Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND - Page 3 Toplef10SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND - Page 3 I22gcj10SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND - Page 3 Toplef10SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND - Page 3 I22gcj10SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND

+11
CapeCoddess
yolos
MrBooker
sanderson
donnainzone5
BeetlesPerSqFt
AtlantaMarie
Scorpio Rising
camprn
countrynaturals
Robbomb116
15 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND - Page 3 Empty Re: SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND

Post  sanderson 8/27/2016, 2:34 pm

Robbomb116 wrote: . . . Lastly, I forgot to mention I also built my mom 2 3x2 boxes to go on either side of the tool shed.  . . .  Well she had planted 3 squares of radishes last week and will plant another 3 this weekend.  She also has 100% germination rate!
That was nice of you to build your mom some boxes Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND - Page 3 Empty Re: SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND

Post  Robbomb116 8/27/2016, 3:05 pm

Me and mt 4 brothers decided it'd be a nice mother's day gift for next year, figured that's when she'd get the most use out of it.  Where the boxes are now she had some containers with the saddest looking cucumbers you've ever seen.  Told her she could grow them up a trellis and get way more out of the same area.  And I think the soil she put in the containers was pretty poor...
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 364

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 8/27/2016, 3:16 pm

Scratch the rain. Gonna still be dry for a while I guess.  And now they are saying 90 for the high tomorrow.   Thursday wass I a high of 62...  ND weather can never make up its mind...
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/28/2016, 7:08 pm

Robbomb116 wrote:It's normal rocket arugula, not wild arugula I think.   The packet literally only says "arugula".  

At this point , pretty much everything has germinated!  Only waiting on like 2 spots I seeded spinach and 1 swiss chard.  I'm pretty confident they will come up soon too!  Its been a nice cool week, but no frosts yet of course (although we did dip into the 40s at night already).  No rain this week, but we are supposed to get evening thunderstorms today and tomorrow. 

Also, I already go some tulle around the bed! My mom decorates weddings on the side and has a whole bunch of ivory tulle left from a wedding she won't need again!  Free stuff!  

Lastly, I forgot to mention I also built my mom 2 3x2 boxes to go on either side of the tool shed.  Its about the only place in the backyard she has room yet to build any more garden.  She's not as adventurous as me and doesn't want her garden to be in the front yard.  Well she had planted 3 squares of radishes last week and will plant another 3 this weekend.  She also has 100% germination rate!
The wild arugula is purportedly more cold tolerant (I haven't tried to see how cold normal rocket will survive to since it's my first year growing it), but also more peppery, and has smaller leaves. Mind you, the normal rocket IS still a good cool weather vegetable and the bigger leaves make it easier to harvest.

Yippy for free tulle! Hurrah for making more garden space for family! Three cheers for your first food from the garden (radish thinnings on the N&C Midwest thread)!cheers
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 8/29/2016, 11:04 am

Picture of the garden Sturm the recently added tulle.  Pretty much enduring has germinated!  Any advice on when I should start thinning the kale, arugula, bok choy, and spinach?  And when I do thin them out,  is there any chance I can transplant the seedlings to another square,  or would that just risk damaging the seedlings I wanted to keep in the same spot?SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND - Page 3 20160814
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/29/2016, 11:45 am

My kale (dwarf curly) is basically indestructible. Sorry, I don't know about the others.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/30/2016, 1:24 am

Robbomb116 wrote: And when I do thin them out,  is there any chance I can transplant the seedlings to another square,  or would that just risk damaging the seedlings I wanted to keep in the same spot?
It can be done; just be even so gentle. Practice on a couple.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/7/2016, 12:02 pm

From the Foundation FB page. http://www.gardeningchannel.com/the-health-benefits-of-radishes/

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 9/7/2016, 1:14 pm

Got my tulle up and away from the plants on a cave made of hardware cloth.  Should keep those butterflies out.   Might even be able to reuse it to keep rabbits out of my 2x4 strawberry bed I plan on having next year!SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND - Page 3 20160912
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/7/2016, 6:18 pm

Nice, Rob!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/7/2016, 10:05 pm

+1

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 9/11/2016, 8:55 am

Robbomb116 wrote:Got my tulle up and away from the plants on a cave made of hardware cloth.  Should keep those butterflies out.   Might even be able to reuse it to keep rabbits out of my 2x4 strawberry bed I plan on having next year!, SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND - Page 3 20160912
As the weather gets colder. cover that cage with 3mil plastic and you will get a few more weeks of growing time.  Leave it on all winter and use it to get a head start on cool weather greens in the spring.  

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 9/11/2016, 10:28 pm

walshevak wrote:

Kay
That was the plan!  And I had some on hand just for that purpose too! That is until I decided to paint the house and use it to catch all the paint chips and stray drops.  So another run to the hardware store.

