Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Which seeds to plant in mid-summer? Toplef10Which seeds to plant in mid-summer? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Which seeds to plant in mid-summer? I22gcj10Which seeds to plant in mid-summer? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Which seeds to plant in mid-summer? Toplef10Which seeds to plant in mid-summer? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Which seeds to plant in mid-summer? I22gcj10Which seeds to plant in mid-summer? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Which seeds to plant in mid-summer?

+4
AtlantaMarie
CapeCoddess
countrynaturals
Jeff Carlson
8 posters

Go down

Which seeds to plant in mid-summer? Empty Which seeds to plant in mid-summer?

Post  Jeff Carlson 7/23/2016, 10:27 am

I am new to SFG, my first year, am located in central NJ.  Planted 2/3 of squares from seed in late spring/early summer, the balance from plantlings picked up at local nurseries.  Have 8 squares fully harvested (or failed) that I want to do more planting in, but am having difficulty determining which plants are good to sow seeds in mid-summer.  My pole beans and sugar snap peas failed - I would like to try again but am thinking will be best to wait until early next spring.  My previous experience has been growing tomatoes, basil, chard, peppers & cucs from plants - planting them late spring, and that's it.  Planting from seed and multiple harvests are new to me.  Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated!
Jeff Carlson
Jeff Carlson

Back to top Go down

Which seeds to plant in mid-summer? Empty Re: Which seeds to plant in mid-summer?

Post  countrynaturals 7/23/2016, 10:41 am

happy hi Jeff. What's your hardiness zone? It might not be too late to try some more pole beans, but I'm a newbie too, so better wait for the experts to weigh in. thinking
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Which seeds to plant in mid-summer? Empty Re: Which seeds to plant in mid-summer?

Post  CapeCoddess 7/23/2016, 11:57 am

Hi Jeff! Welcome to the forum! If you have the All New Square Foot Gardening book, look in the back of it and there are charts that tell you what to plant for fall when. You need to know you first frost date, which you can Google, so you can count back from that.

Also, check out your current regional thread here on the forum. I believe its Mid-Atlantic July.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t20774-mid-atl-jul-2016-wwwwaaaaahhhhh

My zone may be similar to yours and I'm currently planting summer squash, cucumbers,s sugar and snow peas and bush beans. Inside I'm starting lettuce, cabbage and Pak choi. But there are so many other things that you can start right now. Check out the book and have fun!
What a Face
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Carlson 7/28/2016, 12:07 pm

I'm in zone 6b. Thanks I had forgotten about the planting schedule charts in the back of the book. Think I'll try planting from seed outdoors more pole beans, beets, spinach, Swiss chard. And maybe summer squash, and if I can find any at the garden center peppers from plantlings.
Jeff Carlson
Jeff Carlson

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/28/2016, 1:35 pm

Hi Jeff! Welcome, also, from Atlanta, GA! Glad you've found us.

Another resource I rely on is gardenate.com. Just put in your zip code & they'll give you a list of stuff you can plant/seed.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/28/2016, 2:06 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Hi Jeff!  Welcome, also, from Atlanta, GA!  Glad you've found us.

Another resource I rely on is gardenate.com.  Just put in your zip code & they'll give you a list of stuff you can plant/seed.
AM, when the gardenate web site says "plant in garden" are they talking about sowing seeds directly or setting out transplants?  For example, for my area in August it says I can "plant in garden" such things carrot, snow peas, kale, lettuce which I would normally sow directly as seeds rather than as transplants. Sorry if this is a stupid question.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/28/2016, 2:08 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Hi Jeff!  Welcome, also, from Atlanta, GA!  Glad you've found us.

Another resource I rely on is gardenate.com.  Just put in your zip code & they'll give you a list of stuff you can plant/seed.
AM, when the gardenate web site says "plant in garden" are they talking about sowing seeds directly or setting out transplants?  For example, for my area in August it says I can "plant in garden" such things carrot, snow peas, kale, lettuce which I would normally sow directly as seeds rather than as transplants. Sorry if this is a stupid question.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/28/2016, 4:14 pm

Not a stupid question at all, TD.

In looking thru my zone (7b/8a), I went back a few months to see what it said.

It looks to me that "plant in garden" is direct seeding. They have another one that says "plant out (transplant) seedlings," which is pretty transparent...

And under August it says for lettuce: Start undercover in seed trays and plant out in 4-6 weeks
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dzlater 8/6/2016, 9:22 am

CapeCoddess wrote:Hi Jeff! Welcome to the forum! If you have the All New Square Foot Gardening book, look in the back of it and there are charts that tell you what to plant for fall when. You need to know you first frost date, which you can Google, so you can count back from that.

Also, check out your current regional thread here on the forum. I believe its Mid-Atlantic July.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t20774-mid-atl-jul-2016-wwwwaaaaahhhhh

My zone may be similar to yours and I'm currently planting summer squash, cucumbers,s sugar and snow peas and bush beans. Inside I'm starting lettuce, cabbage and Pak choi. But there are so many other things that you can start right now. Check out the book and have fun!
What a Face
CC
Thanks for links.
This is exactly the info, I was looking for.
dzlater
dzlater

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/6/2016, 10:33 am

Hi, Jeff, and Welcome!  happy hi  I also signed up for the free Personalized Planting Reminders from Mother Earth News. They come to your inbox.  I got one today, for lettuce, spinach and radish into the garden direct seed!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Carlson 8/6/2016, 11:27 am

Awesome - thanks!  I just printed out the Mother Earth News chart and signed up for the reminder emails.
Jeff Carlson
Jeff Carlson

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 8/7/2016, 4:37 pm

I am in zone 6 and just put in some replacement cucumber seeds and they germinated in about 2 days...they are a 60 day variety so hopefully we can pick some more before the end of September.

We will also be focusing on fall seeding more bush beans, carrots, and beets beets over the next few days.  Some asian greens like Toy Choy and Tatsoi grow quickly and will be seeded soon as well.  I'm a bit behind on getting Chinese cabbage seedlings going indoors for the fall garden.

Need to find room/time for lettuce and radish too.

Garlic will go in around the end of October and grow through the winter along with spinach.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/8/2016, 8:27 pm

Jeff Carlson wrote:Awesome - thanks!  I just printed out the Mother Earth News chart and signed up for the reminder emails.
Yup!  When you get a chance, go over to the introductions thread and fill us in on your plans, experience, etc.!

Glad ya found us!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down