Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 37 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 37 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 37 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 37 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List!
by markqz Yesterday at 2:09 pm

» Update on Marie's mom
by Kelejan Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Serrano Peppers
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing October to December 2019
by Kelejan Yesterday at 7:02 am

» Homemade Christmas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:22 am

» Grapefruit
by countrynaturals 12/8/2019, 6:25 pm

» Sanderson - On the Road
by countrynaturals 12/8/2019, 5:27 pm

» Container Gardening
by countrynaturals 12/8/2019, 10:08 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 12/8/2019, 10:03 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 12/8/2019, 7:25 am

» Potato Seeds, not Seed Potatoes
by Dan in Ct 12/8/2019, 6:20 am

» Hydrogen Peroxide
by has55 12/8/2019, 3:50 am

» New England, December, 2019
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 5:07 pm

» Steam canning?
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 4:47 pm

» De Jours 18 Radish
by markqz 12/7/2019, 4:11 pm

» Gardening Life hack - fixing bucket handles
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 4:05 pm

» Is this the right place?
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 3:30 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by donnainzone5 12/7/2019, 12:47 pm

» ROOKIE TOPIC XVII Seed Starting Dates
by countrynaturals 12/7/2019, 12:15 am

» TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer
by Scorpio Rising 12/6/2019, 8:37 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 12/6/2019, 1:23 pm

» Bee Balm
by countrynaturals 12/6/2019, 9:34 am

» Hi I’m new
by AtlantaMarie 12/6/2019, 6:47 am

» Friday Rookie Topic XIV: Potato Onions
by countrynaturals 12/5/2019, 8:03 pm

» Mid-South: December
by sanderson 12/5/2019, 2:30 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/5/2019, 12:58 pm

» What are your best Greenhouse tips for a first timer?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2019, 10:54 am

» new member needs help
by Dan in Ct 12/5/2019, 9:56 am

» Brand new in SW Idaho
by AtlantaMarie 12/5/2019, 8:48 am

» What, no French Fries?
by Kelejan 12/5/2019, 6:19 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 37 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/16/2019, 9:29 am

It all sounds great, plantoid!  

No thanks, TD!!!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7208

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 37 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  sanderson on 3/19/2019, 8:17 pm

Brave TD. Shocked

Purple broccoli. It's starting to bolt as the weather has been in the 80s for 3 days.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 18489

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 37 Empty Asparagus

Post  countrynaturals on 4/16/2019, 4:14 pm

Asparagus! YEE-HAH! 2 perfect spears. Hubby was already slow-cooking burgers, so he just laid the spears on top and steamed them for a few minutes. Yummy!  happy turtle
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5011

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 4/16/2019, 5:54 pm

hungry We should be there in 5 hours!

sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener on 4/16/2019, 5:58 pm

@sanderson wrote:hungry  We should be there in 5 hours!

rofl 

Takes use 4 days to get to southern California in the RV!  What's 5 hours?  rock on
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 4/16/2019, 6:07 pm

Note to Self: When it's time to plant 100 lavender starts, invite friends to "asparagus party." They'll never know they've been had until it's too late.   Twisted Evil
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 4/16/2019, 8:00 pm

A salad made with home grown fava beans, carrots, bunching onions, and spinach.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 3820

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener on 4/16/2019, 9:30 pm

I'm jealous, Yolos! My spinach has not come up, and I just replanted it this afternoon to see if the new seeds will come up. And, we won't have carrots for a long time, since they are just now beginning to germinate.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 4/17/2019, 7:03 pm

Me, too, Yolos!  My radishes are sprouted, but that’s it, same with spinaches...YUM!!!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 4/19/2019, 3:29 am

The last of the winter lettuce in a salad. Sad

sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 4/23/2019, 10:06 am

More asparagus! happy turtle
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  RJARPCGP on 4/23/2019, 12:39 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:More asparagus! happy turtle  
I had asparagus the other day, LOL
RJARPCGP
RJARPCGP

Male Posts : 318

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 37 Empty Asparagus Omelet Anyone?

Post  Windsor.Parker on 4/24/2019, 2:25 am

@countrynaturals wrote:Asparagus! YEE-HAH! 2 perfect spears. Hubby was already slow-cooking burgers, so he just laid the spears on top and steamed them for a few minutes. Yummy!  happy turtle
Inspected our Asparagus bed a couple days ago and after clearing last year's die-back, uncovered 6-8 nearly thumb-sized red spears! affraid Cut 'em, brought 'em, in rinsed, cross-cut 3 to just below their tops. Popped the 1/4" morsels into a HOT lightly greased skillet, lowered the heat & put a tight-fitting lid on.
Meanwhile I diced some thin-sliced ham, seasoned some eggs (whisk in some sour cream) for the skillet, and grabbed some cheese slices. Topped the omelet with the heads. MDW was served hers in bed, and she's still raving!
DELICIOUS!drooling hungry  love the idearahrah...
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 379
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 4/24/2019, 3:07 am

WP - hungry

sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 4/24/2019, 9:02 am

First Asparagus harvest of the year off our four year old bed yesterday it was  absolutely delicious . The 12 or so plants in the bed yielded a good 10 ounces , each stem a good half inch thick . Fed the bed with dilute tomato feed after giving he bed a real decent soaking . 

It's not rained much in the last 28 days and all th  beds are showing drying out signs.  Good job it's forecaste to be a wet three days or so from today .

Today there are plenty of nice thick stems  showing , hope to crop heavily tomorrow and as well as eating some we hope to make chicken & asparagus soup.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 3898

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 4/24/2019, 2:43 pm

@plantoid wrote:First Asparagus harvest of the year off our four year old bed yesterday it was  absolutely delicious . The 12 or so plants in the bed yielded a good 10 ounces , each stem a good half inch thick . Fed the bed with dilute tomato feed after giving he bed a real decent soaking . 

It's not rained much in the last 28 days and all th  beds are showing drying out signs.  Good job it's forecaste to be a wet three days or so from today .

Today there are plenty of nice thick stems  showing , hope to crop heavily tomorrow and as well as eating some we hope to make chicken & asparagus soup.

We're a year behind you, so I'm just getting 2-3 stalks a day, with lots of skinny ones to leave alone. What we're getting is yummy, however.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 4/24/2019, 4:34 pm

@Windsor.Parker wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:Asparagus! YEE-HAH! 2 perfect spears. Hubby was already slow-cooking burgers, so he just laid the spears on top and steamed them for a few minutes. Yummy!  happy turtle
Inspected our Asparagus bed a couple days ago and after clearing last year's die-back, uncovered 6-8 nearly thumb-sized red spears! affraid Cut 'em, brought 'em, in rinsed, cross-cut 3 to just below their tops. Popped the 1/4" morsels into a HOT lightly greased skillet, lowered the heat & put a tight-fitting lid on.
Meanwhile I diced some thin-sliced ham, seasoned some eggs (whisk in some sour cream) for the skillet, and grabbed some cheese slices. Topped the omelet with the heads. MDW was served hers in bed, and she's still raving!
DELICIOUS!drooling hungry  love the idearahrah...

All my gardening books  say cut all the fronds down to a couple of inches from the soil when they go a yellowish .  I think it's so that over winter there won't be any wind rock effect with the long dried stems acting like sails  levering away at the root system .  So less chance of infections and rot  .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 3898

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 4/25/2019, 8:20 am

In my green smoothies I am still using kale that was grown last year in the SFG. The kale was blanched and frozen in the Fall. Do you think it still has any goodness (e.g., vitamins) left in it or is just giving me green coloring?  Very Happy

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
trolleydriver
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5141

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 4/25/2019, 11:10 am

@trolleydriver wrote:In my green smoothies I am still using kale that was grown last year in the SFG. The kale was blanched and frozen in the Fall. Do you think it still has any goodness (e.g., vitamins) left in it or is just giving me green coloring?  Very Happy

Good question. I've often wondered about the effects of long storage, heat, etc. on nutrients. I know fresh is always better, and sprouts have the most nutrients of all, but if all you have is old and frozen -- it can't hurt, right? (Am I helpful or what? Rolling Eyes )

Actually . . . I just looked up kale sprouts. Maybe that's the way to go. That way, we're always getting the most bang for our buck, nutrionwise, and it's no more trouble than blanching and freezing. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 4/28/2019, 1:21 pm

ROMAINE! happy turtle 

This is a huge milestone for me. I've been trying to find a lettuce I could like for 25 years, but never succeeded. In a 24 hour period, I not only found it, but I figured out what's gone wrong all this time and solved my whole gardening problem.

It's all about water. Yesterday morning, I pinched off a small romaine leaf to snack on -- first time ever. It was delicious, so I decided to make sure I have romaine ready to eat year round from now on. I wondered what had kept me from this realization before, but didn't lose any sleep over it.

Last night I did my watering late, and the romaine was flat. Shame on me, but watering has always been my biggest problem.

This morning, I went out on the balcony to feed the birds and grabbed a romaine leaf to snack on. It was bitter. Now I get it. My inconsistant watering practices have been ruining my lettuce crops and all these years I've been wondering why everyone else loved homegrown lettuce and I didn't. Rolling Eyes 

This early heatwave has been driving me crazy, anyway. I was about ready to give it all up, but now I've decided to expand the kitchen balcony garden and install a watering system on timers (there's a water source right under it). I'll do away with the garden on the bedroom balcony (direct sun all day and no water source) and install growing shelves on the inside left side of the slider -- southern exposure, light all day, and climate controlled inside. I think I've figured out a way to put the joy back in gardening. Wish me luck.  What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 37 1787710427
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener on 4/28/2019, 7:32 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:I think I've figured out a way to put the joy back in gardening. Wish me luck. 

Good Luck!  cheers 

Good discovery.  The same happens with Radishes - if they get dry, they get hot, and then if they get a bunch of water they split open.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 5/1/2019, 4:04 am

Water! Who'd a thunk it! I pulled the last winter lettuce a couple weeks ago as it was starting to bolt. I think summer temps also make it bitter. I have seeds for Four Seasons lettuce that I must try this summer.

sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/1/2019, 6:58 am

CN, that is a thunderclap of realization!  Interestingly, hot and dry usually come together, so we just assume it is just the heat...good to know...keep us posted?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/6/2019, 8:30 pm

https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/25/77/83/82d74910.jpg

My first salad, with mustard leaves, baby Bok Choi, Lettuces, and radish thinnings!  Delish; last year, my first for the red Japanese mustard leaves, they were really uncomfortable taste-wise, just too bitey.  This year, with our super cold spring, they are delish!  Earlier the better!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/9/2019, 9:22 pm

This!  Radish thinnings, lettuces, and torn Japanese red mustard greens, just amazing! Sweet onion from store...

https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/25/77/83/6ff61510.jpg

I added poppyseed dressing and some croutons...yum!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum