Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Southern Blight Toplef10Southern Blight 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Southern Blight I22gcj10Southern Blight 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Southern Blight Toplef10Southern Blight 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Southern Blight I22gcj10Southern Blight 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Today at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Today at 11:14 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 4:14 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:22 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 9:50 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 5:13 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Today at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Today at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Today at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Southern Blight

+7
walshevak
AtlantaMarie
camprn
Windmere
bigdogrock
johnmcc
yolos
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Southern Blight Empty Southern Blight

Post  yolos 7/20/2016, 4:25 pm

Unfortunately, my suspicion of Southern Blight on my beans and tomatoes was confirmed by the county extension office.  Here is what they said.

Diagnosis: Southern Blight, Sclerotium rolfsii 

Recommendation: Nice images! May use them in talks if that is OK. Pretty clearly Sclerotium in the images. This problem has been very common lately due to hot, humid weather. While many plants can be infected, the fungus seems to prefer beans, tomatoes, and peppers. The problem with raised beds is that they tend to be used constantly often leading to more soil pathogens. The soil also tends to get mixed and will distribute the pathogens more than in natural soils. Not sure what to say about reusing the soil. A couple of plants with this disease is normal since the fungus is in most soils. If the problem is widespread and many plants are dying then the soil may be heavily contaminated, although may be ok if the beds are only used for cool season crops such as greens. Another problem with reusing soil in raised beds is that the fungus will get mixed throughout the soil profile instead of staying in certain areas. Excess water and constantly wet soils will increase disease. Allow the soil to dry out completely before watering. Water deeply but less frequently. Keep the water away from the crown area if possible. A better rotation plan should be used where beds with tomatoes, peppers and beans this year are not used in the same beds for the next couple of years. Remove and discard diseased plants. Do not compost.

The pictures of the tomatoes just show wilted plants and there is no indication on the pictures that it is actually Southern Blight.  So I may ask that those plant samples be sent to an actual lab for testing.  The picture of the bean was good and here is a copy of the plant and the stem where is goes into the soil.  See white stuff growing around the stem.  That was what they used to identify this disease.  The same white stuff was growing around one of the three tomatoes that were also affected.

Southern Blight Bean_s10
Southern Blight Bean_s11
Southern Blight Bean_s12

The only redemming aspect about this whole mess is that I had planned on replacing the exact beds that have been affected by the disease anyway.  But I had planned on saving the soil and reusing it.  Now, I think I may just toss it.  My research on the internet shows this type of Blight is bad stuff.  It is soil borne and stays in the soil for years.  I do rotate my tomatoes every year so that is not a problem.  I have been planting beans in this same spot for 3 years in a row due to the trellis set up.   Southern Blight 671790
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Southern Blight Empty Solarizing soil

Post  johnmcc 7/20/2016, 5:25 pm

Have you thought about solarizing the soil in your bed? Will solarizing kill the southern blight fungus?
johnmcc
johnmcc

Male Posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Southern Blight Empty Re: Southern Blight

Post  bigdogrock 7/20/2016, 5:41 pm

I have never heard of this before, so I looked it up. Southern Blight is specifically mentioned to be cured by this. Here is the link:

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74145.html

in case you were wondering or if somebody wants a quick explanation. Thank you John for recommending this, I learned something new! thanks
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/20/2016, 5:44 pm

johnmcc wrote:Have you thought about solarizing the soil in your bed? Will solarizing kill the southern blight fungus?
Yes I have thought about solarizing the soil.  The affected soil is in one 4 x 4 bed and 3 beds that are 2 x 2.  The U of Fl says you can reduce the number of disease organisms if the temp remains high enough.  So I have considered it.  I am going to replace the bed frames this fall/winter anyway due to decay.  So the only question is whether to reuse the soil after solarization or just start over with new soil.  This is Mels Mix which is now 5 years old so I would already be reconditioning it some anyway.  We shall see.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 7/20/2016, 6:34 pm

Thanks for that information yolos.  I'm so sorry about what happened.  Sad
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/21/2016, 8:55 am

In my garden beds, after about 3 years, despite the addition of compost, the mid is pretty spent and I dig out the mix and toss it onto my perennial flower beds.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Southern Blight WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/21/2016, 9:08 am

camprn wrote:In my garden beds, after about 3 years, despite the addition of compost, the mid is pretty spent and I dig out the mix and toss it onto my perennial flower beds.
Thanks Camprn, that is kind of what I was thinking.  Except I am not sure I want to spread the disease around.  I think I remember reading that there are 500 plants that can act as a host for the disease.  So I may just dump it way out in the woods behind my house.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Southern Blight Empty Age of beds

