Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 Toplef10ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 I22gcj10ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 Toplef10ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 I22gcj10ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC

+9
BeetlesPerSqFt
CapeCoddess
newbeone
yolos
countrynaturals
Scorpio Rising
sanderson
AtlantaMarie
ralitaco
13 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 Empty Re: 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 4/6/2017, 9:27 pm

ralitaco wrote:Well, it's been a few month and I have not done a thing there. Still have ALL the stumps, have NOT built any new beds. Just generally being a slacker and now spring is here and so is the time to plant.

Since I have done nothing to prepare this area, I am thinking about...OMG I don't know how to say this...I...I...I...I am...thinking...about...about...(deep breath)...PLANTING DIRECTLY IN THE GROUND!
There I said it! I am not happy I said it, but it had to be said. I know it borders on sacrilege or heresy or blasphemy, but I feel I may have no other option.
Razz

I am thinking that the area along the fence may have some decent soil or at least not be completely sand because for years that area was just covered in leaves. I am sure they broke down and between raking and mowing, perhaps they have been mixed in somewhat.

I do have plans to work on my SFG beds this weekend and may have some of last years compost left over. If I do, I will mix that in. But before that, I will have to check and see if I can even get anything planted there as it had a pretty good root mat at one time.

I still have a bunch of Blue Lake Pole Beans from several years ago. I am thinking of just planting them all in a #@% along the fence.
I also have some pumpkin seeds that I have never been able to get to grow much at all in the SFG.
Then I have some Oregon Sugar Pod II Peas that did not do well in my SFG...I think I got 1 edible pod. Again, I may just put them in #@% along the fence.
I have some Artichokes too but the package says to plant in the fall for spring harvest.
Blasphemy! Razz  I had/have old-style SFG sections in my garden-- dirt amended with compost, using SFG spacing. I put together 1"x2" frames so I could still have grids - several of those are now on top of actual raised beds when I converted more of the garden over to ANSFG.  I converted because I've done many plants in both O-SFG and ANSFG, and many do better, some about the same. In my experience beans are an excellent choice for O-SFG. My peas did better in the ANSFG for two reasons: 1-raised beds warmed faster (less rotting), 2- weeds: peas are shallow rooted, and don't necessarily appreciate the disruption of weeding; fewer weeds in ANSFG, an less disruptive to remove when they happen.

I haven't compared squash growth between O-SFG and ANSFG, but pumpkins are heavy feeders; you'll want to amend your dirt with something like composted manure.

In my experience (which may be different vs your situation since we have different native soils and climates) these do okay O-SFG: Beans, Greens (Lettuce, Spinach, Arugula – but more slug issues for me for these in O-SFG) , Cabbage family plants grown for leaves (kale, collards, mustard), Nasturtium, Onions, Herbs

And these I'd stick to ANSFG for: Cabbage family plants grown for heads (cabbage, broccoli), Leeks, Garlic, Root vegetables (beets, carrots, radish, turnip, rutabega, parsnips  - basically everything except Jerusalem artichokes), Nightshade family (peppers, eggplants, tomatoes, ground cherries)

My okra didn't do well either way, I'm trying tomatillos in the O-SFG section this year, and kohlrabi in the ANSFG this year. I've only grown cukes and squash in the ANSFG.

Vs. cabbage head size, it depends on the variety. I've chosen seeds for my ANSFG for cabbages that make small heads, because I don't need huge ones, and huge ones readily annex adjacent squares.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 Empty Re: 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC

