Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing  December 2016 - Page 3 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing  December 2016 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing  December 2016 - Page 3 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing  December 2016 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing  December 2016 - Page 3 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing  December 2016 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing  December 2016 - Page 3 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing  December 2016 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Maybe a silly question but...
by aadams43 Today at 9:36 pm

» Seedling Identification
by OhioGardener Today at 6:39 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 4:14 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:22 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 9:50 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 5:13 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Today at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Today at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Today at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016

+4
Scorpio Rising
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
Kelejan
8 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing  December 2016 - Page 3 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016

Post  trolleydriver 12/15/2016, 12:25 pm

Brutal drive this morning on highway 401 along the north shore of Lake Ontario. Total whiteouts and very windy.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing  December 2016 - Page 3 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016

Post  sanderson 12/15/2016, 4:01 pm

Be oh so careful!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21527

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/15/2016, 4:08 pm

sanderson wrote:Be oh so careful!
Thanks sanderson.  

We are home safely now with my Mom who will be 91 on December 31st.  She travelled well Very Happy .  But we had to leave her in the car in the driveway for a while until I could shovel a ton of snow off the front walkway so that we could get to the front door. It feels so good to be home again. Looking forward to a good cup of coffee. Now where is that Baker Creek seed catalog?

Weather in Ottawa when we arrived was 2F (-17C) and with the 33 mph wind gusts it feels -21F (-29C).  Polar vortex for a couple of days then we are going to get hit with a Colorado Low which is going to bring lost of snow on the weekend.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/15/2016, 6:28 pm

Turned off the pump in the fish pond.  I could still hear the water coming out of waterfall but everything is covered in ice and a foot of snow so I can't see what is going on. I don't want the pump to accidentally pump the water on top of a layer of ice and then drain the pond. Have to wait for the Spring opening now to see if any goldfish survive the Winter.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing  December 2016 - Page 3 Goldfish_smiley_emoticon_by_m_i_t_c_h_e_l-d9e28f9
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/15/2016, 7:25 pm

Glad you got home safely, TD.  Best wishes to your mom. 

I can just imagine the goldfish pond being drained by having all the water on top of the ice. I hope you caught it in time, then I would expect that some goldfish will survive if there is enough deep water.

I am sure you will all sleep well tonight.  Hope you stay put  until the cold weather breaks.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/15/2016, 11:55 pm

Projects now on my mind:

- Setting up the grow light station
- Growing microgreens
- Deciding what to grow next year
- Ordering seeds
- Using a heat mat for seed germination and seedlings
- Winter sowing (e.g., as shown in http://tinyurl.com/zbqbxfm )
- Planning for expansion of the vegetable and perennial gardens next Spring
- Reading gardening books
- etc.

Now -20C outside and heading for -25C ... Baby It's Cold Outside ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bbuBubZ1yE
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/17/2016, 12:52 pm

At this time of the year it falls on me to make small mince-meat pies for Christmas. The reason is that not many in the family like them but I sure do.   bounce   Very Happy

In the meantime, Mrs TD got my 90 year old (91 on Dec 31st) Mom into the action. Here she making chocolate covered pretzels. The chocolate was melted in a mini crockpot.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing  December 2016 - Page 3 Img_3324
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/17/2016, 4:31 pm

And here are the over five dozen mini mince-meat pies that I made this afternoon. I know they don't look pretty but they sure taste good. A few already disappeared into my tummy before this photo was taken.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing  December 2016 - Page 3 Img_3325
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/18/2016, 12:23 am

TD. those mini mince pies may not look "commercial" but they certainly scrumptious.

And "Hi" to your mom,  nice to "meet" you.  Enjoy your Christmas with your son and all your family. happy hi
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/18/2016, 6:20 am

Looks & sounds like you're all having a wonderful time.... And, yes, those pies DO look scrumptious. I also like mincemeat.

I've got a pear mincemeat that's wonderful. I'll see if I can find the recipe & post it.

Be safe. Have fun!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/19/2016, 2:51 am

Kelejan wrote:TD. those mini mince pies may not look "commercial" but they certainly scrumptious.

And "Hi" to your mom,  nice to "meet" you.  Enjoy your Christmas with your son and all your family. happy hi
+!

Canadian mincemeat, with or without meat? Either way, I like them.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/19/2016, 8:37 am

sanderson wrote:
Kelejan wrote:TD. those mini mince pies may not look "commercial" but they certainly scrumptious.

+!

Canadian mincemeat, with or without meat?  Either way, I like them.
... apples, currants, orange peel. lemon peel, beef suet, blackstrap molasses, rum, brandy, spices and a bunch of other things that cannot be good for your health.

I think I need to start making my own mincemeat from now on.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/19/2016, 8:51 am

FINALLY, we have some real snow here in my neck of the woods.  So far this season I have spent about 15 minutes shovelling snow to make a path down my driveway.  When it is light, I have have to make a bigger effort.

This afternoon I will be out for some hours, and as two days of snow are forecast, there will be more work to do.  This is the one time I am happy not to have a car and a whole driveway to clear.  It leaves me more energy to get out the snow shoes over Christmas and the New Year.

A difference this year is that so far we have not had the snow/melt/freeze sequence that causes so many slippery sidewalks and blocked drains.  Seems to me that pedestrians get the worst treatment, or should I say, lack of treatment.

The biggest bugbear to me is the tunnel under the railway tracks, as it is too narrow to permit the sidewalk machines.  The slope leading to it never gets the sun and the handrails are out of reach. The slope is where may of us fall as there is often no salt/sand/grit laid down which is generally a one person job and we have to send in a request, then they go overboard and lay half an inch on the upper part and then run out of material.

Enough complaining; the snow looks very pretty, falling gently on to the roads and trees etc and covering up all the work I should have done before winter. Very Happy  The temperature will not go above freezing for a week so it should look nice and clean.

ETA:  Looked out again just now, it is still dark here, I take back what I said about gently falling snow.  It is coming down at a 45 degree angle, the opposite direction to the last time. At least it is not so bitingly cold.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/20/2016, 4:54 pm

Sounds gru...er, um, pretty, Kelejan. Rolling Eyes

TD, I LOVE choc covered pretzels. Go Momma go!
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/22/2016, 12:18 pm

Kelejan ... where are you???

Some may wonder how I came up with my forum User ID, "trolleydriver".  It's because I really like the old trolleys.  I even have a few models as seen in the following photo.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing  December 2016 - Page 3 Img_3332

On a sad note, we lost a neighbour (3 houses away) to a brain hemorrhage.  Sad
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/22/2016, 7:48 pm

Never fear, TD, I'm still here.  Thanks for holding up the Canadian thread.

Had some fun with the new city garbage can yesterday.  When I went to insert my weeks garbage I found that the lid had frozen shut. It seemed that  snow or rain had blown round the corner where I keep the can, and just froze it shut.  Think of me in the dark at six in the morning trying to unfreeze it with hot water.  I managed it, then had to make sure it was as dry as possible so that it would not re-freeze for when the garbage truck came to do pick-up. Put in my garbage and trundled down the driveway to the road, wishing all the time that I should have asked for the half-sized one.  Down at the curbside I unlocked it and put a rolled up paper there so that the lid would not shut tight and freeze again.

Only a little snow these past days, just enough to clear the walkway to the road for the second time.  So far having an easy time of it.  At least we have passed the Winter Solstice. bounce

Apart from that I called in at Canadian Tire and bought some potting soil as all mine had frozen solid.  Note for next winter; makes sure I have the makings for potting plants.  I have three peony seeds that have sprouted. At last!
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/23/2016, 1:51 pm

Kelejan wrote:. . . Had some fun with the new city garbage can yesterday.  When I went to insert my weeks garbage I found that the lid had frozen shut. It seemed that  snow or rain had blown round the corner where I keep the can, and just froze it shut.  Think of me in the dark at six in the morning trying to unfreeze it with hot water.
Razz

. . . we have passed the Winter Solstice. bounce
Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/24/2016, 1:25 pm

What I call real snow has finally arrived here. It certainly looks like fairyland.
Yesterday I completely cleared the driveway in case neighbours would like to park their visitors' cars.

This morning I cleared it once again, about eight inches and it took a little longer
but the snow was only a little bit heavier and it gave me a good workout without overdoing it.  Now to phone a couple of neighbours to offer them parking spaces over Christmas and Boxing Day, starting with a Christmas Eve gathering this evening.

Today I have an afternoon gathering starting at 2pm and then the Christmas Eve party starting at 6pm. I will have to really pace myself.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/24/2016, 2:59 pm

Have fun! Be careful....
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/25/2016, 1:19 pm

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all our Canadian posters and readers and also to everyone around the World who posts on and reads this wonderful SFG Forum.

BIG hug
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/25/2016, 2:10 pm

She who shovels snow in the morning and parties the rest of the day. What an inspiration you are. Merry Christmas and Happy Boxing Day. I love you

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/25/2016, 7:11 pm

sanderson wrote:She who shovels snow in the morning and parties the rest of the day.  What an inspiration you are.  Merry Christmas and Happy Boxing Day. I love you

I hope you have had a great Christmas, Sanderson and enjoy Boxing Day tomorrow. I love you
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/25/2016, 8:24 pm

Kelejan wrote:
sanderson wrote:She who shovels snow in the morning and parties the rest of the day.  What an inspiration you are.  Merry Christmas and Happy Boxing Day. I love you

I hope you have had a great Christmas, Sanderson and enjoy Boxing Day tomorrow. I love you

I may be wrong but I think Boxing Day is only a UK and Commonwealth countries holiday.  Mrs TD and daughter TD are looking forward to the Boxing Day sales.  Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/26/2016, 2:45 am

From TD:

" I may be wrong but I think Boxing Day is only a UK and Commonwealth countries holiday.  Mrs TD and daughter TD are looking forward to the Boxing Day sales."

You are right, TD.  It was the day that the Servants got their annual gifts from their Masters.  After all, the servants slaved away all the year and worked many days preparing for Christmas so they deserved something for their loyalty.

By the time the USA arrived, I expect that most people shifted for themselves.

Now to start looking froward to the New Year amd a new season of gardening for us here in Canada.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/26/2016, 8:05 am

Environment Canada's weather warning for Ottawa today is for freezing rain and their statement includes the following sentence: "Public Safety Canada encourages everyone to make an emergency plan and get an emergency kit with drinking water, food, medicine, a first-aid kit and a flashlight."

O joy, o joy.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next