Post  johnmcc 7/21/2016, 11:27 am

yolos wrote:
johnmcc wrote:Have you thought about solarizing the soil in your bed? Will solarizing kill the southern blight fungus?
Yes I have thought about solarizing the soil.  The affected soil is in one 4 x 4 bed and 3 beds that are 2 x 2.  The U of Fl says you can reduce the number of disease organisms if the temp remains high enough.  So I have considered it.  I am going to replace the bed frames this fall/winter anyway due to decay.  So the only question is whether to reuse the soil after solarization or just start over with new soil.  This is Mels Mix which is now 5 years old so I would already be reconditioning it some anyway.  We shall see.

How old are the beds? What kind of wood did you build them with? 

I built my raised bed out of cedar. I've wondered how long it will last. I thought about using a composite material in my next bed but the stuff is very expensive.
johnmcc
johnmcc

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/21/2016, 11:36 am

johnmcc wrote:
yolos wrote:

How old are the beds? What kind of wood did you build them with? 

I built my raised bed out of cedar. I've wondered how long it will last. I thought about using a composite material in my next bed but the stuff is very expensive.
The frames were made from 2" by 10" pine boards.  I treated them with raw linseed oil.  So far, they are 5 years old.  I think they could limp along for at least one or two more years.  But, roots from the nearby oak and dogwood trees have invaded my garden.  So I am starting to raise all my beds at least 12 inches off the ground.  So these few beds have to be reworked anyway.  Yea, I have considered composite materials also but so far I just can't see growing in composite material, just seems unnatural.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/21/2016, 1:37 pm

Yolos, what about cement? That's what we're going to go to once these rot...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/21/2016, 3:01 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Yolos, what about cement?  That's what we're going to go to once these rot...
Yep, I have seriously thought of cement.  Would you mix it yourself or get a cement truck to deliver it.  I have also thought of concrete blocks for the base.  Then I would need a bottom to the top that will sit on the cement block or concrete lower box.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/21/2016, 11:00 pm

Those pictures look like my cucumber vines and tomatoes and  beans.  One planting of beans  and all the tomatoes are in new MM.

Has anyone tried mustard greens as a cover crop for soil pathogens?  http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-8964-mustard.aspx

http://wallacewow.com/products/mighty-mustard-seed

I'm not going to be planting a fall garden this year and though maybe I'd plant this in all my beds in Sept  

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Southern Blight Empty Raised bed using cinder blocks

Post  johnmcc 7/21/2016, 11:35 pm

yolos wrote:
AtlantaMarie wrote:Yolos, what about cement?  That's what we're going to go to once these rot...
Yep, I have seriously thought of cement.  Would you mix it yourself or get a cement truck to deliver it.  I have also thought of concrete blocks for the base.  Then I would need a bottom to the top that will sit on the cement block or concrete lower box.

I used cedar to build my bed, plywood for the bottom, and cinder blocks to get my bed off the ground.

Southern Blight IMG_0140
johnmcc
johnmcc

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/22/2016, 12:47 am

bigdogrock wrote:http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74145.html
This is a good solarization site. Thanks. It's was what Dstack used to solarize his beds for nematodes.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21528

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/22/2016, 12:47 am

John, nice looking bed.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21528

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/22/2016, 7:14 am

yolos wrote:

We'll do it ourselves. Mike's (DH) got a lot of experience with pouring concrete and setting up forms, etc.

I've also thought about blocks (like Brainchasm's), but don't really like the look that well. Although the extra places for herbs, etc would work...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Southern Blight Empty Thanks

Post  johnmcc 7/22/2016, 4:44 pm

sanderson wrote:John, nice looking bed.

Thanks!..
johnmcc
johnmcc

Back to top Go down

Southern Blight Empty Southern Blight!

Post  littlejo 7/22/2016, 11:53 pm

So sorry you have to go thru this!