Sounds like I'll need some before I can make that shopping trip though, we might get  a frost tomorrow night! Average frost date is Sept. 15th so it's not too early... just for tomorrow night I'll throw a tarp over is and take it off in the morning.   That'll give me enough time to get more 3mm plastic.
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 9/13/2016, 3:19 pm

I did get some 3 mil plastic last night and put it up in case there was a frost.   There wasn't any frost though, only got down to 42.   This morning I just lifted up two sides of the plastic to create a tunnel so the garden could get some fresh air and not get too hot during the day. 

Also I'm noticing my radishes are starting to get a little thicker stem/root right at the soil level, so I'm hoping they will be ready soon! It's been like 23 days  so they should be getting close.

Lastly, I feel as though the initial title of this thread has become out dated and was hoping to just keep this thread to share my experience this first year.   As such, I was hoping Sanderson could change the title of this thread to something along the lines of "SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND"  pretty please? Laughing
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/13/2016, 9:10 pm

You will definitely get some radishes and kale, Rob!   And Sanderson has the powah!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/14/2016, 2:21 am

hiddenID She strikes again!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 9/14/2016, 7:22 am

Thanks Sanderson!

I'm not so confident I'll get kale this fall, my one kale plant is really struggling to rec over from the cabbage butterflies that got at it early on before the tulle.  I'm not too heartbroken though, I don't really like to eat kale.  I was just hoping the combo of the work put into growing it and my own stubbornness would make me more likely to eat it.
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 9/14/2016, 8:41 am

Robbomb116 wrote:Thanks Sanderson!

I'm not so confident I'll get kale this fall, my one kale plant is really struggling to rec over from the cabbage butterflies that got at it early on before the tulle.  I'm not too heartbroken though, I don't really like to eat kale.  I was just hoping the combo of the work put into growing it and my own stubbornness would make me more likely to eat it.

rofl rofl  I have planted some things for the same reason.  Sometimes it works.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 9/19/2016, 9:29 pm

Some pics from the garden this evening.   

Here we got the space spinach in the front left and the toy choi in the back left

SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND - Page 3 20160913

[size=37]Here is some swiss chard in the back left and front right.   Idk why most of it is basically lying down on the MM.   Front left is the arugula, and the back right is my one lonely kale plant finally starting to recover from the cabbage butterfly larva eating most of it. [/size]
SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND - Page 3 20160914

Lastly is some more spinach and the radishes.  This spinach was double choice seeds bought from Walmart, its really not growing as fast as the space spinach that was recommended by a university for my area. 

SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND - Page 3 20160915
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/19/2016, 9:43 pm

cheers Nice!  You are doing great!  Your veggies are gonna be yummy!  Your kale will surprise you.  It is like The Terminator.  I grow Dwarf Blue Vates from Pinetree, OMG.  HUGE dwarf(?) plants...had to give it away...next year I will be more prepared and only put one in...if

Spinach looking great.  None of mine germinated...twice.  

I love radishes...have you ever made a radish sandwich?  Bread, butter (or mayo) salt, sliced radishes....done.  It is yummo.  My dad, Depression Era dude, ate these and onion sandwiches.  When I was a kid, I thought they were special.  Turns out, they are!    

I love you
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/20/2016, 3:46 pm

Nice! My Swiss chard always starts off leaning. Then the roots get a firm grip and the plant starts to grow upright.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/20/2016, 4:39 pm

SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND - Page 3 Pp-blank-thumb-38px
Robbomb116
A very belated glad you\'re here to you. happy hi

from Kelejan :canada: in British Columbia.

It was the new heading that caught my eye so I trotted over to say Hi! to see that I missed by over a month.

It is a good idea for all newbies to have their own thread at least for the first year; it is a wonderful way to keep track of your efforts in diary form.

Sanderson is the go-to person for any request like this.  She is so helpful.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 9/21/2016, 4:24 pm

Thanks for the welcome kelejan! 

So I was waiting for my radishes to get a little bigger before harvesting them, expecting them to get about an inch in diameter like the ones at the store... turns out the cherry belle radishes I planted says they are mature at 3/4" which most of mine have been that big for a couple days!  Guess I'm going to be harvesting some radishes when I'm off from work today! 

But I can't think about that yet, all my work isn't going to do itself...
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 9/21/2016, 8:07 pm

Here they are! I left a few in the garden to get just a little bigger.   I think the last knew in the photo is a different variety!  Different color and way longer tap root... kinda wish I would have kept that one in longer to see how our would have ended up.  Lastly, my wife can't stand radishes and wouldn't even try a bite of the one I cut up, but it was fully approved by my 20 month old daughter!
SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND - Page 3 20160916
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/23/2016, 11:25 am

Awww...they're wonderful! cheers Nice job!
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next