Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara Toplef10Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara I22gcj10Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara Toplef10Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara I22gcj10Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara

+13
Ginger Blue
plantoid
Mimi2
AtlantaMarie
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Kelejan
BeetlesPerSqFt
sanderson
Mikesgardn
yolos
Scorpio Rising
trolleydriver
llama momma
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara Empty Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara

Post  llama momma 8/20/2016, 1:14 am

How simple this is?
 Wash, core, food process or blender whole tomatoes with skins.  Toss into crockpot, add sautéed onions and garlic.  Ignore for hours. Last hour add dry spices.  No fussing over a pot.  Cool then freeze in containers or freezer bags. Very easy and tasty marinara sauce.  I doubled the recipe. Made a little under a gallon.

http://practical-stewardship.com/2013/08/24/crock-pot-marinara-sauce/
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara Empty Re: Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara

Post  trolleydriver 8/20/2016, 9:32 am

LM ... thanks for the article and recipe. I just may have to give that a try.  Smile
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara Empty Re: Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/20/2016, 9:34 am

Me too, thanks, LM!  How long did the lid off ok down take?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/20/2016, 9:39 am

About an hour depending how juicy the tomatoes.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/20/2016, 9:40 am

Question - the recipe calls for leaving the lid on for most of the cooking time.  I don't understand how that is not going to easily get rid of the excess moisture from the tomatoes.  They mention taking the lid off the last hour or so.  I have to cook mine forever to reduce the liquid.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/20/2016, 9:50 am

It was my first time making this and it worked for me.  Think it's just a personal preference how thick you want the results. (?) And how meaty or watery your tomatoes are to begin with.  I think throwing some tom paste in would help thicken it also.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/20/2016, 10:48 am

Update. I  doubled this recipe and cooked it down. Just weighed the results and filled three quart size freezer bags each had exactly 28 oz. with room to expand from freezing. Crock pot was so full, I thought there was more.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/20/2016, 1:21 pm

I am gonna try this tomorrow!  Thanks for the recipe!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/20/2016, 1:48 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:I am gonna try this tomorrow!  Thanks for the recipe!
Good luck!  I made another batch this morning. sunny
Next is dehydrating and making tomato powder.  Got to get rid of these maters jocolor
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 8/21/2016, 11:07 am

I  picked my last bunch of La Roma tomatoes yesterday, so I decided to try this recipe today.  I have it in the crock pot now.  The recipe says to cook on high for 4 hours, then check every hour until done, up to 8 hours total with the cover on.  What should I be looking for to tell if it is done?
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/21/2016, 11:16 am

Mike- I stirred, put some on a spoon to see if it was as thick as store bought.  Tasting it is part of the fun too. For example I find sugar is not needed in my opinion. Fresh home grown is very sweet tasting to me.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/21/2016, 1:44 pm

I finally looked at the link and liked the fact that the recipe could be "printed" without all of the rest of the material on the page. Thanks

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/21/2016, 3:00 pm

Me too Sanderson, and you're welcome.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 8/21/2016, 11:03 pm

Thanks for posting this recipe.   I followed the recipe as shown, and it turned out really well.   I really love the simplicity of it, although it does require that you have a strong blender like the Vitamix.   I found that it required a little more than 3 pounds of La Roma tomatoes to make the 7 cups of blended tomatoes called for in the recipe.  I did not core, peel, or seed the tomatoes.  I blended them whole, like the recipe said, and added the chopped onion, basil, oil, and garlic...and blended a little bit more.   I cooked the mixture on high for 7 hours with the cover on, then added the italian seasoning, sugar, salt, and pepper.....and cooked for another hour with the lid partially open.   Getting late, so I stopped there.  Consistency was not thick, but it tasted great.  Ended up with 8 cups of sauce.  Thanks again!
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/22/2016, 1:23 am

You're welcome Mike. I have other recipes for sauce but this is so easy and tasty.  I enjoyed this recipe for two reasons one, not having to remove skins and two, no need to babysit a pot.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/24/2016, 8:51 am

THANK YOU for posting this, llama mama!!! I had cracked/split tomatoes starting to go bad all over my kitchen, attracting fruit flies (I swear they can slip through window screens), the too-late ones making my compost bucket too wet...  This recipe cleared my problem right up, and it was delicious! I halved the sugar and salt, doubled the pepper, and added just a little cinnamon. I cooked it on the stovetop, uncovered the whole time, and made it nice a thick as is my preference. I still need to clean the blender and whatnot, but I'm so much less stressed out. 
thanks
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/24/2016, 10:21 am

Beetles--

It was so nice to hear that helped you out!
Btw, at times I've also had leaky and buggy tomatoes and get annoyed with myself for not acting quicker.  I'll look at them and think oh those look good for another day or so....oops.