I've been a member for a few yrs. now and have had most diseases and animals that affect gardens.
I had Southern Blight, and had a bad time with the county ext. folks. They did not like SFG, because it used MM. Well, it spreads very quickly, a heavy rain can put it in the isles, next heavy rain can put it in the next bed, on and on. I had it all over,  part due to me, picking veggies in 1 bed, then going to next bed, without scrubbing and changing clothes between beds,  and soil solarizeing was sort of out of question since I have too many beds. You won't know if you have it in the next bed until you try planting something that is affected like tomatoes.
I found an article about using mustard to fumigate soil. I got some cheap seed for mustard from the farm store. I planted every spot that was bare, and just sprinkled in the isles, and kept watered til it sprouted. I picked some to eat(it's good in cool weather) When it got grown, maybe the size of lettuce, I turned under as best as I could. I also planted between the mustard plants.
I cannot promise that this will def. work, but, it worked for me. I have not had S. Blight since this 1 time. Instead of just leaving some beds fallow in winter, I always plant some mustard, since it is easier than weeds to pull, and it makes good compost material!
Jo Ann
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/23/2016, 8:46 am

Thank you. What wonderful, helpful info, After reading, I noticed/recalled I don't have that problem where mustard, onion or garlic is planted.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/23/2016, 8:52 am

little jo - does the variety of mustard make any difference ????
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 7/23/2016, 10:24 am

Yolos, I bought the cheapest one available. I didn't choose the more expensive ones that don;t get bitter in heat for I thought they maybe bred out the part that works. Mustard is usually a cool weather crop, at least down here.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/23/2016, 11:26 am

littlejo wrote:Yolos, I bought the cheapest one available. I didn't choose the more expensive ones that don;t get bitter in heat for I thought they maybe bred out the part that works. Mustard is usually a cool weather crop, at least down here.
Jo
Thanks for that info little jo.  I am now trying to figure out what to do with the aisles. The water from those beds that are infected routinely leaked into the aisles.   There is hard packed clay under the pine bark mulch in the aisles.  I doubt anything will grow in the aisles.  Maybe rake off the mulch and cover with plastic to solarize or to just keep the bad guys from moving around the garden as I walk.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 7/23/2016, 11:52 am

yolos
You  are lucky to have isles that won't grow weeds! I would grow plenty of mustard elsewhere, then put in a blender to puree. Put in Sprayer with water and spray isles. Don't do anything to cause isles to grow! Good luck!
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/23/2016, 12:56 pm

littlejo wrote:Yolos, I bought the cheapest one available. I didn't choose the more expensive ones that don;t get bitter in heat for I thought they maybe bred out the part that works. Mustard is usually a cool weather crop, at least down here.
Jo
Glad to know it made a difference.  I happen to love mustard greens and will put some of the plants to use as food, but I also plan to plant in every bed and every bucket this fall, except for the garlic bed  For that I will use one of the new MM beds. Maybe I'll also plant it in the compost piles and around and under the tabletops.  

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/15/2016, 1:18 pm

Because Southern Blight has infected some of my beds, I have been researching the best way to sterilize tools.  One think I did learn is about bleach.  I don't think the chlorine bleach will be the best disinfectant.  This article and others I have read say that the mixture will become impotent after a very short time.  

https://ag.umass.edu/fact-sheets/cleaning-disinfecting-greenhouse

Chlorine bleach. There are more stable products than bleach to use for disinfecting greenhouse surfaces. Chlorine bleach may be used for pots or flats, but is not recommended for application to walls, benches or flooring. When used properly, chlorine is an effective disinfectant and has been used for many years by growers. A solution of chlorine bleach and water is short-lived and the half-life (time required for 50 percent reduction in strength) of a chlorine solution is only two hours. After two hours, only one-half as much chlorine is present as was present at first. After four hours, only one-fourth is there, and so on. To ensure the effectiveness of chlorine solutions, it should be prepared fresh just before each use. The concentration normally used is one part of household bleach (5.25 percent sodium hypochlorite) to nine parts of water, giving a final strength of 0.5 percent. Chlorine is corrosive. Repeated use of chlorine solutions may be harmful to plastics or metals. Objects to be sanitized with chlorine require 30 minutes of soaking and then should be rinsed with water. Some would say that rinsing is not necessary. Bleach should be used in a well-ventilated area. It should also be noted that bleach is phytotoxic to some plants, such as poinsettias.

I mixed a solution and leave it near the garden and use it whenever I use any tools.  But now I learned that the solution will degrade very fast.  One article I read says to use it within 20 minutes.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next