Post  yolos 4/6/2017, 10:38 pm

Go for it Ralitaco.  I am almost there also.  I almost got my tiller out the other day to just till up some clay and amend it with lots of purchased compost.  But I broke down today and bought some boards to make three 2'x2' beds for some tomatoes.  I have to plant these tomatoes now.  I have a lot of beds out of commision due to Southern Blight and have not started rebuilding them and adding MM.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 4/7/2017, 12:06 am

yolos wrote:Go for it Ralitaco.  I am almost there also.  I almost got my tiller out the other day to just till up some clay and amend it with lots of purchased compost.  But I broke down today and bought some boards to make three 2'x2' beds for some tomatoes.  I have to plant these tomatoes now.  I have a lot of beds out of commision due to Southern Blight and have not started rebuilding them and adding MM.
I remember my dad fighting with the tiller in the spring for the family's old school SFG - it seemed to need repairs or something every (other?) year. Cordless drill seems like less work than a tiller (esp. since i don't own one.)
Part of the reason I started ANSFG is that I got worn out trying to double-dig O-SFG beds by hand..err ...by shovel. I got the ANSFG book and immediately switched my plans to raised beds.  But Ralitaco is "stumped" and neither cordless drill nor tiller is the correct tool for that problem.  
Cheers to more growing space! ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 3170584802
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/7/2017, 11:04 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:My cabbages NEVER head up...so ANY size is better than what I get.  I end up eating the leaves.
Thanks CC.
I have 4 left and am working on my plans for my squares and right now I have 4 open squares, so they can stay a bit longer I guess. Eventually, I will pull them to use the space.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/7/2017, 11:17 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Blasphemy! Razz  I had/have old-style SFG sections in my garden-- dirt amended with compost, using SFG spacing. I put together 1"x2" frames so I could still have grids - several of those are now on top of actual raised beds when I converted more of the garden over to ANSFG.  I converted because I've done many plants in both O-SFG and ANSFG, and many do better, some about the same. In my experience beans are an excellent choice for O-SFG.
Thanks for the condemnation Beetles, I feel appropriately chastised now. Very Happy

I appreciate all your input on which plants do better where. I don't know if I will plant in the ground or not, or if I do, I'm not sure what I will do beyond dropping the seeds down with some compost.

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:I haven't compared squash growth between O-SFG and ANSFG, but pumpkins are heavy feeders; you'll want to amend your dirt with something like composted manure.
Funny you should mention pumpkins.
ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 2016-014
ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 2016-015
ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 2016-013
I found these volunteers in my pseudo-compost pile. I swear they were not there a week ago. It appears, that these are from when my wife tossed in some rotting pumpkins back in Nov/Dec.
I am going to try to transplant them and see if I can make a go of them in the SFG and the ground. If I have enough, I may give some to my neighbors to try.
One question that did occur to me: Since they are store bought will they still produce fruit or are they treated some way to prevent that? I am thinking about store bought garlic not being able to be planted.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/7/2017, 11:19 pm

yolos wrote:Go for it Ralitaco.  I am almost there also.  I almost got my tiller out the other day to just till up some clay and amend it with lots of purchased compost.  But I broke down today and bought some boards to make three 2'x2' beds for some tomatoes.  I have to plant these tomatoes now.  I have a lot of beds out of commision due to Southern Blight and have not started rebuilding them and adding MM.
One reason I started using SFG method is because I don't have a tiller. I am contemplating mixing up some MM and planting in buckets, totes and maybe even throwing together some "quick and dirty" boxes and put them on the ground.

ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/7/2017, 11:20 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:But Ralitaco is "stumped" and neither cordless drill nor tiller is the correct tool for that problem.  
ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 931411784
You are punny
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/8/2017, 8:40 pm

RT,  Tell me it ain't so!  Shocked   You have trees and if you have boxes sitting on the ground, you will be joining Jimmy Cee, Camp and I in re-doing all of the boxes due to root invasion.  Spare your self some pain and lay down some boards or bricks every 2' of the bed(s).  You don't need legs like your other artistic beds.  Just create an air gap.  ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 Raised10

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/8/2017, 10:36 pm

sanderson wrote:RT,  Tell me it ain't so!  Shocked   You have trees and if you have boxes sitting on the ground, you will be joining Jimmy Cee, Camp and I in re-doing all of the boxes due to root invasion.  Spare your self some pain and lay down some boards or bricks every 2' of the bed(s).  You don't need legs like your other artistic beds.  Just create an air gap.
Thanks for the reality check Sanderson.
I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. After spending all day in the yard cutting down another tree, a branch the size of a small tree, sifting compost that was full of roots, etc., etc., etc. I don't know if I will do anything...except in my TT's.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 Empty Compost Volunteers: Pumpkin

Post  ralitaco 4/8/2017, 11:01 pm

So here are some pictures of my Compost Volunteers. I thought I was going to be turning my cold pile today so I decided to try my luck at transplanting these pumpkin volunteers. I moved them into some seedling trays I had that were from my DW's flowers. I put 2 stems with roots in each cup and filled with my homemade compost.

