Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara - Page 2 Toplef10Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara - Page 2 I22gcj10Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara - Page 2 Toplef10Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara - Page 2 I22gcj10Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara

+13
Ginger Blue
plantoid
Mimi2
AtlantaMarie
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Kelejan
BeetlesPerSqFt
sanderson
Mikesgardn
yolos
Scorpio Rising
trolleydriver
llama momma
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara - Page 2 Empty Re: Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara

Post  sanderson 8/25/2016, 11:18 pm

Freeze half for a future batch.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara - Page 2 Empty Re: Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara

Post  trolleydriver 8/25/2016, 11:26 pm

First batch is done and tastes great. 

Here's my happy dance.

Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara - Page 2 Super-happy-dance-smiley-emoticon
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/27/2016, 7:37 pm

chicken danceEasy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara - Page 2 3170584802
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 8/27/2016, 10:57 pm

Just saw this and can't believe how easy it makes peeling tomatoes and making sauce!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TPNUBSzbm0
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 9/6/2016, 2:05 pm

Is this the one you're looking for, Kelejan?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/6/2016, 7:44 pm

Bless you Marie.  Yes, this is the one.  Now I can get the ingredients together and build up my store of tomatoes. So far I have about a quart of prepared tomatoes from odd ones I have been harvesting. They are now in the freezer along with the frozen basil. Lots more on the plants just waiting to get ripe.

I have already used the method in the video for peeling tomatoes and I can attest to how easy it is. Thank you Audrey-Jean.

Now I can see why I could not find it as I was not looking under Easy and Fabulous etc. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 9/6/2016, 9:17 pm

Thanks for posting this recipe. It is perfect for us. We've been giving away our tomatoes- but no need now Smile I am so happy it is easy too. I work full time and have two young kids- so I really don't have a whole lot of time left over. We don't have a lot of freezer space, but I can put this in jars, right?
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/6/2016, 9:53 pm

Mimi2 wrote:Thanks for posting this recipe. It is perfect for us. We've been giving away our tomatoes- but no need now Smile I am so happy it is easy too. I work full time and have two young kids- so I really don't have a whole lot of time left over. We don't have a lot of freezer space, but I can put this in jars, right?
I think you could preserve this however you want!  Just watch the oil if canning, of course!  .
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/7/2016, 9:38 pm

This recipe calls for freezing, not canning. Check for approved recipes that you can put up. Marie or Camp?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/7/2016, 9:51 pm

sanderson wrote:This recipe calls for freezing, not canning.  Check for approved recipes that you can put up.  Marie or Camp?  
I agree 100% with sanderson. It's safer to freeze this one.

I like to follow the USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning. I don't think this will pass the required acid levels for hot bath canning and I don't know if it could be used with pressure cooker canning. 

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 9/10/2016, 8:34 am

The marinara/Italian sauce I make is quite similar. I don't use the fresh basil or oil...

If you're going to can it, leave out the oil. And you'll need to add lemon juice for acidity. For that amount.... maybe a 1/4 - 1/2 cup or so. And that means that you will probably have to add a little sugar to cut down on the taste of the acidity.

Since it's got that many onions in it, it really would need to be pressure canned for safety.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/10/2016, 10:55 am

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
llama momma wrote:Beetles--

It was so nice to hear that helped you out!
Btw, at times I've also had leaky and buggy tomatoes and get annoyed with myself for not acting quicker.  I'll look at them and think oh those look good for another day or so....oops.

I've also heard a couple of people on the forum say they put extra tomatoes in the freezer until they decide what to with it.  I haven't tried that but its nice to know there seems to be endless ways to handle all these tomatoes.
Good suggestion, but alas, the freezer is pretty full right now. Ice cube season, homemade chicken stock made from organic chicken feet, an entire organic rabbit, and the remnants of several bulk purchases. I know I could hypothetically get a chest freezer, but I already seem to have a problem using what I have; for me, a chest freezer would make that problem bigger. I figured the marinara would cook down and I'd fit half in the freezer... but it cooked down enough that I used it all. Very Happy
  There is always space in the freezer for several bushels of tomatoes if you just drop them in all over the place  rather than put them in inside a large  container .

Alison has also used pressure canned tomatoes to make that crock pot slurry but used a big heavy lidded cast iron pan to reduce the jars contents . What was left after he home made pasts meal was put in one of our home made freezer bag moulds , frozen , taken out , then straightaway vac packed & heat sealed in a heavy embossed food pouch.  Finally going back in the deep freezer out in the garage .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/10/2016, 2:09 pm

I am making another batch tomorrow!  Good stuff!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 9/10/2016, 9:34 pm

I bought a crock pot today to make this recipe. I just got the ingredients together and put it on. Please wish me luck Smile
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 9/10/2016, 9:43 pm

Just checked out what is in Italian Seasoning. It appears to be equal parts basil, oregano, rosemary, marjoram, cilantro, thyme, savory, and pepper flakes. I have all of these growing in my garden- s I think I'll just throw I the fresh herbs.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/10/2016, 9:44 pm

I finished my first batch today using the 17 pounds frozen tomatoes a neighbour gave me.

Tomorrow I will make another batch.  It really does cook down and it almost seems so little return for so much work.  Then of course that is the idea aswe need the space so we do need to reduce the space it takes up.  Aftel, the goodness in the fruit still remains.

Not really complaining about the work as I have already prepared the onions and garlic and measure out everything else so  tomorrow it should be a doddle.

NB: Doddle is a British colloquial word meaning "an easy task".  I could have said "a piece of cake" but the doddle word came first. I would never make a good spy.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/10/2016, 9:48 pm

Mimi2 wrote:Just checked out what is in Italian Seasoning. It appears to be equal parts basil, oregano, rosemary, marjoram, cilantro, thyme, savory, and pepper flakes. I have all of these growing in my garden- s I think I'll just throw I the fresh herbs.

I went to our local Mother Nature's Pantry and they had Italian Spices so I measured out some of that.  Taking it home I recognised the different smells, then realized that I already have most of them in my cupboard.  But at 60p I could not go wrong.

I would always use fresh herbs if I had them.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 9/11/2016, 9:04 am

Kelejan wrote:I finished my first batch today using the 17 pounds frozen tomatoes a neighbour gave me.

Tomorrow I will make another batch.  It really does cook down and it almost seems so little return for so much work.  Then of course that is the idea aswe need the space so we do need to reduce the space it takes up.  Aftel, the goodness in the fruit still remains.

Not really complaining about the work as I have already prepared the onions and garlic and measure out everything else so  tomorrow it should be a doddle.

NB: Doddle is a British colloquial word meaning "an easy task".  I could have said "a piece of cake" but the doddle word came first. I would never make a good spy.
Ha ha! I don't think I'll be freezing any, since I only made half a batch. Hope there's enough to feed the family ;)Great way to use left over tomatoes though! So far mine looks a little watery so I'll have to cook it a bit longer with the lid off. Next time I think I'll use more garlic. The food processor worked great. Nice trick to avoid takin taking the peels off. I think I'll try to fresh tomato sauce and the salsa on the same site.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/11/2016, 9:50 am

Mimi2 wrote:I bought a crock pot today to make this recipe. I just got the ingredients together and put it on. Please wish me luck Smile
Pert near fool proof!  How did it go Mimi? Very Happy
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/11/2016, 9:51 am

Doddle!  Love it!  

Pert near, hillbilly American for pretty close or pretty near!  Lol!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 9/11/2016, 10:36 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:
Mimi2 wrote:I bought a crock pot today to make this recipe. I just got the ingredients together and put it on. Please wish me luck Smile
Pert near fool proof!  How did it go Mimi? Very Happy
It tastes great. I think we'll have it for dinner tonight Smile Leaving the lid off for a bit really thickened it up.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 9/11/2016, 9:04 pm

My daughter said it tastes like the sauce is cheering the spaghetti. She had three servings- and she usually isn't into tomato sauce at all. 

My son liked the sauce, but not the spaghetti.

I loved it too. Great recipe. Thanks for sharing
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/11/2016, 9:11 pm

Oh, and your crock pot will open new and wonderful doors for you,  I love mine! Use it tons!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 9/12/2016, 1:10 pm

LOVE my crock pots! I've got 5!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/16/2016, 7:48 pm

I have 3..... Love 'em!  It is like someone cooked you dinner when you come home!  Oh yeah, that was me!  Smells great!  cheers
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next