I've also heard a couple of people on the forum say they put extra tomatoes in the freezer until they decide what to with it.  I haven't tried that but its nice to know there seems to be endless ways to handle all these tomatoes.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/24/2016, 6:13 pm

sanderson wrote:I finally looked at the link and liked the fact that the recipe could be "printed" without all of the rest of the material on the page.  Thanks
I know exactly what you mean, sanderson.
I am working on a recipe for making pectin, and if I printed it out it would take ten pages.  I tried to cut and past but it would not let me.  One would have to "join the club" for that privilege and I have so much stuff on my computer, (just like in my home Very Happy ) that I am trying to cut down.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/24/2016, 7:50 pm

Yes Sanderson I liked that feature also, no need to waste all those pages!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/24/2016, 10:10 pm

llama momma wrote:Beetles--

It was so nice to hear that helped you out!
Btw, at times I've also had leaky and buggy tomatoes and get annoyed with myself for not acting quicker.  I'll look at them and think oh those look good for another day or so....oops.

I've also heard a couple of people on the forum say they put extra tomatoes in the freezer until they decide what to with it.  I haven't tried that but its nice to know there seems to be endless ways to handle all these tomatoes.
Good suggestion, but alas, the freezer is pretty full right now. Ice cube season, homemade chicken stock made from organic chicken feet, an entire organic rabbit, and the remnants of several bulk purchases. I know I could hypothetically get a chest freezer, but I already seem to have a problem using what I have; for me, a chest freezer would make that problem bigger. I figured the marinara would cook down and I'd fit half in the freezer... but it cooked down enough that I used it all. Very Happy
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/24/2016, 10:21 pm

This recipe is THE BOMB.   I too had 2 weeks' worth of tomatoes of various varieties and this little gem handled them all and tastes great!  Yum!  Froze the rest.  Will be great in January....needs my lycopene.....

cherry
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/25/2016, 9:30 am

Mikesgardn wrote:Thanks for posting this recipe.   I followed the recipe as shown, and it turned out really well.   I really love the simplicity of it, although it does require that you have a strong blender like the Vitamix.   I found that it required a little more than 3 pounds of La Roma tomatoes to make the 7 cups of blended tomatoes called for in the recipe.  I did not core, peel, or seed the tomatoes.  I blended them whole, like the recipe said, and added the chopped onion, basil, oil, and garlic...and blended a little bit more.   I cooked the mixture on high for 7 hours with the cover on, then added the italian seasoning, sugar, salt, and pepper.....and cooked for another hour with the lid partially open.   Getting late, so I stopped there.  Consistency was not thick, but it tasted great.  Ended up with 8 cups of sauce.  Thanks again!

I was wondering how many tomatoes I needed for the 7 cups and now I know thanks to your post. Like you I will be using a Vitamix blender.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/25/2016, 12:03 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
Mikesgardn wrote:Thanks for posting this recipe.   I followed the recipe as shown, and it turned out really well.   I really love the simplicity of it, although it does require that you have a strong blender like the Vitamix.   I found that it required a little more than 3 pounds of La Roma tomatoes to make the 7 cups of blended tomatoes called for in the recipe.  I did not core, peel, or seed the tomatoes.  I blended them whole, like the recipe said, and added the chopped onion, basil, oil, and garlic...and blended a little bit more.   I cooked the mixture on high for 7 hours with the cover on, then added the italian seasoning, sugar, salt, and pepper.....and cooked for another hour with the lid partially open.   Getting late, so I stopped there.  Consistency was not thick, but it tasted great.  Ended up with 8 cups of sauce.  Thanks again!

I was wondering how many tomatoes I needed for the 7 cups and now I know thanks to your post. Like you I will be using a Vitamix blender.
BTW - thanks for sharing the blender detail, Mike: I did a quick/mostly peel and not-meticulous de-seeding before using my not-a-vitamix blender. (Peels came off the black krims pretty easily without the boiling step, and slicing in half the long way and scooping with an ice-tea spoon made short work of the de-seeding.)
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/25/2016, 12:37 pm

Oh Yikes!  What a Face

It's been pretty busy around here this morning. we have my Mom staying with us and two grandkids stayed overnight. But the error was all mine. I had "senior's brain". Instead of doing 3 lbs of tomatoes for 7 cups, I prepared 7 lbs of tomatoes. How stupid was that? Can't follow clear instructions! Now I have to find other things to do with these tomatoes. They have not yet gone through the blender but I did slice off some parts that did not look all that great.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/25/2016, 12:41 pm

Make another batch  of marinara TD and make someone think your are a marvelous cook. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum