Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atl - Aug - Trying Something New Toplef10Mid-Atl - Aug - Trying Something New 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atl - Aug - Trying Something New I22gcj10Mid-Atl - Aug - Trying Something New 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atl - Aug - Trying Something New Toplef10Mid-Atl - Aug - Trying Something New 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atl - Aug - Trying Something New I22gcj10Mid-Atl - Aug - Trying Something New 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mid-Atl - Aug - Trying Something New

4 posters

Go down

Mid-Atl - Aug - Trying Something New Empty Mid-Atl - Aug - Trying Something New

Post  sfg4uKim Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:05 pm

What's the CRAZIEST garden experiment you've ever done?

I love to "push the envelop", and this year I'm going to try something REALLY crazy.

After the disaster of my tomatoes this season, although I'm getting an "okay" crop and have been able to collect seed, I'm going to take cuttings, root them in water and when the roots develop add a tablespoon of Mel's Mix to the water each week until the cup is filled with MM.

Then I'll pot each one that survives and move them where I can give them some good grow light love for the winter.

SOOOO please share YOUR crazy experiments. Did they work or not?

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Mid-Atl - Aug - Trying Something New WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl - Aug - Trying Something New Empty Relocating a Paper Wasp Nest

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:24 pm

Craziest thing I've tried (as opposed to experiment in the sense of hypothesis/control etc.) was  relocating a paper wasp nest.

Last year I noticed a paper wasp had built a nest in the eave of the front door frame.  
I wanted paper wasps visiting the garden as pest-control ... but above the front door wasn't an option for a nest.  Paper wasps, are in my experience, not aggressive, and the least defensive of the wasps I've interacted with. (Bald-faced hornets and yellow jacket wasps are the other end of my spectrum.)

I caught the queen in a glass(young nest, so she's the only wasp there), used tweezers to rip down the little nest, used a needle to sew a loop of thread through the stalk, taped the thread to cardboard, tied the cardboard into a pot (with the holes sealed), and transferred the queen into the upside-down pot, and left it overnight in the kitchen. I had hoped she'd find her nest and I could move the pot, and when she did an orientation flight on leaving the nest in the morning so she could find it in the new location/wouldn't abandon it. Didn't work. She wasn't on the nest when I moved it, and flew straight back to the front door from the backyard.

I then hung the pot using twine going over the top of the door to the inside doorknob, and slowly lowered the pot each evening after dark, then started moving it horizontally using a pair of shepherds hooks. This worked. I eventually got the nest where I wanted it, though I stopped sticking my face and a flashlight underneath to check for the queen about halfway through. The nest was bigger when I finally investigated at the end of the year, but I don't think it lasted the whole season. Not sure if it was abandoned part way through the move, or something else went wrong.
Photos of the nest when I moved it, and the plastic pot set up at the start of the move.
Mid-Atl - Aug - Trying Something New Img_7910Mid-Atl - Aug - Trying Something New Nest_710
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl - Aug - Trying Something New Empty Re: Mid-Atl - Aug - Trying Something New

Post  sanderson Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:14 am

Well, it was worth a try. Clever that you moved it a bit each day. Only a gardener would try it Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl - Aug - Trying Something New Empty Re: Mid-Atl - Aug - Trying Something New

Post  sfg4uKim Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:59 am

Wow that was an interesting thing to try.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

Mid-Atl - Aug - Trying Something New WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:47 am

UPDATE: (yeah, I know, I need to get some pictures)

Some of the tomato plants seem to be taking and some just rotting. Possibly the super stressed tomatoes are the ones not making it, but I didn't take notes.

Of the 16 varieties I've tried, only 8 have survived. But hey, that's 8 more plants than I had previously.

I'll see which varieties have died and see if the outdoor plants have any suckers on them so that I can try again.

Of those that are still alive, the addition of the Mel's Mix seems to have spurred new growth. They're about 1/4 MM and 3/4 water right now.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:18 am

I've had surprising success rooting tomato cuttings straight into moist potting mix (indoors, where I can keep an eye on the moisture level.)
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:21 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:I've had surprising success rooting tomato cuttings straight into moist potting mix (indoors, where I can keep an eye on the moisture level.)

I have never had success and neither has my neighbor. She also tried straight water until roots form and then planted them in moist Mel's Mix -- all of them died.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:33 pm

sfg4uKim wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:I've had surprising success rooting tomato cuttings straight into moist potting mix (indoors, where I can keep an eye on the moisture level.)

I have never had success and neither has my neighbor. She also tried straight water until roots form and then planted them in moist Mel's Mix -- all of them died.
It looks as though you have hit on a good way to propagate tomato cuttings, ffg4uKim. To me 50% is good.  Adding the MM in small stages must lessen the shock to the new plants. I adds the nutrients gradually along with the water retaining vermiculite.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:04 pm

Kelejan wrote:
sfg4uKim wrote:

It looks as though you have hit on a good way to propagate tomato cuttings, ffg4uKim. To me 50% is good.  Adding the MM in small stages must lessen the shock to the new plants. I adds the nutrients gradually along with the water retaining vermiculite.
Huh. I just looked back, and sure enough, Mel has an intermediate water rooting step listed.  thinking When I just stuck the cuttings straight into moist potting mix, I thought I was following the directions, but I guess not. So it might have been one of those things that worked for me just because I didn't know it shouldn't. Rolling Eyes

Both this and last years successful attempts were cherry tomato varieties, which may be relevant. I'd be curious to know whether roma/paste types are the ones giving you difficulty - and/or whether indeterminate types are giving better success.

I haven't tried this yet, but you could try aspirin water, or willow water, for the types that are being stubborn:
https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-instructions/home-made-plant-rooting-hormone-willow-water/
It should help against stress and rotting.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum