacted Lake Valley Seed, and they informed me that they were unable to acquire any Celebrity tomato seeds this year.  It's kinda sounding like there may be some kind of shortage this year.  Never thought I'd be wondering how I could produce hybrid seed... ("No, Kate.  Just.  No. ")
Hahaha, (Diabolical laughing in the background...). Weird.  If I see Celebrity in y area, I will PM you...or even if I see starts...I could grow one and get seeds?  My "paste" this year is gonna be Rutgers, unless like last year I had 2 gifted foster babies...that were amazing I might add N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 3170584802
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 3/24/2017, 11:36 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
Hahaha, (Diabolical laughing in the background...). Weird.  If I see Celebrity in y area, I will PM you...or even if I see starts...I could grow one and get seeds?  My "paste" this year is gonna be Rutgers, unless like last year I had 2 gifted foster babies...that were amazing I might add N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 3170584802
Oh, the plot thickens... I sent a message to the store where I usually get my Lake Valley seeds through their website, expressing my disappointment at not being able to get any Celebrity tomato seeds, and having to order, and don't know now if they'll be ready on time, etc. (This was before I realized they just couldn't get them.) Today I got a phone message from the manager who said she knew Kaw Valley (a local greenhouse) raises Celebrity tomatoes, and buys their seeds in bulk. She said she thought they still had some, offered to go get some from them, and have them at the store for me to pick up, so I would have enough seeds in time. Now that's going above and beyond. Forget what I said earlier about skipping local retail. Embarassed

Lake Valley also said that for 2017, they offer another tomato hybrid called "Celebration bush" which is supposed to be very similar to the Celebrity. The lady who wrote me offered to send me a packet of them to try. Well, sure, who can say no to a free packet of tomato seeds? I'm kinda glad now I spoke up.

I have Rutgers this year, too. The ones I grew before didn't do very well, but the few tomatoes I did get from them were very good. I do things a little differently now, so I'm giving them another chance. I'd really love to make them work for me. And - they're heirloom!
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/25/2017, 11:22 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:No cilantro or parsley...I dont' think of them as picky germinators.  Will re-seed.  Might get a break this weekend to put in my sugar snaps, radishes, and some spinach seeds...will see!
I still have only one tiny pepper start, barely 1/2 inch high, still with its little seed cap on. These guys are on the heating pad, with lights on all day. Cilantro, beefsteak tomatoes, and oregano are in there, too, and they're doing slightly better, but nothing seems very happy. Sad Even fake spring isn't happening, here.  Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/25/2017, 8:00 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:No cilantro or parsley...I dont' think of them as picky germinators.  Will re-seed.  Might get a break this weekend to put in my sugar snaps, radishes, and some spinach seeds...will see!
I still have only one tiny pepper start, barely 1/2 inch high, still with its little seed cap on. These guys are on the heating pad, with lights on all day. Cilantro, beefsteak tomatoes, and oregano are in there, too, and they're doing slightly better, but nothing seems very happy. Sad Even fake spring isn't happening, here.  Rolling Eyes
I did get to re-seed my cilantro and parsley.  Also seeded all tomatoes, ground cherries.  Re-seeded some Space spinach, and brought the leaves up from the basement.  Romanesco also.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/25/2017, 8:05 pm

CitizenKate wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:
Oh, the plot thickens...  I sent a message to the store where I usually get my Lake Valley seeds through their website, expressing my disappointment at not being able to get any Celebrity tomato seeds, and having to order, and don't know now if they'll be ready on time, etc.  (This was before I realized they just couldn't get them.)  Today I got a phone message from the manager who said she knew Kaw Valley (a local greenhouse) raises Celebrity tomatoes, and buys their seeds in bulk.  She said she thought they still had some, offered to go get some from them, and have them at the store for me to pick up, so I would have enough seeds in time.  Now that's going above and beyond.  Forget what I said earlier about skipping local retail.  Embarassed

Lake Valley also said that for 2017, they offer another tomato hybrid called "Celebration bush" which is supposed to be very similar to the Celebrity.  The lady who wrote me offered to send me a packet of them to try.  Well, sure, who can say no to a free packet of tomato seeds?  I'm kinda glad now I spoke up.

I have Rutgers this year, too.  The ones I grew before didn't do very well, but the few tomatoes I did get from them were very good.  I do things a little differently now, so I'm giving them another chance.  I'd really love to make them work for me.  And - they're heirloom!
I planted a few Mixed Heirloom Tomatoes, not sure who from?  Nice little baggie, with neat Sharpie printing....because I only had one Oxheart seed left from Little Sapphire.  Gonna take a chance!  I have never grown Rutgers or Celebrity from seed...hoping my mystery mix will have a paste-type.  I am gonna roll with it!

Glad your local vendor came through...mine did too, on the extra coarse vermiculite.  They had to order it special for me, but the price was the same, so I went with them.  They are just getting to know about SFGing...through, me!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 3/26/2017, 10:13 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:
I planted a few Mixed Heirloom Tomatoes, not sure who from?  Nice little baggie, with neat Sharpie printing....because I only had one Oxheart seed left from Little Sapphire.  Gonna take a chance!  I have never grown Rutgers or Celebrity from seed...hoping my mystery mix will have a paste-type.  I am gonna roll with it!

Glad your local vendor came through...mine did too, on the extra coarse vermiculite.  They had to order it special for me, but the price was the same, so I went with them.  They are just getting to know about SFGing...through, me!
I'm just OCD enough to want to really know the exact cultivar I'm planting. Last year, I bought a couple of packs of kale seed that was labelled "Blue Dwarf Curled Vates"... about 6 weeks into the season, I realized, hey, these aren't curly! Looked again at the photo on the seed pack, and sure enough, what was in the pack was something entirely else. Most likely a Siberian. It was good, and I'm still growing it, but I had to go out and get a pack of the real Blue Dwarf Curled Vates before my garden plan was complete.

Every time I mention Square Foot Gardening at the local garden center, they look at me like I'm from another planet. They are heavily steeped in traditional gardening methods, and any mention of SFG throws up a wall of cognitive dissonance, and they just want to give me lots of advice on how to do gardening "the right way". I still enjoy doing business with them, but I don't mention SFG much any more.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/26/2017, 7:01 pm

CitizenKate wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:

I'm just OCD enough to want to really know the exact cultivar I'm planting.  Last year, I bought a couple of packs of kale seed that was labelled "Blue Dwarf Curled Vates"... about 6 weeks into the season, I realized, hey, these aren't curly!  Looked again at the photo on the seed pack, and sure enough, what was in the pack was something entirely else.  Most likely a Siberian.  It was good, and I'm still growing it, but I had to go out and get a pack of the real Blue Dwarf Curled Vates before my garden plan was complete.

Every time I mention Square Foot Gardening at the local garden center, they look at me like I'm from another planet.  They are heavily steeped in traditional gardening methods, and any mention of SFG throws up a wall of cognitive dissonance, and they just want to give me lots of advice on how to do gardening "the right way".  I still enjoy doing business with them, but I don't mention SFG much any more.
I know, I have never grown a grab bag assortment before!  I too am a bit OCD about what exactly I am growing....but a mistakenly marked cherry tomato at the nursery was how I found my beloved Sungold!  LOL!

My local nursery gets what SFG is, but they don't do it.  At least they go a long with me when I get crazy about compost types, etc.  Warmish and rainish here today...might get some seeds started outside here this weekend!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 3/26/2017, 11:54 pm

It was chilly and rainy here today, but I managed to get a bunch of new stuff out into the beds today.

N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 17032610

N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 17032618

N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 17032619

N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 17032620

N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 17032621

N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 17032622

N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 17032623

N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 17032624
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/27/2017, 10:11 pm

Nice assortment, Kate!  Hoping to do the same this weekend....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/28/2017, 3:54 am

CitizenKate wrote:Every time I mention Square Foot Gardening at the local garden center, they look at me like I'm from another planet.  They are heavily steeped in traditional gardening methods, and any mention of SFG throws up a wall of cognitive dissonance, and they just want to give me lots of advice on how to do gardening "the right way".
Yes! rofl

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/28/2017, 12:41 pm

sanderson wrote:
CitizenKate wrote:Every time I mention Square Foot Gardening at the local garden center, they look at me like I'm from another planet.  They are heavily steeped in traditional gardening methods, and any mention of SFG throws up a wall of cognitive dissonance, and they just want to give me lots of advice on how to do gardening "the right way".
 Yes!  rofl
They should see the way I garden.  affraid
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/28/2017, 9:25 pm

study cheers N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 3170584802
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 3/28/2017, 10:38 pm

I think when I get everything going good, I'm going to shoot some photos to take to them.  That aughta pop a few synapses!   Twisted Evil
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 3/28/2017, 10:46 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Nice assortment, Kate!  Hoping to do the same this weekend....
I've got a little more variety in the lettuce section this year.  The Red Sails is growing crazy fast and is spectacular, and the Bibb was a nice surprise, too.  The Sea of Red (the tiny crimson red ones)... nice color, but too early to tell.  It's growing more slowly than the others, but I'm sure it will be nice... when you can finally even see it.

Can't wait to see the photos from your big planting weekend!
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/29/2017, 2:57 pm

Kate, don't wait until later. Take photos now and again in a few weeks. Wink

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/29/2017, 7:21 pm

CitizenKate wrote:I think when I get everything going good, I'm going to shoot some photos to take to them.  That aughta pop a few synapses!    Twisted Evil
Ooooo, really good idea, Kate!  It will pop some synapses for sure!  "Here is what I have growing in this 4x4...."

Love it.  I am in.  LOCAL REVOLUTION!  Turn your local nursery on to SFG with PICTURES!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/29/2017, 7:25 pm

CitizenKate wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Nice assortment, Kate!  Hoping to do the same this weekend....
I've got a little more variety in the lettuce section this year.  The Red Sails is growing crazy fast and is spectacular, and the Bibb was a nice surprise, too.  The Sea of Red (the tiny crimson red ones)... nice color, but too early to tell.  It's growing more slowly than the others, but I'm sure it will be nice... when you can finally even see it.

Can't wait to see the photos from your big planting weekend!
Me too, I have lots more variety in my lettuces...last year, I had Matchless and Black Seeded Simpson.  This year, I added to those Marvel of 4, Green Ice, Flashy Butter Oak, and All Year Round.  I love lettuce.  So ephemeral.  Sigh.

Also added to the spinach section Space and Gingante de Inverno, and Bloomsdale (not) longstanding.  But Gigante already sort of bolted in the freaking cell!!!  Guess I need to move quicker on that baby.  LOL!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 3/30/2017, 7:34 pm

If It would stop raining I could get some work done in the spring garden.  Here are a few pics of whats going well and not so well.

carrots from a late fall plantingN & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 Carrot10

spring lettuceN & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 Lettuc12

spring lettuceN & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 Lettuc11

spring lettuceN & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 Lettuc13

spring napa cabbageN & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 Napa10

spring onions (Candy)N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 Onions10

pepper seedlings have been dying...a few each day...some at soil level and some at the top like these.N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 Pepper12

pepper seedlings hanging on...about all I have left from two flats of 72.N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 Pepper13

Cortena spinach (germinated Kate method)...with a little squirrel damageN & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 Spinac14

spinach from last fall...plastic fencing to protect squares of sugar peas from squirrels...live trap for squirrels.N & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 Spinac15

tomato seedlingsN & C Midwest:  March 2017 Brink of Spring - Page 4 Tomato13
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next