Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer - Page 13 Toplef10TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer - Page 13 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer - Page 13 I22gcj10TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer - Page 13 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer - Page 13 Toplef10TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer - Page 13 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer - Page 13 I22gcj10TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer - Page 13 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer

+13
Mimi2
newbeone
Robbomb116
CapeCoddess
floyd1440
plantoid
Zmoore
Kelejan
audrey.jeanne.roberts
dstack
jimmy cee
yolos
sanderson
17 posters

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Go down

TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer - Page 13 Empty Re: TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer

Post  plantoid 10/15/2017, 2:47 pm

Trolley your square bin looks a little damp inthe contents still inthe bin

My thought ...  Were you able to poke half a dozen holes down from top to bottom of the bin to get air into the bin deep down ? Do you have a lid on the bin most of th time to retain composting heat & keep out excessive moisture ?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer - Page 13 Empty Re: TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer

Post  trolleydriver 10/15/2017, 3:28 pm

plantoid wrote:Trolley your square bin looks a little damp inthe contents still inthe bin

My thought ...  Were you able to poke half a dozen holes down from top to bottom of the bin to get air into the bin deep down ? Do you have a lid on the bin most of th time to retain composting heat & keep out excessive moisture ?
Plantoid ... Thanks for the suggestions. If by "square bin" you mean the SoilSaver bin, the contents were turned and did not heat up again. So I do not think poking holes is going to help. The contents look dark but are not soaking wet ... just a little damp (more so on top than down below). As well, I keep both the SoilSaver and the 3x3x3 bin covered at all times except when I am working on them. However, the covers are a few inches above the contents and perhaps the overnight dew is making the top of the contents wet.  Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 12/3/2017, 1:56 pm

If this hasn't already been posted, here's a great compost thermometer - 20" long!  And for those like me who need readers to see anything close at all, it's colored so it's easier to see if you're in the right range: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BMX3SYI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

---  Best part - only $20 delivered!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/4/2017, 3:19 am

The link did not lead to a compost thermometer. ??

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/4/2017, 8:02 am

sanderson wrote:The link did not lead to a compost thermometer.  ??
It works for me if I cut and paste it into my browser. I have now edited it to make it a complete click-on link.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 12/4/2017, 9:30 am

Thanks for fixing it trollydriver - I guess I'm still too new to be able to post actual clickable links.  Hope that link helps someone - looks to be a great thermometer!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/4/2017, 1:45 pm

TD, thanks for fixing it.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/12/2018, 9:05 pm

jimmy cee wrote:The sensing area on the probe is at the tip, thats where two wires are connected together. Place a small tubing clamp before sliding into cap hole. Adjust so much of the probe protrudes out the cap, then attach another close to cap to make probe rigid. You might have to search around for those clamps as they are not common. Auto parts stores may have small clamps for vacuum tubing.
Jimmy cee would you be able to post a picture or a link to a picture of those clamps?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/12/2018, 9:06 pm

TD , on page 6 or 7 you started using a reotemp compost thermometer. Which would you use now, the digital or reotemp?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/15/2018, 5:46 am

has55 wrote:TD , on page 6 or 7 you started using a reotemp compost thermometer. Which would you use now, the digital or reotemp?
TD do you have a favorite choice?
 You may have answer this question earlier in the thread but I didn’t read all of the thread  because it’s so long
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 2/15/2018, 7:27 pm

has55 wrote:
has55 wrote:TD , on page 6 or 7 you started using a reotemp compost thermometer. Which would you use now, the digital or reotemp?
TD do you have a favorite choice?
 You may have answer this question earlier in the thread but I didn’t read all of the thread  because it’s so long
I like the Reotemp.  The digital are fun but they don't have a long life.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/17/2018, 8:17 am

Thanks for the update that’s good to know 
I bought one small but I haven’t done anything with itt.
I’’m going to order a reotemp today.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/5/2018, 5:11 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
sanderson wrote:Can you add a red dot or something when ever you turn them to introduce more oxygen?  
I'll try to indicate that on the graphs. 

Here are today's temperatures and graphs.  Bin #1 (3x3x3) is at 110F (the Active zone) and Bin #2 (SoilSaver) is at 131F (just into the Hot zone). Both bins should have thermophile bacteria active at this time.  Lookin' good.

TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer - Page 13 Img_3713TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer - Page 13 Bin1-211TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer - Page 13 Img_3714TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer - Page 13 Bin2-211
now that you been using the reotemp do you suggest buying the orange support to assist inserting the rod into the compost pile?
REOTEMP FM-0 Probe Handle for Compost Thermometers
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/5/2018, 5:42 pm

Just found this website for a digital thermometer. Going to buy one while on sale. 
Heavy Duty Waterproof Thermometer, 24-inch (RT610B-24)

This is the response from the chat line with Beverly.

Beverly Bowman4:25 pmHi.
4:26 pmHow can I help today?
Austin'slooking at your product Heavy Duty Waterproof Thermometer, 24-inch (RT610B-24). Will this work in a compost pile
I noticed all the reply seem mostly related to beer brewing?
Beverly BowmanIt is true, it is used for brewing. I will work for what you want too, as long as the compose pile isn't too deep.
austintoo deep? I wanted to insert in probably 20 inches
it's 24". are you saying it will break or bend?
Beverly BowmanThen it will work for you.
austincan it be left outdoor?
Beverly BowmanI will ask an expert, I will be right back.
austinhave you had any feedback of your customers using it in a compost pile or will I be the first one?
is there any warranty?
Beverly BowmanThat unit is an instant read.
It has an auto shut off.
If left out over time, water or liquid could make it's way in.
There is a 2 year warranty, as long as it is used as an instant read.
austinhave you had any feedback of your customers using it in a compost pile or will I be the first one?
Beverly BowmanI haven't had a customer tell me they were using it for a compost pile.
Usually it is used in the beer making processes.
I can be used in your compost pile.
austinOk, thank you. awesome answers. Great. I will buy one, maybe two.
would it be ok to post these questions and answer to my square foot garden forum? Read

Beverly BowmanYes, no worries.
austinthank you for your help. Have a great day.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/5/2018, 8:01 pm

Has55

1. (now that you been using the reotemp do you suggest buying the orange support to assist inserting the rod into the compost pile? REOTEMP FM-0 Probe Handle for Compost Thermometers)

- Never seen it before and from my use of the compost thermometer probably not necessary

2. Concerning the other "beer" thermometer.  Why? Why not buy a compost thermometer instead?
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/5/2018, 8:49 pm

I been looking for a digital thermometer as suggested by Jimmie Cee, but could not find a low-cost one that's effective. They had it posted as use for composting. that's why I was following your experiment with the digital probe. Jimmie cee said very little issues with them. I'm going to try it out for the R & D journey and post back my findings. You cut the first pathway and there many of us following you. Gardening is so wonderous for experimenting. I hope it works well.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/5/2018, 9:22 pm

has55 wrote:I been looking for a digital thermometer as suggested by Jimmie Cee, but could not find a low-cost one that's effective. They had it posted as use for composting. that's why I was following your experiment with the digital probe. Jimmie cee said very little issues with them. I'm going to try it out for the R & D journey and post back my findings. You cut the first pathway and there many of us following you. Gardening is so wonderous for experimenting. I hope it works well.
I'm still using one of my digital thermometers to monitor indoor seed starting mix temps. 

The waterproof digital thermometer you linked to looks good to me and it is on sale. Win win.

Experimenting is great. Go for it.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/5/2018, 10:12 pm

trolleydriver wrote:I'm still using one of my digital thermometers to monitor indoor seed starting mix temps. 

The waterproof digital thermometer you linked to looks good to me and it is on sale. Win win.

Experimenting is great. Go for it.
yea it was within my budget.bounce
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13