Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 3 Toplef10What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 3 I22gcj10What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 3 Toplef10What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 3 I22gcj10What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 6:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 5:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:38 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 2:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 1:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 12:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 10:28 am

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 3:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/22/2024, 9:33 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 4:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 11:09 am

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 8:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 8:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 4:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 7:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 1:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 7:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 2:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 7:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 5:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 5:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 3:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 12:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 10:46 am

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 4:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 7:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 6:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 1:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow??

+19
newbeone
Fiz
Robbomb116
AlwaysHotinFL
yolos
jimmy cee
floyd1440
audrey.jeanne.roberts
llama momma
trolleydriver
reynajrainwater
Mimi2
landarch
CapeCoddess
sanderson
Scorpio Rising
countrynaturals
BeetlesPerSqFt
Judy McConnell
23 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 3 Empty RE: What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow??

Post  newbeone 6/25/2017, 6:06 am

Well I'm fairly a newbie down here in Texas this is my third year, but at the top of my list is Ground Cherries, They take up to much room, I planted two plants in outside squares next to each other and they took over a total of eight squares plus spilling over into my walk ways.
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202

Back to top Go down

What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 3 Empty Re: What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow??

Post  countrynaturals 6/25/2017, 9:13 am

newbeone wrote:Well I'm fairly a newbie down here in Texas this is my third year, but at the top of my list is Ground Cherries, They take up to much room, I planted two plants in outside squares next to each other and they took over a total of eight squares plus spilling over into my walk ways.
LOL! I had no idea ground cherries were so controversial. Maybe we should have them banned from the forum. rofl
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 3 Empty Re: What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow??

Post  countrynaturals 6/25/2017, 9:18 am

Fiz wrote:As for my list, as of now I will definitely repeat baby butterhead lettuce and super bush container tomatoes. 
I think I'll try these, too. I really have trouble with lettuce and tomatoes. There has to be a way. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/25/2017, 9:32 am

newbeone wrote:Well I'm fairly a newbie down here in Texas this is my third year, but at the top of my list is Ground Cherries, They take up to much room, I planted two plants in outside squares next to each other and they took over a total of eight squares plus spilling over into my walk ways.
One big issue for me was the millions that fell undetected and now I am dealing with baby groundcherries in my pepper/cauli bed.  This year I put them in a big container with my herbs on the table close to the house.  Plus they are a low growing plant, and getting them up hopefully will help me find them!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 6/25/2017, 9:45 am

The entire brassica family has been a pain for me.  Unlikely to do again any time soon.

Had to go every few hours and pluck worms off of them.
Good thing I was growing them for dye stock purposes and not eating!
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Male Posts : 141

http://literate-troll.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/25/2017, 1:42 pm

Well, if I lose my covered zucchini and delicatas to svb this year I'm never going to try them again. (I know... I say that every year Rolling Eyes  ) What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 3 Img_2015
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiz 6/25/2017, 5:01 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
Fiz wrote:As for my list, as of now I will definitely repeat baby butterhead lettuce and super bush container tomatoes. 
I think I'll try these, too. I really have trouble with lettuce and tomatoes. There has to be a way. geek

Let me know how it goes! The ones I got were Renee's Garden seeds. Everyone says seeds are so hard but I have had zero issues with these seeds and this is my first year. Beginners luck perhaps, but either way, that lettuce is heat tolerant and the tomatoes are a bush variety and only get to 2-3 feet.
Fiz
Fiz

Male Posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysHotinFL 6/25/2017, 5:28 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
LOL! I had no idea ground cherries were so controversial. Maybe we should have them banned from the forum. rofl
Meh, no need to ban them, they just weren't for me Wink. My oldest liked them, but I was always kinda wary about making sure they were yellow enough as I had heard the more green ones were mildly toxic. Plus, I was hoping they would trellis and they definitely do not. So just a bunch of stuff pointing to them as a "no" for me. Cool veggie though! If I liked the taste I probably would have tried again in a better spot.
AlwaysHotinFL
AlwaysHotinFL

Male Posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 6/25/2017, 9:08 pm

My never again is corn.  I had visionss of beautiful stalks like I see with around here.  They were beautiful they grew great!  And every single ear of corn was infested with worms, infested to the point where there was more worm channels through the kernels than kernels n the cobs.

My on notice are improved telegraph cucumbers.  After a couple greabyears the last few have steadily been getting poorer with more finicky, easily dying and low producing sets. 

My do again is Long Anglais cucumber, when I can find it again, beautiful crisp mild cukes and great producer.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/25/2017, 10:12 pm

AlwaysHotinFL wrote:
 I had heard the more green ones were mildly toxic. 
That worries me, too. If I compost the green ones that won't turn yellow, could they harm the free-range chickens?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/25/2017, 10:15 pm

No_Such_Reality wrote:My never again is corn.  I had visionss of beautiful stalks like I see with around here.  They were beautiful they grew great!  And every single ear of corn was infested with worms, infested to the point where there was more worm channels through the kernels than kernels n the cobs.
That would break my heart. Sad Are there warning signs for worms or just a nasty surprise at harvest time?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 6/26/2017, 4:06 am

countrynaturals wrote:
AlwaysHotinFL wrote:
That worries me, too. If I compost the green ones that won't turn yellow, could they harm the free-range chickens?
The problematic compound in ground cherries is mostly solanine (maybe a few chemically similar compounds.) That's the same chemical that is in green potatoes, and potato plants. The chemical will break down in your compost.

