Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Freeze Dried Food Toplef10Freeze Dried Food 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Freeze Dried Food I22gcj10Freeze Dried Food 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Freeze Dried Food Toplef10Freeze Dried Food 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Freeze Dried Food I22gcj10Freeze Dried Food 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Freeze Dried Food

+4
CapeCoddess
AtlantaMarie
sanderson
Kelejan
8 posters

Go down

Freeze Dried Food Empty Freeze Dried Food

Post  Kelejan 8/1/2016, 1:40 am

Another month gone by and now it is time for canning season to begin plus the other methods of preserving.

My friend Persis, the one who delivers little bags of veggie peelings to me every time she passes by on her way to catch the bus, gave me a website address she read in the August edition of National Geographic of a freeze-dried machine she saw advertised that she thought would be a great idea.  She thought that we could share in the purchase of it and produce food that could last for 25 years without loss of nutrition or flavour.

So tonight I looked it up;  www.harvestright.com

Look it up if you have time and give us your thoughts. Please.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Freeze Dried Food Empty Re: Freeze Dried Food

Post  sanderson 8/1/2016, 3:21 am

affraid $$$$

The freeze dry unit would be great if you had to preserve lots of food for lots of people to last lots of years. And if that dyer event happened, would there be electricity to operate the machine? Or internet to reorder the oxygen tabs? I will stick to freezing, canning and drying (and eating fresh from the garden).

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/1/2016, 8:57 am

I have to agree.... At least with dehydrating, I know I can build a solar dehydrator if necessary. But that's an awful lot of money for something I may not be able to use in a catastrophe.

We've chosen not to use much (if any) freeze-dried food in our emergency stores. About the only exception I might make is powdered butter. And then I'd prefer to can ghee.

I've also heard that freeze-dried food can have a strange flavor... Does anyone else have experience with freeze-dried food & how they taste?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/1/2016, 1:25 pm

sanderson wrote:affraid  $$$$

The freeze dry unit would be great if you had to preserve lots of food for lots of people to last lots of years.  And if that dyer event happened, would there be electricity to operate the machine?  Or internet to reorder the oxygen tabs?  I will stick to freezing, canning and drying (and eating fresh from the garden).  

I agree completely with what you wrote. As soon as I saw that opening discount of $2,000 I just knew it was going to be way out of my league, even sharing with my friend.

I carried on reading out of interest, then found that preserving food for 25 years would make me 106 years of age.  The methods I use now will be enough for my needs.

Perhaps some one with enough money, a large family, and the time to do it would be worth while.  As to taste, I have no idea although the advertising says it taste like fresh.

The best option is to do what we are doing right now, growing fresh.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/1/2016, 3:19 pm

I have changed the Title and moved the thread to Canning and Preserving so it wouldn't get lost Wink .

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/1/2016, 4:00 pm

How big is that thing? It looks like a washing machine. Also kelejan, that $3000 is U.S. dollars. Shocked

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Freeze Dried Food Empty Yet another way to preserve

Post  Chuck d'Argy 7/16/2022, 9:17 pm

If this doesn't belong here in the non canning section, please move it. 

My Daughter in Law has taken up freeze drying candy and selling it on the internet. She really works at it and her company has grown from part time use of a small or medium size machine, to she now has added 3 large ones.  

It's a popular thing. the guy who was supposed to paint my house Pre Lockdown, when I contacted him post lockdown said he'd quit painting, couldn't afford to do that anymore as he had 9 large machines going 24/7 to support his freeze drying candy business.

The point of the above is to note that there is another method you may or may not be aware of. When I save enough pennies, and it takes something like $3000 worth of pennies, I am going to get a small machine to preserve meals and perhaps even garden produce. It is an overnight process, uses less space and effort than canning, and less storage space.

On weekends, my Daughter in law freeze dries leftovers, vacuum packs them, and the are good for 25 years with proper techniques and methods. 

The bottom line is they reconstituted some of their own home made freeze dried beef stroganoff for me once, and it tasted like it was right off the stove, chunks of meat and all. 

For those with the cash, here is another preservation technique that to my limited experience was very good.
Chuck d'Argy
Chuck d'Argy

plantoid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Freeze Dried Food Empty Freeze Dried Food2

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/17/2022, 6:38 am

chuck wrote:On weekends, my Daughter in law freeze dries leftovers, vacuum packs them, and the are good for 25 years with proper techniques and methods. 