I ended up with almost 4 full trays with 2 seedlings in each.
That works out to 16x4x2-6=122 (I think) OH WAIT +2 for the ones I planted = 124 seedlings. I did try to remove the husks but quit after breaking several plants. I figure nature will take care of itself.ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 2017-163
ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 2017-161
ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 2017-162

So now I have questions since I have never done this before:
1. Do these have any REAL chance to survive and bear fruit?
2. Since the roots were very small, should I have planted the 2 in the MM?
3. Since they were growing in the compost, I am figuring it will be ok to leave them outside unless there is a frost...right? (no grow lights needed or heat mat)

I know I have other questions, but I'm tired and cant think straight. sawing logs

COMPOST!!!!!
One of 2 wheel barrows full of compost I sifted today which I used to refresh the beds and get them ready to plant. This compost was a combination of kitchen scraps, horse manure, coffee grounds and leaves...oh and apparently some roots from who knows what that I had to sift out. It was sitting since last summer, but fortunately, my sifter rig worked great and I was able to get rid of the roots and a ton of acorns & twigs (my compost bin is under trees)
ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 2017-164
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 Empty Onions

Post  ralitaco 4/8/2017, 11:06 pm

So some of my onions have these little bulbs on top. ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 2017-165

From what I am reading, this means they are bolting and unless I want the seeds, I should harvest them.
Is this correct?
If so, do I need to do anything special or just pull them out?

Thanks all
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 4/9/2017, 8:19 am

Simply harvest them. I would recommend getting a hand or trowel underneath rather than strictly pulling on the top - it's annoying when a plant has really good roots in the MM and the leaves break off the plant when you're trying to pull is out... making it hard to remove the root/bulb, and MM (or dirt) gets in the torn spot...  ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 1280598131

There are more complicated ways of harvesting onions 'properly', but the point of them is to get the onions into the best state for storing -- and/but bolted onions won't store.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/9/2017, 12:07 pm

Thanks Beetles. I remember now reading that you bend the stems over so you can store them. I guess I can free up a square now. It is odd that only some of them have bolted, but I am guessing the others will be close behind. I do believe I have 3 planted in a 1/2 square that I will let go to seed so 1. I can see what that looks like and 2. so I can have some onion seeds.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 4/9/2017, 6:14 pm

I would not save the seeds because I think you would be getting seeds for onions that bolt in your climate, rather than seeds for a type that successfully forms onions. Better to get new seeds that are clearly labeled as short-day onions, or new sets that are labeled as intermediate-day onions, when the time comes for another sowing/planting in your area. Long-day onions aren't likely to form bulbs in the south -- maybe bolting is what they do instead. I'm not sure because the web sites I'm skimming are saying 'doesn't work', rather than describing what actually happens instead.

This is interesting to read about onion bolting:
http://www.vegetable-gardening-with-lorraine.com/onion-bolting.html
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/9/2017, 11:16 pm

Thanks again BPSF, I think that is one of the pages I read the other day. I don't understand why these bolted. I bought the sets locally so I would've presumed they were meant for my climate. maybe the MM was too wet or maybe with the flip-flopping  between 70* weather and 35* weather, they got confused. Either way, for experimentation sake and out of curiosity, I will let a few go to seed. I have 3 in a 1/2 square that will be ideal to do this.

Here is what I pulled up today. Oh and you were right about them being hard to pull out. I was surprised how much grip they had. (the one on the right was a garlic...we were curious to see how they were doing)ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 2017-167
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 4/10/2017, 8:28 am

ralitaco wrote:Thanks again BPSF, I think that is one of the pages I read the other day. I don't understand why these bolted. I bought the sets locally so I would've presumed they were meant for my climate. maybe the MM was too wet or maybe with the flip-flopping  between 70* weather and 35* weather, they got confused. Either way, for experimentation sake and out of curiosity, I will let a few go to seed. I have 3 in a 1/2 square that will be ideal to do this.
I actually realize I posted the wrong link - I'd been looking through several and didn't have the one I thought in the cut and paste Rolling Eyes I'm sorry. Try this:
http://tendingmygarden.com/onions-bolting-what-causes-it-and-what-we-can-do/
It doesn't mention long or short day, but the gardener who wrote it is in Virginia.
She mentions a gardener in NC in this one:
http://tendingmygarden.com/growing-onions-determining-when-you-should-plant/

A few weeks of 70s followed by a few weeks of near freezing lows seems like it could have contributed.
Experiments are fun if you have the space! Just make sure to label your seeds and squares (I say this because I'm bad about it.)

The assumption that sets bought locally being correct for your climate is not necessarily a correct one. I bought the wrong seeds last year because I had the same assumption. I tried them anyhow as an experiment, and sure enough I didn't really get onions (well, actually I got green onions, but that's not what I was going for.) I was at one of the box stores the other day, and not only are the selling a mix of right and wrong onion types for my location, they were selling a mix of transplants and sets also not suitable! Evil or Very Mad The seed packet wasn't well labeled short-day (good for south, bad for north), but the transplants were. Inexperienced people were clearly buying them, too. (I couldn't convince myself they were all buying gifts for gardening friends and family before heading south to visit them. I've gotten garlic bulbs for planting as a gift before, but never an onion transplant bouquet.)

There are several threads about onions on this forum. One of them references a map. I don't know if it's this one, but they are all similar:
http://www.dixondalefarms.com/category/onion_plants
If your experiment is a side-by-side, get seeds for a variety that's intermediate(=neutral)-day seeds, or short day seeds.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/11/2017, 3:50 am

RT, That is some mighty fine looking compost. Congrats!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Banned Member 4/11/2017, 7:32 am

Yes sir, that is what compost should look like.  Crops will thrive in that growing medium.

As for the question about the volunteer seedlings in compost, some of our best tomato and cucumber harvests have come from plants pulled out of our cold compost pile.
Banned Member

Male Posts : 144

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/11/2017, 11:34 pm

Thanks Sanderson. That was my failed 18 day Berkeley pile that became a cold pile.

TNG, I sure hope they thrive.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 Empty Top Hat Box

Post  ralitaco 4/14/2017, 12:28 am

So I put together a Top Hat Box for my two 1/2 squares that I plan to use for Carrot Week.  I had some old 1/4" plywood that I cut down to 6" but I didn't have staples long enough so I tried making some corner pieces. They will suffice for now, but I am looking at using 1/2" pvc in the corners instead. You can see in the second photo, in the lower right corner that the piece split. I might just try to convince my DW that I NEED to get an air stapler, some long clamps and some glue instead.

ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 2017-171
ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 2017-172
ONIONS - 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC - Page 3 2017-170
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/14/2017, 3:36 pm

Can one really have too many tools and stuff? Wink

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Banned Member 4/14/2017, 4:35 pm

Sanderson, if you are a total Klutzenjammer kid like me, more tools just means more ways to need a Band-aid, an ice pack, or an x-ray.   Embarassed
Banned Member

Male Posts : 144

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 4/14/2017, 8:50 pm

Your garden, plants, and ideas are wonderful!!! Kept up with the picture and updates. I love to garden vicariously through others.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/14/2017, 10:14 pm

Sanderson...NO

TNG...around here, it means more projects on the honey-do list
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/14/2017, 10:15 pm

mschaef wrote:Your garden, plants, and ideas are wonderful!!! Kept up with the picture and updates. I love to garden vicariously through others.
Thanks mschaef. I wouldn't call them all wonderful, but they are usually creative.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next