I guess your chickens have access to your compost pile? The internet says you shouldn't feed green potatoes or peelings to your chickens, so I'd say you won't want them eating uncomposted unripe ground cherries either. The internet also says not to feed these to your chickens: avocado skins/pits, chocolate, dry beans (i.e. uncooked -- soaking/sprouting do not them ok), moldy food, and maybe citrus:
http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2013/04/7-things-you-shouldnt-feed-your-chickens.html
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/26/2017, 10:13 am

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:
AlwaysHotinFL wrote:
The problematic compound in ground cherries is mostly solanine (maybe a few chemically similar compounds.) That's the same chemical that is in green potatoes, and potato plants. The chemical will break down in your compost.

I guess your chickens have access to your compost pile? The internet says you shouldn't feed green potatoes or peelings to your chickens, so I'd say you won't want them eating uncomposted unripe ground cherries either. The internet also says not to feed these to your chickens: avocado skins/pits, chocolate, dry beans (i.e. uncooked -- soaking/sprouting do not them ok), moldy food, and maybe citrus:
http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2013/04/7-things-you-shouldnt-feed-your-chickens.html
I knew about the avocado, chocolate, and green potatoes. We don't compost those because the chickens love to graze in the compost heap. We do put a lot of citrus peels in there, however. I will check your link to see if need to change that. OTOH, we've been doing it for a long time with no ill effects, so maybe they're smart enough to ignore what isn't good for them.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 3 Empty What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow??

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 7/2/2017, 5:51 am

When I run out of seeds for the radish varieties KN-Bravo and Alpine I will not buy more. They don't get big like the pictures, no matter when I start them, plus they end up too riddled with cabbage root maggots to bother with. Leda and Summercicle do somewhat better.

I don't know if I'll try black mustard (for seeds) again. I had a difficult time getting them to germinate, and they went to seed more quickly than I expected. I thought I'd planted them in time for them to get big and healthy first, but they bolted before the other mustard varieties. And now the tall stems are flopping into the aisles and tripping me.

I'm still trying to grow cumin and nigella. I've sometimes gotten seedlings out of my attempts, but haven't succeeded in keeping them alive, partly because they are low priority.

I'm still trying to figure out Brussels sprouts - when to start, when to transplant, and why they don't make real sprouts for me.

Still trying fenugreek - looks like I've misunderstood its growing pattern. I took it to be a leafy herb that grows spring through to frost, but apparently it's more of a cool season plant like cilantro, which bolts when it gets too hot, and I guess stops producing, based on what I'm seeing. And/or my problem is that my MM doesn't have the nitrogen-fixing bacterial partner it needs.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? - Page 3 Empty RE: What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow ??

Post  newbeone 7/2/2017, 2:56 pm

Beetles a question please, On fenugreek I have planted it twice it comes up nice gets about 2" tall then dies, You mentioned it needed a nitrogen - fixing bacterial partner, I didn't know this. This winter I'm going to try it again coating the seeds with a rooting Hormone like you use for beans or peas I'll let you know how I make out
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 7/2/2017, 4:37 pm

newbeone wrote:Beetles a question please, On fenugreek I have planted it twice it comes up nice gets about 2" tall then dies, You mentioned it needed a nitrogen - fixing bacterial partner, I didn't know this. This winter I'm going to try it again coating the seeds with a rooting Hormone like you use for beans or peas I'll let you know how I make out
The 2" tall and then dying is also my experience. Last year I thought it was because I delayed transplanting - but transplanting on time didn't prevent it this year. 

The coating one uses isn't a hormone -- it contains dried up bacteria, often mixed with something so you can apply it more easily. I tried to research the right bacteria for fenugreek before unsuccessfully, but you inspired me to try again. And apparently I'm searching differently this time because I'm finding answers!

The pea/bean coating I used this year is Guard-N. (Sadly, it took me over a year to get the pun...Guard-N, Garden... darn funny ) It contains four kinds of bacteria: one for soybeans, one for the cowpea/yard-long bean type plants, one for peas, and one for garden beans.

The particular bacterial partner species fenugreek uses is different than those four. But it is the same as the partner used by alfalfa.  So here is a product that has the right match for fenugreek: https://www.groworganic.com/alfalfa-clover-inoculant.html

(As a side note, apparently the N-DURE brand also has a product with the bacterial species specific for chickpeas; Chickpeas won't partner with the any of the Guard-N four. So I might be able to improve my chickpea yields...)
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/11/2017, 11:41 am

So far I have the following on my "no grow" list for next year.

1. Tom Thumb Peas - mine turned out to be very short plants with very few pods. I got the heirloom seeds from Baker Creek. For me this is more of a novelty plant. I'm wondering if it can be grown indoors in an Aerogarden.