We have a freeze dryer as well.  Keep in mind that items with a higher fat content will NOT last 25 years.  The fat will eventually become rancid...  Those items (like the stroganoff) will need to be consumed within 5 or 6 years.  That's why cycling through your supply is so important.

But we love our freeze dryer....!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 8/2/2022, 9:54 am

That sounds like a good thing to have when one considers the precarious situation with respect to electricity supply & fuel security .
A week or so with no electricity or permanent brown outs leading to defrosting of  fridges or freezers & most cold preserved grub will  be lost . 

Electric vehicle take up will further weaken the supply grids .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 8/9/2022, 1:16 pm

Have any of you with the freeze dryers / dehydrators  done white dutch or green cabbage or onions in thin slices then vac packed & heat sealed them if so can you piut up some pictures and let me know what type of long lifer bags you are using please?

Can any of you suggest any decent books to read up on the subject please ?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/10/2022, 7:07 am

plantoid wrote:Have any of you with the freeze dryers / dehydrators  done white dutch or green cabbage or onions in thin slices then vac packed & heat sealed them if so can you piut up some pictures and let me know what type of long lifer bags you are using please?

Can any of you suggest any decent books to read up on the subject please ?
We've done raw pieces in the fd.  They come out like very tasty styrofoam chips, lol.  Next time I'll dip in water seasoned with sea salt for an extra flavor boost.  

Long life bags will be mylar - at least 5 mil thick.  But 7 is recommended.  Be very careful in choosing your bags.  They may say Xmil thick, but they mean total vs each side.  If it seems to be cheaper than the competitor, that's probably why...  We get rolls that we can cut to the length we want.  Sheild n'Seal from Amazon seems to be pretty good.  But shop around.  We also just keep in vacuum sealed canning jars.

Currently there really aren't any books out, although there are a couple in the works.  Your best bet is to watch some youtube videos.  Retired at 40, Epicenter Bryan, Betty Sills are all pretty good.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

plantoid and sanderson like this post

Back to top Go down

Freeze Dried Food Empty freeze dried food

Post  lisawallace88 8/15/2022, 9:36 am

I would absolutely LOVE to have a freeze dryer, but cannot justify the expense at this time.  For me it wouldn't be so much "stocking up for the apocalypse" as "saving leftovers for when I'm either too old or too tired to cook".  I've watched several homestead youtube families and am reminded every time that even if the fd stuff only lasts 10 years, if I start NOW, I won't have to be one of those little old ladies who either gets meals on wheels or eats cat food because I am either incapable of cooking for myself any more or can't afford it.  I can afford it right now, so I would like to preserve some meals for hubs for when I'm sick or just not in the mood to cook.
Of course, it would be nice to have a successful enough garden to fd the bounty, but so far, my harvests can be consumed in a single meal, lol
lisawallace88
lisawallace88

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/22/2022, 7:29 am

I completely agree, Lisa!  It was a business expense for us...  And it's certainly come in handy.  We're working on meals for those days we're too tired as well.  (This getting old is not for sissies!)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

sanderson and lisawallace88 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 10/30/2023, 10:08 am

Bump this old thread.

We don't have a freeze dryer, though we have thought about it a few times. We preserve all of our food by either freezing or canning, but have often thought about longer term preservation, without the fear of a power outage causing the freezers thawing out. This fall, after the huge harvest of fresh vegetables, the thoughts have once again turned to whether or not to consider a freeze dryer.

We were invited to dinner at a friends house some time ago, and she had prepared a beef stroganoff that was delicious with apple pie for dessert. After the meal the discussion turned to how delicious the food was, and she mentioned that it was from their freeze dried storage. I would have never guessed that either that beef or the apples could have been from re-hydrated food.  Makes me wonder if we should re-consider looking at the Harvest Right Freeze Dryer?  Very Happy

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4470

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

sanderson, Scorpio Rising and lisawallace88 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  lisawallace88 10/30/2023, 11:28 am

I have wanted one badly for a few years, now.  Have finally convinced husband it would be a good purchase.  I do can (and will continue to do so) and freeze (also continuing) but a freeze dryer will give the option to preserve food that will not need either heavy, breakable jars or continuous power supply.
I often make more that we can enjoyably use, even as leftovers, so beyond "regular" food preservation use, I plan to use it for leftovers that we won't eat in the next couple of days.  Then, if either I don't feel like cooking or TSHTF, we have simple, home cooked meals that can be eaten with no more prep than hot water!
lisawallace88
lisawallace88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down