Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to site and new to planting parsips!
by sanderson Today at 3:09 am

» Japanese Beetle Battle
by sanderson Today at 3:03 am

» 2018 SFG in Brooks, GA
by sanderson Today at 12:34 am

» Mini pumpkin question
by sanderson Today at 12:16 am

» SFG Journey:cucumber and heat
by sanderson Today at 12:14 am

» New England July, 2018
by sanderson Today at 12:13 am

» My Onion harvest
by sanderson Today at 12:11 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 12:03 am

» hantavirus
by RJARPCGP Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2018
by yolos Yesterday at 5:16 pm

» What critter did this?
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:50 pm

» Freezing food
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:47 pm

» Fourth Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2018
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:29 am

» Pesto chicken, tortellini and vegetables
by suseine Yesterday at 11:11 am

» Using Dehumidifier Water
by suseine Yesterday at 10:23 am

» July Avatar: Anything Goes!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:29 am

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:16 am

» Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:10 am

» Mel's mix good for some plants but not all?
by sanderson 7/18/2018, 4:31 pm

» "Aggressively Organic" growing method?
by sanderson 7/18/2018, 3:48 pm

» TT's plywood vs. hardware cloth, etc.
by sanderson 7/18/2018, 2:05 pm

» Sanderson's Table Top Beds
by SQWIB 7/18/2018, 7:37 am

» 2nd year SFG in ND
by Turan 7/18/2018, 1:11 am

» N&C Midwest: July Has Arrived 2018
by Scorpio Rising 7/17/2018, 8:14 pm

» Yay me! Look what I found
by Scorpio Rising 7/17/2018, 8:07 pm

» How to build gardens off the ground?
by sanderson 7/17/2018, 4:52 pm

» SUGA 2018
by SQWIB 7/17/2018, 8:25 am

» Interplanting Beans/Cucumbers to repel beetles
by sanderson 7/17/2018, 3:34 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

has55's R & D Journey

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Re: has55's R & D Journey

Post  has55 on 3/8/2018, 9:37 pm

@trolleydriver wrote:
That thermometer looks great.
But did you really mean to say, "My piles are cold from sitting a long time." ?
The reason I ask is that I was told as a youngster that you can get piles from sitting on a cold surface.

Very Happy
lol! let it pile up and high
avatar
has55

Posts : 1795
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: has55's R & D Journey

Post  has55 on 3/12/2018, 4:29 pm

It was 36 degrees last night. it was almost 75 degrees the day before. 60 degrees now. So far it looks like my tomatoes and peppers made it thru the night using the direct winter growing method in my beds. I will know in the next couple of days.
here's a video with using your air space beneath the sky for growing.Very Happy










avatar
has55

Posts : 1795
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: has55's R & D Journey

Post  has55 on 3/12/2018, 7:32 pm

my goal this year is to stop those flea beetles and cucumber beetles on my cucumber. eggplant and tomatoes. Nematodes will be added through compost tea. But I'm going to add some from Arbico . This is a good video showing simple application and discussing results. Anyone using beneficial nematodes?

avatar
has55

Posts : 1795
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: has55's R & D Journey

Post  sanderson on 3/13/2018, 2:34 pm

@has55 wrote:
@trolleydriver wrote:
That thermometer looks great.
But did you really mean to say, "My piles are cold from sitting a long time." ?
The reason I ask is that I was told as a youngster that you can get piles from sitting on a cold surface.

Very Happy
lol! let it pile up and high
Razz

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 16505
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: has55's R & D Journey

Post  AtlantaMarie on 3/14/2018, 8:57 am

@has55 wrote:my goal this year is to stop those flea beetles and cucumber beetles on my cucumber. eggplant and tomatoes. Nematodes will be added through compost tea. But I'm going to add some from Arbico . This is a good video showing simple application and discussing results. Anyone using beneficial nematodes?


You know, Has55, I think DStack is using them....
avatar
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4714
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 55
Location : Buford, GA - Zones 7B/8A

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Re: has55's R & D Journey

Post  has55 on 3/14/2018, 1:30 pm

@AtlantaMarie wrote:
@has55 wrote:Anyone using beneficial nematudes?

You know, Has55, I think DStack is using them....
Dstack are you out there? Hope to hear from you.
avatar
has55

Posts : 1795
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

has55's R & D Journey: preparing for future orchard using the back to eden method.

Post  has55 on 3/15/2018, 11:13 am

working on clearing the hedges. I would like to plant a fruit orchard after I cover the land with mulch and let it compost about a year. have some wood chip piles out there now.


has anyone used a billy goat? I was wondering if it would finish up these small stubb.


these brushes were slowly taking over the land. 






making some headway.

avatar
has55

Posts : 1795
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

HAS55'S R & D JOURNEY:update on compost tea, micro greens, green house seedling and direct winter sowing

Post  has55 on 3/15/2018, 11:28 am

brewing 25 gallons of compost tea. Able to use my own vermicomposting tea. will put out this evening using a small utility sump pump. simple built plans from Oregon state university.






microgreens almost ready.

pepper plant got burn last night, but it' the only one.



this pepper plant and the others did well.



Baby seedling coming up under old veggie growth. As you can tell the older ones are flowering and will be done soon.


more seedlings.


tomatoes got burn. I had two that received slight burns. The 1-gallon milk cover is working well.