2. Kohlrabi - Takes up too much room for what you get, assuming you only want to eat the bulbs. I have them planted at 4 per square and the huge leaves shade adjacent squares. Also the bulbs have split on most of mine, probably due to the excessive rain. On the other hand, I just learned that the leaves can be eaten and are especially good if harvested when the leaves are small.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 7/11/2017, 12:17 pm

I'm thinking of adding kale to my do not grow list. I love watching it grow, and it does pretty well actually, I'm just not sure if I like eating it enough to continue growing it. It also seems to be pretty susceptible to pests. I've kept it covered to protect from white cabbage butterflies yet still had some, and this year it's been an uphill battle with aphids. Just might not be worth the effort since there are other things I enjoy eating more that I could be growing.
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 364

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/11/2017, 12:37 pm

trolleydriver wrote:So far I have the following on my "no grow" list for next year.

1. Tom Thumb Peas - mine turned out to be very short plants with very few pods. I got the heirloom seeds from Baker Creek. For me this is more of a novelty plant. I'm wondering if it can be grown indoors in an Aerogarden.

2. Kohlrabi - Takes up too much room for what you get, assuming you only want to eat the bulbs. I have them planted at 4 per square and the huge leaves shade adjacent squares. Also the bulbs have split on most of mine, probably due to the excessive rain. On the other hand, I just learned that the leaves can be eaten and are especially good if harvested when the leaves are small.
I agree about the Tom Thumb Peas.  Not efficient use of space.  That is a good idea about the Aerogarden.  Will have to try it.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/11/2017, 2:30 pm

Robbomb116 wrote:I'm thinking of adding kale to my do not grow list. I love watching it grow, and it does pretty well actually, I'm just not sure if I like eating it enough to continue growing it.  It also seems to be pretty susceptible to pests.  I've kept it covered to protect from white cabbage butterflies yet still had some, and this year it's been an uphill battle with aphids.  Just might not be worth the effort since there are other things I enjoy eating more that I could be growing.
According to Dr. Joel Fuhrman, author of The End Of Diabetes and The Eat To Live Plan, kale is the #1 best thing we can put into our bodies. If you make any kind of soups, you can cut it up into small pieces and add it to your stock. It's pretty, you'll know you're doing a good thing, and the flavor is so mild (dwarf curly -- not huge old leaves from large varieties) that you'll never know it's there.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/11/2017, 4:35 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
Robbomb116 wrote:I'm thinking of adding kale to my do not grow list. I love watching it grow, and it does pretty well actually, I'm just not sure if I like eating it enough to continue growing it.  It also seems to be pretty susceptible to pests.  I've kept it covered to protect from white cabbage butterflies yet still had some, and this year it's been an uphill battle with aphids.  Just might not be worth the effort since there are other things I enjoy eating more that I could be growing.
According to Dr. Joel Fuhrman, author of The End Of Diabetes and The Eat To Live Plan, kale is the #1 best thing we can put into our bodies. If you make any kind of soups, you can cut it up into small pieces and add it to your stock. It's pretty, you'll know you're doing a good thing, and the flavor is so mild (dwarf curly -- not huge old leaves from large varieties) that you'll never know it's there.
Interesting information re Diabetes and Kale. In fact, just a few days ago I told a diabetic friend that he needs to start eating more greens and in particular Kale.  

I'm using my SFG grown Kale (Scotch Curled) in green smoothies.Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/11/2017, 5:30 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:
Interesting information re Diabetes and Kale. In fact, just a few days ago I told a diabetic friend that he needs to start eating more greens and in particular Kale.  

I'm using my SFG grown Kale (Scotch Curled) in green smoothies.Very Happy
In a taste test, our rabbit chose kale over all other garden greens. Rolling Eyes Razz
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/11/2017, 5:53 pm

I am on the fence about kale too.  I know how healthy it is....but all I do is watch it grow.  And it does....it is quite lovely.  My problem is I do not use my stove or oven in the summer.  I have a commercial gas deal, and this thing literally heats my entire house.  Is there a way to preserve it for winter?  Freeze?  I don't can.

1. Kale
2. Romanesco

This thing is HUGE.  The leaves have already caused me to re-locate a pepper plant, despite proper spacing.  No idea what it will be like, is it broccoli or cauliflower?  Or both? Planted 3, 2 got eaten by varmints.

3. Pole beans

I did not plant them this year.  Again, I don't cook in summer with heat in the house.  I grill.  I did freeze some, but they weren't anything to call home about, tough and stringy (those were KY Wonder).  The purple ones were better.  But the &*%$#@Japanese Beetles!!!!!!  Evil or Very Mad  I don't know. I will see if I miss 'em.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 7/11/2017, 6:58 pm

Or maybe I should reserve kale for fall only. This spring's got decently bitter (still edible and i still got more) compared to last fall. It gets so hot so quick here. We barely have a spring really.
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 364

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/12/2017, 9:47 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:My problem is I do not use my stove or oven in the summer.  
I have an old Sunbeam electric steamer that I put in my outdoor laundry room. I can steam veggies and make zucchini bread all summer without heating up the house. If you have a porch with electricity, maybe that would work for you, too. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next