2nd tomatoes plant with a small burn but overall they're doing fine,


snow peas coming along quite well. winter Australian peas doing fine. great cover crop.
avatar
has55

Posts : 1795
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: has55's R & D Journey

Post  sanderson on 3/16/2018, 3:28 pm

Has, I never realized how big your lot is!  You definitely have room for a nice orchard.  Totally jealous. Wink

I am removing my worm tubes this spring.  Feeding the beds with homemade compost seems to be enough to keep them thriving at this point.  I'm thinking about putting some of them in dirt areas that are covered with wood chips.  I like them as a way to get rid of small batches of kitchen scraps.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 16505
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: has55's R & D Journey

Post  has55 on 3/28/2018, 8:43 pm

temperature getting higher. the thermometer seems to be working.

avatar
has55

Posts : 1795
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: has55's R & D Journey

Post  sanderson on 3/30/2018, 5:08 pm

Sweet!

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 16505
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: has55's R & D Journey

Post  trolleydriver on 3/30/2018, 5:28 pm

@sanderson wrote:Sweet!
Very nice Has55.

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4497
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: has55's R & D Journey

Post  sanderson on 5/8/2018, 3:20 am

The deep aqua blue ones are so pretty!

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 16505
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: has55's R & D Journey

Post  Kelejan on 5/8/2018, 7:30 am

@sanderson wrote:The deep aqua blue ones are so pretty!

If the rounded ones were aqua blue would they be pretty? Very Happy
avatar
Kelejan

Female Posts : 5264
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 83
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: has55's R & D Journey

Post  Kelejan on 5/8/2018, 7:39 am

hass55.  GOATS.  When my DH and I had a small pub in England, there was a paddock included.  To keep the grass down a neighbour who kept goats placed a couple of goats on tethers to nibble down the weeds.  He would bring them out in the morning and place them another circle so that eventually everything got nibbled down.

It got the paddock good enough so the the current archbishop of the day (1978) the  Archbishop of Canterbury, the Right Reverend Robert Runcie was able to have his helicopter land safely so that he was able to preach to the villagers.  I had a ten minute ride in his helicopter, and I remember how he had to take his crook everywhere with him.  As it was not a folding one, I had his crook across the back of my neck.  Very Happy
avatar
Kelejan

Female Posts : 5264
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 83
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: has55's R & D Journey

Post  trolleydriver on 5/8/2018, 7:43 am

@Kelejan wrote:hass55.  GOATS.  When my DH and I had a small pub in England, there was a paddock included.  To keep the grass down a neighbour who kept goats placed a couple of goats on tethers to nibble down the weeds.  He would bring them out in the morning and place them another circle so that eventually everything got nibbled down.

It got the paddock good enough so the the current archbishop of the day (1978) the  Archbishop of Canterbury, the Right Reverend Robert Runcie was able to have his helicopter land safely so that he was able to preach to the villagers.  I had a ten minute ride in his helicopter, and I remember how he had to take his crook everywhere with him.  As it was not a folding one, I had his crook across the back of my neck.  Very Happy
Great anecdotes KJ.

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4497
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: has55's R & D Journey

Post  sanderson on 5/9/2018, 2:32 am

@Kelejan wrote:
@sanderson wrote:The deep aqua blue ones are so pretty!

If the rounded ones were aqua blue would they be pretty? Very Happy
Yep, or periwinkle blue.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 16505
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: has55's R & D Journey

Post  sanderson on 5/9/2018, 2:33 am

@trolleydriver wrote:
@Kelejan wrote:hass55.  GOATS.  When my DH and I had a small pub in England, there was a paddock included.  To keep the grass down a neighbour who kept goats placed a couple of goats on tethers to nibble down the weeds.  He would bring them out in the morning and place them another circle so that eventually everything got nibbled down.

It got the paddock good enough so the the current archbishop of the day (1978) the  Archbishop of Canterbury, the Right Reverend Robert Runcie was able to have his helicopter land safely so that he was able to preach to the villagers.  I had a ten minute ride in his helicopter, and I remember how he had to take his crook everywhere with him.  As it was not a folding one, I had his crook across the back of my neck.  Very Happy
Great anecdotes KJ.
+1

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 16505
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: has55's R & D Journey

Post  has55 on 5/9/2018, 3:25 am

+2
avatar
has55

Posts : 1795
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

has55's R & D Journey- shade cloth like sanderson to beat summer heat

Post  has55 on 6/13/2018, 9:54 pm

the new experiment to see if my crops will grow in these hot temp.








avatar
has55

Posts : 1795
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

has55's R & D Journey- tomatoes and the hanging 10 group

Post  has55 on 6/13/2018, 9:57 pm


avatar
has55

Posts : 1795
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

has55's R & D Journey- cucumbers, babies and the other hanging 10 group

Post  has55 on 6/13/2018, 10:22 pm

I love the hanging system. very easy to see, fertilized, harvest and clean up.













avatar
has55

Posts : 1795
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

has55's R & D Journey- comfrey

Post  has55 on 6/13/2018, 10:26 pm

avatar
has55

Posts : 1795
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

has55's R & D Journey- Honey bees and native bees

Post  has55 on 6/13/2018, 10:27 pm

avatar
has55

Posts : 1795
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: has55's R & D Journey

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum